We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hill-Men Languages

Hello, all. I am not sure if this has already been addressed somewhere, but I could not find such a thread, and so thought I would make one myself.

I was travelling once more through Eriador, and encountering the various Hill-men tribes again, particularly in Angmar. Can anyone comment on the origins of the place names and titles in the Hill-man language? I assume there was no work done on this by the Professor, but is this a case like the Lossoth where there are more-or-less direct translations in a real-world, analogous language? Or were the names picked out of a hat? If this is the case, is there a list somewhere of what these places mean?

The developers historically seem to put a lot of time into making the names just right, and I was just wondering about the Hill-man languages.

4 Twinfall Path, Tund Nir, Falathlorn Homesteads, Eldar
    The Lossoth speak Finnish. But upon re-reading your post, I see that you probably already knew that. Oops.
    Last edited by angryhands; Oct 06 2013 at 02:40 AM.

The language of the Hillmen of Rhudaur and Angmar is based off Scots Gaelic.
    The language of the Dunlendings is Welsh.

The use of Celtic languages to reflect a 'translated' Middle-earth language of these Eriadorian peoples is likely due to Tolkien basically using a few Brythonic Celtic elements in his works.
    From Tolkien's "Guide to the Names in the Lord of the Rings"
    Archet. This is actually an English place-name of Celtic origin. It is used in the nomenclature of Bree to represent a stratum of names older than those in the Common Speech or Hobbit language. So also Bree, an English place-name from a Celtic word for 'hill'. Therefore retain Archet and Bree unaltered, since these names no longer have a recognized meaning in English. Chetwood is a compound of Celtic and English, both elements meaning 'wood'; compare Brill, in Oxfordshire, derived from bree + híll. Therefore in Chetwood retain Chet and translate -wood.
    You can add to this the names of many of the Brandybuck family which are basically Welsh, the idea being that the Stoors of Buckland preserved Welsh names from when they lived in Dunland.

Cool

Then the stoors where short dunlendings? I knew there was something familiar between Nona & Farmer Maggot.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Then the stoors where short dunlendings? I knew there was something familiar between Nona & Farmer Maggot.
    Well they are both cranky!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I was thinking on more like the physical description (apart how tall) but that too. Thought Farmer Maggot is cranky on the way a old man is to the kids that mischief. Nona is cranky on the way of impatient young. She probably will grow up to be like him someday.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    . She probably will grow up to be like him someday.

Yup! And will have a couple of dogs that will chase youngins that try to steal her mushrooms!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Yup! And will have a couple of dogs that will chase youngins that try to steal her mushrooms!
    I rather have the dogs haunting me than a angry woman. I can make the dogs happy drowing them a slab of bacon. & Nona is specially scary when she gets mad, she soloed that giant at Wildemore.