We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs up The New Housesteads Suggestions

i was thinking do you know how you can buy a house well i was thinking that you could change it up try something new take the houses out and just put lots in you buy a lot and pay the monthly upkeep to keep the house. build your house by using the wood you harvest out in the middle_earth when you are building your house the bigger it gets it adds one chest and the max is 5 the max height would be 2 stories you could put the furniture were ever and how ever you want and in the kinship houses you would get a band max storage 1000 slots but to get the slots it starts out low and you add wood to increase the storage i think this would make the housing more popular and people would pay there upkeep more often because they put so much work and effort in to it.

A revamp has been in the works (details unreleased) so who knows what is coming. That said, 1000 would be complete overkill and considering the problems that already exist with storage, it would likely be unreasonable. Also, the whole build-your-own-house thing sounds like EverQuest Next. There are enough MMOs (LOTRO included) that like to try and borrow features from other games, but that just gets old fast.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 105 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/105 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/62 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

and if you aren't a forester and can't harvest wood? have to pay even more to get the wood to 'build' your house? or are you suggesting creating 'resourses' that non-foresters can harvest for that purpose?

It would take some work, but way back when played Ultima Online, you had various house styles available for each lot size. It would be nice if the same could be worked into the neighborhoods. Each lot would stay the same size they are today, but you'd have several options for what house style you'd put in that lot. The styles would still need to be in keeping with the theme of the neighborhood though.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    and if you aren't a forester and can't harvest wood? have to pay even more to get the wood to 'build' your house? or are you suggesting creating 'resourses' that non-foresters can harvest for that purpose?

yes goldensilence that is what im suggesting that they should make forester so anyone can get the logs sorry i did not mention about forester i was kinda tired when i posted

Quote Originally Posted by Brom_Ironfist View Post
    It would take some work, but way back when played Ultima Online, you had various house styles available for each lot size. It would be nice if the same could be worked into the neighborhoods. Each lot would stay the same size they are today, but you'd have several options for what house style you'd put in that lot. The styles would still need to be in keeping with the theme of the neighborhood though.

even with house styles it would be nice but the biger the house still the more chest because the storage in them now is small i was thinking if we had 5 chest people would have more room for more items in the house and it would tell people look at my house my progress my work it would make it more interesting and the houses would probably become more popular

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    A revamp has been in the works (details unreleased) so who knows what is coming. That said, 1000 would be complete overkill and considering the problems that already exist with storage, it would likely be unreasonable. Also, the whole build-your-own-house thing sounds like EverQuest Next. There are enough MMOs (LOTRO included) that like to try and borrow features from other games, but that just gets old fast.

mar-evayave i was not saying steal the idea from any other games i was just saying to come up with there own ideas in house the house would be build and stuff it would not make it so you can put every last detail how you want it and i think ever quest it to much on the houses they make it so the book shelf's you can pt the books house you want then and here you want them on the shelf's that just to much

Quote Originally Posted by thearrow123 View Post
    yes goldensilence that is what im suggesting that they should make forester so anyone can get the logs sorry i did not mention about forester i was kinda tired when i posted
    multi-quote is your forum friend

even with house styles it would be nice but the biger the house still the more chest because the storage in them now is small i was thinking if we had 5 chest people would have more room for more items in the house and it would tell people look at my house my progress my work it would make it more interesting and the houses would probably become more popular

mar-evayave i was not saying steal the idea from any other games i was just saying to come up with there own ideas in house the house would be build and stuff it would not make it so you can put every last detail how you want it and i think ever quest it to much on the houses they make it so the book shelf's you can pt the books house you want then and here you want them on the shelf's that just to much

sounds like a great idea, but i don't see them doing something like this because they would have to completely recreate alot of housing data etc. But it is a great idea. I personally would make it a little more complex. It would require not only would but metals, etc so that all classes can effect the end results. Maybe the craftier tier that you are at would affect the result of the finished house. So I think something like this would be really neat but I don't see them doing something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrneb View Post
    sounds like a great idea, but i don't see them doing something like this because they would have to completely recreate alot of housing data etc. But it is a great idea. I personally would make it a little more complex. It would require not only would but metals, etc so that all classes can effect the end results. Maybe the craftier tier that you are at would affect the result of the finished house. So I think something like this would be really neat but I don't see them doing something like this.
    thank you Alexned

Given the limitations of the game software what we would get would be similar to housing in Skyrim where there is very limited customization. In Skyrim when building your big house you have 3 wings where you can choose between two options for each wing. There is one place where you can choose which Skyrim God to honor at your house shrine. Everything else is fixed. You have to spend a lot of time gathering the materials. making parts and putting them together to get a house that is identical to thousands of others homes players have built.

The real customization is choosing to not build a part like a fire place in the living room area.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, tons of people are saying the upcoming skill trees are just a rip-off of WoW, etc. You can share the same mechanisms without being guilty of stealing them from others. But the upcoming housing system for EQN sounds a lot like what you proposed here. At this stage in the game (after so much development and whatnot) I'm not sure whether it would even be feasible (for financial reasons if no other) for them to rework the housing system. It would be a huge undertaking and might require code that simply wasn't written in 6 years ago, and may not be possible to write it in this late in the game.

Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, tons of people are saying the upcoming skill trees are just a rip-off of WoW, etc. You can share the same mechanisms without being guilty of stealing them from others. But the upcoming housing system for EQN sounds a lot like what you proposed here. At this stage in the game (after so much development and whatnot) I'm not sure whether it would even be feasible (for financial reasons if no other) for them to rework the housing system. It would be a huge undertaking and might require code that simply wasn't written in 6 years ago, and may not be possible to write it in this late in the game.

yes but Mar-Evayave just because the game has similar things does not mean that its off of another game and i do not car what people say i still would like them to do the houses over i think it would give them something new and it would interest alot of people even if there is alot of people not in to it it still world interest others

yes but Mar-Evayave just because the game has similar things does not mean that its off of another game and i do not car what people say i still would like them to do the houses over i think it would give them something new and it would interest alot of people even if there is alot of people not in to it it still world interest others
    I agree that this would be neat to see in the game but as Mar-Evayave said it may not even be possible to add something like that to lotro.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrneb View Post
    I agree that this would be neat to see in the game but as Mar-Evayave said it may not even be possible to add something like that to lotro.

Alexned people may think it is imposable to do but you can do anything if you put your mind to it if everything works out well and i get in to college im going to try and get a job with turbine im going in and going to be doing computer and programing and like it says up to its a suggestion if they use it ill be happy and im saying for the wood they put something in that will just go with the houses you can harvest and make in to what yoy want for the house like an other ability not useing th crafting ability that there it is possable they will have to redo the scripts but it will not be that hard to do i mad some games and programs my self in the pass

AND

Alexned people may think it is imposable to do but you can do anything if you put your mind to it if everything works out well and i get in to college im going to try and get a job with turbine im going in and going to be doing computer and programing and like it says up to its a suggestion if they use it ill be happy and im saying for the wood they put something in that will just go with the houses you can harvest and make in to what yoy want for the house like an other ability not useing th crafting ability that there it is possable they will have to redo the scripts but it will not be that hard to do i mad some games and programs my self in the pass

This is false. The pie has been baked -- there is no way to separate the ingredients by now. To do something of the scale you are describing would require a complete rewrite. That means literally throwing away the existing code and making all new code, which would screw up anything in the game that current depends on the old code. By the time that it was done, what they've literally done is made a new game -- a new pie, in other words. They can't take the nutmeg, eggs and sugar from the old pie and stick them into the new one. New pie = new ingredients.

And if you still don't believe the above analogy and explanation, I'd be curious what sorts of games you've made in the past. My brother is a computer programmer. It's his profession and he's making serious money doing it. My dad also works on coding, and has done so for the past few decades. Believe me, you may have made some games, but my guess is that they are on the level of coding that the old CC used. Completely different ballparks (or bakeries, if we go back to the pie analogy). And that isn't to make what work you've done seem less worthwhile. But it's just plain different. It would be like comparing apples and oranges.

mmmm....pie....i like pie. LOL

but yes, the analogy holds. once a game has been introduced and has a player base, i'd dare say, even once it's released for beta, a change that significant would definitely require a re-write. while it may not be a total re-write, it would be significant enough to delay release for quite awhile.

AND

This is false. The pie has been baked -- there is no way to separate the ingredients by now. To do something of the scale you are describing would require a complete rewrite. That means literally throwing away the existing code and making all new code, which would screw up anything in the game that current depends on the old code. By the time that it was done, what they've literally done is made a new game -- a new pie, in other words. They can't take the nutmeg, eggs and sugar from the old pie and stick them into the new one. New pie = new ingredients.

And if you still don't believe the above analogy and explanation, I'd be curious what sorts of games you've made in the past. My brother is a computer programmer. It's his profession and he's making serious money doing it. My dad also works on coding, and has done so for the past few decades. Believe me, you may have made some games, but my guess is that they are on the level of coding that the old CC used. Completely different ballparks (or bakeries, if we go back to the pie analogy). And that isn't to make what work you've done seem less worthwhile. But it's just plain different. It would be like comparing apples and oranges.
    Great analogy.

thearrow123: Yes determination is great and will get you far but there are somethings that just can't be done. here's an example to go along with what Mar-Evayave is saying. Ok let's say you have a computerwith a single core processor, 1/2 GB of ram, and an ancient graphics card. All the want in the world will not make that computer run high graphics games. Once again this new housing idea sounds really neat but there are two problems, 1. It may not even be possible to do that with lotro's old programming, 2. Turbine would have to want to do it and I really thing they aren't in the mood to do any recreating of that sort.

I do wish that turbine would upgrade the graphics and maybe the combat system to more of a GW2. Not only would I play it more but I think it would grab alot of people who don't play it due to it's low graphics.

Cool

The idea of building a house might be interesting, but how do you convert
    already owned and decorated houses to ones that can be built on? Might
    be you could add the option of adding a second story room? A room full
    of slots that someone could turn into a trophy room?

The only change/add on I would love to see for the homes is that they
    add a grid of slots for the banners you win from war-bands, because I
    have too many in the bank i'd really like to have on display in my yard
    and not sitting in the bank. Something like a grid of 5 or 6 for a basic
    house and possibly 8 to 10 for a deluxe? I know the house I have has
    room next to it for a staggered grid that would fit 11 or 12 banners.