We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads

Early Level Classes. Which are the dullest or most tedious, and when do they improve?

I just bought four character slots so I can have one of every class, and I was wanting to know from your guys experience.

If you haven't played every class, that's okay, but I'd like input from those who've played a class for a while. Primarily, what I'd like to know is:

How fun is each class early on. Fun for me is being able to kill things efficiently without being killed if an enemy breathes on me.

For example:

Hunter- Fun from the start. Able to kill quickly due to skills like quickshot which have fast cool downs and not too squishy if you don't aggro too many mobs. Really improves at level 20-25.
    Burglar- Not so fun early on (I'm only level 7). Three melee skills with long cooldowns so you can't attack quickly so battles are prolonged.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

warden - solo slaughter machine, can easily take on groups of mobs if well geared. 20-30 same can also tank fairly well has a few issues with group agro keeping. 30-40 begins to have significant issues with agro in groups, survivability dips a bit. 40-50 survivability comes back agro is still an issue. 50-60 agro improves till 60 when EOB fixes all agro issues. Power is a problem till 64 after this wardens are pure awesome. Solo slaughter machine may not stay if the double main stat(agi/might) is changed with helms deep. It may also begin to have issues with gear in 60-75 range if the double main stat is changed and reward gear is not changed to agi.
    Welleg - brandywine, Kelleg/Gelleg - Landroval
    WARNING: leveling a warden may cause you to neglect your other characters.

Loremasters can be tricky at early levels. The secret is using blinding flash, debuffs, and the pet's flanking mechanic to make up for the light armor and shortage of reliable attacks.

I've done every class up to level 20.

Burg is kinda slow at first until you get more cc, debuffs, and attacks.

RK is really slow in the very beginning. You only have 2 attacks and light armor, but by level 20 you're killing things in 2-3 hits from range

LM was a lot to wrap my head around at the beginning as well. I still haven't really got going with the class, but I'm guessing that's a problem with me, not the class.
    [B]Dwarrowdelf[/B]: Gufli-Champ(58), Gadhalion-Hunter(27), Galbarad-Warrden(23), Gildro-Burg(20)
    [B]Windfola[/B]: Fredemond-Mini(25), Fimorin-Cappy(34), Fallaf-Guard(25), Fumli-RK(25), Falandion-LM(21)

Lore master is probably the trickiest to play early on, really lacks survival skills and has no armor or avoidance to rely on. Working with the pets can be pretty maddening as well. LMs get a LOT more powerful later in the game once they can stack heals they are pretty immortal and their killing potential is REALLY high.

Guardian is definitely the most frustrating class to play at any level, you kill SO slowly and you run out of power a LOT. Guardians spend a lot of their time just auto attacking or resting between fights to regen power.

Hunter is really powerful at lower levels, but as you go it can get pretty tricky as you don't have a ton of skills to help your survive and you need to get pretty crafty when you have to fight really big enemies or many at once.

if first toon you roll when you get to game is hunter ,, is good till the 30sih when you start to feel the quishy..i deleted mine at 33 , i tried to re rolled but deleted itat lv 11 mech are boring for me
    warden: awesome in the begening , great steady survival..beast when capp.. problem is when you have them as alt and get back to it ..good luck remembering all gambits and thier changes in stances...requires a lot of time XD
    rk: slow at first, interesting when more ranged skills come on...still you feel thier squishines at levels get higher..not too much mobility is sucky ..but beast dps and alternative healers
    burg: gets fun once u can stealth..you can skipp so many mobs not needed to finish quest..burst dps is awesome..bit annoying of range but after 75 thier heal improve so well
    lm: they are hard and pet mannaging can be annoying , mines still stuck at 33 in first server , the morale cost in lowbi levels can kill you
    cappy: deleted mine at 33 , just to bland for my play style..and low dps....
    guard :same as cappy but could take it so mine died at 19
    champ: have not tried it pass 20
    and last mini: mini is the god class..never die, great attack while in the move (same with heal) and great range for most dps skills#. play death..best kite for survive mass killing ! and pro healer !
    Last edited by MithrilMinded; Sep 21 2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: i forgot about lm and cappies
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

It is completely subjective. Someone loves the class you hate. Someone cannot stand the class you think rocks. Good game designers understand this and develop a wide variety of classes with diverse play characteristics and let players find what they like. (Bad game designers try to force all players into a small number of "preferred" styles.)

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    I appreciate the replies. If anyone else would like to chime in, please do, though as was stated, I know it's subjective. I'm loving the Guardian so far, lots of attacks, lots of health, so I'm not waiting for cooldowns and and I'm not dying while I'm waiting. Maybe it's just because it's so different from Hunter and Minstrel which I have at 85 that is making it so fun.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    I appreciate the replies. If anyone else would like to chime in, please do, though as was stated, I know it's subjective. I'm loving the Guardian so far, lots of attacks, lots of health, so I'm not waiting for cooldowns and and I'm not dying while I'm waiting. Maybe it's just because it's so different from Hunter and Minstrel which I have at 85 that is making it so fun.
    I think that the more classes you've already played, the easier every subsequent class is to play.

I started the game with a hunter which is basically just the point and shoot class and it went pretty easily for a long time.

Then I decided to try a lore-master and pulled my hair out on her. I deleted her because the lvl 14 class quest made me crazy.

Next I rolled up a minstrel and he was pretty easy to play even though it was under the old minstrel system of Way Too Many Ballads to Manage. Nothing was hard after facing so many LM deaths. lol

Eventually I came back to LM and rolled up a new one. In the interim, I also discovered LOTRO-Wiki to get pointers on difficult content and advice on best use of skills by a class. She sailed through the game, she's made it to lvl 85 and the LM is probably my favorite class in game now. She passed the hunter who still hasn't finished the East Rohan content. My LM is the toon that I send into new areas first because she's got the versatility to handle most any sticky situation.

The only class I still haven't had any luck with is the Captain. I'm sure it's just me but despite the LM as a pet class like the Captain to Herald pet class, I just can't wrap my head around them. I'm sure I'll give them another try one day because it will literally come down to me discovering the missing piece of the puzzle that makes everything come together around it.

you people keep saying that captains and guards have very low dps... theres a cappy on my server who last i checked, has about 2.3 or 2.4k dps. and some weeks ago, i found a lvl 79 guard who's gear could be improved a LOT,no offense, that has 2.3k dps even at lvl 79 w/ average gear. does this disprove your logic about low cappy and guard dps?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000129f87/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by obi-wan-kenobi View Post
    you people keep saying that captains and guards have very low dps... theres a cappy on my server who last i checked, has about 2.3 or 2.4k dps. and some weeks ago, i found a lvl 79 guard who's gear could be improved a LOT,no offense, that has 2.3k dps even at lvl 79 w/ average gear. does this disprove your logic about low cappy and guard dps?
    I don't know of ANY character that has 2.3 or or 2.4k *DPS* (damage per SECOND). They might do that on a hit; and for a Captain that would be a critical hit. I would encourage you to review where you heard this and see if perhaps you misunderstood.

And also... screen shots or it didn't happen. I've heard folks brag about their DPS to fairly unlikely levels.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    I don't know of ANY character that has 2.3 or or 2.4k *DPS* (damage per SECOND).
    I actually know of a cappy on Riddermark who can consistently hit 2.2-2.3k in a raid, so it's definitely possible although difficult. Very few cappies are capable of putting out this much dps though.
    Eredor-Champion, Ereworn-Minstrel, Ereshorn-Runekeeper, Eresworn-Hunter, Pleasefarmme-Reaver Eremourn-Burglar Erehorn-Captain, Erelorn-Warden, Eretorn-Lore-Master... And Erecorn-Master Farmer

this person, the one w/ the cappy, also has a 85 hunter, and idk if its true, but they say that their hunter has 3.5k-4k dps. i can tell you their names if you really want to know.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000129f87/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

DPS numbers are pointless without knowing how they are obtained. Numbers on a 85 training dummy will be completely different than on a 75 dummy, single-target target boss fight or AoE trash pull situations. Just like timeframe and buffs can have a major impact.

Anyway, the OP wanted to know about feeling of classes at early levels, not which class can get the biggest epeen.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Interesting point on burglars, when they can sneak up behind things and backstab them, they can one or two-shot things, so much faster than other classes.

Also, why fight? Sneak through to the final objective, kill, sneak out, much faster (although a liability of this is not completing slayer deeds along the way if you care).
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by obi-wan-kenobi View Post
    this person, the one w/ the cappy, also has a 85 hunter, and idk if its true, but they say that their hunter has 3.5k-4k dps. i can tell you their names if you really want to know.
    /facepalm

/10char
    Zoofro Fireloins - Level 85 Dwarf Hunter (Active) - Landroval
    Zoofro Healfro - Level 64 Dwarf Runekeeper (Inactive) - Brandywine

For me, the LM didn't get fun until level 58 (when 60 was the cap). Grouping is what made the LM fun for me. And when groups allow the LM to assume all of the LM roles (and not just DPS), then its my favorite class. I did bench him as my main when most groups expected me to trait red and play him like a champ. Leveling was slow, the class was squishy, and I didn't understand things like pet flanks, pet food, which mobs to CC, etc. I think if I were to level a new LM now, I would likely find it much more fun.

As for the Burg... they become much more fun. You can turn a mob to face away from you and guarantee a crit on your first hit. While it may take 2 or 3 hits to actually kill the mob, its an effective one-shot as they really can't do anything before you finish them off. You also get to CC, pick pockets, and run around all stealthy

The Guard never became fun for me. Its DPS was too low and (again with groups) too many don't seem to like proper tank mechanics. I grew tired of watching burgs and RK's run into battle first and then scream for me to take mobs off them while they ran around the room. (if I could pick my groups, I wouldn't mind tanking, but it just ended up not being much fun when, most of the time, I couldn't pick my teammates).

The cappy is very fun. His DPS currently suffers a bit lower than most classes. My only problem with the cappy is when groups expect him as the main healer. I much prefer to be an off-healer with the cappy. The cappy can only consistently main heal when the group works very well together. Pugging as a main healer is not fun in my book.

The mini is always fun to me. I have the outgoing healing to keep up bad pugs in most situations. I have the solo DPS to dance around 3+ mobs on level and AoE them down to rubble. Its range DPS on the move, so I never feel stuck like every other class with inductions. I have fun backup roles like buffing, effect removals, corruption removals, CC, etc.

Hunter is fun with unique soloing skills like +% run speed, ports, tracking mobs, long distance ranged combat. Difficult to find groups as they tend to prefer more utility from DPS classes and the hunter population is overcrowded.

Champ is ok. With mini and LM being my favorite classes, melee is a stretch for me to play. However, its high DPS, AoE, and heavy armor allow you to pull off some amazing things.

RK and Warden, I have not played enough to comment on.

I have low levels of all classes, but can only speak to the two I've advanced the farthest. My LM is level 32. He was my first character and I'm still fond of playing him from time to time. I died quite a bit early on as I was learning the game. In hindsight, it was probably not a wise class to learn the game on. Since then, his survivability is just fine. You simply need to learn how to layer their skills.

My main is now my guardian and I absolutely love the class. I'll be hitting level 57 tonight and have massive survivability. I play him both in overpower mode and sword and board (well, actually hammer and board). I'll admit that I'm not a big grouping player, so I don't generally have to compare his dps to other classes. While combat occasionally feels drawn out, I don't often feel that way. If you like being able to feel confident that you can survive pretty much anything the landscape throws at you or knowing that you can pull mobs easily off a passing overwhelmed character, the guardian is the class for you; particularly if you're not bothered by not 'mowing through mobs'.

LM was my first character in the game, and my only level 85er. I never thought of him as being squishy. Even at low levels, Burning Embers and Staff Strike are all you really need to kill anything 1 on 1. Maybe not as fast as a hunter (never played one) but still no problems.

I started playing a few more classes up to 25-30. I tried burg next. Not really a fan of the sneak-n-stab method of fighting but they can do decently well. They play quite differently from my LM (imagine that!). Not the most survivable though IMHO.

Wardens can live a long time with decent damage, you just need to remember your gambits. If you play it regularly that should be fine, but as a part-time warden it gets difficult.

Captains don't do much damage and are the slowest advancing that I've tried, but at higher levels I've seen them do impressive things.

Minstrels can heal and do solid damage. Just don't let too many things get close up or you'll keep getting interrupted and have trouble getting your songs off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedman View Post
    Loremasters can be tricky at early levels. The secret is using blinding flash, debuffs, and the pet's flanking mechanic to make up for the light armor and shortage of reliable attacks.
    However, I found that this made the lore master fun. Hunter felt too automatic, able to succeed no matter what buttons you pressed. You have to pay attention as a lore master, but in return you learn to play it very well.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    I just bought four character slots so I can have one of every class, and I was wanting to know from your guys experience.

If you haven't played every class, that's okay, but I'd like input from those who've played a class for a while. Primarily, what I'd like to know is:

How fun is each class early on. Fun for me is being able to kill things efficiently without being killed if an enemy breathes on me.

For example:

Hunter- Fun from the start. Able to kill quickly due to skills like quickshot which have fast cool downs and not too squishy if you don't aggro too many mobs. Really improves at level 20-25.
    Burglar- Not so fun early on (I'm only level 7). Three melee skills with long cooldowns so you can't attack quickly so battles are prolonged.
    Captain is very tedious, Improves ~level 40
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Captain is very tedious, Improves ~level 40
    I never found that for me. Captain was actually quite fun at low levels; use Rallying Cry after a fight and you're refreshed enough to run to the next fight immediately, so very little downtime between fights compared to some other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    I never found that for me. Captain was actually quite fun at low levels; use Rallying Cry after a fight and you're refreshed enough to run to the next fight immediately, so very little downtime between fights compared to some other classes.
    Lvl 1-20 was tedious for my cappy(My first toon, two years ago... It may have been made easier with more quests since then).

It's not the HP, it's that the cappy produces very little DPS at lower levels.

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    It's not the HP, it's that the cappy produces very little DPS at lower levels.
    I never cared about how long it took to kill things. I did all 9 classes, including guardian with only a shield (much slower than captain). This is why I think making hunter or champion as your first character is not always a good idea, because any class after that will seem slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    I never cared about how long it took to kill things. I did all 9 classes, including guardian with only a shield (much slower than captain). This is why I think making hunter or champion as your first character is not always a good idea, because any class after that will seem slow.
    My cappy was my first character. It was slow for me, but I got used to it... Which is why I started my rk and went, "OMG! TO FAST! TO FAST!"