We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I have some questions for the end game PvE community.

Long story short, despite being an active MMO subscriber to one MMO or another for nearly 20 years, I never got into the raiding community. In the past 2 years I've gotten very heavy into in SWTOR, and to a lesser degree WoW and FF. SWTOR is definitely the game I prefer to raid in but it seems they have decided to kill all new raids. LOTRO has always been a game I come back to over the years, and I'm considering it again. But the competitive raiding part is what's holding me back. With that in mind, I have a few questions.

1. I've done a few of the single boss raids (like Turtle) in the past, but would be interested to know about bigger and more challenging encounters. Anything like a typical WoW or SWTOR style raid in LOTRO?

2. I'm assuming that there are varying difficulty modes for the various raids? Anything on the scale of Nightmare or Heroic mode?

3. Are there kins built around the concept of tackling the raids in the most challenging modes?

4. Is there a server or group of servers where the majority of the raiding community hangs out?

5. Assuming all of the above is yes, if there a tank class that is generally preferred for raiding?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

LOTRO had some great raids in the past, although Turbine almost killed raiding community with Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep expansions. We didn't get new classic raids for 3 years, so all the raids available in the game right now are the scaling versions of the raids released a long ago (with no good rewards at all).

However, it might change in near future, since Turbine finally releases a new raid with 18.2 update coming later this summer.

1. Yes. Barad Guldur and Ost Dunhoth are classic WoW style raids available on lvl 105. However the most challenging content is still The Flight to the Lonely Mountain and The Battle for Erebor. Those are "lair" style encounters.

2. Yes. There are 3 difficulty modes: Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 2 Challenge Mode. Challenge is a sort of "hard mode" with some additional conditions. Notice that not all instances / raids have Tier 2 (for example, Helegrod doesn't have).

3. I believe there are some German, French and Russian raiding kins. Not sure about US kins, got a feeling most of them went "casual" style with no or little raiding activities.

4. Look above.

5. I believe the guardian is still the best option for the tank role. Tanking is practically the only preferable role of guardian in a raid. However both captain and warden can be good in tanking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghidora View Post
    1. I've done a few of the single boss raids (like Turtle) in the past, but would be interested to know about bigger and more challenging encounters. Anything like a typical WoW or SWTOR style raid in LOTRO?
    Yes. Challenging "WoW style" raids at level cap are "Ost Dunhoth" (6 bosses), "Barad Guldur" (3 bosses) and the "Erebor" cluster (3 raid instances with 1 boss each).
    All of these are so called scalable raids because they were originally released with previous level caps but can be played at the current level cap with scaled loot and with a "challenge mode" which is only available at level cap.

Another challenging classic raid is "Tower of Orthanc" (5 bosses) but this one is only available for level 75.

Other classic raids are "Helegrod" (4 bosses, level 50-105). "Rift of Nurz Gashu" (8 bosses, level 50) and Dar Narbugud (6 bosses, level 60). Those raids are not challenging, mainly because of the major class balance changes since U12.

There will be a completely new raid with 6 bosses coming with the next Update 18.2 (we currently have 18.1). The new raid will feature 6 bosses. Read here for more information:
    http://dadislotroguides.com/u18-2-ra...-june-release/
    http://dadislotroguides.com/18-2-raid-teasers-part-2/

2. I'm assuming that there are varying difficulty modes for the various raids? Anything on the scale of Nightmare or Heroic mode?
    "Tier 1" difficulty is very easy and can be easily undermanned even by casual players.
    "Tier 2" difficulty is significantly harder than T1. The gap in difficulty compared to T1 is in fact huge.
    "Challenge Mode": is basically Tier 2 but you have to complete a "challenge quest" to complete the challenge mode, making the fight overall more complex and harder.

3. Are there kins built around the concept of tackling the raids in the most challenging modes?
    Absolutely. Some servers have many raiding kins, other servers have less.

4. Is there a server or group of servers where the majority of the raiding community hangs out?
    I don't think so. You might want to check out the server-specific sub-forums to find recruiting raiding kinships.
    For EU servers it's probably Evernight (English) and Gwaihir (German). I don't know about US servers, but AFAIK Brandywine used to have an active raiding community a few years ago.

5. Assuming all of the above is yes, if there a tank class that is generally preferred for raiding?
    Guardian is the classic and generally preferred tank class but Captains are very strong for tanking single targets. Warden and Beorning have a viable tank spec too but are generally not seen as "main" tanks.

all of you seem to not take notice of champions as tanks. i'd like to add them to the list.
    sure, guardians are just THE tank class and cappy/warden can be fine. but champs can tank very well, too.
    They have 60% physmits and 65% tactmits. tactmits can get to 70% passively when wearing 2 setbonus of osgiliath instances, putting them on the same tactical level like guards. they have up to 10% (2% per point) melee damagereduction whenever their fervor is up (which is the case very often) and can have 10% damagereduction for all types with 100% uptime when they use 4-set-bonus of featured gear. and they can block. and they have a bigger morale-pool than guards (+20% morale by traitbonus). and they still do decent dps while tanking, which normally solves all aggro problems.
    just the panic-skills are quite bad (only one okayish one with 1min cd and 15sec uptime, rest nearly useless).

still, i prefer champtanks over beorns and chanking is really funny :P

biggest reason why nearly no one uses champs as tanks is their awesome (aoe)dps
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer