We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MC is awful

Quote Originally Posted by Magpiefood View Post
    YES! I absolutely LOVE mounted combat! This was the only reason that I even started to play the game in the first place! I saw an add on a gamesite, "LOTRO mounted combat, riders of Rohan" and I instantly installed the game and started from lvl 1. If mounted combat disappears, I'm quitting this game.

People who complain about the warsteed simply aren't skilled enough to control their horse. The turn rate thing, 'sliding', can you imagine trying to kite a mounted enemy with a normal mount? You wouldn't even SEE the enemy because you would be spinning around yourself at high speed. They made it so for a reason. Learn how to play. And remember the warsteed has different speeds; walk -> trot -> canter -> galop. Slow down if you can't handle it.
    I think some players don't see the appeal of kiting all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Per boatness:
    No you shouldn't expect the bunch of horse shaped pixels to behave like a horse if it's programmed to drive like a boat!

Re captainness:
    Captain's heralds disappear, captains have massive AoEs with huge range for some magical reason, and since you are essentially invulnerable to MOBs when mounted, you simply ride into an enemy camp, circle around to aggro all the MOBs there, then circle the mass of them repeatedly hitting your AoEs every time they are off CD. In short order everything is dead, you can complete your quest objectives, and move on to the next area, it's tremendously boring/easy.
    Indeed, I found the captain's steed most useful for the efficient killing of lots of mobs, but the combat is pretty mindless most of the time. On the other hand, I could barely kill anything with my burg's mount. He always ran out of power, did miniscule damage, and couldn't self heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuelenion View Post
    I love mounted combat! I play primarily as a Warden, so that might have something to do with it. I've played many many hours of Mount & Blade, which I think prepared me very well for mounted combat in LotRO and I just have a blast with it. Very unique for an MMO, too.

I can understand some people not enjoying it, but remember that your opinions are just that: opinions. No more valid than mine or others. Calling for the removal of a unique and, to many, enjoyable part of the game just because you personally don't enjoy it is more than a bit selfish.
    I didn't get too far with my warden. The horse would run out of power after defeating 2 normal mobs, so I always needed to retreat and remount to take on the rest of the train. Very tedious. Maybe it gets better.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Logged in just to add my useless opinion:

I don't like mounted combat. I was an opponent of it since I first heard people asking for it prior to any Rohan content.

I can go for a week and not use it at all.

The steering response is horrifying; at first I thought that surely I was doing something wrong.

The war steed is laggy as all get-out, and you might as well forget navigating a town with one.

I have high doubts that any of this will be improved upon, so I'll continue hunting on foot and not bothering with it at all. I just hope they don't continue making instanced quests that practically mandate the use of war steeds. Ick.

Angry

I think the whole MC idea was stupid in the first place, i got my hunter through rohan&now am just getting my mini to it to notice i only have 2 offensive abilities, the rest are all heals, and to say that most of lotro is solo play apart from the odd instance or hard quest, that is ridiculous for a mini who wants to use MC.
    [URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/Connor_Jacob_Longdon/media/download_zps3d1094e8.jpg.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/Connor_Jacob_Longdon/download_zps3d1094e8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by CJLongdon View Post
    I think the whole MC idea was stupid in the first place, i got my hunter through rohan&now am just getting my mini to it to notice i only have 2 offensive abilities, the rest are all heals, and to say that most of lotro is solo play apart from the odd instance or hard quest, that is ridiculous for a mini who wants to use MC.

Change the stance on your mini's war-steed. That will definitely give you more than 2 offensive abilities.
    100Grd 103Min 101Ch 100RK 100Cpt 103Hunt 101Wdn 100Burg 58LM ::Leader of Phoenix Rising, Arkenstone::
    35Grd 35Min 35Ch 37RK 40Hunt 40Wdn ::Founder of The People Person's Paper People, Evernight::

You dps, OP, and Tanks, are just are not thankful for your survivability, damage, and general OPness. To you Huntards be thankful that you can kill a mob before he gets to you. To you Wardens, be glad that you can solo turtle, and survive 30+ on level mobs. And to every other class who hat mounted combat I give this advice, play a cappy as a main and level him to cap, then see if you will appreciate your damage and survivability.

(I know this will probably offend a whole bunch of people, but I have not been I trouble for a long time).

Agree. It is awful. Can't understand how people could possibly enjoy it.

I've multiple level 85's and hate it on all my toons. Yes I use it, yes I've levelled everything up. It sucks.

I can one shot stuff and take out war bands without even getting hit... no challenge as you slide around on the landscape or kite in a circle. Just horrible.

To be honest, I do wish it never happened and I wish it stopped with HD release, but alas, more stupid MC combat. Absolutely great

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    You dps, OP, and Tanks, are just are not thankful for your survivability, damage, and general OPness. To you Huntards be thankful that you can kill a mob before he gets to you. To you Wardens, be glad that you can solo turtle, and survive 30+ on level mobs. And to every other class who hat mounted combat I give this advice, play a cappy as a main and level him to cap, then see if you will appreciate your damage and survivability.

(I know this will probably offend a whole bunch of people, but I have not been I trouble for a long time).
    I have played all classes to mounted combat except RK and Warden (my LM is just 3 levels short of becoming my 7th lvl 85) and from what I have played EVERY class can be super effective in mounted combat. It all depends on how much time you spend on learning which skills work best in which situation and learning what you CANNOT do. Remember that your warsteed skills often change dramatically on what stance you are running (not to mention what type of warsteed you are riding at the moment). There is absolutely no reason you cannot change your stance as needed within a battle (on some toons in certain situations I may change ever few seconds depending on the recharge of a skill). I haven't seen ANY class so far that is weak on a warsteed (and tbh historically any person on a warsteed was a very dangerous adversary indeed!). Perhaps you expect not to like it or that you expect so much to find what you don't like that you are missing out on the benefits.

With that said in all honesty no one thing is going to please EVERY body, and some people more than others seem more difficult to please in anything. <-----this is not directed at the person I quoted, just saying that no one thing pleases everybody

I played only a 85 Guard, with a medium war steed.
    Now the steed is at cap level, with a II age two hand and teal/gold dps gear, I can one-shot most enemies

It takes some time to learn, but I like it now.

Maybe the warbands are too easy, not really raids. See Bugud for example...
    ROR is a bit too easy, really.

Cool

To the "I ride horses, they don't slide..." posters...

I have ridden horses or my entire adult life... and I have never ridden an armored horse...
    You are comparing a light tack outfitted sporting horse to a fully barded war steed!!!

I think the scientific name for doing this is "Numbnuticus"...

My family raised Clydesdale for the brewers... and dad and both uncles used to ride them... I've heard many a story about a 30, 40, 50' turning radius...
    and that's just on a "heavy" horse as opposed to a light sport...

Slap 300 pounds of armor on it!..

Read some actual descriptions of riding, maneuvering, and reversing fully armored horses... They can be found.
    Read some of the crusader stories about how their heavy destriers could completely smash the light arab cavalry... WHEN they could catch them.

And finally to the one who said "what is this auto stop crock?"... I raised a quarter horse stallion and an Arab Mare to the bozel and both were trained to come to a halt when the reins dropped on their neck. Ride a true working horse and see how many are trained that way!!

Yes, I realize some posters actually rode a beater at a dude ranch every summer, and now poser as experts...

I think the designers got a lot more RIGHT than wrong...
    I think the command string should be
    "Defective User... Replace User Y/N?"

Jammer

@Jammermon Do the new forums still have a way to rep? Because your post is spot-on. Nothing worse than someone thinking they're an expert when they're not.
    ----
    Ferradan, Burglar, Landroval
    Ferranhelm, Hunter, Nimrodel
    ----

Mounted Combat is brilliant, provided of course you are playing Mount&Blade and not LotRO.

MC in LotRO is pathetic, boring, repetitive and in most cases bears no relation to the class you are playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jammermon View Post
    To the "I ride horses, they don't slide..." posters...

I have ridden horses or my entire adult life... and I have never ridden an armored horse...
    You are comparing a light tack outfitted sporting horse to a fully barded war steed!!!

I think the scientific name for doing this is "Numbnuticus"...

My family raised Clydesdale for the brewers... and dad and both uncles used to ride them... I've heard many a story about a 30, 40, 50' turning radius...
    and that's just on a "heavy" horse as opposed to a light sport...

Slap 300 pounds of armor on it!..

Read some actual descriptions of riding, maneuvering, and reversing fully armored horses... They can be found.
    Read some of the crusader stories about how their heavy destriers could completely smash the light arab cavalry... WHEN they could catch them.

And finally to the one who said "what is this auto stop crock?"... I raised a quarter horse stallion and an Arab Mare to the bozel and both were trained to come to a halt when the reins dropped on their neck. Ride a true working horse and see how many are trained that way!!

Yes, I realize some posters actually rode a beater at a dude ranch every summer, and now poser as experts...

I think the designers got a lot more RIGHT than wrong...
    I think the command string should be
    "Defective User... Replace User Y/N?"

Jammer
    ....THIS ^

I don't get the problem. MC is great if you trained a bit. Of course there are huge difference between the levels of difficulties for some classes but that's just how it is. I'm a hunter, so MC is absolutely cool with me.
    I might not play the Wildermore region though. Because there's just one thing I'd like to admit: those lags and bugs. Yes, they suck and I hope they'll manage to fix them.

MC is just not fun, at all, and I don't think it adds anything to the game. Wish it never happened.
    Yet another example of catering to the crowd (everyone was clamoring for MC in Rohan).
    Freeps: Venusia (Guardian), Silya (RK), Dwayr (Champion), Nissys (Captain), Filodon (Burgler), Tyveil (Lore-master)
    Creeps: Venusiel (R7 Weaver), Tyveilakh (R5 Warleader)
    [url="http://kingsbeyondthewall.com/"]Kings Beyond the Wall[/url]

I understand that many people do not like MC. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

In the beginning I was hesitant towards it. Now I love riding my warsteed! Seems that in the end of the day it's personal preference.
    [COLOR=#E36C09][b]We Fight For Food Kinship[/b][/COLOR] - [COLOR=#9BBB59][i]Nimrodel Server[/i][/COLOR]
    Visit our [url=www.wefightforfood.com]website[/url] or find us on fb :)

Quote Originally Posted by miofli View Post
    I understand that many people do not like MC. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

In the beginning I was hesitant towards it. Now I love riding my warsteed! Seems that in the end of the day it's personal preference.
    Unfortunately MC can't be avoided, whether we want it or not our gameplay is changed to accomodate it. Even if we never get on a horse ourselves, all our skills are nerfed to 'slows' instead of remaining stuns, roots and dazes, for the benefit of the mounted! So it is impossible to play your chararcter normally anywhere that MC takes place. It is one of the worst things ever added to this game if only for that reason!

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Unfortunately MC can't be avoided, whether we want it or not our gameplay is changed to accomodate it. Even if we never get on a horse ourselves, all our skills are nerfed to 'slows' instead of remaining stuns, roots and dazes, for the benefit of the mounted! So it is impossible to play your chararcter normally anywhere that MC takes place. It is one of the worst things ever added to this game if only for that reason!
    Actually this is debatable. I used to play lotro from a very old pc, when my character first reached Rohan my rig was so weak it could not support MC. As a result I did everything on foot on my hunter on the maps of the Wold and Norcrofts. Except for some -yes only some- Warbands (well every feature has some exclusive content) I had no trouble going through Rohan content and note that I was playing a class that is not really famous for its survivability. Later on when I updated my PC I kept going back and riding through those maps on my warsteed for the fun of it Now I am leveling my second toon and I honestly can't wait for Rohan. But I am repeating, all this is personal opinion. I understand that some people do not like MC. The game has many features and not everything is for everyone: I love mounted combat but I hate skirmishing for example. A friend of mine loves skirmishing but hates sessionplays; he avoids them like the plague. Another firend of mine loves sessions plays, is meh about MC and spends most of his time RPing. Everything in a game is down to what provides the most pleasure to the gamer and that is completely subjective.

One can't demand to have 100% of the content available when they refuse to use a key feature. It's like demanding raiding gear without ever entering a raid, or top roleplay skills without ever roleplaying. There is a long distance though, between saying "This feature I hate" and "This feature is worthless for LOTRO players because I hate it". Something that I hate someone else may love
    [COLOR=#E36C09][b]We Fight For Food Kinship[/b][/COLOR] - [COLOR=#9BBB59][i]Nimrodel Server[/i][/COLOR]
    Visit our [url=www.wefightforfood.com]website[/url] or find us on fb :)

Quote Originally Posted by miofli View Post
    Actually this is debatable. I used to play lotro from a very old pc, when my character first reached Rohan my rig was so weak it could not support MC. As a result I did everything on foot on my hunter on the maps of the Wold and Norcrofts. Except for some -yes only some- Warbands (well every feature has some exclusive content) I had no trouble going through Rohan content and note that I was playing a class that is not really famous for its survivability. Later on when I updated my PC I kept going back and riding through those maps on my warsteed for the fun of it Now I am leveling my second toon and I honestly can't wait for Rohan. But I am repeating, all this is personal opinion. I understand that some people do not like MC. The game has many features and not everything is for everyone: I love mounted combat but I hate skirmishing for example. A friend of mine loves skirmishing but hates sessionplays; he avoids them like the plague. Another firend of mine loves sessions plays, is meh about MC and spends most of his time RPing. Everything in a game is down to what provides the most pleasure to the gamer and that is completely subjective.

One can't demand to have 100% of the content available when they refuse to use a key feature. It's like demanding raiding gear without ever entering a raid, or top roleplay skills without ever roleplaying. There is a long distance though, between saying "This feature I hate" and "This feature is worthless for LOTRO players because I hate it". Something that I hate someone else may love
    I'm not saying that at all, what I am saying is that even if we decide not to use MC personally, our skills and and the way we have played our character is changed completely because of MC, since those skills no longer work the same. Say for example my Lore Master relies on stuns and roots to keep mobs at range while he combats them, ie, Blinding Flash on one mob, rooting others and picking them off one by one. Since roots and stuns no longer actually work and only acts as slows, then our characters can no longer play in the same way they have always done, regardless of whether we want to do MC or not. Roots and stuns should work exactly the same way on mounted mobs as on unmounted mobs. If a root works on Warg, then it should still work on a Warg with a goblin on its back, same with stuns and dazes! The 'spells' should not be fundamentally changed just because it is a mounted mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanor88 View Post
    ....THIS ^

I don't get the problem. MC is great if you trained a bit. Of course there are huge difference between the levels of difficulties for some classes but that's just how it is. I'm a hunter, so MC is absolutely cool with me.
    I might not play the Wildermore region though. Because there's just one thing I'd like to admit: those lags and bugs. Yes, they suck and I hope they'll manage to fix them.
    Yea MC might have gone over better, at least for some people/classes, if our glue factories didn't have a time warp bridle . Or if they had made use of class rolls or group play more advanced than "pile on"

Ever since they fixed the lag and rubberbanding issues (for the most part), I've been perfectly fine with MC. I only have a champion at that level, so I can't speak for the other classes, but it's simply a matter adjusting to a new system. If you can't adjust to it, then you have my sympathies, but it's not the system's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBasilisk View Post
    Ever since they fixed the lag and rubberbanding issues (for the most part), I've been perfectly fine with MC. I only have a champion at that level, so I can't speak for the other classes, but it's simply a matter adjusting to a new system. If you can't adjust to it, then you have my sympathies, but it's not the system's fault.
    That is an interesting thing to say for someone who states up front that he can only speak for one single class (and, I might add, a class for which MC is rather on the good and fun end).

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

I enjoy MC for the most part. I was actually expecting some kind of grind-arific aspect to either lvling the mount or the bridle, but not so, these level pretty normally and quickly. I was also expecting more group-oriented play designed INTO MC (not stampedes) with MC being a little more elaborate in it's battles, maybe an instance or two, or even a skirmish. Maybe we'll get to ride to Minith Tirith with the Rohirrim, and battle at the Pelennor Fields? For now at least MC is limited to landscape. I have not a problem with the skills, or steering, but I still do find some rubber-banding.

Durrga R13 Hunter *Highguard of Numenor /Medwulf (semi-retired) R10 Champ / Vei the Burg R9

Quote Originally Posted by Oberrill View Post
    Instead the Devs spend precious resources producing a terrible MC system
    the quality of the system should tell you: nope, they didnt ^^

they simply took the prototype version of MC that was left behind after the original devs where booted
    and made it the main selling point for one of the free-of-cost expansions they need to fuel the free 2 play business

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBasilisk View Post
    How do you answer this?

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Say for example my Lore Master relies on stuns and roots to keep mobs at range while he combats them, ie, Blinding Flash on one mob, rooting others and picking them off one by one. Since roots and stuns no longer actually work and only acts as slows, then our characters can no longer play in the same way they have always done, regardless of whether we want to do MC or not. Roots and stuns should work exactly the same way on mounted mobs as on unmounted mobs. If a root works on Warg, then it should still work on a Warg with a goblin on its back, same with stuns and dazes! The 'spells' should not be fundamentally changed just because it is a mounted mob.
    So completely changing skills and how they work and removing the ability to use pets which has been the hallmark of the class since level 2 and the premise on which the whole KoA line is built, was just adjusting to a new system rather than a fundamental change to the class? And was forced upon Lore Masters (for example) regardless of whether they engaged in MC or not!

To be honest, except for some occasional rubberbanding, I enjoyed MC a lot. I have 3 level capped characters : a champion, a hunter and a rune-keeper. Hunter is by far the most enjoyable, and also the one I use for soloing the more difficult warbands. Champion and rune-keeper are about the same regarding enjoyment. My lore-master will be next.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    To be honest, except for some occasional rubberbanding, I enjoyed MC a lot. I have 3 level capped characters : a champion, a hunter and a rune-keeper. Hunter is by far the most enjoyable, and also the one I use for soloing the more difficult warbands. Champion and rune-keeper are about the same regarding enjoyment. My lore-master will be next.
    Today I obtained my fourth war steed, for the champion, and I am so seasoned at mounted combat that I was able to exercise a great deal more control, as compared to beta when MC was first unveiled. You are in for a huge treat because the Lore-master on a steed is awesome....far and away I enjoy playing the LM on mounted combat the most. I also enjoy it using the Minstrel and the Rune-Keeper. I REALLY have to watch my AOE on Minnie and finally moved the skills around a bit more. From what little I did, I think I will enjoy the champion on MC second to the LM. My fifth 85 will probably be my hunter, so thanks for the heads up !

I'm posting because just a couple of hours ago I was thinking how very much I love mounted combat. It is a real success story in LOTRO.

VeryBeary

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast