We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Check your connection quality with Pingplotter or similar software. Routing issues can cause rendering issues. (Can't wait to get the house finished and onto our much better ISP). That said, I have had the Reduced Awareness notification pop up (not quite 100% with visible connection issues) and some rendering issues anywhere in the world. It hasn't been enough to adversely affect game play; but I am looking for it and will /bug it when it happens to me in such a manner that waiting a few seconds doesn't help.

LoTRO is not the only game that I've had connection quality adversely affect game play. For me, SWTOR is much more finicky about that than LoTRO is.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    Imagine this fictional conversation if you will...
    Yes, I understand the frustration perfectly well... as I said, I went nearly an entire year with the game freezing up on me back in 2010. Some nights it would run OK for an hour or two, but others it would freeze up several times inside 20 minutes. Lots of defeats that year. But I really cannot expect Turbine to test and code work-arounds to my specific OEM graphics driver defects. Why not? Because there must be hundreds of those combinations out there (wide set of legacy drivers running on dozens of different types of laptops). Maybe thousands. Basically, it's like having 846 (or whatever) slightly different flavors of consoles to test on. And when they apply some kludge to make mine work, they might very well break several others. When the graphics driver was updated, my problems vanished. Entirely.

They're going to test with the latest drivers on many different video cards. And they'll probably test with some handful of the most commonly used older versions too. But if you're not within that envelope, it's quite possible things will break sometimes. If it's their fault, they should fix it. In my case from 2010... it wasn't. It was clearly a driver issue - one that was fixed when HP finally updated my graphics driver. Before that, I spent months fiddling with the graphics settings, trying to find out just what was causing the freezes. I tried DX9, DX10, changing most advanced settings in various combinations. Sometimes I'd think it had fixed things, only to discover a few days later it hadn't.

Anyway, I had more than one experience like that on my "gaming laptop", which is why I ditched it about 9 months back and bought a nice desktop. Back to the future. No, it isn't portable. But it's cheaper, has a lot more power, and I can upgrade components and drivers whenever it's needed (or wanted). Open systems can be hell. They're even worse when they're not actually very open (like when you're using a gaming laptop).

If you're fortunate, this will turn out to be a "their fault" situation, and they can fix it in some reasonable way. If not... my condolences. Been there, done that. It sucks. If you cannot get a new driver, about the only thing I can suggest is trying to roll back to an older one, and see if that works. Or else just twiddle your fingers for potentially months, hoping Turbine can do something to fix it for you without breaking things for others.

Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Oct 05 2013 at 10:47 PM.

From what I can tell, both AMD and Nvidia graphics card users are experiencing this problem, among different driver versions and different settings. (I'm running an AMD with the absolute latest 13.10 driver, still have the issue)

Hopefully a fix is put out in a reasonable timeframe.
    Beastwise - Captain, R15 | Shock and Awe | Gladden

My entire point is that I have no problem with certain new content being less than perfect due to an older or newly-unsupported video card, etc.

My problem is with content that worked fine for 5+ years and is all of a sudden virtually unplayable due to SOME change on Turbine's end.

Nothing on my end changed. Therefore it cannot possibly be my 'fault'.

They want to make the new content require bells and whistles and water cooled vid cards? Hey, whatever, I'm down with that.

The 'fix' is to rollback whatever is causing this problem and start to fix the other problem from scratch in a way that doesn't break existing paid-for content.

If I can't run certain aspects of HD due to the system requirements being too high for Big Battles, that's on me.

If I can't run Angmar because there are no walls there today when there were yesterday, that's on them.

Get the difference?
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

Win8/64 NVidia GTX 770, was at 320.something. My system was brand-spanking new as of August 1, 2013.

Just upgraded to 327.23 just now.

Since I was seeing this texture-load problem pretty much every day, I'll report back in a day or so if this has mitigated things.

It is interesting to note that Microsoft pushed an update with this new driver version in the past week or so. So this problem might be bigger than Turbine; it might actually be in DirectX and might be affecting any product that makes use of specific DX calls.

Pure speculation on my part, but the possibility exists that Turbine did nothing and problem is deeper in the technology stack.
    Viniel, 100 Minstrel -- Tokomak, 100 Guard -- Valwin, 100 Captain -- Vinlad, 100 Burglar -- Vinius, 100 Champion -- (and others)

Quote Originally Posted by Viniel View Post
    It is interesting to note that Microsoft pushed an update with this new driver version in the past week or so. So this problem might be bigger than Turbine; it might actually be in DirectX and might be affecting any product that makes use of specific DX calls.

Pure speculation on my part, but the possibility exists that Turbine did nothing and problem is deeper in the technology stack.
    Well it happens on linux+wine and with the client set to OpenGL too...so this has definitely nothing to do with MS or DirectX.
    And since apparently AMD users are affected too, a driver bug is nigh impossible too...

Guess we'll have to keep sending bug reports as detailed as possible until Turbine fixes it.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Hmm. I had this issue the last couple of days. I sent in a bug report. Tonight, I noted some internet issues (I have a flaky connection at the moment) and they do seem related to the missing texture issue. I updated my NVidia driver today. When I first logged in, I did not notice a problem (no obvious connectivity glitches). Later tonight, while doing slayer deeds, it popped up. LoTRO's connection alert showed high pings and dropped packets. A quick check with pingplotter shows significant problems between my ISP and the backbone and between the backbone and Turbine's ISP. There is some internal to Turbine trouble, too this time.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Nothing on my end changed. Therefore it cannot possibly be my 'fault'.
    Nobody said it was. It wasn't my fault either when I had that freezing issue. It was my driver's fault, and when I was finally able to update that driver, it went away again.

It's nearly certain that they've never tested your laptop model with your OEM's graphics driver. Nor mine. There are way, way too many of those to make that feasible. If a change to the game exposes a defect in a 2 year old customized graphics driver, the chances of getting them to fix it are close to nil. It was when I finally internalized that unpleasant fact (which was true for every graphics-intensive app or game I wanted to use) that I resolved that I'd head back over to "desktop" on my next purchase. Laptops lock you in in all sorts of unpleasant ways (which is fine for work, not so fine for what I want to do at home).

Your best hope is that the same defect shows up in some recent, general-purpose drivers too. That way, if they can fix it for those, perhaps it will fix it for yours too.

By the way, I've run around in Moria for several hours now... no more missing textures.

Khafar

Win8/64 NVidia GTX 770, was at 320.something. My system was brand-spanking new as of August 1, 2013.

Just upgraded to 327.23 just now.

Since I was seeing this texture-load problem pretty much every day, I'll report back in a day or so if this has mitigated things.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring, even with the every latest drivers.

(Location: Walls of Moria public instance area, post LI quest sequence. I was running from Echad Dunaan to Durin's threshold. Various landscape objects failed to render.)
    Viniel, 100 Minstrel -- Tokomak, 100 Guard -- Valwin, 100 Captain -- Vinlad, 100 Burglar -- Vinius, 100 Champion -- (and others)

I never had this problem in the early part of the game like Moria etc, but now that I'm getting into late game I'm noticing walls of houses missing in areas like Snowbourne in the RoR expansion.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring, even with the every latest drivers.
    That's probably good news for the folks with laptops... perhaps a fix to deal with this on the latest drivers will also fix some of the people using older drivers.

Strange that it worked for me, but not for you. I'm running a GFX 670, no SLI. Most (but not all) of my graphics options are maxed. Perhaps if you can send them your dxdiag, exact locations, times, and server where this is happening... they'll be able to reproduce.

Khafar

Well, the textures are not missing per se. they just dont load properly. and to give some credit to Turbine, it may not be their servers but your own machines. e.g. wile missing some textures in Bree, if I enter an interior cell and exit, the textures are there again and alls well. My wife has a much more powerful machine (lenovo ideapad z500) than my old desktop, and she never had any problems with the graphics. So dont blame Turbine too soon.h

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbli View Post
    to give some credit to Turbine, it may not be their servers but your own machines.
    Rendering bugs are definitely the client, not the server. The question is whether it's caused by a bug in the graphics driver, or by a bug in the LOTRO client. Or both.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Rendering bugs are definitely the client, not the server. The question is whether it's caused by a bug in the graphics driver, or by a bug in the LOTRO client. Or both.

Khafar
    GFX drivers don't usually rot and you have to replace them with fresh ones, usually. If they were working fine before, it cannot be that for the same game, in the same machine, they stop working all of sudden.
    It's a problem with their client. I believe the mounted combat fix is buggy, as someone has said above. The glitches affect static objects that shouldn't require server interaction to be rendered, so it cannot be connection problems.
    Yesterday in Urugarth most of the structures in the last boss area were invisible. However I noticed that they appeared briefly when standing at a particular distance from them. For example, the main gate was missing from afar, then we I was like 20 meters away from it, it briefly appeared (with fading in effect, no less) and immediately disappeared fractions of second after, when I got any closer (with fade out effect).
    A GFX driver glitch is not that fancy with fading ins and outs, no way. They just messed up their "Appear if camera closer than this" and "Disappear if camera further away than this" routines somehow.

Never had this problem before 11.4, Reduced Awareness or not. Now I'm getting it at sometime in every play session. I've been doing a lot of deeding recently as I'm pretty much done with the content, and I can say that this happening in all areas for me.

Wasn't quite sure what it was as I've never encountered it before so I've been relogging to sort it out - which works for me.

This thread is very detailed. Too bad it's in the wrong forums! Post your issues with graphics, textures etc in the troubleshooting forums and you may actually get a helpful solution! Be sure to post your computer's tech specs (see stickies) and you should get a response in a reasonable time.
    Officer in Windfola's House of Blackrock: a great, casual kin of people who play a lot. [url]http://hobonline.org[/url]

I get a lot of disappearing graphics too lately.

Usually it is just a minor annoyance, but sometimes it can be very frustrating. I was in the Orc Pit (near Isen) and all the wooden walk ways and structures kept disappearing. It took me ages to get out.

oops === I miss posted. Could swear I hit reply to the gold cap thread. After I posted I noticed the reply above mine was talking about the graphics glitch of objects not rendering.

While "Keep your drivers up to date" is solid advice in general, suggesting that people mess around with their (otherwise stable) setup to try to fix this issue is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Well it happens on linux+wine and with the client set to OpenGL too...so this has definitely nothing to do with MS or DirectX.
    And since apparently AMD users are affected too, a driver bug is nigh impossible too...
    If this is indeed the case, then we can drop the pretense that Nvidia is to blame. I have a 560 TI. Is that top of the line these days? Of course not. Is it capable of rendering an ugly boulder two feet from my character? You betcha. Which it did, just fine, prior to the recent updates. My nvidia driver did not change. My video card did not spontaneously mutate. About a week after the issue began, I updated my driver for an unrelated reason (which ended up being caused by Win7 idle anyways). No difference. My kinmate hasn't changed his drivers in months, and yet his experience matches mine exactly. The worst area for both of us is near the giant camp in Evendim, which is comprised mainly of static elements (assuming those rocks aren't scripted to start dancing for some quest).

Could this be a client issue? Of course - in the sense that the patch created bugs in the client-side code. The only other explanation offered in this thread is that the recent updates modified the rendering algorithm in such a way that it now exploits previously-unknown bugs in Nvidia/AMD/OpenGL drivers to create the same visual glitching across all cards and drivers. Readers can decide which seems more likely.
    Last edited by MonkeyFunker; Oct 07 2013 at 08:35 AM.

pre 11.4 i had no problems with raid vs raid... now i am lagging bad, pls make sure we get the old performance back...
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlywyn View Post
    I think the missing graphics is due to reduced awareness, which is now a feature not a bug https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...uced-Awareness.
    It also happens without Reduced Awareness.
    It's a bug on the client side.

The servers also have some problems at the moment. Yesterday me and someone living in 800 km distance from my location saw some serious server lag in instances. While we both could still move, our skills would not fire and the enemies would stand still. This happened for 2 people living in different countries at the same time. Our communication with the server was ok, since we could still move. But nothing happened in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Feadel View Post
    Sometimes these problems can be "fixed" by switching off the DX11 or DX10 settings. I run on my laptop with Win7 and had to make sure all the DX settings were for DX9. Some patches have allowed me to change this, but in general i stick with DX9 settings. A friend also had this sort of problem and had to set his video settings to very high (or some thing like that) so that the textures in Moria would load properly.
    These are just suggestions, your actual solutions may vary. I hope things get straightened out.
    The issue is there with DX11, DX10 AND DX9.
    argio r11 burglar | trytofarmme r10 reaver | trytoloveme r10 spider | ikissedafreep r10 blackarrow | roargh r9 warleader | trytocatchme r9 warg |

Well yes. Everyone knows that, for sake of example, my laptop has been rendering things fine for 5+ years and just one day decided to stop rendering things like boulders in the middle of Eregion, and walls in Angmar. It's totally, and completely circumstantial that these errors were seemingly introduced with patch 11.3 and the mounted combat fixes. It must be your computer and/or the client. Can't POSSIBLY be related to the mounted combat fixes that were only fixes because they changed the way and speed at which things rendered to 'smooth' out mounted combat. :P
    I can confirm it is NOT on the computer side.

I play on two servers. I have several toons on Riddermark, which is a lower population server. I never have any graphics problems.
    I also have a few toons on Meneldor, which is a higher population server. On this server, I see whole buildings not loading, e.g. the ruins along the path from Bree to the Brandywine river, they sometimes never load at all and I have to "feel" my way around them to get to the brigands I want to kill with my level 18 toon.

On Riddermark, all of that loads fine, on Meneldor it does not.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on Turbine's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I have the same problem since latest driver update...

So could be the driver or ...: Turbine is out of graphics (due the Shutdown in USA) and they take walls and pieces from elsewhere in Middle Earth to build Helms Deep expansion!

Quote Originally Posted by FromgalTheMinstrel View Post
    GFX drivers don't usually rot and you have to replace them with fresh ones, usually. If they were working fine before, it cannot be that for the same game, in the same machine, they stop working all of sudden.
    No, they don't "rot". But a bug which is lurking in the driver can be exposed when the game client is changed in some manner. If that happens in the very latest driver (as seems to be the case for some people), the game company will have little choice but to try to code a work-around that will re-hide the driver defect. But if it's happening only in some older OEM drivers, they may not do so. If it's only a very few out-of-date OEM drivers, it's unlikely that they will.

Or... it can be a defect in the client, which should show up much more generally across drivers. In that case, they definitely need to fix it.

Khafar

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast