We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    $1,061 I guess as of right now. Glad to see so many pages of contributors even outside of the total sum. Each donation is a little bit of ourselves invested in someone else. The more people investing, the more net difference at the human level.
    TheInklingsKin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brujj View Post
    What is the end date for the event? I can't seem to find it..granted, I haven't slept in a couple days..some words dont seem right when I read them so...LOL
    "Largest Donation by 11:59PM (Eastern time) December 2, 2013."

Would leave me to assume December 2nd since a prize can still be earned up until that time. Otherwise, I can't find that its posted anywhere either.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by whosjgalt View Post
    I believe Sapience said 11/2/13 as that is the date he will be doing his 25 hour marathon gaming
    That's my current plan and it's also the official Extra life date. However, I just realized that the Players Council is coming that week and I've agreed to play host to some of them on November 1 and 2. So I may push my date out a week (which is ok according to Extra Life, and would actually be better for me as I'll be alone that weekend and free to do as I wish!)

Quote Originally Posted by JTollers View Post
    I believe we are up to $1,051 as of Saturday. I have not checked for yesterday or today's.
    $1,061 I guess as of right now. Glad to see so many pages of contributors even outside of the total sum. Each donation is a little bit of ourselves invested in someone else. The more people investing, the more net difference at the human level.
    So this makes a perfect time for me to post something about the kinship challenges. if you read the blurb is says,
    Kinship Goal!
    The Kinship with the largest total donation in the name of their Kin (The donor name must be the name of the kinship) will have a lottery named after their kinship.
    I did this so that I could easily keep track of the donations by kinships and keep them seperate from individual donations (and thus avoid conflicts with someone who might donate a very large sum and qualify for the individual donation and also qualify under kinships - a double dip). it also makes it incredibly easier for me to search when doing totals becuase I can sort by Donor name and all the kin donations line right up. Like with The Inklings when I sort, they all show up in a nice easy to total group. When doing others, I have to read every comment of what is now over 800 donations (which as an aside is 50 more than last year! Woot!). The other goal being that kinships would rally together and collect money and make very large group doantions (again making it easier for me to track 10, $100 donations instead of 50 $5-%100 donations).

No one has complained about rules and I'm not inclined to suddenly demand everyone follow the letter of the rule when so many kins are clearly excited and participated in the very real spirit of the goal. I'm just passing this along because it's why I don't tally everything as quickly as some would like.

I do want to point out one thing though. I still don't want to let people double dip. The largest donation by an individual is still $543 despite the fact that there is a $750 single donation by The Inklings. So to be very clear; I'll allow the "donation by John doe in the amount of $xxx" with the comment of 'For Kinship XYZ" to count in the kinship totals, but if you donate a very large sum in hopes of being the largest donation by an individual you need to decide if you want the credit for yourself or your kinship. Those donating in the name of their kin apply the full credit of the donation to the kin and it doesn't go toward the personal largest donation. Again, to avoid a double dip and hopefully to be as fair as possible.

Finally, the Dec 2 date is to give people time to donate during the event and a response to last year where people were trying to put together larger donations by pulling a little out of each month's budget to donate as a lump sum. It's 1 full month after the end of the official event on November 2nd and seemed like a reasonable cut off time.
    Last edited by Sapience; Oct 21 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmore View Post
    I really hate to see this be taken negative so please read with an open mind.

I was opening the wallet to donate to Extra Life but upon reading it was primarily only for Hospitals in North America I researched a little and opted to donate to a different charity (well two) that has identical goals, but Australian based for Australian children in need.

UNICEF (the donations are used globally) and the The Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne, victoria.

No negative feelings on the change of donation, but there are kids in my country that need help too.
    No problem with that, but the various Children's Hospitals in the States often treat children from all over the world (thinking of things like specialty Pediatric Oncology and Pediatric transplants, where the expertise required is available in only a few places around the world, and of which a good fraction are in North America).
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I donated what I could today. BCH was the second hospital in the country (world, actually, I think) to save the lives of children with the VEPTR surgery. It's a rather small group of kids, so they tend to get to know each other. My cousin's daughter (my goddaughter) was one of them, but at the first hospital to do the surgery -- in San Antonio (she lived in Indiana at the time).

Some 85 or so surgeries later, she's been fused and is now an adult, something we never thought was possible before Dr Campbell designed the titanium rib. We still communicate with some of the other families we met along the way, including some who had their surgeries at BCH.
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), Mileirien (Warden), Milirien (Minstrel), Ariestir (Rune-keeper), et al
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!)
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta

Awesome job Inklings!!! The Knights of Valour (KoV), I believe, is trailing you at $955.00 so we are hot on your tail! Sapience, as I understand the new dates, we have until December to raise more funds? Additionally, is there any way to give us updates as to how we are doing for Kinship donations based on your new information for personal versus kinship donations? I am asking people to put KoV's information in the notes to you, is this incorrect?
    Last edited by whosjgalt; Oct 21 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: update to kin vs personal donation
    [URL="http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/Pherenn/media/e72940e3-4cdc-4677-aa07-fe0e9ab95c33.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u470/Pherenn/e72940e3-4cdc-4677-aa07-fe0e9ab95c33.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Pherenn, Phermin, Pherkeeper, Phertain, Pherhuntress, Pherhunter, Pherburg, and too many others to track. Lotro Featured Player 2011; If I can help you...ask.

Donated! Many thanks to Sapience and Turbine for supporting such a wonderful cause!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000055a8e/01005/signature.png]Halldoc[/charsig]

Red face all done

Well thats me donated all the way in England.
    Good Luck Sap hope you raise as much as totally possible!~
    And come on guys we need that video!!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000007e45b/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Donated. A cause worth supporting.
    Wolar, and also...

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0100001624a1/signature.png]Rukrath[/charsig]

Updated the Kinship totals.

Inklings - $1061
    Knights of Valour $970 (you guys are VERY hard to track with notes in the messages, but that should be right. By the way, no more picking on my spelling. Four of your members spelled it like I did!)

I didn't update the list of all donating kinships, it's just a nightmare tracking through all the notes. Next year it's going to be 100% donor name or it won't count. It's just too difficult this way and way too prone to missing someone (and the I'm going to be really bad when I get it wrong). With the donor name being the name of the kin I just need to sort by donor name and all the donations line right up.

Also, we're through $22,300, which did something pretty awesome. We're #1 in fundraising again this year (so far)! http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...st&eventID=512
    Last edited by Sapience; Oct 22 2013 at 11:46 AM.

And now we've topped the $22,500 goal and there will definitely be a Green Beard in my future.

WooT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    And now we've topped the $22,500 goal and there will definitely be a Green Beard in my future.

Treebeard!Sapience!!!!

*does a happy hobbit dance*
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

I donated yesterday, so glad to see that you topped your goal, now on to the pink stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    I donated yesterday, so glad to see that you topped your goal, now on to the pink stripe.
    For the record, at Pax East last march my stated goal was $25k. Let's see if we can get there!

Since this is for a very special cause, I just donated $250. The overall total is now at $23,383. Keep the donations coming.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000002a5495/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hot Pink Beard!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on folks--Pink Is Possible!

Donation

I was honored to donate what little I could. As the father of a young special needs son ... this sort of thing touches me deeply. Thank you on behalf of all children, especially those struggling with illness of the body and/or of the mind.
    "I swear to God, if this thing turns into a zombie attack, I am quitting." - Jack Carter

donated
    good luck!!

(...) Like I told them, it's all you. I'm just the messenger. The real heroes are all of you.
    Aww, now you've done it... The fuzzy feelings have awoken.

When I get my title, I'm going to use it, but not because of 'look, I got a kewl and rare title, uh-huh!'; no, I'll use it to remind myself of this event, of a community banding together for a good cause, and of the people that it'll ultimately help improve their lives. Like the glimpses of personal experience shared in this thread by people like Milarien and warriorpoetex.

Keep up the good work, guys'n gals

(thinking of things like specialty Pediatric Oncology and Pediatric transplants, where the expertise required is available in only a few places around the world, and of which a good fraction are in North America).
    Equally as much to the researchers and doctors attached the Royal Children's hospital, Melbourne Victoria and facilities further afield. - However i go by only the front page information of extra life itself which is not as indepth in detail as people would have me believe.

Yet Australia is one of the leaders in medical research and treatment as well so I made a judgement call, royal childrens + UNICEF based on the time I had prior to work to see where best my money would be utilised based on the demographics of my side of the world.

No hard feelings, but strapped for time at the time and not a clear message on their frontpage, better the devil you know, right?

Edit: And now that some real life issues over the past few weeks are sorted and stress relieved beyond measure...I can see how I may have come across as a bit of a phallus in the words and presentation of a rather harmless decision.

All this talk of extra-life and the donations etc had allowed me to reflect on a few things of lives saved - including as a child my own life, and later by the same people as an adult they did it again. Although I don't remember the childhood occurrence it was the underpaid and often under-staffed yet dedicated folks at the Royal Children's Hospital that are the reason I and so many with rare and mostly hard to diagnose illnesses are here today. Yet there is very little appreciation given to them, even by the families whom have there loved ones alive due to their work.

A donation is such a small gesture in return but its something. Though a few years ago I did have the opportunity to thank a Doctor who had saved my life as an infant due to circumstance.

My Nephew was growing sicker by the minute, quiet, unmoving constantly growling (literally) in pain. We had taken him to the Royal Children's Hospital, the reception saw him only as a pale and whining child whereas in the line there was bleeding and physically obvious to the eye hurt children who were by default put ahead in the queue and my nephew was considered low priority.

After eighteen hours of constant surgeries an old doctor (name omitted for privacy purposes) had packed his bags and was heading home and he was using the emergency ward entry as his exit that night, I later learned with discussion with him that such was his usual protocol to see with his own eyes those waiting to be treated even as he leaves to go home to his own family.

He passed everyone with but a glance in the ward and saw my nephew and paused, tilted his head and knelt beside him, he lifted my nephews shirt and felt around his tummy and immediately dropped his backpack and approached the reception area and had words with the nurse there, pointing at my nephew. He then ticked himself on for another shift and told us to come with him.

He saved my nephews life that night when he could have simply taken a private exit and gone straight home to his family and rightfully so.

This dedication is rare, and it was revealed later that he had also saved my life as a child and he almost teared up when we talked - there's a true doctor for you.

And why I wanted to give something back.

But a donation only goes so far, talk to these people, thank them.

It means more to a doctor then a donation, in the end donations only go so far - appreciation keeps these people where they are needed; saving our childrens lives.
    Last edited by Lashmore; Oct 23 2013 at 06:38 AM.
    [center][img]http://gameofgeeks.com/ithsignature.png[/img][/center]

I donated weeks ago. Hope many people will donate too

For the record, at Pax East last march my stated goal was $25k. Let's see if we can get there!
    $28.8k! Go Team Turbine! Glad to donate and help the cause (working on my company match too so may be more coming!).

- Lathana

So a really quick update.

$24,947 raised on my page as of this post. Which means Pink stripes are almost certain to happen now. For the numbers folks, this represents 200 more overall donors than last year and over a third more money raised with a lot of time still on the clock.

Rap video is up next at $27,500 ( Celestrata, RockX and Producer Hannah Foell have agreed to appear as well!) and I'm straining my brain to figure out what to do if we hit that and start heading to $30k.

Team Turbine Update
    $28,925 of our $30k team goal. I had to move it up yesterday as we hit the original $25K team goal yesterday morning. This will probably move up to $35k by the end of the week if things keep going as they are (which is amazingly well!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmore View Post

Edit: And now that some real life issues over the past few weeks are sorted and stress relieved beyond measure...I can see how I may have come across as a bit of a phallus in the words and presentation of a rather harmless decision.

All this talk of extra-life and the donations etc had allowed me to reflect on a few things of lives saved - including as a child my own life, and later by the same people as an adult they did it again. Although I don't remember the childhood occurrence it was the underpaid and often under-staffed yet dedicated folks at the Royal Children's Hospital that are the reason I and so many with rare and mostly hard to diagnose illnesses are here today. Yet there is very little appreciation given to them, even by the families whom have there loved ones alive due to their work.

A donation is such a small gesture in return but its something. Though a few years ago I did have the opportunity to thank a Doctor who had saved my life as an infant due to circumstance.

My Nephew was growing sicker by the minute, quiet, unmoving constantly growling (literally) in pain. We had taken him to the Royal Children's Hospital, the reception saw him only as a pale and whining child whereas in the line there was bleeding and physically obvious to the eye hurt children who were by default put ahead in the queue and my nephew was considered low priority.

After eighteen hours of constant surgeries an old doctor (name omitted for privacy purposes) had packed his bags and was heading home and he was using the emergency ward entry as his exit that night, I later learned with discussion with him that such was his usual protocol to see with his own eyes those waiting to be treated even as he leaves to go home to his own family.

He passed everyone with but a glance in the ward and saw my nephew and paused, tilted his head and knelt beside him, he lifted my nephews shirt and felt around his tummy and immediately dropped his backpack and approached the reception area and had words with the nurse there, pointing at my nephew. He then ticked himself on for another shift and told us to come with him.

He saved my nephews life that night when he could have simply taken a private exit and gone straight home to his family and rightfully so.

This dedication is rare, and it was revealed later that he had also saved my life as a child and he almost teared up when we talked - there's a true doctor for you.

And why I wanted to give something back.

But a donation only goes so far, talk to these people, thank them.

It means more to a doctor then a donation, in the end donations only go so far - appreciation keeps these people where they are needed; saving our childrens lives.
    Very glad to hear how both your and your nephew's lives were saved by an alert and dedicated doctor, and that you were prompted to make a donation meaningful to you in this cause.

There are many, many hospitals and dedicated professionals working to make sick children well, and choosing to help one particular one doesn't in any way mean the work of the others is less worthy.

Pick a spot, and help, that's the moral of this story, even if you can't help EVERYONE. You'll make a world of difference to someone.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

So a really quick update.

$24,947 raised on my page as of this post. Which means Pink stripes are almost certain to happen now. For the numbers folks, this represents 200 more overall donors than last year and over a third more money raised with a lot of time still on the clock.

Rap video is up next at $27,500 ( Celestrata, RockX and Producer Hannah Foell have agreed to appear as well!) and I'm straining my brain to figure out what to do if we hit that and start heading to $30k.

Team Turbine Update
    $28,925 of our $30k team goal. I had to move it up yesterday as we hit the original $25K team goal yesterday morning. This will probably move up to $35k by the end of the week if things keep going as they are (which is amazingly well!)
    ROFL... I cannot wait to see the beard. Gonna be purty... LMAO

I told my hubby that if you make it to doing the rap video, anyone that watches best not be eating or drinking anything cause there puter will get a bath I'm sure. HAHAHAHAHA Happy to see Celestrata is gonna be in it.
    It's not Teal... it's [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ffff][B]CYAN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]!

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast