We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Helms Deep

Helms Deep

Its me again!. I'm having a blast in the game and I have one more question for you guys!

The Pre-order Helms Deep package! Should a New player buy it? Along with that, whats it going to take for me 2 play helms deep, I know quest packs & expansions But I was hoping someone could give me a list, and any other things?

But yea $70 for some sick armor & mount (Seen them few days ago) Some extra stuff & The expansion of course. It sounds like a good deal 2 me & I want to support the game on my next few pay checks. But Is it realistic? Considering I have like 70 levels top go with still a Free-2Play account?

The armour is nice, but is it worth $70? I dunno. You have a long way to go before you would be able to get into HD (cap is currently 85, so I would suspect you need to be 75/80 to get there via stable or ports), meanwhile; you will most likely need to buy some quest packs or other expansions to level your character (you can lvl it F2P but as far as I know, it gets very slow after you get to around level 30 or so since all you have is the epic and skirms). That being said, one feature in HD is this new 'Big Battles' (see q1 - q4), which they have said any HD purchaser can participate in, so that maybe something to consider when deciding.

Personally (& I hate to say this) I wouldn't buy it, at your level, but instead spend money on the Eriador quest pack. HD will be there when you get to the appropriate level.

To clarify on the previous post:

If you own the Helm's Deep Expansion, your characters will be able to participate in "Big Battles" once they reach level 10. You will be scaled up to level 95 to particiapte in them (Only in terms of stats etc - you dont magically have access to all skills for your class). So you can join in the fun with kinmates or friends.

But yes, it will be a long while until you are in the western rohan landscape or do the associated epic books (Since it's for Lv85-95).

As for the other pre-order fluff:
    • Legendary Item related things you will need to be at least Lv45+ to utilise, since they come into play with the moria level range (Although most of these goodies are best to keep until you're at the level cap, and use on those legendary items)
    • The steed you will either need to purchase the riding skill in the LOTRO Store (95TP) from Lv5+, or if you are a VIP player, you can instead wait until Lv20 and do a free quest at Hengstacer Farm in Bree-land to acquire the riding skill. If You go for the premium edition, you can't utilise the war-steed cosmetics (identical to the regular steed) until you get a warsteed at L75 or so.

So without knowing your situation, what levels you're at etc, then besides the cosmetics & steed, You're pretty much just getting the Big Battles system until you are Lv85 or so and ready to do the landscape content.

Whether that makes it worth getting now or later, only you can decide. But of course: Those Pre-order bonuses only come with the expansion until the release date (Nov 18th)

Hope that helps
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Brya View Post
    If you own the Helm's Deep Expansion, your characters will be able to participate in "Big Battles" once they reach level 10. You will be scaled up to level 95 to particiapte in them (Only in terms of stats etc - you dont magically have access to all skills for your class). So you can join in the fun with kinmates or friends.
    I've been wondering about this.....

My main acct is ViP and has all expansions (including HD) and I have explored ALL of the game at least once on my ViP toons, but I also have 2 F2P accts that are soon going to be needing expansions added to them for toons to progress past current levels.
    Is it going to be worth buying anything for these F2P accts except HD??

My reasoning is:
    1. Many people currently use instances to level up F2P toons during the lvl gaps in the epics, but with the new Big Battles is anyone going to be running old instances anymore. (Given that we already know that Big Battles will introduce a new Skirm Currency).
    2. HD purchase is going to be required anyway to progress past lvl85. Even the new Epics are going to require HD purchase.

Thanks for the info guys, And I think im gonna hold off. Maybe go ViP for awhile while leveling.

In reference to the f2p accts

https://store.lotro.com/en/special-o...tpacks-bundle/

might want to consider taking advantage of the all quest package. I'm not gonna debate if it's worth the money or not. That's for any individual to decide.

If Holding off on HD as a new player it's also a possible substitute instead of going VIP if you aren't ready.

Either way I just wanted to show a possible alternative if you wanted to wait on the HD as a new player and also a f2p account.
    [URL=http://lunapic.com>][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vmIrhQu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I wouldn't purchase the expansion unless you are in the 65-85 lvl range. If you are below that, than I would wait until you are higher lvl if I were you. Just don't worry about buying the expansion if you are below 65 and enjoy the content you've got already. No need to rush, you'll get there someday and Helm's Deep will be available for purchase when you get up there.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    I would have to vote against most people and say yes, it's worth it...

Access to Epic Battles from lvl 10? Pro.
    Awesome Horse with War-steed Appearance for when you get there? Pro.
    Some legendary item stuff that way you can crush at the level cap? Pro.
    Epic titles? Pro.
    Nice looking cosmetics? On the list! Pro!
    Extra Quest Log Slots? Good for questing! Pro!
    A nice "Cloak" that scales to your level and provides a 25% XP bonus to everything while leveling? I'd REALLY go for this is I were you!
    ****2000 Turbine Points for the store as well! What a deal! $40 Expansion AND $20 Turbine Points!!! All in one!!****
    Anyways, just my opinion.

Enjoy yourself, and see you in LoTRO!
    Glorgnorbor
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by HavenRain View Post
    But yea $70 for some sick armor & mount (Seen them few days ago) Some extra stuff & The expansion of course. It sounds like a good deal 2 me & I want to support the game on my next few pay checks. But Is it realistic? Considering I have like 70 levels top go with still a Free-2Play account?
    One reason to pre-order Helm's Deep is because you can purchase the Quad Pack for half price as an add-on. So if you want to get all the expansions (assuming you don't have them yet), this is a good way to do it. Now, that might not be a particularly COMPELLING reason but it's something.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    I would have to vote against most people and say yes, it's worth it...

Access to Epic Battles from lvl 10? Pro.
    Awesome Horse with War-steed Appearance for when you get there? Pro.
    Some legendary item stuff that way you can crush at the level cap? Pro.
    Epic titles? Pro.
    Nice looking cosmetics? On the list! Pro!
    Extra Quest Log Slots? Good for questing! Pro!
    A nice "Cloak" that scales to your level and provides a 25% XP bonus to everything while leveling? I'd REALLY go for this is I were you!
    ****2000 Turbine Points for the store as well! What a deal! $40 Expansion AND $20 Turbine Points!!! All in one!!****
    Anyways, just my opinion.

Enjoy yourself, and see you in LoTRO!
    Glorgnorbor
    I agree with everything here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grapold View Post
    I've been wondering about this.....

My main acct is ViP and has all expansions (including HD) and I have explored ALL of the game at least once on my ViP toons, but I also have 2 F2P accts that are soon going to be needing expansions added to them for toons to progress past current levels.
    Is it going to be worth buying anything for these F2P accts except HD??

My reasoning is:
    1. Many people currently use instances to level up F2P toons during the lvl gaps in the epics, but with the new Big Battles is anyone going to be running old instances anymore. (Given that we already know that Big Battles will introduce a new Skirm Currency).
    2. HD purchase is going to be required anyway to progress past lvl85. Even the new Epics are going to require HD purchase.
    I think you already understand this, but I'll chip in anway, just in case, or for anyone else reading:

You don't NEED any specific expansion to level past/thorugh its level range. You are not "hard capped" so to speak. But It will probably be boring as hell leveling through those levels limited to mostly skirmishes or scaled instances.

Yes, people will still run other content types.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

I think the point I'm trying to make here is...

With Helms Deep content being available from level 10, and (I'm guessing) the majority of players wanting to play Helms Deep - is this going to create a LOTRO 2.0 kind of thing?

Will older content only be played by either people who already own it, or the Tolkien/Game fans?

The game world is massive and well worth exploring, some of the older content, quests and instances still remain some of the best in the game, but with new advertising for HD (I've seen very little advertising for previous expansions), are (new) players going to be attracted to the rest of the game?

People are already complaining that some of the starter areas are empty of players, older content isn't played any more, it's difficult to form instance groups below lvl cap etc.
    Opening up HD content at level 10 isn't really going to much to help this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Brya View Post
    You don't NEED any specific expansion to level past/thorugh its level range. You are not "hard capped" so to speak. But It will probably be boring as hell leveling through those levels limited to mostly skirmishes or scaled instances.
    And crafting.