We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Developer Diary : Rune-keeper Class Changes in Helm’s Deep

Greetings, fellow Runekeepers! Working on this class turned out being a tough nut to crack. The Rune-keeper was built to be a good healer and good damage dealer at the same time by swinging from one end to the attunement bar to the other. When we started, we felt it was very important that the swing remain intact. Being able to be a damage dealer and then swing to provide backup healing was our number one priority and so the trees were built in such a way to encourage this play, while making you great at one at the same time.

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/article...E2%80%99s-deep

I dont get how you can switch from DPS to healing mid fight, since you will not have access to the healing skills that are locked in the Benediction of Peace line.

Also who is naming skills these days, first we get "Sic 'em", and now "Bombastic Inspiration"

So, what I'm getting from this as an RK player:

1. Attunement is different.
    2. Nothing else has changed significantly, other than tying a lot of skills that were generally available pre-HD to traits once HD is released.

Is there something else I was supposed to get from this? This is honestly kind of a non-update or, if it's an accurate representation of what to look forward to, somewhat of a disappointment.

The only new things that were announced here are in the Benediction of Peace line and, while they're good, it didn't particularly give anything enlightening about Solitary Thunder or Cleansing Flame, save that I don't need 9 BA to use Epic Conclusion and that basic skills that used to be given at early levels, like Ceaseless Argument, are now trait-gated. I'm not sure why you'd trait-gate CA, really, but the bottom line is that this didn't really include anything exciting to draw me in.

Quote Originally Posted by sapience View Post
    greetings, fellow runekeepers! Working on this class turned out being a tough nut to crack. The rune-keeper was built to be a good healer and good damage dealer at the same time by swinging from one end to the attunement bar to the other. When we started, we felt it was very important that the swing remain intact. being able to be a damage dealer and then swing to provide backup healing was our number one priority and so the trees were built in such a way to encourage this play, while making you great at one at the same time.

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/article...e2%80%99s-deep
    Can't believe I had to wait 8 Dev-Diaries for this
    Last edited by Gottapee; Oct 01 2013 at 06:11 PM.

Whoops! Someone forgot to edit out the actual info from this Developer Promo. (An explanation of a change, color me shocked, I'd almost given up on bothering to even read these things.)

(Seriously, can we go back and have a proper Burglar diary now, and Captain, and ...?)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

From this I get a few things of interest:

# Runekeeper skills are available for use at any level of attunement.
    It sounds like they made this change because more skills are gated in the trees i.e. less total amount of skills to be used. They needed this change to combat this. Also it makes the class a little easier to play while keeping the difficulty for those who want to max out the output of their cashout skills. I think if the diminishing returns accompanied with for example doing a damage attack while healing attuned is big enough then this can be a change I can cope with because it won't simplify the class.

# "Attunement felt slow and clunky"
    I have always been able to switch from 9 healing to 9 battle reasonably fast. If I would be able to switch faster it would be a more simple class to play; with more arbitrary decisions because "whatever I do wrong right now won't matter so much because I can fix my attunement fast anyway". On the other hand if I have more skill options available at any given time that ought to add to the class' complexity albeit in a way im not used to. Right now it feels reasonable that I need to be at 9 damage attunement to do a really strong skill. It feels rewarding when I use it because I have worked to get 9 attunement. This feel will be gone with the new system unless they incorporate some clever system that gives away the potency of a skill at any attunement level in a clear way. Not only changing the damage numbers in the skill tooltip but altering for example the animation or skill icon or in any other way that is letting me know the potency of the skill more readily depending on attunement level.

# More focus on a single role due to the new tree structure
    Yes! Now we possibly don't need to worry about switching attunement level at all because if we are deep in one tree our healing will suck anyway. This means that the whole attunement system is wasted because I will stay at 9 damage or healing even more. But if we indeed find reason to swap attunement it will be the "oh mighty tree" structure layout that will decide if I will be a single role "click to win" character or something really interesting.

It comes down to how things are implemented that the diary does not tell us wether this class will improve.
    Last edited by Andala_Kanthos; Oct 01 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Attunement sounds like it works more like a two-ended Fervour/Focus bar than before. 'With the new changes, Words of Exaltation can be used at any level of healing attunement and the duration of the bubble is increased by the number of healing attunement that is *consumed* when used.'

I am not thrilled with the idea of using a healing skill and dropping to neutral attunement. What does this remind me of most? Hmm. Codas, maybe?
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

Quote Originally Posted by Serisan View Post
    The only new things that were announced here are in the Benediction of Peace line and, while they're good, it didn't particularly give anything enlightening about Solitary Thunder or Cleansing Flame, save that I don't need 9 BA to use Epic Conclusion and that basic skills that used to be given at early levels, like Ceaseless Argument, are now trait-gated. I'm not sure why you'd trait-gate CA, really, but the bottom line is that this didn't really include anything exciting to draw me in.
    I don't know about you, but the dev diary did suggest we're getting a slew of new Runestones, depending on how we trait.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Quote Originally Posted by Belnavar View Post
    I don't know about you, but the dev diary did suggest we're getting a slew of new Runestones, depending on how we trait.

-Bel
    A few, at least. It seems like, as stated elsewhere, an attempt to tread safe ground of the WoW Shaman class.

Not a lot of action here, IMO, compared to the clear delineation of new content in Burg, Hunter, etc. via the trait trees. We know from experience that trait trees, by nature, contain a significant amount of passive augmentation. How much of that was mentioned in this DD?

We have a core mechanic changing with the Attunement shift. That was the real story of the DD. I'm not sure how that will play out in actual play because I have not tried it, so I'm ambivalent to that. At least we were told.

At this point, however, I'm dangerously close to losing all interest in the game. The strong likelihood is that, if the Warden DD is similarly non-informative, I'll be saving my cash. I'm not invested in the lore of Middle Earth, nor have I ever been. I started playing because of a friend, spent a fair amount of cash on the game (you're welcome, Turbine), and have found that the content I would have enjoyed most was at the end of RoI. Unfortunately, I came in 3 months before RoR.

Pokemon X and Y come out in 10 days. The pre-release content has been stunning for months, in part because there's a major change in going to 3D. There have been constant streams of videos, interviews, etc. Maybe if I saw the same sort of thing from Turbine, I could be convinced. A 1.5 minute video release showing beta gameplay and containing less text would have conveyed more of what is intended. Yes, it would have been difficult to put together and required effort, but that's what convinces fence-sitters like me.

Quote Originally Posted by cossieuk View Post
    I dont get how you can switch from DPS to healing mid fight, since you will not have access to the healing skills that are locked in the Benediction of Peace line.
    Presumably there will still be some healing skills available initially, with others accessible early in the BoP line.

Quote Originally Posted by cossieuk View Post
    Also who is naming skills these days, first we get "Sic 'em", and now "Bombastic Inspiration"
    Actually, I like this name and think it is in-keeping with the names of other RK skills.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Soloing as this line means you will have tons of survivability, but you might want to pick up damage traits from the other lines to speed up your fights. For example, investing into Solitary Thunder will give you immediate access to Ceaseless Argument; a single target instant cast lightning attack. Investing further will even grant you a runestone the Rune-keeper place at range that deals damage and stuns any enemy around it after a few seconds.
    Ceaseless argument is no longer a base skill? So I now have to pay for a skill that I've been using since what... level 6? Hmm...

Whoa.. wait. A damage dealing runestone that stuns? Now where have I seen one of those before? Oh yea, that's right. In the game I don't play anymore because they ruined it.

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like WoW Shaman totems to me. Have I ever mentioned that I hated Shamans when I played WoW. Loathed beyond all logical explanation even?

I can't help but feel you've turned my highest level character into a Dwarf Shammy. If I wanted a Dwarf Shammy, I'd be paying Blizzard and buying THEIR expansions instead. Bad devs! No soup for you!
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

It seems to me that all anyone wants to do is b**** and complain about things before they even show up. People asked for some kind of idea as to what the classes will be like in HD. The devs are at least nice enough to give some kind of feedback, and all you want to do is fuss about things.

Grow up !!!!!!!!!

If you are so unsatisfied with how things are being done or about how things may come out, you can always leave. No one is holding you here against your will.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmanthief View Post
    It seems to me that all anyone wants to do is b**** and complain about things before they even show up. People asked for some kind of idea as to what the classes will be like in HD. The devs are at least nice enough to give some kind of feedback, and all you want to do is fuss about things.

Grow up !!!!!!!!!

If you are so unsatisfied with how things are being done or about how things may come out, you can always leave. No one is holding you here against your will.
    Representing that Government baby