We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New player questions

Greetings,

I've played LOTRO back in the days when it was released but real life made me quite the game. I would like to return but there are some things i would like to know.

-free to play. Is it entirely free to play or are there still micro transactions/monthly fee?
    -does it mather if I don't have any of the expansions yet?

count yourself in for the ultimate grind...or pay to win!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000170c6/signature.png]Brash[/charsig]

Been reading this free to play stuff and it kinda sucks... You get absolutly nothing that is needed for a normal MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Byrrnoth View Post
    Been reading this free to play stuff and it kinda sucks... You get absolutly nothing that is needed for a normal MMO
    There are players who have levelled all the way up to the level cap with out spending a single penny. Some did it as an experiment, others out of necessity.

It can certainly be done, provided that you are willing to spend time rather than money to grind out TPs. Very few things are absolutely unobtainable without spending money.

That said, why would you expect to get absolutely everything for free? If everyone did that the game would cease to exist.
    TANSTAAFL

If you look for free stuff, i heard Zynga has lot of offers

Seriously, you go to SW:ToR, you got even less for free, and to get more, you must pay. WoW/Wildstar/SecondWorld, you need sub to play at all. Everquest, you get segregated to F2P server. Go FlyFF/Atlantica/GranadoEspada you need pay real money to unlock annoying limits.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Do you really think you're going to get anything in life as awesome as this game for nothing? Wakey wakey

Regardless of how much money you have to dump in LOTRO, I would still think playing the game through the Lone lands (and likely through Evendim with the TP you accumulate). I guess it depends on how you feel about leaving a game barely started once it starts to cost.

Things to expect to buy:
    At least one month of VIP: $15
    Mithril Edition: $20 (seen as low as $10 a few times a year)
    Quad Pack: $40 (note this includes the Moria expansion while Mithril includes the Moria quest pack, but Mithril also includes a few packs to get there as well).

This game can be cheap even compared to AAAA games, or expensive compared to WoW if you want to "buy a win". I suspect those who grind to open the game are costing more in electricity (paid either by them or somebody else) than actual cost of TP saved.

This post taught me everything I needed to know about paying real money for LOTRO (and updated thread).
    Last edited by yawumpus; Oct 05 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: closed parens

Greetings,

I've played LOTRO back in the days when it was released but real life made me quite the game. I would like to return but there are some things i would like to know.
    Welcome back! Unless you got your account via Codemasters, your characters still exist... though a LOT has changed.

-free to play. Is it entirely free to play or are there still micro transactions/monthly fee?
    It's really free. No monthly fee, unless you choose to subscribe again.

Now, the way you unlock non-Epic quests and deeds in the level 30+ zones is to buy them with Turbine Points (TPs), or rent them by subscribing. You can earn TPs in game, primarily by completing deeds. But if you have a life, you will probably want to buy a batch of TPs since it will probably take you a lot less time to earn the money to buy the points than to grind out the points by playing the game. It is up to you.

-does it mather if I don't have any of the expansions yet?
    It does not matter that you don't have any of the expansions yet. Depending on when you quit playing, it's *possible* that you have the Moria expansion but it sounds unlikely. Expansion content starts at level 50. You can buy the expansions either with RL money or with TPs (and you have to even if you subscribe), but you can definitely start playing and have fun before you decide.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Up grade account

Hi i am a new free player, i have download the game from this site, i don't buy the game OR the expansion and i have a question:
    If i upgrade my account to vip and pay the price i can do the lotro game with the 4 expansions without buy them OR however i must buy the BASIC gma and the 4 expansions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cucchi_andrea View Post
    Hi i am a new free player, i have download the game from this site, i don't buy the game OR the expansion and i have a question:
    If i upgrade my account to vip and pay the price i can do the lotro game with the 4 expansions without buy them OR however i must buy the BASIC gma and the 4 expansions? Thanks.
    You dont buy BASIC game, its free. Everyone, VIP or F2P, has to buy expansions to do quests there, gain deeds and have fun.

If you are VIP, as long as you pay, you get access to Questpacks, like Wildermore, GreatRiver, Lothlorien, Enedwaith, etc. They partially cover various level ranges covered by expansions, so one can theoeretically get to levelcap, without getting any expansions. Though, it would be a lot better to get them. There are additional benefits in rxpansions, that ju8st quests.

You could take advantage of buying QuadPack for half price, when you buy Helm's Deep expansion, though. On checkout, read carefully all extras offered.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

This is pretty much what it comes down to, LOTRO is not free to play, yes you can grind away at Turbine points, but that take a great deal of time, if you are working a full time job this can be very difficult, unless you spend every spare moment of your time at the computer. Unfortunately I can't do this as I have college and there are other things in life I enjoy, such as reading LOTR materiel...among other things. What it really comes down to is this, is LOTRO the game for you, if not then I would save your money. If this is your cup of tea, if you are a huge LOTRO fan and can't find anyone else who has managed to capture middle earth on such a scale and if you don't mind the fact that this game is a little aged, then this is the game for you, spend freely. I love this game despite its obvious age, I've spent hours and a bit of money on this game.

The nice thing about this game is that most of the things you need to buy are account bound, so once you have made the trip all the way to Rohan, you'll have bought whatever quest packs that you needed to get there and you can then use these packs on your future chars, inventory bags will carry over to other characters as well, the only thing that you might need will be the mount ability and that is so cheap you could go ahead and grind a little and then buy it. I would encourage you to go VIP for one month, but wait until you have a few characters created, that way you can unlock all of their trait slots. Another advantage to going VIP for a month is that all fast travel locations will be unlocked forever for all of your chars and all things account bound will be usable on other servers should you decide to make the switch.

As I said before, its a matter of whether or not this game is for you, jump on and check out the three free to play areas. If like it, you can either invest a great deal of time grinding Turbine Points, or you can spend a good bit of money buying your way through and in so doing, pave a road for and future chars you decide to create. I have spent around roughly $100 maybe $125, I have a path paved all the way to Rohan. Granted, I did take advantage of sales and such so that did cut my bill down a bit, but I don't regret it, LOTRO has been a very enjoyable game in the past, the future depends on how seriously Turbine is going to take this project.