We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Groups?

  1. #1

    Groups?

    Hello, i'd like some advice on finding groups for Instances/Dungeons/Raids, what have you, i've tried the IF but to no avail, i tried the GLFF and Unite channels but i see absolutely nobody looking for groups, no chatting at all in the time i was in there, is this game just not about grouping anymore? or do you have to go to a certain area? any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Right now, the game is very quiet. People have run pretty much every instance as many times as they want to over the past few months. Not many people are going through instances now because in a couple months Helm's Deep will arrive and our current gear will be obsolete.

    That said, there should be at least a few people willing to do instances. Keep asking on glff and be patient. If the game shows a decent number of people in the channel, somebody is listening. My server Elendilmir had a few groups going tonight. When December rolls around, there will be tons of grouping going on again.

  3. #3
    To build upon what was stated. Turbine is going to do a currency reset with Helms Deep. There is little point in running level 85 instances when you are not going to be able to buy the new level 95 good stuff with your current Seals because your Seals will all be converted to Medallions. Or you will need the new currency that is being introduced with the Big Battles feature.

    I suspect a lot of people are either taking a break. Or leveling characters. Ignoring the group content.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by cltool9 View Post
    Hello, i'd like some advice on finding groups for Instances/Dungeons/Raids, what have you, i've tried the IF but to no avail, i tried the GLFF and Unite channels but i see absolutely nobody looking for groups, no chatting at all in the time i was in there, is this game just not about grouping anymore? or do you have to go to a certain area? any help would be much appreciated.
    Depend on your server. Some servers have more activities, some lesser. Timezone is another reason. And most of people only run endgame instances/raids so it could be hard to find group for lower contents. One more thing is make sure you use the right "global" channel. For some server it's GlobalLFF, not GLFF.

  5. #5
    People in this game just don't group much. They never have, not in the 5+ years I've been playing.

    The only way to get a group most of the time is to be in a kinship that groups a lot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,044
    what server are you on? if it is mine (Imladris) it is true that here hasn't been much grouping lately...
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    People in this game just don't group much. They never have, not in the 5+ years I've been playing.

    The only way to get a group most of the time is to be in a kinship that groups a lot.
    Not sure what server you are on, but I have pugged every instance in the game. My kin usually only has a few players on at a time. We occasionally do 3-mans and have once in history that I'm aware of done a kin 6-man. GLFF works well enough for me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    People in this game just don't group much. They never have, not in the 5+ years I've been playing.
    The only way to get a group most of the time is to be in a kinship that groups a lot.
    I don't know on what server or hours you play neither why you have a hard time finding a group. But on all the servers i play & peak hours & even more the weekends there is always lot of people running instances. As the previous posters said the group runs just got reduced because a new expansion is about to be released. This is the normal cycle.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    465
    The cycle explanation only applies to servers/timezones where groups often happened in the past. For many of us (trancejeremy and myself, at the very least), this is not a transient problem and has nothing to do with proximity to a new expansion. My conclusion from the three years I've been playing this game is that if you live in the western US, you very rarely get to group at all, and never anywhere near enough to access more than the most basic endgame gear for that year. At 65 we were still in Moria armor; at 75 it was a huge struggle just to get a Draigoch run for a helm/shoulder token - ToO t1 was literally a once in a lifetime experience for me, and we didn't beat Saruman that one time either. Current endgame - pretending for purposes of calculation that HD doesn't exist, I'd be on track to have enough seals for one 1st ager after five and a half months of play on Vilya (mid-Dec., since I got a computer capable of running RoR at the beginning of July) and after 16 months of play on Arkenstone. Obviously I'm a big fan of Hytbold armor, because I'll never get to see the Erebor stuff.

    Let me turn this around for those of you who think groups are common and maybe there's just a lull at the moment: what servers are you on, and what time zone do you live in? I'm especially interested in responses from other players in the Pacific time zone. If there is a server out there where we get to group often (Brandywine, maybe?) I'm seriously considering some server transfers after HD. Depending which classes get broken by the new trait trees...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    My conclusion from the three years I've been playing this game is that if you live in the western US, you very rarely get to group at all...
    My experience is the opposite, our kin was most active from 10:00 pm /servertime (that's 7 pm Pacific) through 1:00 am /servertime (that's 10:00 pm Pacific). There was also a bubble of activity midday when Euro folks were on, a bit before that when Asian folks were on. It doesn't matter which server, since they started rotating servers, the least populated becomes the most crowded after a while.

    The key is to join a kin with folks who have players active during your playtimes. Check how many are on before you join the kin, and include weekdays as well as weekends, there's no need to rush joining a kin, they'll accept you a week later. :-)

    If you are more interested in certain instances (Moria for example, or level 20 GBs), ask if the kin is known to do that before joining. I used to keep a character in the mid-20s just for joining GB runs at those levels, until it became level 30 on GBs alone! Now that the XP disabler is available, that won't happen again when I park it for Moria runs.

    Realize most grouping happens between friends or kinmates which is never publicized. Only when folks need fillers, or don't have a ready group, do they turn to LFF or GLFF (aside from the PUGing regulars or folks who play infrequently or have empty kins).

    If you want to group, join the groups that group, don't avoid the folks who pursue that, or they'll just do it without you even being aware! ;-)

    PS: If anyone is seeking grouping on Firefoot, shoot me a message with your character name!
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,414
    I am not even in a kinship & can see there is plenty activity in & out of kinships. Not even now the activity have gone to zero but only diminished with the advent of Helms Deep. So i trully don't get how is that you find zero activity in 3 years. I see some people wearing great erebor armour & i could be 1 of them. There are groups i can join, i just decided thats too much grinding for my taste.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    Let me turn this around for those of you who think groups are common and maybe there's just a lull at the moment: what servers are you on, and what time zone do you live in? I'm especially interested in responses from other players in the Pacific time zone. If there is a server out there where we get to group often (Brandywine, maybe?) I'm seriously considering some server transfers after HD. Depending which classes get broken by the new trait trees...
    I'm in the western US playing on Elendilmir, and I've pugged every instance there is. The best times to look are about 5-8 pm local time on Friday and Saturday. I suppose we're a bit unique in that as the east coasters start logging off for the night, the Aussies are logging on in their morning, so player levels stay up.

    Things have slowed down the last few weeks, but there's still groups. I ran Sari-Surma a couple days ago, not an easy instance to find a group for. There used to be T1 Erebor raids going almost every night but that's mostly dried up.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    My experience is the opposite, our kin was most active from 10:00 pm /servertime (that's 7 pm Pacific) through 1:00 am /servertime (that's 10:00 pm Pacific). There was also a bubble of activity midday when Euro folks were on, a bit before that when Asian folks were on. It doesn't matter which server, since they started rotating servers, the least populated becomes the most crowded after a while.

    The key is to join a kin with folks who have players active during your playtimes. Check how many are on before you join the kin, and include weekdays as well as weekends, there's no need to rush joining a kin, they'll accept you a week later. :-)
    It most certainly does matter which server. Firefoot sounds quite different from Vilya and Arkenstone (especially the latter). I'll add Firefoot to my list of servers to scout, hadn't really considered it before, thanks! I've been wondering what server you're on since you posted those hilariously delusional (from my perspective) pieces of advice about grouping while leveling on other threads. Sometimes it's hard to believe we play the same game, we have such opposite experiences of group availability!

    And yeah, I know how to research a kin. Didn't have much else to do during the 75 endgame on Arkenstone last year... As a result of which I am in the least-inactive kin for my playing time, with modest numbers of people on doing ... something (some pvp, some I have no idea), as opposed to the other kins on the server with 0-3 people on. No groups in a couple months though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    I'm in the western US playing on Elendilmir, and I've pugged every instance there is. The best times to look are about 5-8 pm local time on Friday and Saturday.
    That would be east coast prime time. Saturdays, sure, would be nice to see groups on weekends (never understood why kins don't schedule things then...). But weeknights, that's when groups are scheduled (to the extent groups happen at all) on my servers, which is irrelevant since I'm still at work or just getting home during those hours. West coast prime time would be 8pm-midnight Pacific, though RJFerret's 7pm-10pm works too. I usually log in between 7-8pm during the week.

    Congrats on getting to see SS! That, along with LT, OD, and BG, are the four instances I've never seen a group for and would very much like to visit someday.

    And thanks also YamydeAragon, I'll take a look at Windfola as well - another server I hadn't given much thought to before.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Elendilmir has groups during the week too. I just saw a Draigoch run fill up on glff on... Monday night I think it was. (Which is unusual... I've only seen 2-3 of those in the last several months... don't want to make E sounds like Raid Central, I've only found one ToO pug myself, though fortunately we beat it!) Last night there was a T1 Flight run around 8 pm. And I was hardly on glff since I was in the Moors, there was probably more going on. I say 5-8 pm as the peak times, not that nothing happens at any other time.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload