We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Updated character graphics

Make my hobbit cuter and I will gives you all the money I have!

How much is it? :U

Changing ("upgrading" is a subjective judgement) character graphics tends to tick off a lot of people.

Thumbs up

I don't think that hobbits appearance can be upgraded much further appart varies how tall they can be, they are near perfect. But man kind need a lot of upgrades, they all look like clones. They need too have more body builds, variations of tall, skull proportions, kind of mouths, kind of eyes, kind of nose, all details of facial appearances, skin colors, kind of hairs. Elves can also use more variations of tall & kind of hairs.

It may really be in need of the addtional graphical chouces in character generation, but dont hold your horses, it may happen eventually, but im 99% sure it wont happen in HD, andf im also 95% sure it wont happen in the next expansion too...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Exclamation

Oh! I don't expect to just see it upon Helms Deep release. I know they have more importants stuffs to work about the expansion than add cosmetic appearance that neither degrade nor improve the game play but just make them pretier. I simply wish it happen later in a near future.

Perhaps what Turbine could do is sell character customization packages in the Lotro Store. That would mean Turbine would need an appearance changer feature - perhaps sell coupons that allow you one use of the appearance changer where all your current customization are available.

Swtor has an appearance changer that you can use any time you want. Swtor has character customization packs that you can buy for dollars if you do not like the standard creation options.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Appearance change customization is already free of TP on this game, the request is to add more appearance variations.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Appearance change customization is already free of TP on this game, the request is to add more appearance variations.
    The thread starter is wanting to change the look of an existing character.

What appearance customization are you talking about? It is a permanent choice that you make at character creation using the 2007 launch assets.

Turbine could add new appearance options. A customer would have to create a new character to get access to the new artwork. Odds are they would delete their current character because they are not going to play ugly any more.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyuuuu View Post
    Make my hobbit cuter and I will gives you all the money I have!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The thread starter is wanting to change the look of an existing character.

What appearance customization are you talking about? It is a permanent choice that you make at character creation using the 2007 launch assets.

Turbine could add new appearance options. A customer would have to create a new character to get access to the new artwork. Odds are they would delete their current character because they are not going to play ugly any more.
    Im talking about the kind of options that are in the barber & those don't requires TP but a few silver. & the OP didn't specify if he want to change the kind appearance upon creation or the kind that can be modified at the barber only. It was me who expanded on both.

I don't think that hobbits appearance can be upgraded much further appart varies how tall they can be, they are near perfect. But man kind need a lot of upgrades, they all look like clones. They need too have more body builds, variations of tall, skull proportions, kind of mouths, kind of eyes, kind of nose, all details of facial appearances, skin colors, kind of hairs. Elves can also use more variations of tall & kind of hairs.
    I'd like to make a African American person! The best I can get it a slight tan... and I think that men are ACTUALLY the most diverse looking in my book...

Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    I'd like to make a African American person! The best I can get it a slight tan... and I think that men are ACTUALLY the most diverse looking in my book...
    The elves werent shy on diversity as well, there is mention of quite a lot of sizes & colors on their species.

This is truth, that men are the most described. On the books there are some men kind that have black skin color. But because their ambiguous name (the troll men) & the lack of deeper description, they can be very big dark colored men, dark colored small trolls or even literally some uncommon hybrid of man+troll. Either way the men diversity isn't represented that well on character creation. Also there is mention in the book of some sallow tone people & thats a color that can neither be achieved on character creation.

I beleive that some dunlending npcs have some darker skin tones. I always wonder why the created characters cannot have a similar tones. Someone may say that those where not races of the free people men & thats why those color choices aren't present. But i find hard to beleive the people don't travel & don't marry with others of different countries & races.

Also if there can be dark skinned hobbits & they are nothing else but short men, why there can't be dark skinned "tall men" (as the hobbits will call them)?
    http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/m/men.html
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 10 2013 at 01:29 AM.

On the books there are some men kind that have black skin color. But because their ambiguous name (the troll men)...
    ...who were aligned with Sauron, and hailed from far to the south (Far Harad).

LOTRO allows a wider breadth of skin tones than you'd really expect given the setting. We don't get to play easterlings either, but I'm not exactly sure why we should. If I were playing an MMO set in feudal Japan, I'd most definitely expect that I'd be playing someone Japanese, not the middle-aged white guy I actually am . Likewise, if I were playing the "Africa" MMO which was in development once upon a time, I'd expect to play a 13th century African. Not an asian or a caucasian.

Khafar

I don't know if some people just have weird color setting on their computers, but I see a lot of people complaining about lack of red hair and lack of dark skin color...just change the nationality and you can pick bright red hair for everything but elves I believe, and change the nationality and you can get almost pitch black skin color ranging to a slight tan.

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    I don't know if some people just have weird color setting on their computers, but I see a lot of people complaining about lack of red hair and lack of dark skin color...just change the nationality and you can pick bright red hair for everything but elves I believe, and change the nationality and you can get almost pitch black skin color ranging to a slight tan.
    No you can't, I like to play with the nationlity & colors of my characters. I proudly say i acchieve a red hair elf (more like carrot color) & a black dwarf with sexi dreadlocks & native american like hobbit. But as much i try to change the races & color of men & elves i cannot reach the edges of the palette that human have in their natural colors, beeing real black colors imposible on men & elves on the game, but not on the book.

But as much i try to change the races & color of men & elves i cannot reach the edges of the palette that human have in their natural colors...
    No. In this setting, dark-skinned Men were from a very far-away land, one aligned with Sauron. Also, Appendix F of The Lord of the Rings says that elves were "fair of skin", and one of Turbine's limitations is to avoid directly contradicting what the licensed materials have to say. There was more room for interpretation for with dwarves and hobbits, so they offered a wider range.

The setting here is going to impose some limitations, just as that "Africa" MMO I mentioned would have. Too bad the latter seems to have failed - 13th century Africa may have been a very interesting place to visit...

Khafar

Im talking about the kind of options that are in the barber & those don't requires TP but a few silver. & the OP didn't specify if he want to change the kind appearance upon creation or the kind that can be modified at the barber only. It was me who expanded on both.
    That is very limited capability like change hair color. It would need a massive upgrade in functionality. What I would want is to be able to invoke the character creator and fully redesign my character. I do not see full character do over with option 2013 super high quality art assets being given to us for free or a minimum charge in silver.

All Turbine does is add a few more options like Green Hair to the Barber Shop, it is going to annoy me. I do not want more of the same. At the very least:

1) Height and width needs to be adjustable
    2) All Avatar art assets can be replaced
    3) Your origin can be changed
    4) Since your origin is changed, you must choose new origin colors like your skin tone.
    5) The ability to change your origin colors like skin tone.
    6) Gender change
    7) New premium high quality art assets like what the newer mounts have. I have horses that are much more detailed than my character.

That is very limited capability like change hair color. It would need a massive upgrade in functionality. What I would want is to be able to invoke the character creator and fully redesign my character. I do not see full character do over with option 2013 super high quality art assets being given to us for free or a minimum charge in silver.

All Turbine does is add a few more options like Green Hair to the Barber Shop, it is going to annoy me. I do not want more of the same. At the very least:

4) Since your origin is changed, you must choose new origin colors like your skin tone.
    6) Gender change
    7) New premium high quality art assets like what the newer mounts have. I have horses that are much more detailed than my character.
    I don't recall asking for total replacement of my character identity or fantasy colors like green, purple, blue or bubble gum pink hair & skin. Only to extend the natural physical apperance choices that a character can have, including the skin & hair tones accordingly to the true colors a human in real life can have & that is supported by the lore. But if someone want to make a total replacement of character identity without deleting the character, that can be work out for 10k TP.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 10 2013 at 02:19 PM.

6) Gender change
    With all due respect that would totally kill any PRing in the game when my female elf friend comes the next day as a male elf that is from a totally different origin.

With all due respect that would totally kill any PRing in the game when my female elf friend comes the next day as a male elf that is from a totally different origin.
    Thats why i proposed that sort of change to be ridiculously high, to discourage it. Thought some my characters don't look exactly how i wanted them to look upon creation, i have got over it long ago.
    Is like having a child. When you are expecting you imagine how he will be, maybe all the way to his adulthood. But this new beeing is not how you wish him to be but how he born & make himself/herself on the way. After sometime you grow familiar with his ways & you can't imagine him/her otherway & you like it just as he/she is nothing less. I would never change them.
    My proposal is for character creation not character transformation.

Every other MMO I've ever played (three not counting LOTRO) had more choices. Things that can be adjusted include the position of the eyes and nose on the face, the angle of the eyes, length and width of the nose (this is in addition to a lot of choices of starting shapes) and a lot more. Men could choose to wear a beard and then adjust the length a little bit. Height is usually variable, weight and build can be adjusted ... the list goes on. Once you pick a feature in LOTRO (eyes, for example) you cannot then further modify the eyes in all the ways other MMOs allow. And as pointed out earlier in this thread, the choices are limited enough that many characters are practically doppelgängers. If they looked any more alike we'd undoubtedly be hearing banjo music.

Even in those areas where LOTRO tried to give lots of choices (hair styles, for example) some of the choices are pretty unappealing. In any crowd the more popular hairstyles are everywhere. You may occasionally see some of the wilder choices, but you'll ALWAYS see the three or four standards.

I read somewhere about the person at Turbine who's in charge of character features saying that he'd be extremely careful about changing the looks of characters because players are very much married to their characters' appearances. I respect his right to feel that way but frankly I think he's wrong about that. Imagine if they came out with a much more versatile system, allowing the kind of creative mixing and matching and adjusting of facial features and body types that many other games do. Every new player would spend a lot of time playing with the variables and similarities would be much less comnom. And then imagine if they gave every current player a single chance to change their characters' basic appearances. I would expect practically every current player would do some changes to every one of their characters' faces and body types. If you could do this, wouldn't you?

My wife and I both played Skyrim for a while, and our characters there were intentionally made to look as much like ourselves as we could do it. Of course we made the bodies MUCH more buff and athletic, but the faces and hair styles are pretty dang close to our own real mugs. And if Disney's made-for-little-kids MMO Pirates of the Caribbean Online can do it, can't Turbine? If Guild Wars 2 can do it, can't Turbine?

I don't know how much work it would require, but if money matters (and c'mon, we all know Turbine is for profit) they could make the one time character plastic surgery cost enough to make it worth their while. I'm not suggesting they charge huge prices; again, I think probably EVERY player would do this, so even with friendly pricing it could be a money maker.
    Last edited by Timmer01; Oct 11 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer01 View Post
    ...I don't know how much work it would require, but if money matters (and c'mon, we all know Turbine is for profit) they could make the one time character plastic surgery cost enough to make it worth their while. I'm not suggesting they charge huge prices; again, I think probably EVERY player would do this, so even with friendly pricing it could be a money maker.
    Plastic surgery will be welcome if it includes stuffs that don't require change character origin & that normally fluctuates (size/shape/color) in a person. Example: my captain woman rear is pittyfully small looks as flat as a surf board. Would like to make her a cosmetic surgery to make it more proportional, while her top is way too big, will look more natural if was a bit smaller. I can't get the in between for both choices with current choices. If this was divided in 2 independent kind of choices instead linked i could get a more realistic build.
    Other stuffs like hair cuts & hair dyes changes are already available in game without pay TP. Adding more variation just will not change the game mechanics as it is already.

1) This is business.
    2) People should play what they want.
    3) People should be able to PAY for what they want.
    4) As much as I like rpging, this is a MMO, many, many people here dont give a damn for it, they just want to seat and have fun with what they want. If they want change their characters' name, they should be able to do it (aviable now for TP), if they want to change their hair, they should be able to do it (aviable now for ingame cash), if they want change their gender, body and color, they should as well (not aviable).
    5) Make these changed aviable for TP (=real money), dont need overcharge it, just place the fair price. Only people interested on it will pay and care for it.
    6) People should play what they want even if they should pay for it. This is the role model now so make it worth and it makes both players and devs happy.
    7) This is business.

There are some discussiong regarding character model changes but seems that devs are taking it with easy. My 2c, make it aviable through LOTRO Store as well. If people are happy with the old models, ok. If they dont, they can try the new ones. Everquest II have 2 sets of models: the default western ones and the ones released in Asia. People are totally fine with that.

wow this thread is miss named I thought that the thread was about upping the graphics so you could go beyond ultra high.

that is all I have to say good bye.

also I think this is a bad idea and agree with ReadStar on their post below

ReadStar: With all due respect that would totally kill any PRing in the game when my female elf friend comes the next day as a male elf that is from a totally different origin.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepherzaper View Post
    wow this thread is miss named I thought that the thread was about upping the graphics so you could go beyond ultra high.

that is all I have to say good bye.
    It is not misnamed, it is "Updated Character Graphics"

As in: The graphic appearance of your character. You are thinking of client graphics

Glorgnorbor
    Happy Halloween!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast