We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Home page: No lottery/characters/kin listing

I'm just back after about a 6 month hiatus. It took a bit to get logged on as my home.lotro bookmark didn't work. Now that I'm here I can find and read the forums just fine (obviously) but when I click on Lottery it shows nothing recent and offers to show me the past lotteries I have won (looks accurate) and I can't at all find where my characters and kin affiliations are listed. I wanted to look at the levels and where my characters are, but I have no list. The old one was a slick as can be. After reading the forums a bit I think the problem must be on my end, not LOTRO. I'm using the newest version of Firefox.

Any suggestions?

Characters and Kinships were part of my.lotro which no longer exists.
    [COLOR=Red][B]TANSTAAFL[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    Characters and Kinships were part of my.lotro which no longer exists.
    Excuse my words, but whose crazy, hair-brained, un-whatever idea was that? Seems like a way for folks to see their characters and even those others would be part of the out of game foundation for any MMO.

The system to pull character data was broken half the time, caused heavy loading on the database, etc, and relatively few people (as a percentage of active players) were even using it. When it came time to decide what to keep through the forum revamp, those didn't make the cut. According to Sapience, it wasn't a close call.

And really, I believe it when they say that a small percentage were using it. When they announced the changes last April, maybe several dozen players complained. When it was actually cut, maybe a couple of dozen did in the first few weeks, with "stragglers" coming here to complain now and again afterwards. That just isn't a heck of a lot. If they were to remove something really beloved by tons of players (let's say they decided custom chat channels were simply more trouble than they were worth, and shut them all down), people would be flocking here by the hundreds to complain about it. Maybe even thousands. People who had never posted at all would come here to give Turbine what for.

Khafar

I would have thought more people were using the character / guild search feature.

Which brings me back to the other question. I have a link on the menu for the lottery but nothing except archive data. They were having problems with it when I stopped playing before. If they are not going to fix it, then why leave in the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyou View Post
    I would have thought more people were using the character / guild search feature.

Which brings me back to the other question. I have a link on the menu for the lottery but nothing except archive data. They were having problems with it when I stopped playing before. If they are not going to fix it, then why leave in the link?
    Originally Turbine was going to remove the lottery but Sapience managed to convince them to keep the Lotto. The new Lotto isn't a regularly scheduled activity like the old Lotto. We only have drawings when there is something special going on. The last Lotto that I saw was a three day Lotto. Turbine was giving a single Helms Deep key to the residents of each server. There were 29 Helms Deep lotteries. One for each server with a single winner for each server.

There are still data export issues. Although Sapience was able to get the lottery implemented in the web site he was not able to get resources to fix the character data exports. Sapience is still struggling on to get the web enabled character data synched with the game servers. Obviously it is not as out of sync as the old character database because it contains a lot less data. I believe it only has character name, race, class, level, perhaps gender, server and account. We apparently have the same issues as before - Character is deleted in game but still in the web database - Character exists in game but does not exist in the web database - Character is higher level in game than what is shown in the web database - web database updates for a particular server will stop manual intervention is required - web database is way behind the game state delayed updates perhaps several days.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

A little late to the party (I mean post), but I used the character feature nearly everyday, but I took a hiatus in the spring right before they updated the forums/portal. After that, I find the new home page mostly useless. I used the Character section to see what each character had as far as armor, weapons and jewelry, and used that to determine my crafting needs and which character to log in each time. Without that, and with a seldom-seen lottery, I find there is little reason to log into the portal at all. I'm not a forum addict, and the new forum layout for some reason annoys me, so I log characters occasionally to get a few hobbit presents, and wonder if the trait changes will revitalize my interest or drive me further away.

When I first started playing, my logins and transitions within buildings were so fast, I couldn't read all of the tips. My system is good, but not high-end, and the auto-detect on graphics regularly set me at the highest level. As each new update slowed my system down further and further, I was still able to play the game consistently at the 2nd highest level, except in the Moors.The spring update forced me to switch from High Graphics to the lowest graphic setting for PvE (and no way am I going to try PvM now - I struggled with it on low settings back then, so now I doubt I could even one-on-one without lagging.). After playing almost two years on higher settings, the world now looks horrible. Hard to get excited about LotRO anymore, but I haven't given up completely.

Angry Again on kin/character look up

I present two reasons to have the character/kin database back running.

The other day a player in our private chat was throughly upset. He had mailed someone the materials needed to make a level 95 second age weapon and some gold as a service fee. The player kept it without preforming the crafting requested, and then apparently blocked him. No sending it back saying he couldn't do the work, no notification that he never received it, no time-line for completion, nothing. Someone told him to look up the kin leader, there was no resource. There was nobody from that kin at all except the person he sent the materials to. He filed a help request and was told that Turbine does not help with problems of that sort. What? So the person was out gold, emerald shard, and other components. The recipient got all the makings for a level 95 second age and latte money besides. Since Turbine doesn't deal with in game player disputes, we could have done at least SOMETHING by contacting this scammer's kin leader or even seeing if there was a responsible person in that kin. For all we know the accused WAS the kin leader.

Less traumatic:

The other day I wanted to see just how many characters I had created and not really played across the servers. With the old system, I could look them up. Any suggestions now?

I present two reasons to have the character/kin database back running.

The other day a player in our private chat was throughly upset. He had mailed someone the materials needed to make a level 95 second age weapon and some gold as a service fee. The player kept it without preforming the crafting requested, and then apparently blocked him. No sending it back saying he couldn't do the work, no notification that he never received it, no time-line for completion, nothing. Someone told him to look up the kin leader, there was no resource. There was nobody from that kin at all except the person he sent the materials to. He filed a help request and was told that Turbine does not help with problems of that sort. What? So the person was out gold, emerald shard, and other components. The recipient got all the makings for a level 95 second age and latte money besides. Since Turbine doesn't deal with in game player disputes, we could have done at least SOMETHING by contacting this scammer's kin leader or even seeing if there was a responsible person in that kin. For all we know the accused WAS the kin leader.

Less traumatic:

The other day I wanted to see just how many characters I had created and not really played across the servers. With the old system, I could look them up. Any suggestions now?
    Sorry to hear your friend got ripped off. I hate people who pull a sorry trick like that.

You can search in the social panel using the kinship name to see if there are any others in that kin. Can also google the kin name plus LOTRO to see if they have a kin website or any postings in the server forums here (google is better than forum search for this).

Only other suggestion I can make is for your friend to have private conversations with officers from a few of the large kinships on your server. Kin names you see often. Use social panel search to find online count to guesstimate size. Be polite. Explain that you got ripped off by an individual and you just wanted to let some of the big kins know so that they could warn their members about him. Just a few private conversations is enough for word to get out.

Related to your earlier posts...

If and when the lotteries return, save a copy of the lottery page listing all your characters and servers. It will age out of date over time, but it's still a list of servers, names, and classes for future reference.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

Try this page:
    https://www.lotro.com/en/character_copy
    to get a list. The page not be available at all times.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.