We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why can't we buy store items to hold until we can use them?

In the store, one cannot see or buy anything that you aren't qualified for, if I am correct on that. So if I'm not over 75ish level, I'm not able to see war steed cosmetics, or see Riding skill if I am looking on a character that is too new or already has the skill.

So my desire is to have the ability to buy something before I can use it, assuming I could ever use it. I realize that in this case, I would have to store the item and would not be able to use it until the character qualified for it, but I am thinking about limited offers. If I want the bone set of war steed cosmetic, but don't have a character with war steed capability yet, then why can I not buy it and hold it until I can?

Having pre-bought HD, I get a set of war steed cosmetic armor, and it sits in the bank until I can use it. Isn't it in the interests of everyone to have this option? Turbine gets my TP/$ now, I wait, but at least reserve something for later that I may not get to have once I qualify.

I can see why they don't allow you to do that.
    Imagine they put up warsteed cosmetics on sale. You want to buy -then-.
    You go through all your under-leveled characters buying the cosmetics on sale.

That's good for you, yes. But not for turbine. They want you to buy at full-price.
    And on the same note, if you -do- have a character that's appropriately-leveled,
    they want you to really feel the pressure/urge to buy it while on sale, while you can.

Still, it would be nice to at least -see- some things on all characters - regardless
    of whatever requirements the item holds. Even if the "Buy now" is grayed out and
    unusable, it'd be nice to be able to try cosmetics on n' such.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000046ddaa/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I take your point, but I think the reasons for sales is to stir up buying where there wasn't already buying. If they want impulse-buys, then a sale promotes that. Why should it matter to them if I have all 85 characters and buy at sale price or all level 20 guys that can't even use it for ages? They got the sale they wanted and would never normally get in the case of the all-lowbie player. It's the risk of the lowbie player that he may never see his ROI for the sales, but no risk for Turbine. The sale at all is worth more than the loss of the difference.

The problem with that, Mechabadger, is that in the beginning of the store people were confused about seeing stuff they couldn't use in the store and accidentally buying it and then Turbine ended up with many customer service requests for refunds and the like.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#00cc00][B]Founding Member: Sapience Fan Club and Adoration Society[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Could make a section of the store for those specific items.

Say for example i am VIP for a month and i have TP i would like to spend on a quest pack for future use when my VIP is out at the end of the month, but i have to wait until my VIP service is done before it will show up in the store, i wont have the character i am buying the quest pack for up to that point of the game by then, so now i have to continuously budget my TP's, i would rather buy it now when i have the money/points to buy it, not later when i may not have the money at that time. If theres an open chance for me to give turbine money they should not deny it.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

I think this is a valid complaint. Turbine only makes money through the store if I purchase Turbine Points. I probably won't purchase more TPs unless I'm running out. I'm not likely to run out unless there is something I want in the store. If there is something I want, but they refuse to sell it to me because I'm underlevel, the, once again, I will have no need to purchase more points, thereby failing to provide them with income.

To rephrase: Turbine refusing to sell me something I want today means I am less likely to need to purchase more points when they put something else I want on sale next week.

The store in DDO has (or at least had, I'm not sure if it's still there) a checkbox to make all store items visible, regardless of eligibility. Combine that with some red warning text and you have a decent solution. If I deliberately enable viewing of all items, then proceed to purchase something I can't use (ignoring the red warnings in the process) then I have no one to blame but myself. Yeah, some people might still complain, but it would be easy to illustrate why they were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wikjif View Post
    The problem with that, Mechabadger, is that in the beginning of the store people were confused about seeing stuff they couldn't use in the store and accidentally buying it and then Turbine ended up with many customer service requests for refunds and the like.
    This & so people didn't get storage clogging with items that cannot use yet.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

In the case of war-steed cosmetics, we can get plenty of them in-game on low-level characters, so I'm not sure why the Store would think that low-level characters can't get them. If a festival vendor can give a war-steed cosmetic to a level 10 character, then the Store should be able to give a war-steed cosmetic to a level 10 character. It's the war-steed itself that isn't available until reaching level 75 or so. Cosmetics for it (not to mention other traits like the Favor of the Mearas war-steed skill) are available at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    In the case of war-steed cosmetics, we can get plenty of them in-game on low-level characters, so I'm not sure why the Store would think that low-level characters can't get them. If a festival vendor can give a war-steed cosmetic to a level 10 character, then the Store should be able to give a war-steed cosmetic to a level 10 character. It's the war-steed itself that isn't available until reaching level 75 or so. Cosmetics for it (not to mention other traits like the Favor of the Mearas war-steed skill) are available at any level.

If you are just agreeing that we should be able to buy items and hold them until that character is eligible to use it, then cheers.

If instead, you are saying that we can do that already in the case of warhorse cosmetics, then yes and no. We can own stuff we can't yet use, but we can't buy it from the store.