We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LM MoNF - insecurity, playstyle, rotation, legacies...

Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding the DPS-tree of the LM.

I can't decide. Runekeeper or Loremaster, Loremaster or Runekeeper...

I like the style of the LM much more. Staff, sword, animals, "Gandalf"-like, I like the skill and trait names and I like the background. But I can't get that into the LM as I wish I would.

How should I say... I would like to go "pew-pew" with the LM. Sure, in groups I would support the best way I am able to, but most of the time I would like to throw my embers on enemies, my natural power etc. - so...

Runekeeper got A LOT more skills in this dmg-ways for sure - and that's my concern.

What kind of "rotation" should I use or could I use to be that kind of LM?

Can you explain to me how you play and which legacies you use? I saw there are quite nice legacies for that kind of LM so...

What would you suggest me to do? Go play RK? Try LM, cause it get's better the higher you get? ( I am actually 33 and it's quite... lame and tough, yeah ).

I am a bit afraid of Helms Deep - maybe they cripple the very complex RK ( especially red line which is great but quite difficult to master ) or maybe they make the MoNF LM much more a "caster"... maybe you know and can help me further with it?

I really need your help so yes... thanks!

As things stand a well geared LM can pull out heavy DPS, that rivals a RK's DPS, but that depends whether u r able to be in melee range or not. If u cant stand in melee range ur DPS suffers a lot. Also if u r aftrer heavy DPS on low morale mobs RK will beat LM almost every time. LMs DPS (if not use big CDs) will start to show after 30 secs.

The LIs i use on DPS staff are: Fire Skills Critical Multiplier, Staff Strike Cooldown, Tactical Skills Direct Damage, Burning Embers Initial Damage, Sticky Gourd Direct Damage, Will and i think fate as well or vit.

DPS book: Burning Embers Pulses, Fire Skills Critical Rating, Target Resistance (Damaging Skills), Target Resistance (Fire Skills), Wizard's Fire Pulses, Fire Damage Over Time, and will.

How i play? If possible(AoE and aggro management accounted for) i will begin battle with Staff Swipe, Staff Strike

Now from there u need to account for the number and of mobs u r facing to either use or not use AoE skills. Do not waste AoE skills on single target or 2 targets with low morale. Yes even CE. It has low cd but big induction and the mobs will prolly be dead before u manage to cast a CE.

Oc different rules apply if u r solo or joined a grp as support instead of DPS cause u will need to CC debuff, SI or heal something, in which case u better not focus on DPS at all. Just off dmg dealer.

RK pros. He can burst through single targets pretty fast and on the move(if traited lightning). U can also see those huge numbers of DMG a whole lot more often than with ur LM. Or u can grab a pizza and eat it and just hit ''2''(my ceaseless argument)

Quote Originally Posted by Renjy View Post
    How should I say... I would like to go "pew-pew" with the LM.
    Roll a rune-keeper instead, then.
    Yes, it`s THAT simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithrandir View Post
    As things stand a well geared LM can pull out heavy DPS, that rivals a RK's DPS
    Over 2k DPS on a single target?
    Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

Quote Originally Posted by Olfaran View Post
    I would never compare a RK against a LM on AoE dmg.

I did say a well geared LM. My LM does more DPS on single target(if i am in melee range) than my RK and it starts to show from the 30th or so second. My RK though is not as well geared as my LM (not saying that my RKs gear aint good. just not as good). So if their gear was of the exact same quality their long term DPS would be on par.

Note: There's over 1k DPS sustained from DoT alone, which is hard to account for correctly on dummies as they reset every few secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Olfaran View Post
    Roll a rune-keeper instead, then.
    Yes, it`s THAT simple.
    Can you explain that to me - please?

Pithrandir - thank you VERY MUCH!

Can you explain that to me - please?
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ht=arsonmaster
    Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

DPSing as a loremaster can be fun and useful (some people get quite moral about red-traiting an LM but it's a computer game. We're not studying Voltaire or saving orphans). It does become better as you get higher, with Ents, lightning, Improved Sticky Gourd and so on (33 was around the trickiest as far as I remember).

As you say, Helm's Deep could change any comparison quite lot so maybe concentrate on levelling your LM till then and see? As far as legacies go, I've found

http://ravalation.blogspot.com/2012/...ary-items.html

http://docholidaymmo.com/2011/10/09/...s-in-isengard/

to be useful guides.

I hit 40 yesterday - it's better, it is.

I traited 4 red - 15 sec CD and higher damage is really valuable while soloing. And I like the Sword addition to my arsenal although I don't know what's the real "use" of the sword.

Does it just increase my stats and add an additional attack to staff sweep? Or is there something secret?

Nevertheless I really love the staff+sword combination.

I traited 4 red - 15 sec CD and higher damage is really valuable while soloing. And I like the Sword addition to my arsenal although I don't know what's the real "use" of the sword.

Does it just increase my stats and add an additional attack to staff sweep? Or is there something secret?

It greatly increases your melee damage, and it of course gives you a nice stat boost.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

I didn't mention the white melee attacks ( auto hits ) but for sure with a sword there should be a) more and b) harder hits at least.

Right now with 40, a sword, 4 red traits and quite good equip, LM gets funny. Not comparable to the quite hard times from 25-39...

And it makes your auto-attacks go from meh to impressive. Auto-attacks profit from that boost since auto-attacks yield a significant amount of our total DPS. ALWAYS equip the best sword you can find.