We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Rethinking the Auto-flip and Keep layout.

Wanted to present this idea for the PvMP community to mull over.

It is late. This is not gonna be a perfect post.
    There are two things that I would be curious to see discussed.

What if there was a suggestion/proposal that the auto-keep flips are set on individual keep timers? The keep will flip to the opposing side if it hasn't changed hands at the end of the time frame.
    Example: TR is blue. At the end of two hours, TR is still blue. It auto-flips to red.

However, if the keep changes hands, the timer is reset.
    Example: TR is blue. Forty minutes later, creeps flip TR to red. Timer on auto-flip resets. TR is red for the next two hours unless it changes hands (freeps flip it).

Second suggestion/proposal
    Re-implement the "Flag Room Door" (or whatever you call it).
    Think back to when we had to go through the keep to flip the flag at the end. Reinstate this door, but keep the backdoor.

Having this door back into place could potentially reduce a sizeable force from facerolling the keep to the end. It might allow the smaller group/individuals to defend the keep.

If you wish: please comment on the above. Pros, Cons, what have you.

As I said, it is late, it is not perfect. There are many, many things that I have not considered I am sure. However, if the above ideas are viable or not would be nice to see discussed and maybe even implemented [soon].
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c01000015987b/signature.png]Polarbash[/charsig]

Some call me Ice

How about we just abolish auto-flips all together or at least make it so that they only flip to the side which is 'losing' .

Preferably the first option- I think it discourages groups from flipping the keeps if they are perpetually flipping.

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Shumzuda View Post
    How about we just abolish auto-flips all together
    Pretty much this. I don't recall seeing a single post in the run-up to the Moors screw-up, I mean revamp, where anyone even considered putting this forward as a change they'd want in the Moors. Since then, again I don't recall seeing a single post, not one, where someone thought this was a worthwhile change and would be happy to see it stay. Given Turbines inability to admit when they've screwed up by putting a feature in though, the chances of this being reverted are currently hovering between zero and naff all.

Auto-flips are a stupid mechanic. They make taking keeps the old-fashioned way almost pointless.

Not only is it a stupid mechanic, but nothing about it was mentioned in any developer diaries. At first people thought it was a glitch.

Again, as the time for this post is in haste. There are probably better responses.

As the posts so far suggest that auto-flips are an unfair implementation that was ninja’d onto live without vocalization or note mention, disregarding response of the PvMP community, yet! there is no hope for them to stop auto-flipping, why isn't there more discussion or thought about the prospective ideas in the original post?

Abolishing auto-flips may be an option that we will see. If it isn't, as it hasn't, why not further discuss or mull the original posts ideas? Just because abolishing auto-flips is the preference, does not mean that these ideas cannot be discussed. There may also be advantages to auto-flips that help change the sway of the moors (ie breaking up one-sided camps).

Auto-flipping keeps do discourage groups from flipping the keeps if they are perpetually changing hands (especially if you take the keep, walk out, and it autoflips back). This, I agree, is pointless. If, however, there is a standard timer that resets upon the keep changing hands it is not pointless.
    For instance: you flip LY, you now know that your side has LY for the next two hours unless! the opposition comes and flips it themselves. This helps indicate where the opposition is for both sides.

Let us see if a quick example may help instigate conversation and thought.

Currently, it is a GV camp. Freeps have a few obvious options. Stay at GV. Safe route out of GV. Leave. Stay. Die. Ignore. Delving. PvE. What-have-you.

The map is all red.

TR auto-flips to blue. Freeps (who are outnumbered in all aspects) take a partial safe route and jump off heading for the back door of TR. They make it into TR back door safely and await to defend. With the reimplementation of the [flag door] they may now defend without being zerged out of the keep and being whipped back to a GV camp. There is now an opportunity in TR for both sides to fight and work together to get kills, points, renown, infamy, glory.

TR will be under freep control for the next two hours unless creeps take control of it back manually.

There is also a scenario in my mind that could possibly move action into the northern region of the map that is rather unused on my server (ie Arador’s End/Isen).

Sorry for the wall of text. So far it has been discouraging to see only three posts that do little to help stir conversation.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c01000015987b/signature.png]Polarbash[/charsig]

Some call me Ice

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenPenguin View Post
    Currently, it is a GV camp. Freeps have a few obvious options. Stay at GV. Safe route out of GV. Leave. Stay. Die. Ignore. Delving. PvE. What-have-you.

The map is all red.
    what happens if it's a GV camp, freeps have 1 keep then it auto-flips to red? So far any idea that has involved keeping auto-flips I don't like

I do like the idea of putting the door to the flag-room back in. Take out auto-flips, put in the flag-room door and fights inside keeps could be fun again.

That would mean that that specific keep has not changed sides in two hours.

Some call me Ice

Right. Just saying those auto-flips can hinder an outnumbered side as much as help them. Auto-flips also make the oil/ore turn-in quests at front door of TR/TA/lug more pointless.

Auto-flips would allow rez circles to flip while that side is being camped in it.

No no no no. Just no, no and no to auto-flips. Do NOT in any way encourage Turbine to do anything but disabling the auto-flips. Do NOT hint at any other solution than getting rid off auto-flips. Mindlessly repeat the same message over and over for the odd 0.000000000001% that they'll one day actually listen and sort this mess out by...wait for it.....waaaait...disable it. Voila.
    Turbine devs. may know how to get their finger IN the bottle, but they sure as ... dunno how to get it out again. So if you leave any gap for them, they'll grab it. As in they'd much rather stick another finger in a new bottle than spending time on getting the first one out. So just leave it...

Now, regarding bringing back the flagroom capping thingy, by all means. With a backdoor working as it is now? No thanks. It would make it virtually impossible to cap a keep then without massively outnumbering the opposition. Or at least it would become very, very time consuming. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love trolling the backdoor when 'dem farmers come for me', but that would just be taking it too far. To keep it in the spirit of the OP; I'm too tired right now to post any meaningful alternatives, but I shall try and come up with some tomorrow.

G'night. \o
    [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/547875_10152075720742701_46971757_n.jpg[/IMG]
    66 Maggot Street, Grothum, Arador's End, Ettenmoors.
    Laurelin/Landroval/Brandywine.

Take away the limitation fer the oil/ore quests.

As for reinstating the [flag room door]. I meant reinstating it along with adding a keep flip timer. Just the door, no capping of the flag room.

It appears that a fair number of people are just disgusted with the whole idea of auto-flips. I was trying to figure a way that might alter the current system into something less frustrating or seemingly pointless or something that seems to encourage camping.

Anyhow. Further opinions are still welcome.

Some call me Ice

What if a defender is still in the keep after two hours? Or is it that immediately when they leave it flips? What if, like on my server, people install boxer toons inside the keeps to prevent them from flipping.

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

As for reinstating the [flag room door]. I meant reinstating it along with adding a keep flip timer. Just the door, no capping of the flag room.
    Ah, right, gotcha. Yea...hmm, sure. Bringing the door back would be nice I suppose, would lessen the impact of the zerg trains for sure. Approved.

It appears that a fair number of people are just disgusted with the whole idea of auto-flips. I was trying to figure a way that might alter the current system into something less frustrating or seemingly pointless or something that seems to encourage camping.
    There's absolutely no reason to build your house in the swampiest of swamps.
    Last edited by poxnoxious; Oct 07 2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Because I can!
    [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/547875_10152075720742701_46971757_n.jpg[/IMG]
    66 Maggot Street, Grothum, Arador's End, Ettenmoors.
    Laurelin/Landroval/Brandywine.

I would just like to see it back to the way it was before, no backdoor, flag room door and most most most definitely no auto flip.

Keep fights used to be (more) fun. Now they are just open field fights with slightly weird geography that in no way hinders zerging.

Quote Originally Posted by Shumzuda View Post
    How about we just abolish auto-flips all together.
    I agree with Shum, do away with auto flips, let whichever side is down go flip them back. Just because a side is being lazy shouldn't mean that they get a free keep. Put together a raid and take it back.

And get rid of DoF autos on OPs, they are just irking to both sides.
    Meshoot, rank 9 Blackarrow, Officer of Freepaphiles Riddermark
    >:} Memento Mori {:<
    Aka Grumpis the honorable Mustelidian Pew Pew of love and cheery brightness.
    >The Mustelidian Cult is the cult, is the cult for you and me<

To be honest, I feel that these autoflips ruin more than help in the moors. The same thing with backdoors.

My proposal would be that the Keeps flips once every 36 or 48 hours. If the creeps have TR they will keep it for a day and a half to two days, unless the freeps can get their act together and retake it. That way, owning a keep really means something. Every time a keep is flipped, the timer reset.

Backdoors ruin the fun, so I say that if you are in combat, you cant use them. If need be to flee, you can always jump out. Or maybe use them as they were intended, make them a 1-way entrance to the keep in order to help defend it.

Turbine has totally ruined pvp for this game with auto-flips. Now its either rez camps, gv or grams camps, or playing the "evening" out the op game.. Meanwhile people dont even try and take keeps anymore because whats the point? I worked my butt off with small groups flipping these keeps so I can get map quests done on other toons, only to have it "Auto-flip" 30 seconds after exiting the keep.

Way to think things over Turbine. I will not be renewing my sub. Yet another disgruntled player leaving your game. I've seen so many people leave recently it's like a mass exodus.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001ee5cf/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]