We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 122

Thread: MC is awful

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lakefront
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by janlyn View Post
    As has been mentioned here a number of times, MC is a learning curve. I played Rohan at release and expected MC to be difficult. It was so hard just to maneuver my warsteed that I took him to Breeland and practiced riding, stopping, jumping, circling, changing speeds, etc. That helped me enough go back to Rohan and be able to ride through Harwick without running into fences. Also, I was encouraged by a friend to use a light bridle and how to set my traits for my particular class. Learning to MC was very challenging for me but I learned to love it by level 85 and promptly leveled 3 more characters to 85 just so I could continue MC. To me, Rohan would lack its luster without MC because that's what I enjoy doing most.

    Bugs, glitches, lag aside, MC takes time and patience to learn and excel at. Was there ever anything else in your life that was too hard to do that you simply gave up without trying to get it right? MC is like that. I encourage players not to give up. Expect MC to be difficult, then master it. If I can learn it anyone can.

    Side note: some classes are more fun than others on MC. IMO, best is the captain, worst is the guardian (my guardian is still only 81). Hunter is great, Runekeeper's not so bad either.
    That's what I've been doing, taking the big, hulking brute to areas in Breeland and just practicing. I basically just got the war steed so I'm still not good at it at all. And you say Guardian is the worst? /facepalm from my Guardian.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    That's what I've been doing, taking the big, hulking brute to areas in Breeland and just practicing. I basically just got the war steed so I'm still not good at it at all. And you say Guardian is the worst? /facepalm from my Guardian.
    Good for you! Practice makes perfect.
    I do believe the guardian is more difficult but since it's your first MC character, you won't notice the difference. lol
    Seriously, I have changed traits several times because there are basically no long range attack skills for the guardian (unless I'm missing something). However, with each trait change, I have made sure to keep 1 point in "By the right flank" (40m range tactical skill). This brings the target to me. Also, the guardian defaults to bow and arrow when the enemy gets out of melee range but it's still short range. But it's all manageable. You'll probably be able to give me some tips before long.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lakefront
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by janlyn View Post
    Good for you! Practice makes perfect.
    I do believe the guardian is more difficult but since it's your first MC character, you won't notice the difference. lol
    Seriously, I have changed traits several times because there are basically no long range attack skills for the guardian (unless I'm missing something). However, with each trait change, I have made sure to keep 1 point in "By the right flank" (40m range tactical skill). This brings the target to me. Also, the guardian defaults to bow and arrow when the enemy gets out of melee range but it's still short range. But it's all manageable. You'll probably be able to give me some tips before long.

    Thank you! I did notice on my first few tries at mounted combat I had to start swinging a blow before the target got to me or I got to them! And of course I was galloping wildly the whole quest. I did notice the default to the bow, which helps when my target is galloping just before me, so in the beginning I just ended up letting the enemy come to me. Which is when I decided to practice.

    I just finished a practice walk thru Bree and all the obstacles there. And then went on to the Ford of Bruienen at a brisk canter while trying to weave in between trees and such. I think folks riding their steeds there must've thought I was totally nuts to see an Elf on a war steed with no tack. But hey, in a practice run my Guardian likes the natural look.

    I did read something about using Follow on a mounted enemy...how does this work?

    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by janlyn View Post
    As has been mentioned here a number of times, MC is a learning curve. I played Rohan at release and expected MC to be difficult. It was so hard just to maneuver my warsteed that I took him to Breeland and practiced riding, stopping, jumping, circling, changing speeds, etc. That helped me enough go back to Rohan and be able to ride through Harwick without running into fences. Also, I was encouraged by a friend to use a light bridle and how to set my traits for my particular class. Learning to MC was very challenging for me but I learned to love it by level 85 and promptly leveled 3 more characters to 85 just so I could continue MC. To me, Rohan would lack its luster without MC because that's what I enjoy doing most.

    Bugs, glitches, lag aside, MC takes time and patience to learn and excel at. Was there ever anything else in your life that was too hard to do that you simply gave up without trying to get it right? MC is like that. I encourage players not to give up. Expect MC to be difficult, then master it. If I can learn it anyone can.

    Side note: some classes are more fun than others on MC. IMO, best is the captain, worst is the guardian (my guardian is still only 81). Hunter is great, Runekeeper's not so bad either.
    I'm still not totally sold on MC, but I was trying to do it with my champion, so that could be part of the issue. I've been away for a while and I'm trying to get back into LOTRO.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lakefront
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by ElffriendNick View Post
    I'm still not totally sold on MC, but I was trying to do it with my champion, so that could be part of the issue. I've been away for a while and I'm trying to get back into LOTRO.
    I'm not totally sold on it either, but I'm giving it a go....so lots of luck to us both! BTW, welcome back. And if you see some weirdo circling trees and running at a full speed gallop, that'd be me.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    I did read something about using Follow on a mounted enemy...how does this work?
    Pretty simple actually. If you want a button to follow your target on quickslot 1, just type in the chat:
    Code:
    /shortcut 1 /follow
    You can then drag it around like any other quickslot entry too.

    Be careful though, if you use it several times in rapid succession, the server will feel offended and shows something like "too many commands. please wait", and after that no kind of automatic movement works anymore until you remount, no matter how long you wait.
    If you're unlucky, your warsteed refuses to move at all, I had to face-tank Haglob once because i misclicked a few times too often and was stuck in /follow mode, any kind of steering command would just bring up the error message again...not funny.

    edit: you can of course also use the "spur on" skill for auto-movement, though it does cost quite a bit of extra power unless you fully skilled your steed's power trait.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; Oct 05 2013 at 02:58 PM.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by janlyn View Post
    IMO, best is the captain, worst is the guardian (my guardian is still only 81). Hunter is great, Runekeeper's not so bad either.
    Bah. I actually like it on my guard. You feel like mounted warrior with a two hander. It's boring, but it looks right to me. I'm not sure how my RK will play. Have a feeling she's going to look really odd bringing the electrocutions on horseback.

    To the OP: Hated it in the beginning. Thought if I wanted to ride a horse that handles like a horrid Gran Turismo starter car, I'd dig out my old playstation and go do that. Took about 3 months off and played something else. I did come back after Turbine made some tweaks and it's considerably better. I'd go with a light bridle to start and make friends with agility. It'll make the handling of your warhorse less painful. Fiddle with the combat horse speed setting in options to see which one suits you better. I did start out with light, but ended up with medium because I wanted the durability. As much as I'd love a destria, I never bothered with the heavy. I'd like to trample orcs with it, but I don't want to throw my mouse across the room out of frustration or fall asleep due to boredom.
    Relax, it's only just a string of 1s and 0s.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grhysli View Post
    I take the opposite position........

    I love Mounted combat and wish they would make some MC skirmishes.
    At lease just one MC skirmish for those of us that like it, please.

    I wish they would also have a MC group instance of some sort for 3, 6, & 12 man.
    Not likely for that one to happen though as much as i would love to see it.

    My main point is please don't discount MC and ask for it to be removed because there are those of us that do like it.
    I totally agree with the above comment! I love mounted combat!!

    And yes, as others have stated the beginnings are tough.
    Just hang in there, level and train your war-steed (and yourself ), it is going to get better, much better!

    I started out with my champion and actually love getting up close in combat. For me nothing compares to dashing across the fields and grasslands of Rohan
    on top of my trusted steed and defeating enemies left and right.
    I barely use my regular horses (and I am a collector) anymore as I love travelling with my war-steed as well!

    Even though MC may not be perfect yet - but much improved since the last update for me as well - I cannot wait until my alts will acquire their war-steeds!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lakefront
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Pretty simple actually. If you want a button to follow your target on quickslot 1, just type in the chat:
    Code:
    /shortcut 1 /follow
    You can then drag it around like any other quickslot entry too.

    Be careful though, if you use it several times in rapid succession, the server will feel offended and shows something like "too many commands. please wait", and after that no kind of automatic movement works anymore until you remount, no matter how long you wait.
    If you're unlucky, your warsteed refuses to move at all, I had to face-tank Haglob once because i misclicked a few times too often and was stuck in /follow mode, any kind of steering command would just bring up the error message again...not funny.

    edit: you can of course also use the "spur on" skill for auto-movement, though it does cost quite a bit of extra power unless you fully skilled your steed's power trait.
    Thanks I got it now! Although all that following and spinning around the enemy made me dizzy.....O.o. LOL
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    You'd better hope you 'miss' Bugud and friends! Almost any of the warbands would eat you alive if soloing on foot/regular horse.

    Hey, whatever floats your boat. If you like it better on foot or with a regular horse then enjoy!

    I ride my warhorse up to bugud and jump off to fight him it's much easier that way. I only stay on it if I have to. Because I have had a very hard time with it, its lack of fun has me riding away from most fights and only fighting on it if I get trapped somewhere and then usually dismount to fight. It wasn't implemented well in my opinion and thankfully they have made nothing else you need it for. hopefully it gets shelved until the far distant future after they figure out how to make it work then bring it back where it is enjoyable to play for all.
    Mean what you say and say what you mean! If you don't there are always consequences!

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    Thanks I got it now! Although all that following and spinning around the enemy made me dizzy.....O.o. LOL
    Ah yes you do a nice 360 every time your target dies xD
    I'm not sure if it already was this way before 11.3 where they broke following...only played ranged classes lately, where I don't use follow.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lakefront
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Ah yes you do a nice 360 every time your target dies xD
    I'm not sure if it already was this way before 11.3 where they broke following...only played ranged classes lately, where I don't use follow.
    I don't know.....all I know is when I got off the steed my head was still spinning and my Tank couldn't get up the steps in a straight forward motion.....*squints, is it over?*
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

  13. #38
    After Mounted Combat was released middle earth passed the law "don't drink and ride" I have gotten multiple DUIs from RPD (Rohan police department) as have probably everyone who uses MC. I remember one time I was driving hard and fast to a village when suddenly I realized I was driving towards a steep cliff! I turned the horse hard left (hoping to make an illegal U turn which would probably get me another ticket but would be better then falling to my death ) Calista (the default name of my horse) turned hard but we came just short of the turn and I have this mental picture of the horse's feet scratching to stay on the cliff but to no avail and me letting out a yell like in those cartoons "yahohoho"(in other words we fell down the cliff). My judgement of MC? It's terrible. I mean who wants to ride around in a circle delivering only one blow each time? really?!
    Last edited by Alexrneb; Oct 07 2013 at 03:16 PM.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,881
    One thing that might help is to not think of it like a horse, but a boat. I took to it right away when I realized if I steered it like a boat, it performed as expected. Obviously it behaves nothing like an actual horse, as anyone who has ridden one, or seen one at a fair or on TV can tell.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by janlyn View Post
    Side note: some classes are more fun than others on MC. IMO, best is the captain, worst is the guardian (my guardian is still only 81). Hunter is great, Runekeeper's not so bad either.
    So how does the captain work? does his companion have a horse aswell or does the companion just disappear?

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    One thing that might help is to not think of it like a horse, but a boat. I took to it right away when I realized if I steered it like a boat, it performed as expected. Obviously it behaves nothing like an actual horse, as anyone who has ridden one, or seen one at a fair or on TV can tell.
    Yes it is much like a boat, but I am not driving a boat I am riding a horse. So shouldn't I expect it to behave like a horse?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,881
    Per boatness:
    No you shouldn't expect the bunch of horse shaped pixels to behave like a horse if it's programmed to drive like a boat!

    Re captainness:
    Captain's heralds disappear, captains have massive AoEs with huge range for some magical reason, and since you are essentially invulnerable to MOBs when mounted, you simply ride into an enemy camp, circle around to aggro all the MOBs there, then circle the mass of them repeatedly hitting your AoEs every time they are off CD. In short order everything is dead, you can complete your quest objectives, and move on to the next area, it's tremendously boring/easy.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Per boatness:
    No you shouldn't expect the bunch of horse shaped pixels to behave like a horse if it's programmed to drive like a boat!

    Re captainness:
    Captain's heralds disappear, captains have massive AoEs with huge range for some magical reason, and since you are essentially invulnerable to MOBs when mounted, you simply ride into an enemy camp, circle around to aggro all the MOBs there, then circle the mass of them repeatedly hitting your AoEs every time they are off CD. In short order everything is dead, you can complete your quest objectives, and move on to the next area, it's tremendously boring/easy.
    what?! I should expect a horse to drive like a boat? really?! Let's be logical here, this is horse combat not boat combat. That's like eating an apple and expecting it to taste like something else.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lakefront
    Posts
    484
    Well, I don't know how to drive a boat...but, I have noticed that with the WS I need to start a turn before I need to turn. And to start stopping before I need to actually stop, wait a minute; that is like a boat! LOL
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    Well, I don't know how to drive a boat...but, I have noticed that with the WS I need to start a turn before I need to turn. And to start stopping before I need to actually stop, wait a minute; that is like a boat! LOL
    Yes sadly it is much like a boat.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Pretty simple actually. If you want a button to follow your target on quickslot 1, just type in the chat:
    Code:
    /shortcut 1 /follow
    You can then drag it around like any other quickslot entry too.

    edit: you can of course also use the "spur on" skill for auto-movement, though it does cost quite a bit of extra power unless you fully skilled your steed's power trait.
    Thanks for posting the "follow" command. It's a good alternative to spur on. Very helpful.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grandvillle, MI, USA
    Posts
    54
    I love mounted combat! I play primarily as a Warden, so that might have something to do with it. I've played many many hours of Mount & Blade, which I think prepared me very well for mounted combat in LotRO and I just have a blast with it. Very unique for an MMO, too.

    I can understand some people not enjoying it, but remember that your opinions are just that: opinions. No more valid than mine or others. Calling for the removal of a unique and, to many, enjoyable part of the game just because you personally don't enjoy it is more than a bit selfish.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuelenion View Post
    I love mounted combat! I play primarily as a Warden, so that might have something to do with it. I've played many many hours of Mount & Blade, which I think prepared me very well for mounted combat in LotRO and I just have a blast with it. Very unique for an MMO, too.

    I can understand some people not enjoying it, but remember that your opinions are just that: opinions. No more valid than mine or others. Calling for the removal of a unique and, to many, enjoyable part of the game just because you personally don't enjoy it is more than a bit selfish.
    I don't see that even as a possibility that they will remove it so don't worry about that.

    I still wish it wasn't there and I for those of you who like it I wish that they would just have a setting so that you could turn it on or off.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Per boatness:


    Re captainness:
    Captain's heralds disappear, captains have massive AoEs with huge range for some magical reason, and since you are essentially invulnerable to MOBs when mounted, you simply ride into an enemy camp, circle around to aggro all the MOBs there, then circle the mass of them repeatedly hitting your AoEs every time they are off CD. In short order everything is dead, you can complete your quest objectives, and move on to the next area, it's tremendously boring/easy.
    LOL that explains why I like it so much! Dang, I thought I was just good at it. rofl

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    224
    RJFerret

    Captain's heralds disappear, captains have massive AoEs with huge range for some magical reason, and since you are essentially invulnerable to MOBs when mounted, you simply ride into an enemy camp, circle around to aggro all the MOBs there, then circle the mass of them repeatedly hitting your AoEs every time they are off CD



    Yep, love playing my Captain on my War Steed. His AOE is amazing. Love the sword animation where he jams the sword in, then rips it out. This agros a few more, then you use other AOE to mow them down. Its a giggle.

    Also love playing my Burglar. Go into an Orc camp and compel a Troll to be your Ally, then get the troll to bash up on Orcs.. it's cool and a laugh.

    Um, is riding the Horsepants the same as riding a real horse?! I have never ridden a real life horse, ridden camels, elephants and motorbikes of all descriptions, rubber dingy's in the back yard pool, speed boats, yachts, inflated tractor tyres in the river, cars, trucks, just not a RL horse, so can't compare but my common sense tells me,

    I Don't Think So.

    I am afraid I am a little lost on the whole 'it doesn't feel like a real horse' statement that comes up from time to time.

    With all due respect...

    ...So what!

    Let me advise you from experience, be grateful it does not ride like a camel - Ranged attack- camel spit in your eye. lol.

    As many many peeps from many many threads have stated, unlike horsepants, you need to learn MC.

    The learning curve is in no way, steep.

    I think of myself as a really bad player in game. I am uncoordinated and learning the finesse of my characters skills is not my main driving force, and yet, I love playing my characters and love experimenting what they do in mounted combat.

    My experience with MC has been wonderful, and can only trust that Turbine will be introducing new instances for MC going forward and ensuring MC has all active skills on future landscapes.

    It is a great, and to my understanding from people who have played other games, a very unique mechanic.

    Cheers

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload