We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    A place where cotton grows and oil flows.

I'm in, and I hope others will consider it...

...and not think 'Oh, I can only chip in $5, and that's not much, compared to the $36,000+ they're trying to raise...'

Don't let that hold you back, because we can never tell which contribution may save a life, or find a cure or a new procedure to help these kids. Your contribution to anything, but especially to a charity like Extra Life, is unique and special. No one else can do what you do, so if at all possible, find a way to scrape up a fiver and join in - become a part of helping kids at a really tough time in their lives. You'll make a difference, and feel better for it!

Be well and good questing to you!
    Be well and good questing, all! See you about Middle Earth another time!

So Sapience, you are only a little over $2,000 away from $40,000. Any ideas for hitting that level? I think we can make it. Maybe get an NPC in the game with a green beard with pink stripes?

wow

Sapience, pinch yourself now! Nearly 40k - seriously? can you believe it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raesharra View Post
    But Sapience, some of us wouldn't have realized that the opportunity existed to do this.
    I didn't even know there was such thing as Extra Life until I clicked on the link in the LOTRO login window.

The other thing is, many people are already giving money to their own charities that they personally support. Events like this, where people offer something of themselves, encourage additional giving.

What is the purpose of playing video games for 25 hours in order to raise money? Why offer incentives for people to donate? Shouldn't the ideal person already have given all possible money to charity, and thus have nothing more to give?

The truth is, we need a healthy balance of giving and receiving. Too much of the latter leads to selfishness, but too much of the former leads to burn out.

All of us could be using the time and/or money that we spend on LOTRO on a charity instead. But if we never did anything fun for ourselves, we would be nothing more than machines taking resources from one place and directing them to another.

Why do we have charities that give toys to needy children instead of food? Because we want those children not simply to survive, but to live.

Fundraisers like this offer people the opportunity to tap into both their "entertainment" and "charity" reserves.

Whether it's the chance to win a prize, the opportunity to see people embarass themselves, or the excitement of competing with others to see who can raise the most money, the fun of working together to reach a common goal gives people the entertainment energy that fuels additional charity.

That's what Sapience has given to us. So while we can be proud of everyone who has donated, we can be proud specifically for Sapience being the catalyst of all that giving.

Thank you Sapience for this opportunity to give, and join in that support with players from around the world of my favorite MMO! And Congrats Red Sox!
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][URL="http://houseofthemoriquendi.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=164537&TabID=1393866"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Sienna][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000005e3/01003/signature.png]Dralon[/charsig][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

I hope it's ok to hijack a bit of space here to call out to all tall and short folks who might consider donating :) I am also a part of Team Turbine and am supporting the international part of Boston Childrens' Hospital. We have currently raised a whooping (for me) $610 and the goal is $750.

Rewards include:

• Turbine Points
    • LOTRO Mithril Edition
    • In-game concert by The Shades
    • Physical Thrór's Map
    • Physical portrait painting of your LOTRO character
    • and if we reach $750 before Nov 2nd, it will also include 2 copies of the Annotated Hobbit.

Hobbits in particular might be interested in the latest added reward, which is a home-made batch of original Danish Christmas cookies (baked by me) ~300 gram. Shipped world-wide, though I do not guarantee for custom rules regarding food items. Calories through the roof! Provided we reach the $750 goal :)

Support the cookies and donate here :) http://www.extra-life.org/participant/toarda

Sample cookies (fresh batch will be made, but I had to test them first...)

[CENTER][URL="http://toarda.com"][IMG]http://www.toarda.com/img/LOTROforumprofile.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Retired. My LOTRO projects will no longer be maintained.
    [/CENTER]

For the kids, people! Some pretty amazing numbers and generosity!

But I really just posted to say: do those cookies look yummie, or what? My mouth is watering! Need. cookie. fix. now.!

So Sapience what is your 40k incentive since you are not to far away from it now.
    Gratz for double last years result and happy haloween!
    Officer of Radix Lecti @ Laurelin (the only real taters)
    You want to know more?
    [URL]http://radixlecti.eu/[/URL]
    The wise & sociable 2012
    Hero of the small folk 2013
    Original Tundra Cub owner 2014
    The kinship that brought the hobbit to Isengard :)

hum White Berry why not your own Thread ? Is this nice that Sapience and you are doing this Great contribution. I am even more grateful that I was about to donate this year. Good Luck in surpassing your Goals !

And we just blew through 40K

I'm gonna see if I can scrape up some more for Whiteberry. Have to find out how much my leaking roof will cost me first, though.
    [FONT=palatino linotype][SIZE=2][COLOR=#b22222]LilyRose of Gladden[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222], Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at[/COLOR][URL="http://rangerswest.guildlaunch.com"][COLOR=#b22222] rangerswest.guildlaunch.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

between the heavens and the underworld, bka Middle-Earth!

101% goal and more

Congrats, Rick, for raising over $40k to help the kids treated by BCH, mostly congrats to the whole community for the donations that will make children smile for generations, the true blessings of hope and love poured out by all, I have no story to tell as to why it matters, just as a Christian I know I have to do my part in the world!

now that the donations have doubled that of last year and more, we the community wait expectantly for a show of rewarding/embarrassing quality, we got green beard/pink stripes, Rap & Harlem Shake videos, lifetimes, ROR CD's, HD Premium codes & beta keys, 2 titles and 2 mounts, a Boston area luncheon, and a lot of smiling LotRO players who have made it all happen, what's next? more player goal suggestions? what does the community think should be listed now? what new incentives will cause piggy banks to be broken open and make Team Turbine the TOP donations earner world wide? Rocket Man video to parody Shatner, Hobbit song cover video from "Spock" Leonard Nimoy? or more in-game rewards? or CD/DVD/BR copies of LotRO? soundtrack collections through iTunes or CD format?

This is the place to make such suggestions or PM Rick directly if you want to remain anonymous!

IT'S FOR THE KIDS!!!!!! and the kid in each of us!

Quote Originally Posted by lockecd View Post
    hum White Berry why not your own Thread ? Is this nice that Sapience and you are doing this Great contribution. I am even more grateful that I was about to donate this year. Good Luck in surpassing your Goals !
    I did make a thread - it's buried somewhere in the off-topic forum unnoticed, so thought I'd post the cookie picture here and maybe lure some hobbits in
    [CENTER][URL="http://toarda.com"][IMG]http://www.toarda.com/img/LOTROforumprofile.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

40K->Rick and the devs play "A Christmas Carol" at the BCH and record it for us uploading it at the 25th of December
    Officer of Radix Lecti @ Laurelin (the only real taters)
    You want to know more?
    [URL]http://radixlecti.eu/[/URL]
    The wise & sociable 2012
    Hero of the small folk 2013
    Original Tundra Cub owner 2014
    The kinship that brought the hobbit to Isengard :)

A brilliant thing to do, a good cause!

To someone living in Sweden, it's very hard to begin to understand what it's like to not have half a century + of tax funded hospitals.

Holy, Toledo, Batman, I just noticed that over $40,000 mark! I wonder what amazing things the Boston Children's Hospital can do with that amount?

So...since the original giving goals were totally blown out of the water and destroyed, could we have a scaling incentive? Example: for every $100 over $40,000, an hour of Turbine staff in game on server in Bree doing something silly like dropping an appropriate cosmetic cloak or being an epic boss of their chosen character for people to kill...but if so, it should be during prime time for the players of the server. People would be sad if you were on a German server at 2am their time. And of course you'd have to disable layering.
    Amandakay (Arkenstone), refugee from Elendilmir
    Amorina (Laurelin)
    Hallaniel and Harweniel (Landroval)
    Lilta (Gladden), refugee from Elendilmir
    Bruyera (Sirannon), refugee from Estel

And it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteberry_Laurelin View Post
    I did make a thread - it's buried somewhere in the off-topic forum unnoticed, so thought I'd post the cookie picture here and maybe lure some hobbits in

MMMMmm. Cookies are DELICIOUS.
    [FONT=palatino linotype][SIZE=2][COLOR=#b22222]LilyRose of Gladden[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222], Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at[/COLOR][URL="http://rangerswest.guildlaunch.com"][COLOR=#b22222] rangerswest.guildlaunch.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Server vs. Server

I think next year you need to have people declare for a server when they donate and make it a competition.

I'm happy to say that the two copies of the Annotated Hobbit and the Danish cookies are now in the draw tomorrow too thanks to you guys We just reached the $750 goal.
    [/CENTER]

I'm happy to say that the two copies of the Annotated Hobbit and the Danish cookies are now in the draw tomorrow too thanks to you guys We just reached the $750 goal.
    Congratulations to you, great contribution to Team Turbine!

Eru those cookies....

I think Sapience should do an "Arda's cookies" lottery as his $ 39.999 goal.

Congratulations, and well done.

Got good news about my roof, so pitched a little more in the kitty for you. Big thumbs up.

íve just pressed the donate button on saps page, only to find out that whiteberry have one too, its so great, and she is so "close to home" as we both resides in denmark and on laurelin, i think ill keep an eye out and see if i can catch her online and get some more details on how to help her, by helping her and rick, we help others, and that hopefully goes a long way... if we can just get a smile into the life of those kids, we have done a difference, and difference is good...

A place where cotton grows and oil flows.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyranduil View Post
    íve just pressed the donate button on saps page, only to find out that whiteberry have one too, its so great, and she is so "close to home" as we both resides in denmark and on laurelin, i think ill keep an eye out and see if i can catch her online and get some more details on how to help her, by helping her and rick, we help others, and that hopefully goes a long way... if we can just get a smile into the life of those kids, we have done a difference, and difference is good...
    I believe Sap's page has a link to team Turbine, and you can find Whiteberry's entry on that Team Turbine link - then proceed just as you did on Sapience's link to contribute and add to her effort as well. [Edit: Or click on the link in her post above to get to her dedicated donation page.] In any case, be well and good questing to you - and perhaps you'll win the cookies!
    Be well and good questing, all! See you about Middle Earth another time!

I had the opportunity to meet Sapience in Orlando and donate for the cause. I was enormously excited today to see just how much he has raised for this wonderful charity. So I had to kick in a little more. I can't wait to see just how high the total goes!

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Erebthoron View Post
    40K->Rick and the devs play "A Christmas Carol" at the BCH and record it for us uploading it at the 25th of December
    I've actually checked on this and unfortunately we can't. However they did offer to let us come up with a craft day idea that we can come in and do with the kids. So I'm actually looking to do that as soon as we can. I had mentioned something like this as the $30k goal, so I want to make good on it!

Quote Originally Posted by kronocide View Post
    I think next year you need to have people declare for a server when they donate and make it a competition.
    Top of the list for next year. THat would be awesome. And I'll come up with something special exclusive to the winning server.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    Congratulations to you, great contribution to Team Turbine!

Eru those cookies....

I think Sapience should do an "Arda's cookies" lottery as his $ 39.999 goal.
    I just saw she added home made danish cookies. Now I'm kinda hoping I win those! (I donate to her effort as well as a couple of others on Team Turbine).

Quote Originally Posted by Boskone08 View Post
    I believe Sap's page has a link to team Turbine, and you can find Whiteberry's entry on that Team Turbine link - then proceed just as you did on Sapience's link to contribute and add to her effort as well. [Edit: Or click on the link in her post above to get to her dedicated donation page.] In any case, be well and good questing to you - and perhaps you'll win the cookies!
    I'm really happy to see she's gone over $800 raised. She's the 3rd highest fund raiser on Team Turbine and three of us are playing for Boston Children's. Alfreda Smith, our second highest, is in our QA department and she's just passed $1,000. Team Turbine is really pouring it on at we get ready to go Gaming Crazy tomorrow (November 2). We're just $400 away from $50,000 at this point. I bet we pass that by at least 15% by November 9 at 9AM. That's when the Hospital that has riased the most money will earn another $60,000 in the diablo challenge. Boston Children's is currently in the lead. It would be awesome to know we had a big part in bringing that extra money to the hospital.

Because my schedule cleared up I'll be playing tomorrow starting at 8AM along with everyone else. I'll be tweeting about it as well as live streaming portions. Including the time I'll be playing LOTRO and maybe some other stuff. I'll tweet the times I'll be on LOTRO servers and playing. twitter.com/rickheaton

I finally get to work on the backlog of games I've been meaning to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Top of the list for next year. THat would be awesome. And I'll come up with something special exclusive to the winning server.
    I just went through our medical bills for my wife's cancer treatment which started Feb 2013, with the surgery and chemo, with the ongoing testing: $280,000.00 with full insurance. Out of pocket: $11,200 for deductibles, co-pays, out of network coverage, additional non-covered portions, invasive testing copays, meds, etc., etc., etc. We need to step up the awareness of this charity big time to raise more. Rick: Server-wide contests would be awesome! I'll commit the Knights of Valour of Vilya (KoV) to raising $1,000 next year too!
    [URL="http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/Pherenn/media/e72940e3-4cdc-4677-aa07-fe0e9ab95c33.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u470/Pherenn/e72940e3-4cdc-4677-aa07-fe0e9ab95c33.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Pherenn, Phermin, Pherkeeper, Phertain, Pherhuntress, Pherhunter, Pherburg, and too many others to track. Lotro Featured Player 2011; If I can help you...ask.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast