We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hands of Healing - 2-hander vs 1-hander + shield

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before. I tried looking through the stickied threads but quickly lost interest after the links I wanted were broken and the general information a bit outdated.

My captain is now lvl 48. I played the first 25 levels or so months ago (leveled my warden, burg, cappy and RK pretty much all at the same time from Ered Luin, through the Shire, and into Bree). Then I stopped playing since technically my focus had been on a different class (LM, if I remember correctly). I gained another half-dozen levels from festivals and crafting. Then about 2-3 weeks ago I started playing my captain again (started at level 32). A member of my kinship was approaching Moria for the very first time and I love taking people through that place. I've got an excellent sense of direction and that region is just so great that I hate to see anyone having troubles navigating.

So anyway, in the last 2-3 weeks I blasted through Evendim, Forochel and Eregion and as of 2:30 AM this morning I was with my kinmates in the Walls of Moria. But in those 2-3 weeks I feel I have learned a lot about the captain class, and yet I also feel like I'm just missing so much. I know we are the jack-of-all-trades class, and I try to keep my skills organized in a logical manner (though I still forget to use some of them, especially Marks and the Shield-Brother skills). I'm working on knowing my skills better, but right now what I'm really look for is advice on the class itself. I've already got a number of classes to level-cap (guardian, minstrel, hunter, RK, LM and almost my champion). I've got a low-level burglar and warden as well. Because of how many classes I've played and the fact that I love my tactical/healing classes the most, I really want to go for Hands of Healing with my captain. I don't enjoy my guardian very much and my warden will be a tank as well, and then I have both melee DPS (champ) and ranged DPS (hunter). The captain has so many unique skills for buffing, healing and debuffing, that I really want to steer away from a tanking or DPS captain.

That said, I've been using a 2-handed weapon (either a great axe/sword or a halberd) since I first started playing. But even with my heavy armor, I feel very squishy. And since I'm not aiming for DPS, I was seriously wondering if I should look into using a shield instead. I already got a 2-hander for my Volume II Book I epic, but that is easily replaceable if I decide to go with a 1-hander and a shield. I still have only limited healing abilities. My questing partners are a guardian (been to Moria before) and a champion (the first-timer). With three heavy classes and me being the only class with the heals, I really want to be the support of the trio. Tank? Check. DPS? Check. Support/heals? Hm... We managed to complete Leader of the Foul Woods slightly under-leveled (and it only took a few wipes xD) but it was that instance that really made me start wondering whether I should get a shield and a 1-hander. Any thoughts?
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

If you have an on-level shield with Might on it, that will give you more healing output than a 2-handed weapon. Even assuming that you get lucky with a 2H LI that has Might on it, I think a level 85 Greatsword has ~30 Might, while a level 85 Might shield had 75 Might. Already, that's a positive gain in terms of Tactical Mastery, in favour of the shield. But, in addition to that, most light shields also have a bonus amount of Tactical Mastery.

In the end, it's only about a couple of percent difference in Tactical Mastery. The conversion from Tactical Mastery to Outgoing Healing is a bit steeper, so ultimately we're talking about maybe 2% more Outgoing Healing. But, if you're feeling squishy, the shield will definitely help, so it's a very viable option for a healing Captain.
    [b][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Cainwen Ciaphas[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][COLOR="#C3C3C3"], Captain of Crickhollow, [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/CiaphasCain]HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH[/url]!!!
    [i]I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered![/i] My opinions are my own![/color]

Thanks for the suggestions. Now, I've been focusing more on vitality than might, because even if I didn't want to do Hands of Healing, I would want to go more in a tank role than DPS. Are you saying I should focus on might instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now, I've been focusing more on vitality than might, because even if I didn't want to do Hands of Healing, I would want to go more in a tank role than DPS. Are you saying I should focus on might instead?
    Might is our primary stat. It raises a lot more than just damage. It's easy these days to overload on one stat or another; even with the changes, Captains need to look for some balance.

Maybe it's time to open up your character screen, hover over each stat, and refresh yourself on what they do? Don't feel ashamed; I've been playing for over 6 years and I have to do this from time to time. It's easy to lose track, and sometimes they even change it on you!
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    Might is our primary stat. It raises a lot more than just damage. It's easy these days to overload on one stat or another; even with the changes, Captains need to look for some balance.

Maybe it's time to open up your character screen, hover over each stat, and refresh yourself on what they do? Don't feel ashamed; I've been playing for over 6 years and I have to do this from time to time. It's easy to lose track, and sometimes they even change it on you!
    Well, the weird thing is that somethings the stats seem to contribute in different ways depending on what toon I'm on, and with this being my 7th toon, the lines really start to blur. xD I'll take a look and see what I can figure out, though.

Well, the weird thing is that somethings the stats seem to contribute in different ways depending on what toon I'm on, and with this being my 7th toon, the lines really start to blur. xD I'll take a look and see what I can figure out, though.
    Yes, the stats do different things for different classes. Primarily, Physical and Tactical Mastery comes from different stats depending on your class.

Might will give Parry, Block and Physical Mitigation to everyone, but Physical mastery to only Captain, Guardian and Champion, and Tactical Mastery to only Captain.
    Agility will give Parry, Evade and Crit to everyone, and Physical Mastery to Burglar, Hunter and Warden, and Tactical Mastery to Warden.
    Will gives Tactical Mitigation and Resistance to everyone, Physical Mastery to Lore-master, Minstrel and Runekeeper, and Tactical Mastery (in varying amounts) to all classes except Captain and Warden.

So basically chose stat after your armour: Heavy wants Might, Medium wants Agility and Light wants Will.

The lotro-wiki page on Character Stats gives a good rundown of them.

When my cappy (as is true most often) goes Hands of Healing he uses 1H+shield.

DPS reduces from low to negligible BUT I get armour rating, block, better might and TMR from a shield than the bonuses on a 2-hander. Crucially also I seem to attack faster and hence keep those Inspires and Valiant Strikes going.

I wouldn't unequip my shield (Warg-Trainer's shield from warg pens) unless I had suddenly to trait a lot of red. Re stats, I traited for might > crit > vit > fate > everything else and have the rather cheesy 4 Hytbold Healer + 2 Perseverance setup.

Thanks Cadd_EU and Aedfrith! I'd always been under the assumption that classes went more with vitality if they were designed to tank (my guard has 17k morale because I focused on vitality more than might). And while I want my cappy to be the support rather than the tank, I thought vitality would play a more important role than might. Glad I'm finding out differently now! xD

Sword and board is a great option, for a healing cappy. I still use Halberd, but that is for looks. (rolleyes)

Might is the stat you want to focus on first, fate second, tactical mastery 3rd and vit 4th. Basically tactical mastery is what your healing is based on. 1 pt of might = 10 points of Tatical Mastery, thus you want to stack might first. Fate comes second for the crit, so you can open up you defeat responses as much as possible-to get to Rally Cry. Tactical mastery generally doesn't show up much but on relics and shields, but is worth paying attention to. You do need a minimum amount of moral though so you can't be taken out in one hit, if that requires giving up some might/fate, fine. Most HOH cappies run moral banner, so that will up your health a lot. By level 75 you want to have about 7000 moral unbuffed, and it only need go up to 7500-8000 for 85. I do however avoid vit food because I don't want to loose moral if I die in a raid and can't eat. I use fate food the most, but fights where I don't get a lot of crits (BFE for some reason) I just go for might food and do more single target healing as needed.

As a HOH cappy I start out with my brother skills, Strength of Arms can be up 100% of the time if you have the legacy and can be hit before combat starts, To Arms is next and Inspiration after it. I trait Fellowship-brother so these hit everyone around me. Right now with the level 85 HOH armour bonus I actually start with Valiant Strike before To Arms, but that will come after Inspiration when the armour bonus changes. Then I go to Battle-Shout to try to open a crit to give me Rally Cry, if it doesn't work I hit Improved Sure Strike to reduce the cooldown on Battle-Shout for another try. Every time a fellow-bother skill is up I make it a priority to hit it first. I keep the fellowship going, but I don't do much damage.

Hope this helps.

Claira
    Cappy Clairawen, 100 on Landroval
    Alts:
    Amberlorli 100 RK~Seawen 100 Mini~Axin 100 Champ~Poppywood 100 Hunter~Hannalorli 100 Guard~Flairin 100 Burg~Dovewen 60 LM~Emmeera 40 Warden~ Arctika 15 Beo

To add to the above, do not neglect your crit rating.

If you do it right, you should be at or above 20% self buffed.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Landroval

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Steam: Almagnus1