We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about Points

They points that can be bought with real money: Can they be obtained via. game? Can you buy everything with just playing or do you have to spend real money? What should i buy first with points (what is the most important thing to buy 1st)?
    Thank you for answers.

It depends on how and why you are playing.

You do not need to buy anything. Check out the game and find out what you want to do and where you want to be, no rush!
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000127880/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

To add to the previous answer, there is technically nothing you need to buy to play the game, but around about level 30 you'll find yourself with a terrible grind to cap unless you drop some points. And even if you did get to cap, you'd find yourself with nothing much to do.

Fortunately, Turbine is more than forgiving in that department. You earn points in game via deeds, and - in the early areas especially - you'll find yourself completing them without too much bother. If you're strapped for points, spending money is certainly the quickest way - but you'll have enough deeds open to you to earn a decent amount provided you put the time to do them. Others have created guides, and I'm sure someone will post you the link to one shortly.

Have fun, and as a new player take the time to explore the world rather than rushing to the cap. The journey will take longer, but you'll be glad of the time spent.

Yes, you can buy everything except PvMP access with points you earn by playing the game. But it will be a major grind. It can only be done if you use disposable characters whose only purpose is to earn you more points.

There is a deed log in the game which shows the deeds each of your characters is working on. (Deeds are separate from quests, but similar in character.) You can access it buy holding shift and pressing L or by clicking the little book icon in the left section of your on-screen menu bar. On the left-hand page of the deed log you can select a deed and the right-hand page will tell you what you need to do finish the deed and what rewards you will get for it. Almost every deed will also award you some free Turbine Points (TP), typically 5 or 10 TP, but in some cases up to 20.
    All TP you earn goes into the same pool. The TP you earn on one server with a disposable grinder character can be spent with your main character on a different server.

Probably the most important thing to buy for a new player are quest packs. These will give you access to more quests and also to more deeds. Quest packs represent the content of specific regions. For a minimum investment in TP I would recommend buying Evendim (level 30 to 40), Misty Mountains (level 38 to 45, some people don't like this quest pack, but for me it ties well with the Epic or main quest in that level range) and Eregion (level 45 to 52). After that you'll need access to Moria (level 50 to 60, but if you feel daring you can start this at level 47 and skip Eregion). After that, I cannot really reccommand anything because I'm less experienced with the higher-level content.
    Another important purchase are additional inventory bags which will allow you to gather more stuff while questing which you can use or sell. Once you buy an inventory bag ALL your characters will be able to use that bag, even the ones you'll only create in the future.

Individual vault storage can be bought in-game for silver for the most part, don't buy this for TP unless you really need those last few dozen slots.

One thing I think you should consider is the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack. https://store.lotro.com/en/special-o...erpack-bundle/ It will cost you about 10$ real money, but I think it is well worth that money, especially if you plan to play more than one character. This pack will give you the fourth inventory pack and allow you to have much more money than a F2P character could have. It will also give you a mount for all your characters and the passive skill you'll need to ride it.
    Buying the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack (or anything else that you spend real money on) will also promote your account to Premium status which comes with its own set of benefits. You'll get an additional character slot on each server and the ability to post items in the Auction Hall. You'll also be able to give in-game money to other characters or send it per mail, something which F2P cannot do.

Thank you very much for all your answers. I'm glad to hear that i can unlock everything just by playnig. And i guess i'll buy the quest packs and the riding skill with TP. But i really can't buy the RL money pack. :/ Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Merenthus View Post
    Thank you very much for all your answers. I'm glad to hear that i can unlock everything just by playnig. And i guess i'll buy the quest packs and the riding skill with TP. But i really can't buy the RL money pack. :/ Thanks again!
    Not all, but 99%. There are three things that TP earned ingame wont unlock - Premium status and associated ability to send money to others by trade/mail, Swift travel options other that between starter locations, and playing in Ettenmoors as a Free People. All other things are obtainable ingame, with more or less work. Mostly more.

There are some TP you will earn easily, and there there is TP grinding guides, with instructions how to earn ~90Tp per hour playing (with best optimized routes/characters etc). But all these mean you will repeat same old same tired things again and again and again. I'd suggest not to concentate on grinding from the beginning. Enjoy free content, make friends, explore and travel. Afterwards, when your main will close on the level 30 and LoneLands will be finishing, then you will need to make some decisions.

For most things, enjoy the game and dont let the TP grind kill all fun.
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Yeah i was just thinking of doing that Tho the bag space would be very nice since i got those gift boxes at lvl 5 and now i'm 7 and my inv is pretty full od those things Thanks again and yes i'll just enjoy the game

For inventory troubles, i'd sufggest You seek out the Vault keepers.

Depending on your character's race, it may be inside Thorin's hall ( dwarves), in pavillion up from Crafting terrace in Celondim (elves), in center of Michel Delwing, near mayor Flourdumpling (hobbits) , or if you play human, then you have to run to Bree town first from Archet/Combe area, and either find Auction hall, Crafting hall or Vault in Bree town (all three has Vault access). Maps will help you find them easier.

You get 30 spots free, and for 75 silver can get extra 15 slots. Next 15 will ask for ~800 silvers, and further advancement will be forbidden for F2P, unless you unlock currency cap - as its will be 2,5 golds for next 15 and even more after that. Max is 120 slots, with 5 gold for last few. Afterwards, you can buy more with TP up to 195 slots, though it is cost-prohibitive. Most people just create another char for keeping stuff, even if they need buy charslot for that.

Ohh thanks alot for that info btw. i wouldn't like to open new topic so i'll just ask here: What items should i save? And where can i get items for my proffesions? I have metalsmith and prospectiong and something else.. btw. I'm Guardian dwarf. Thanks again

Ohh thanks alot for that info btw. i wouldn't like to open new topic so i'll just ask here: What items should i save?
    Depends

Really, you could save these "rep acceleration" and "craft acceleration" tomes, for a later use in Lonelands, when slayer deeds get bigger and more tiresome. The potions - i would use these in emergencies, and meanwhile use the athelas potions mostly first, as athelas can be found ingame, and purchased from vendors. But these store potions from boxes will stacj with athelas and food regeneration, giving you jsut that extra boost to pull thry hard fights, when you had accidentally angered more enemies that you can handle. But dont hold into them too long, as the morale bar will grow fast, adn soon +100 will be a pittance to recover.

Stuff like extra morale, extra attack/defence - at level 20 you will begin skirmishing, and then these may come handy. Before that, its rarely useful to spend these boosts while doing ordinary quests.

The swift travel unlock - a terrific thing, and when you go open it you should try get to as many stables and "unlock" them as possible.

Free horse 24h - unfortunately, timer will count down even if you are logged off. So open it when you are ready for a lot of exploration and have several hours of playing ahead, to enjoy riding while you can. Afterwards, you will need spend 95TP to buy riding skill from Store, to regain riding, but thats a thing that you will want. Running everywhere gets tiresome. Though we oldtimers did do that until level 35, when at last we could try earn the first horse and riding skill

At level 15, you will get some free decoration for your home, when you buy it.

And where can i get items for my proffesions? I have metalsmith and prospectiong and something else.. btw. I'm Guardian dwarf. Thanks again
    You should have gained a skill on your taskbar, that looks like a pick. Click on it, and you will see then green dots in your mini-radar, the prospecting nodes - copper and tin. Yiou will also need equip grey-colored 'pick' t be able to 'mine' these nodes. If you dont see this skill, "C" opens a character screen, from there go to "skills" tab and browse for necessery mining skill, and draw it to the quickslots.

To turn mined copper/tim ore into useful stuff, you will need to find smithy. There's one outside in Frerin's court, near stables, and another is inside Thorin's hall, when you go past the statue and then turn right. Smelting makes copper and tin ingots, and combining both makes bronze.

Bronze can then be worked into heavy armour.

Alas, you will be able to wear heavy armour from level 15 earliest.

Thank you very much that was really helpfull I think i'll be walking until 35 aswell ^^ besides i'm not much likely to die since i got a friend Minstrel playing with me Is that a good combo? I wouldn't ask as many questions but this game looks like one that you can screw something up in the beginning and regret it after. So i'm trying to avoid such situations 1 more thing: can talents and traits and those things be reset?

Thank you very much that was really helpfull I think i'll be walking until 35 aswell ^^ besides i'm not much likely to die since i got a friend Minstrel playing with me Is that a good combo? I wouldn't ask as many questions but this game looks like one that you can screw something up in the beginning and regret it after. So i'm trying to avoid such situations 1 more thing: can talents and traits and those things be reset?
    Its just a 95TP, thats not that much, and once you try, you will loath returning to walking/running. I know i sure would. On the other hand, if you ever plan to subscribe for real money, you will then have chance to get riding for free at level 20. So that 95TP will become wasted. Though i remember you said, you do not plan to spend real money...

Guardian+minstrel is a good combination, guard doing the killing and pulling enemy atention to himself, and minstrel keeping guardain alive and joining killing as necessery. Tank+healer is a safe combination.

On the chances to mess things up... No, LotRO has not much of these opportunities. Worst you can do is spend TP unnecesseily, by chance, you buy some cosmetic horse/outfit instead of questpack, that would fit you a way better. But even these can be recovered. There are some nice quest rewards, that may be unobtainable, once you sell them, but you will encounted these at around level 35 earliest...

Right now, we can change traits and virtues freely, only need some silvers and pay a visit to bard NPC. That will change, coming Helms Deep expansion on 18th november, but exact details will be explained in Dev Diaries publiced.

PS. There is one thing that may be bad. You earn some unique 'survival' titles every few levels, if you manage not to get defeated.

The Wary - You have reached 5th level without being defeated in battle.
    The Undefeated - You have reached 10th level without being defeated in battle.
    The Indomitable - You have reached 14th level without being defeated in battle.
    The Unscathed - You have reached 17th level without being defeated in battle.
    The Undying - You have reached 20th level without being defeated in battle.

If you get defeated - by any reasons - even if its a computer chashing while you are in hostile territory - then your title progression stops.

Some people so want these, that they delete the character and start for a new, if defeated before level 20.

Woow you have so much info xD Very nice Thank you very much! i guess 95 isn't alot since it is possible to get 90/hour tho i only have 10 so far i guess i'll try to get to 20 without dying but it shouldn't be hard since i've got Minsterl by my side Thanks again! and if you know any other things that you think i should know please let me know Thanks!

Definitely the riding skill. It was the first purchase I make on any new character. You can get it as soon as you come out of the intro.

How do you mean that you can get it as soon as you get out of intro? i'm lvl 9 and i still don't have 95 TP ( i have like 10)... and if i'll buy Riding skill i won't have enough to buy quests at lvl 30+..

How do you mean that you can get it as soon as you get out of intro? i'm lvl 9 and i still don't have 95 TP ( i have like 10)... and if i'll buy Riding skill i won't have enough to buy quests at lvl 30+..
    You are able to purchase it as soon as you get out of the intro, but you do need to have the 95 points. It will take you a while to get 95 points on your first character, but in the future, if you create a second character you could easily have 95 points to spare when you complete the intro on the second character.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Oh hehe now i understand ^^ i'll probably have to make another char just to farm TP since i don't think i'll get 95TP for riding skill and the TP necessary for the quests at lvl 30+.

My apologies. I didn't realize that you were specifically looking to discuss free turbine points. I was thinking more along the lines of dropping the $8 to get an initial helping of turbine points and using some of that to score the riding skill. Additionally, that would change you from a free to play account to a premium account. Just a thought. I recognize that $8 may or may not be a big deal to you.

By moving to a premium account, you would gain an additional character slot, more than twice the gold limit (5 vs 2), and the ability to sell items in the auction house. I know many people are die-hard F2P and I have no problems with that.

Hehe no problem ^^ Yeah i think i'm one of them die-hard F2P evn tho 8$ doesn't look alot.. but hey i think i'll be able to play the game just as well without paying Thanks for all the help and everything

Some notes:

riding skill is on sale right now (until Oct 2 or so), so you might want to check your TP (I don't think it goes on sale very often, and there is little to buy before level 30 anyway). One catch for f2p types is that while you almost certainly need that horse, you also need a bunch of alts (or at least start a few alts on servers). Having to choose between "playing" and "grinding" characters might get in the way of your fun (this happened to me, only I was using a "prospector mule" that was finding mats for crafting. For awhile I was playing the mule far more than my characters and left lotro for awhile).

If buying TP/other packs is an option, I have found these guides to be ideal in learning how to deal with the zones between free-spending VIP and f2p.

A good place to start about farming TP. Actually, I'd forget about farming TP until you have at least one character at the end of the Lone Lands (where you are wondering how in the world you are supposed to kill these "novices"). This is a game, and the start of it should at least be fun. After that you can decide if you want to pay, grind, or find another game (you will have a hard time finding a better free game than the first 30 levels (unless you are playing DDO through the free "house levels")).

Hehe thanks for the info but even if it is on sale i don't think i'll get enought points to buy it in 1 day. But I'll do my best

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    riding skill is on sale right now
    What is on sale right now is the enhanced riding traits which cost several thousand TP for the account-wide version. While they still include the basic riding skill as well, I don't think this is what the OP is looking for.

The basic riding skill (which sells at 95TP when there is no sale on it) hasn't been on sale for quite some time. So it may be that we will see this at a discounted price soon. In the past they typically had 20% or 25% off on the basic riding skill which would change its price to something like 76 TP or 72 TP, respectively. Running a grinder char through one of the three starter areas will easily earn 100+ TP, so this should be reasonably affordable.

As an aside, OP, there is a quest in the tutorial portion of the game which can only be done exactly once on each server (no matter how many characters you start on that server)and which gives you 10 TP for free. There is a follow-up quest to spend those 10 TP in the Store, but if you ignore that second quest you get to keep the 10 TP. There is 29 servers, so if you roll a disposable character on each of them, you can get yourself 290 free TP with very little work.
    I think an Elf would work best (read: fastest) for this. Just go through the intro portion where you have to defeat 5 enemies (I don't think this can be skipped on a server on which you've never played before) and after you've been ported to the tutorial proper (facing a dwarf called Nos Grimsong) turn to the left and follow the road down the hill. Eventually you'll come to a court with a large dwarf statue in its center and a dwarf with the 10TP-quest standing by the statue, waiting to give you your welcome-goody.

How much time do you need to get thru starting area which gives you 100 TP ?And thanks for the info about those 290 TP i'll do that 1st i think Thanks alot !!!

How much time do you need to get thru starting area which gives you 100 TP ?
    There are three starter areas in the game. All of them can be done on the same character and they all give a bit over 100TP. The starter areas require you to slay less enemies per slayer deed than later areas, so they're where most people go for grinding TP quickly. The three starter areas are the Ered Luin, the Shire and Bree-Land and they're interconnected by swift-travel via stable-horses even for F2P characters. You can use the stables in Celondim, Thorin's Hall, Michel Delving and Bree-Town to move from one starter area to the next quickly.

I usually start out with the Ered Luin area and do the slayer and explorer deeds, but I skip the quest deeds which take too long for my taste. For the Ered Luin I need about an hour and earn pretty exactly 100 TP that way. I usually use a Hunter for this which can kill things quickly and doesn't have to run up to every single mob to start the fight. The Shire takes me a little longer but gives me roughly 120 TP in return and Bree-Land takes longer still but has some nice explorer deeds that bring up the TP count to even more than the Shire offers.

I cannot give you more exact numbers because I don't really pay THAT much attention when I'm TP grinding. It's an activity I use as a kind of fall-back plan when I don't have enough time to do anything sensible in my gaming session, so I tend to split my grinding runs into lots of short bits. A slayer deed here because I can spare ten minutes, an explorer deed there because I was passing close by the locations needed anyway, that style of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    What is on sale right now is the enhanced riding traits which cost several thousand TP for the account-wide version. While they still include the basic riding skill as well, I don't think this is what the OP is looking for.

The basic riding skill (which sells at 95TP when there is no sale on it) hasn't been on sale for quite some time. So it may be that we will see this at a discounted price soon. In the past they typically had 20% or 25% off on the basic riding skill which would change its price to something like 76 TP or 72 TP, respectively. Running a grinder char through one of the three starter areas will easily earn 100+ TP, so this should be reasonably affordable.
    Silly me, I thought it included riding skill (I wanted it on some f2p accounts, but would be too busy to grind before it was over). While the expensive traits they are selling look nice, the cheaper ones should be available in game (eventually), while the most expensive is only a slight boost over whats available in game. More for the player who has everything than anything else (although wildly better than the hobby horse).

Also don't be too surprised if you get 95TP back faster through questing faster (due to a horse) than running around on foot. While this isn't much of a grinding strategy (you can get the first few hundred much faster than is worth buying a horse), it could pay off well in the end. The harder decisions come when you have a few alts running around and you have to choose between mounting them all and something like the gold cap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast