We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

FPS limiter does not seem to work

Hey, guys!

I think I've found another problem with LotRO for Mac.
    The FPS limiter in Troubleshooting section does not seem to work (at least not for me). My Macbook Air (mid-2012) seems to be able to handle mideium settings just fine, however, without being able to limit my FPS I am getting unacceptably high temperatures (had the same issue with WoW for Mac, was completely solved with limiting my foreground FPS to 30 and background FPS to 0).
    Even if I limit FPS to 15 in LotRO, it seems to have no effect, the framerate reamains the same.
    Probably, there is a way to address the issue.

I can confirm the same issue with the framelimiter not working. I also have a 2012 MBA and have been playing around trying to find the right mix of settings to get a consistent framerate.

Also, the default High Settings seem to work well, although if I select "Optimized Settings for Hardware" it incorrectly gives me EVERYTHING at Ultra High...which would be nice if it ran smoothly.

Yep, it would be great to be able to limit FPS.
    Actually, I am happy with LotRO performance on my MBA (i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel 4000 HD, SSD) - settings above average works just fine.
    The problem is extreme temperatures. I am not playing anything which consistently puts 104 degrees Celsius on all four processor cores, with 105 degrees being shutdown temp for this particular i7. Decreasing all the settings to minimum does not help at all.
    I have had exactly the same problem with World of Warcraft, but with FPS limited to 30 I am able to play it on above medium settings just fine never getting above 86 degrees C on CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by stanthony View Post
    Yep, it would be great to be able to limit FPS.
    Actually, I am happy with LotRO performance on my MBA (i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel 4000 HD, SSD) - settings above average works just fine.
    The problem is extreme temperatures. I am not playing anything which consistently puts 104 degrees Celsius on all four processor cores, with 105 degrees being shutdown temp for this particular i7. Decreasing all the settings to minimum does not help at all.
    I have had exactly the same problem with World of Warcraft, but with FPS limited to 30 I am able to play it on above medium settings just fine never getting above 86 degrees C on CPU.
    Please make certain to "/bug" all of these items!!!
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

troubleshooting tab broken

I have the same problem on my macbook pro using the lotro mac client. I cannot change the frame rate or the engine speed even though I can "choose" the option and move the slider. It's obvious that it is stuck on highest fps and highest engine speed because the game runs super smooth, 300+ fps and puts the temperatures of my CPU and GPU near 100 degrees Celsius, even when I put the max frame rate down to 15 and engine speed to very low. If it was working correctly those settings would result in visibly choppy game play with a control+F readout of 15-16 fps max. That is as undesirable as 100 degrees temps, but happy medium is what I'm looking for.

Before RoR broke Crossover, I was able to use the FPS limiter in the troubleshooting options to run at 60fps on medium or high engine speed, having temps of 60-70 degrees Celsius. very smooth gameplay, very acceptable temps.

Vsync is also broken on the mac client. It does nothing to lower frame rate.

Other than that, the mac client has run flawlessly except for a weird bug in RoF where everything was rendered black outside of a small radius around my toon. That was fixed by exit/reentry of the instance but that resulted in gaining no Rep upon completion.

If anyone hears anything about this, please post. I have submitted a bug report and know that various other people, probably everyone using the mac client, have this problem with the broken troubleshooting options for frame rate limiting and engine speed. Lots of players don't even use that tab so they may not even know it is broken on the mac client.

I was hoping this would be fixed in 8.1, but alas, to my overwhelming surprise and never-ending lament, it was not even mentioned. Us poor mac users are going to have to sit patiently and hope our laptops don't melt while we wait for Turbine to look into this bug in the mac client that probably hasn't even been put on the back burner yet.

I've also searched and scoured the internet for an external fps limiter program. They are out there and work for many games, however, I cannot find one that works on a mac. Surprise, surprise, they are all for windows.

Going straight to my mac's graphics card website (AMD Radeon) proves fruitless also. They don't offer any driver updates for mac let alone ATI tray tools or any other graphics setting control panel display. Of course I checked to see if there was a native control panel already on my mac to adjust the graphics card setting, but supposedly Mac thinks all it's users are huntards and doesn't offer anything more than refresh rate adjustment, resolution and color options in the system settings for the GPU. That would just be a workaround anyway, and I hope that Turbine will fix this problem in the mac client soon. I don't know anything about computer programming, but shouldn't fixing the fps limiter and engine speed option be relatively simple? Maybe not, but it my little fantasy world it should be easy. Just flip a few 1's to 0's, 0's to 1's and wallah!

1- Most of the in-game "sliders" do not work in the Mac Client. This was listed as a "known issue" when the original Mac Beta client was released back in Beta 1 and the status has not been changed in any public posting, so one must assume they are all still broken along with a number of other similar issues from the initial release back in July.

2- The CrossOver installation (which I also ran) used the Windows PC version of the LOTRO Client. The Mac Client is a completely newly written NATVE Mac version of the Game Engine. That is why many of the things which worked, and still work, in the PC client, do not work in the Mac Client. CrossOver is a version of WINE. Changes in the PC Client broke WINE. Patches have been made available to WINE which fix that proroblem; however Codeweavers has stated that since there is now a Native Mac Client that CrossOver will not be upgraded to support LOTRO. At some time in the future, Codeweavers will likely upgrade CrossOver to the latest version of WINE, at which time LOTRO will again run under CrossOver, but until that upgrade to WINE 1.5.xx happens, your only option is to "roll-your-own" i.e. Compile and Install a stand alone version of WINE... not a simple task.

3- As for the "dark" screen issue -- turn on your Personal Torch" -- Alt-F10. It's always been there, but it has never been documented by Turbine since the first release of Shadows of Angmar!

4- As for "Driver Updates" (especially Graphics)... correct, NO VENDOR is capable of providing updates to the OSX drivers for their Graphics, disk drives, or anything else in a Mac. Apple Licenses the particular Chip (in the case of Graphics) and incorporates it in to the design of their mother boards. (There is only one Mac model which actually uses stand-alone graphics cards.) Similarly, it licenses the Graphics Drivers and modifies them to be incorporated into OSX.

5- As to "tools" -- yeah, "Apple knows best." There are virtually zero tools available to tweak any component of OSX, let alone the hardware. Even from the Unix point of view (i.e. Open Source code) there is relatively little available which deals with aspects of the Kernel or Hardware. One of the main reasons being the Apple NDA... if you have access to Apple's code for OSX, you can't do anything with it! It is annoying, but it is a fact of life.

6- As for a FPS limiter itself -- It really isn't necessary for the Mac Client. The Graphics available on any Mac able to run Lion or Mountain Lion are more than sufficient to run Ultra-High Resolution Graphics in LOTRO... I do it on a regular basis, and it does work with no issues.... Note that I'm not talking about playing the Game at Ultra-High Resolution, just looking at the Pretty Graphics!!!

The primary issue with the Mac Client is the fact that it is STILL a 32-bit client, and a 32-bit client is NOT capable of addressing more than 4GB (3.7GB under OSX) of memory -- period. It is a limitation of Physics. The Mac Client (and the PC CLient as well) crash because of memory management issues. You can play for HOURS anyplace outside of Rohan, Instances or Sessions; but only about 60-90 minutes in those areas. Rohan itself is much more Graphically intense than the "old world," and the issue of "Land blocks" is more acute.

Partial cast

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    6- As for a FPS limiter itself -- It really isn't necessary for the Mac Client. The Graphics available on any Mac able to run Lion or Mountain Lion are more than sufficient to run Ultra-High Resolution Graphics in LOTRO... I do it on a regular basis, and it does work with no issues.... Note that I'm not talking about playing the Game at Ultra-High Resolution, just looking at the Pretty Graphics!!!
    The problem being highlighted with no way to throttle FPS or to use Vsync to limit FPS, is that they are playing on MacBooks which will get very hot when the game is running full out. And they use this control to reduce the run temperature. Not that the Mac can't handle the load as such.

Even on the iMac in hot weather I prefer to limit the FPS in order to reduce the running temperature which is just not possible now.

Is this issue ever going to get fixed?

Turbine, if you're reading this...

Quote Originally Posted by cfurlin View Post
    Is this issue ever going to get fixed?

Turbine, if you're reading this...
    Sigh... it was bugged in the very first beta version in July of 2012.

Partial cast