We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MC is awful

Quote Originally Posted by Nuelenion View Post
    I love mounted combat! I play primarily as a Warden, so that might have something to do with it. I've played many many hours of Mount & Blade, which I think prepared me very well for mounted combat in LotRO and I just have a blast with it. Very unique for an MMO, too.

I can understand some people not enjoying it, but remember that your opinions are just that: opinions. No more valid than mine or others. Calling for the removal of a unique and, to many, enjoyable part of the game just because you personally don't enjoy it is more than a bit selfish.
    I don't seem to recall anyone asking for outright removal of it, I'd not fret if I were you in any case. I would like to see it absolutely not required for quest progression in any zones though as in not part of any chains you have to do to continue.
    I continue to work with poor aptly named Loca, bought her some pretties to wear on the store, but she still handles worse than the old 1969 Dart I used to own.

You need to remember Nuelenion that MC is not the type of gameplay many of us ever played, or wanted to, or else we might have played games like that Mount and Blade - to have this tossed at us this late in the game, so to speak is a most unpleasant and unwelcome change to many. I play a hunter, the class has been on foot being a regular hunter for a long time - this change to how I play and what I must do, is not so fun. I am only enjoying the fast speed and the ability to dress it up.
    Last edited by Zoraine; Oct 08 2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

Alexrneb

Join DateSep 2011Posts10

Originally Posted by Nuelenion
    I love mounted combat! I play primarily as a Warden, so that might have something to do with it. I've played many many hours of Mount & Blade, which I think prepared me very well for mounted combat in LotRO and I just have a blast with it. Very unique for an MMO, too.

I can understand some people not enjoying it, but remember that your opinions are just that: opinions. No more valid than mine or others. Calling for the removal of a unique and, to many, enjoyable part of the game just because you personally don't enjoy it is more than a bit selfish.

I. I don't see that even as a possibility that they will remove it so don't worry about that.

I still wish it wasn't there and I for those of you who like it I wish that they would just have a setting so that you could turn it on or off.

1. Yay
    2. You do have an off button. Don't place MC in your skills bar. Much more fun to play with MC though, how does the red, yellow and blue options change the MC experience on a character.

"You can lead a horse to water, you can't...." lol

Cheers

duplicated in error
    Last edited by JRAD65; Oct 08 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRAD65 View Post
    RJFerret

Captain's heralds disappear, captains have massive AoEs with huge range for some magical reason, and since you are essentially invulnerable to MOBs when mounted, you simply ride into an enemy camp, circle around to aggro all the MOBs there, then circle the mass of them repeatedly hitting your AoEs every time they are off CD

Yep, love playing my Captain on my War Steed. His AOE is amazing. Love the sword animation where he jams the sword in, then rips it out. This agros a few more, then you use other AOE to mow them down. Its a giggle.

Also love playing my Burglar. Go into an Orc camp and compel a Troll to be your Ally, then get the troll to bash up on Orcs.. it's cool and a laugh.

Um, is riding the Horsepants the same as riding a real horse?! I have never ridden a real life horse, ridden camels, elephants and motorbikes of all descriptions, rubber dingy's in the back yard pool, speed boats, yachts, inflated tractor tyres in the river, cars, trucks, just not a RL horse, so can't compare but my common sense tells me,

I Don't Think So.

I am afraid I am a little lost on the whole 'it doesn't feel like a real horse' statement that comes up from time to time.

With all due respect...

...So what!

Let me advise you from experience, be grateful it does not ride like a camel - Ranged attack- camel spit in your eye. lol.

As many many peeps from many many threads have stated, unlike horsepants, you need to learn MC.

The learning curve is in no way, steep.

I think of myself as a really bad player in game. I am uncoordinated and learning the finesse of my characters skills is not my main driving force, and yet, I love playing my characters and love experimenting what they do in mounted combat.

My experience with MC has been wonderful, and can only trust that Turbine will be introducing new instances for MC going forward and ensuring MC has all active skills on future landscapes.

It is a great, and to my understanding from people who have played other games, a very unique mechanic.

Cheers
    Well I mean if you enjoy something that does not act the way it should then that's great! Nothing wrong with that. But I personally want my horse to act like a horse.

In all my critisicm of problems in this game I will say they have done a great job considering how old the game is.

Horsepants must be the very antipathy of how horses behave

I agree though, they have done a great job considering hardware limitations.

Cheers.

"several hours" ... looks like he is perfectly competent to judge a new combat system.
    Hunter MC is very simple, just keep riding in circles.

Over teh months I got used to MC and it's not all that bad. In fact it can be quite fun. The only problem is the lag.

Quote Originally Posted by JRAD65 View Post
    Horsepants must be the very antipathy of how horses behave

I agree though, they have done a great job considering hardware limitations.

Cheers.
    We are talking about logic here. It isn't rare to know how a horse turns. Like I said before If you don't mind riding a horse that acts like a boat then that's fine but I personally want my horse to act like a horse not a boat.

I've started pretending I have bald tires, bad brakes and I am driving on an icy road - it's helping a little! I still don't like MC all that much, but she's a good horse and I like her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    I've started pretending I have bald tires, bad brakes and I am driving on an icy road - it's helping a little! I still don't like MC all that much, but she's a good horse and I like her.
    yeah, I usually make the screeching tire sound when I turn lol

Thank goodness there is no face crunching sound from running into buildings and stuff, like the leg crunching sound when you jump down too far

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    LOL, I can relate. My horse has left skid marks all over the Wold.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

Everyone in Rohan bought insurance when we arrived on our steeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrneb View Post
    Everyone in Rohan bought insurance when we arrived on our steeds.
    LOL, that's probably why they're making me do all these talk to their neighbor quests on account of all the property damage and their rates went up. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    LOL, that's probably why they're making me do all these talk to their neighbor quests on account of all the property damage and their rates went up. O.o
    LOL! Yeah this is my third steed. The last two I lost in a lawsuit for damages I had caused in Rohan. You remember that wrecked cart in combe? That was my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrneb View Post
    LOL! Yeah this is my third steed. The last two I lost in a lawsuit for damages I had caused in Rohan. You remember that wrecked cart in combe? That was my fault.
    LOL!

A lawsuit? Oh, no...the Rohirrim and Combe Board of Cart Wreckages, Property Damage, General Mayhem and Inquisitive Inquiry? *gasp*

Yeah, they also outlawed riding while drunk (Don't drink and ride)

You want to know the real reason why the bandits set up the wall and spike trap on the road from archet to combe? It was to keep me out. But they failed. I am also responsible for archet burning. I left the tavern and stumbled onto my horse stirred him forward and I accidently rode into a lamp which fell onto a roof which started the whole thing. How did I get out of that without a lawsuit? I blamed it on the bandits and the nazgul.

That was you that set Archet on fire? Thank goodness. I thought it was me!

"MC is awful"

Yes...yes it is. But so's world hunter and that's never going away either so we just make the best of it!

Try being like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRs_nnhBe4
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by janlyn View Post

Side note: some classes are more fun than others on MC. IMO, best is the captain, worst is the guardian (my guardian is still only 81). Hunter is great, Runekeeper's not so bad either.
    Yes, I really enjoy MC on my LM with a light steed. I was actually surprised at how quickly I was able to manage it - I expected a huge learning curve. Her survivability went up on horseback. She can run in wide circles, blast things, and stay out of harm's way. She's my main and the first to get a warsteed, so I had a good experience with MC right off. I also like how you don't have to get off your horse to do things in Rohan, like mining. And I love the increased speed. I took my warsteed through low level areas on a material run the other evening and found it much less tedious, even with having to dismount to collect.

I got that huge learning curve on my guardian, my next toon in line, with the heavy steed. It took me awhile to even be able to hit things regularly and I actually died more than with my LM. I focused on building up my warsteed's morale and just sat still for some fights. Later I learned how to to battle and move at the same time, but I still found it a lot clunkier than with my LM. I am still learning how to manage this one best, but the challenge has been mostly fun. And I still prefer to fight on my feet with my guardian, but MC is getting better. I haven't dove off a cliff lately. :-)

I did discover that if you can get the mounted mobs to follow you into deep water they will be unhorsed with you and then you can fight them like normal.

Oh, I also woke up the balrog. I was once again riding and accidently wrecked into the pass of caradras which started an avalanche. The ground rumbled for miles round and it woke the balrog. It happened the same moment pippen knocked the dead goblin into the well in moria so they just assumed he woke the balrog.

MC is just painfully bad on a hunter. You can easily do more DPS on foot and have many more skills to work with. The only down side is that you need the mount to hold up to the attacks you receive. A majority of the time, I do mounted instances on foot if I can.

I know I can do the mounted hytbold dalies on foot 50% faster than mounted with a hunter. On my guard, it's just annoying. My captain is the best with MC only because I get more powerful ranged skills whereas trying to run up to something and hit it when it's mounted is impossible.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    LOL, I can relate. My horse has left skid marks all over the Wold.

Are you sure it was the horse leaving those skidmarks? I know that the warpig of mine had me leaving a skidmark now and then...

all in jest.
    Mean what you say and say what you mean! If you don't there are always consequences!

Quote Originally Posted by LaGere View Post
    Are you sure it was the horse leaving those skidmarks? I know that the warpig of mine had me leaving a skidmark now and then...

all in jest.
    Well, actually I didn't want to mention it, but there was a particular favorite pair of breeches my tank was wearing and that approaching warband.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zaranais View Post
    Yes, I really enjoy MC on my LM with a light steed. I was actually surprised at how quickly I was able to manage it - I expected a huge learning curve. Her survivability went up on horseback. She can run in wide circles, blast things, and stay out of harm's way. She's my main and the first to get a warsteed, so I had a good experience with MC right off. I also like how you don't have to get off your horse to do things in Rohan, like mining. And I love the increased speed. I took my warsteed through low level areas on a material run the other evening and found it much less tedious, even with having to dismount to collect.

I got that huge learning curve on my guardian, my next toon in line, with the heavy steed. It took me awhile to even be able to hit things regularly and I actually died more than with my LM. I focused on building up my warsteed's morale and just sat still for some fights. Later I learned how to to battle and move at the same time, but I still found it a lot clunkier than with my LM. I am still learning how to manage this one best, but the challenge has been mostly fun. And I still prefer to fight on my feet with my guardian, but MC is getting better. I haven't dove off a cliff lately. :-)

I did discover that if you can get the mounted mobs to follow you into deep water they will be unhorsed with you and then you can fight them like normal.
    I have a friend with a LM and he seems to do very well in MC. I have improved greatly during MC on my Guardian by using the follow command posted above (/shortcut 1 /follow). All my characters are now level 85 so I think I will just rest for awhile. ZZZzzz.

OK, i'm here. Now I play a captain and up until Rohan I did #### damage, I could not take on 3 mobs by my self(the record I ever took on on level was 6 landscape mobs, when i finally died against the 7th, all my stat tomes were gone, my pots were gone, my last stand and racial 3k heal move on cool down, and my herald dead). I was considering naming him a Craptain, just cuz of his surviveability and damage. Then I crossed the bridge into Rohan and got my war steed, I have had my war steed for 5 days and it is the most hideous war steed on Silverlode, however MY DAMAGE AND SURVIVEABILITY WENT THROUGH THE ROOF. I am in the Wold and I can solo 2 of the 4 war bands there where the warband leader is 15 k and his buddies are 3 k, now I can ride into an easterling camp and solo the 20 mobs there. 2 levels ago and on foot, I would NEVER even get close to that camp and that guy cuz I would not survive it unless I was in a 6 man. I LOVE MOUNTED COMBAT.
    Last edited by c_the_awesome; Oct 24 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast