We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returnign after 4 years break

Hello I used to play lotro way way back . But couldidn't get into it because I felt lotro was too grindy.
    I'm considering coming back , but I wanted to know what has changed . As for classes I always enjoyed playing the support roles , I used to play a captain primarily
    and I may roll that as my main , but I also love the hobbits and was considering rolling a minstrel

How are these 2 classes , and stuff . also has the trait system change much and stuff ?

Guess what? Now is more grindy, well is a MMO. But you are welcome to stay.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Brothertruck View Post
    Hello I used to play lotro way way back . But couldidn't get into it because I felt lotro was too grindy.
    I'm considering coming back , but I wanted to know what has changed . As for classes I always enjoyed playing the support roles , I used to play a captain primarily
    and I may roll that as my main , but I also love the hobbits and was considering rolling a minstrel

How are these 2 classes , and stuff . also has the trait system change much and stuff ?
    After 4 years you are barely going to recognize the place. A lot of the grinds have been reduced or eliminated, though I can't guarantee that they addressed your specific issues. There's no way I can explain all the changes to you; it's just too many. Here are some highlights:
    • The Epic quest chain can be solo'd in its entirety. (Well, except for the Volume 2 Epilogue, which is completely optional.) They use 2 or 3 different mechanisms for this so it varies by the quest.
    • The game is now free to play. If you can remember your username and password, use it to log in and all your characters will be there, just where you left them. Your account will be Premium since you subscribed in the past. You will be able to get non-Epic quests and deeds in the Shire, Ered Luin, Breeland, and the Lonelands, plus any expansions you had before. You can complete any quests or deeds still in your logs. But if you want to get quests in other zones, you'll need to either purchase them with Turbine Points (TPs) or subscribe. (Or buy some sort of package with either TPs or money... this part has a lot of options.)
    • Did you leave before the Skirmish system went in game? There are now instances you can scale by level, difficulty, and number of players. Access to the instances you used to know & love is also through the same UI. So there's no need for a Captain to run to the Rift in order to summon everyone else there.
    • If you want to spend money to buy TPs, you can use them to cut down on much of the grind and tedium... even for things like leveling up your crafting. If you don't, you sure don't have to. And you earn TPs in game, mostly by completing deeds!

Captain and Minstrel are both great classes and are in demand in groups. The trait system for Class traits has changed a bit, and major changes are due with the Helm's Deep expansion scheduled to release in November. Look at the Dev Diaries; the ones for Captain and Minstrel have been published.

Welcome back!
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

What did you enjoy about the captain? If it was a support and generalist role, that is changing with the release of the Helm's Deep expac in November, and the dev diary sounds like captains will be weak in support and will choose a trait tree that is tank, heals or dps - the flexibility will be gone.

Big changes are in store for all classes, so I don't think this is a time to try Lotro as, if you like the game play, you may not after the expac - or vice versa.
    Either way, there will still be lots of grind, it's the end game now rather than compelling raids or instances.

All MMOs are grindy by design but what makes them grindy is your outlook. If you found this game grindy before, then you will find it grindy again now, but it's not because the game is grindy, it's because your outlook hasn't changed.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    What did you enjoy about the captain? If it was a support and generalist role, that is changing with the release of the Helm's Deep expac in November, and the dev diary sounds like captains will be weak in support and will choose a trait tree that is tank, heals or dps - the flexibility will be gone.
    That's our #1 way of supporting. Being able to fill any role, at any time, and do as good as we can.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Since LOTRO is now free to play, you can always just download/reinstall the game and login to your old server and characters and see what you've got and what their status is. That will cost you nothing. I think you'll find it worth the look.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Well, plenty has changed... IMO there is much more grind now then there ever was before... Hytbolt dailies, wildermore dailies, rohan rep quests, instance farming, crafting instances.... This is all end-game but its still a horrendous grind... repetition, day after day... Probably couple of months of grinding if you want the FA and hytbolt gear...

But leveling, amazingly does not feel like a grind... Areas are refreshed, questing is fun, storyline is good and epic quest-line is interesting as always.....

If you dislike grinding, and are not a pvp fan, Lotro end-game has absolutely nothing to offer you.... (maybe things will change with HD, who knows?)
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

I'm afraid the grind has greatly increased. Even on only a few characters at cap you can spend an entire day grinding (very boring) daily quests. If you add the grind for deeds and gear to that, you're looking at not enough time in the day.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]