We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    8,306

    advice about removing player not very active

    hey stoners, need your advice about something.

    Assume you're in a guild or tribe that only has a few people in it. You don't have any rules or anything, it's very informal. But to be effective you need everyone to be active at least a few times a day. Bear with me here and assume this degree of activity is normal.

    You have one person in the group who is not very active and sometimes has a full day of inactivity.

    What would you say if you wanted to boot the person? How would you do it nicely knowing you would be running into the person in the future?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    hey stoners, need your advice about something.

    Assume you're in a guild or tribe that only has a few people in it. You don't have any rules or anything, it's very informal. But to be effective you need everyone to be active at least a few times a day. Bear with me here and assume this degree of activity is normal.

    You have one person in the group who is not very active and sometimes has a full day of inactivity.

    What would you say if you wanted to boot the person? How would you do it nicely knowing you would be running into the person in the future?
    Hm, sounds like my divorce.

    J/K - he was way less active than that.

    If you want to stay friendly, I think you have to have a conversation with the person and not in a message/email. Let them make their case but then explain that this is the decision that you've made and you wish them well. Think how you'd want to be booted. My two cents.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffa500]Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (finally!) BA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Clarysta [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#ee82ee]- Lvl 100 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4[/COLOR]
    [I]Twitter - @clarystainsun[/I]
    [/CENTER]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land,Texas
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    What would you say if you wanted to boot the person? How would you do it nicely knowing you would be running into the person in the future?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000003b1b0/01000/signature.png]Quttidebachi[/charsig]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    8,306
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it, although I don't think I'll take Q's advice.

    I figured out a way to be honest but to pin "blame" on myself. I'll just dissolve the group, saying this frees up people to do whatever they want whenever they want, and I'll re-form later. lol

    In other words, I'm taking the easy way out because I have no balls.

    And C, there's no voice in the thing I'm referring to, so it would have to be done via messages. It would be weird to do it that way, you are correct, but considering there's no voice in the game it would be even weirder to say, "Hey, connect to this voice server so we can talk." Creepy! (unless he's got a hot accent)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    963
    [QUOTE=elderlygamer;6943519]
    You don't have any rules or anything, it's very informal. But to be effective you need everyone to be active at least a few times a day.

    You have one person in the group who is not very active and sometimes has a full day of inactivity[QUOTE]

    ………………………… …………informal....lol a day of inactivity is not normal and reason to disband or kick out ???? lol there so many things in RL alone that could make your informal requirements to almost never be achievable....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it, although I don't think I'll take Q's advice.

    I figured out a way to be honest but to pin "blame" on myself. I'll just dissolve the group, saying this frees up people to do whatever they want whenever they want, and I'll re-form later. lol

    In other words, I'm taking the easy way out because I have no balls.

    And C, there's no voice in the thing I'm referring to, so it would have to be done via messages. It would be weird to do it that way, you are correct, but considering there's no voice in the game it would be even weirder to say, "Hey, connect to this voice server so we can talk." Creepy! (unless he's got a hot accent)
    Well, if he has a hot accent, you should definitely disband and send him over talk to me!
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffa500]Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (finally!) BA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Clarysta [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#ee82ee]- Lvl 100 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4[/COLOR]
    [I]Twitter - @clarystainsun[/I]
    [/CENTER]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    8,306
    [QUOTE=MithrilMinded;6943855]
    Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    ………………………… …………informal....lol a day of inactivity is not normal and reason to disband or kick out ???? lol there so many things in RL alone that could make your informal requirements to almost never be achievable....
    There's been a history of inactivity. One can be "active" with just one or two minutes a day a few times a day. I'm on the john longer than that. Not being active on any given day can end the game for dozens of people, which is one reason why activity level is important.

    To try to relate this to lotro, imagine if you were with a full raid of other people. Each person was doing specific things within that raid. You spent 5 days preparing up to this point. You have one, and only one, chance to beat a boss on the 5th day of your preparations. One person in your group is responsible for bringing a whatchamacallit to the raid. The 23 other people are there and the boss fight is about to start. The 24th person doesn't show up, and you needed the whatchamacallit that only this person had. Your group of 23 wipes and you have to start your preparations all over again. 5 days of prep time are gone. Would you want someone in your group who sometimes didn't show up?

    If you were familiar with what I'm referring to, you'd understand completely, but since you aren't, I don't expect you to understand, but thanks for your comments regardless.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkerinthemist View Post
    Well, if he has a hot accent, you should definitely disband and send him over talk to me!
    No, that would not happen.
    Last edited by elderlygamer; Oct 01 2013 at 11:57 PM.

  8. #8
    It's simple. If you need everybody to be active "a few times a day", then you need to set up some rules stating just that. If you have no rules, then you also have no rights to place demands like that on anybody's time. If you still insist on this unrealistic, often unachievable (non-)requirement, and he is unable to comply, then just drop him. You'll be doing him a favour in not having to deal with your non-existent rules anymore.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    8,306
    and I'll do you a huge favor by letting you know you don't need to waste any more of your time replying. issue has been resolved.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA, Frisco
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    and I'll do you a huge favor by letting you know you don't need to waste any more of your time replying. issue has been resolved.
    No one said kill him.... why?? why did you???

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload