We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Don't you love crafting alts

I saw this today and about busted up laughing. I joined the cooks guild with my 26th level cappy, so was busy with quite a few things as I hadn't really crafted much with the character. While there and busy with things; including farming some ingredients; real farming, I was watching this hobbit at the oven cooking away. I don't usually check out other characters; really don't care, but this character was cooking none stop for the 45minutes I was busy there. yes, 45minutes isn't long when you are cooking for a group, but out of curiosity I checked out the character, 52ed level warden. Ya, so? In 8th level armor. I also noted the person had done the bounders bags and had the out riders pocket and universal tools.

Now why is this so funny? I don't know, maybe I find a 52nd level warden that has obviously never left the shire amusing.

This is just an amusing anecdote not meant to kick anything off. But I would love to read some observations of other crafting alts; for amusement.

I rolled new toons on a different server to try out a special interests kin. I rolled 7 new toons (1 for each crafting guild). My explorer provided all the necessary mats and I watched as 7 different toons ALL hit level 30 from crafting XP. This was not crafting for kinnies or stacks of food to use when raiding... this was just progressing so I could get max guild rep/crafting for the best recipes. I can see how toons could hit their 50s and beyond crafting over time.

Other than the silly XP mechanic... I don't see any issues with all the variety of ways toons tend to appear in game. In fact, if you were able to inspect my level 85s recently, they would have all been naked since I sold all their jewelry, class tools, and everything not bolted down before I quit playing a few months ago.

On Maiar there is a character that went to the cap, only by cooking. It took months, but finally there was a big party for all that donated to keep this character going. Currently this character is on hibernation, but might come back after Helms Deep is out.

Greetings, Polymachos

what makes you think he never left the shire?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000164a87/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

In Peter Jackson's LOTR movies, remember the surly-looking old hobbit street cleaner sweeping the street when Frodo & co set out and giving them a grumpy dirty look? And all the way at the end of the third film, the same street cleaner sweeping the street giving the same dirty look. Must be a level-capped crafting alt
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

I've always thought the idea of adding character leveling exp for crafting was stupid. However like a lot of things I find stupid, I do not fault players for using it since it is there.

In fact just because a person has leveled by crafting does not mean they are someone who is intentionally abusing a game feature. If that was part of the game when I first started I'm sure a couple of my early crafters would have leveled to max level just from crafting. My WC was max WC for a couple of years before he hit level 15. He used to process all my ore as well. So under current game mechanics he would have hit max level before I ever played him.

Quote Originally Posted by devintownsend View Post
    Did you not read his post? Is there nothing in his post to suggest to you that the character in question has lived at the crafting area. If the warden is a hobbit it would be easy to assume he never left the shire, if not a hobbit he was at least born away from the shire. Someone wearing level 8 gear has most likely not done any quests past level 8. Most people will update to any better gear that comes their way. So it is a logical assumption that the toon in question did quests the first day in the starter area then decided to go make him a cook and that is where he has staid.
    Last edited by Gandie2; Sep 28 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Crafting xp has it's upside and it's downside.

Upside: as a solo player, there are times when I really need to gain a few lvls to be able to handle some areas/quests. Depending on the craft, this can be an easy way to do it.

Downside: Sometimes when I have to craft a bunch of stuff, I end up lvling faster than I want to.

I kind of wish we had an option to toggle off craft xp........

Not unusual anymore. I made one character on Silverlode that does festivals, tasks, collecting and crafting only. And no quests other than crafting and festival ones. She is around level 35 so far.
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Quote Originally Posted by devintownsend View Post
    Well how far you going to get in 8th level armor? So maybe he went to Thorin hall that was not the OP's point. The point was more then likely other then a few festivals he made it to 52 level and never did much more then cook.

This has always been a big complaint of mine, I used to have westfold crafter just sitting at 20th level as I always ran them up back in the day to get riding while I was VIP,

Then when I felt like leveling that toon I could just check his quest log and pick up right where I left off and start playing them. U can't do that anymore.

This becomes a real problem when one of these craft alts comes out of the closet and shows up in Moria. They craft them some at level gear and head out with no deed done and u get stuck with one of these no skill character in your party. Phuiuu and to think to get a warden like that. Of your main tank in a instance really bits. I have hated craft Xp since the day it started as it ruined so my of my characters.

I have lots a characters Just like this one here but mine are still 20th level as I had to stop using them. I have been waiting a year now for a account wide XP disable to fix this problem but it looks like now the game will shut down before I ever see that ;-(
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxie View Post
    Crafting xp has it's upside and it's downside.

Upside: as a solo player, there are times when I really need to gain a few lvls to be able to handle some areas/quests. Depending on the craft, this can be an easy way to do it.

Downside: Sometimes when I have to craft a bunch of stuff, I end up lvling faster than I want to.

I kind of wish we had an option to toggle off craft xp........

Really I have never seen the up side I spend more time doing old grey deeds then playing since Craft XP and the Festivals got so much XP. I used to VIP my account every 3 to 4 months to unlock it and get riding for all my alts. Can't so that anymore either. there is just to much free XP in the game.

They added all that extra XP I never wanted! Now you get to pay 595 to disable it. I been fighting here in the forum for a year now to be them to put in the XP disable toggle but they just refuse
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

While I usually dislike crafting XP and have bought a couple of Stones of the Tortoise to block unwanted XP progress, I've found a use for it this week: noob grinding for the Premium Helm's Deep lottery.

I've tried a number of 0-10 leveling strategies. My best is 0-6 in half an hour to get through the intro, then another half hour (mostly AFK) to get to 10.

Does anyone do that process faster than 0-10 in one hour?

P.S. That's on a new server with just the silver earned in the intro.
    Last edited by Tuco; Sep 27 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

I've 4 crafting alts that are all around ~30 that have never left their crafting points. My burg cook is almost ready to do the 39 class quests in carn dum, but he's never left MD/Hobbiton farms.

Getting a level 8 LM to Rivendell was eventful though (pre-gandalf port)
    Elendilmir: Southern Cross Kinship
    Freeps: Scruffodian; Scruffbeard; Scruffeldor; Scruffynerf; Scruffwulf; Scruffystone; Scruffiness; Scruffphor; Scruffward
    Creeps: Frothrat; Frothfight; Frothed; Frothleg; Frothnakh; Frothface

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    While I usually dislike crafting XP and have bought a couple of Stones of the Tortoise to block unwanted XP progress, I've found a use for it this week: noob grinding for the Premium Helm's Deep lottery.

I've tried a number of 0-10 leveling strategies. My best is 0-6 in half an hour to get through the intro, then another half hour (mostly AFK) to get to 10.

Does anyone do that process faster than 0-10 in one hour?

P.S. That's on a new server with just the silver earned in the intro.
    Ya ok that would work for that but truthfully I think your wasting your time to grind alts out for HD Lotto there is only 1 winner Per Server. My wife and I have 5 accounts between the 2 of us and about 300 character on about 12 to 13 servers. We did not win the last one and mostly won't win the next. To waist a hour to get just one entry for the lotto. It would be faster to go out and mow a few lawns and buy the thing and that way you would at least know that after you spent the hours mowing you would have something.

The chance to win the HD lotto is about the same as the state Lotto you might be better to spend a buck you know the old Dollar and a dream then when you win the state Lotto you could just By Lotro *LOL*

Ok but I must admit I do the same thing on my Mini's and my captains to run them up from 8 to 10 so they get the herald and war speech.

I also do it anytime I am short on common flax so I only have to make a 10th level gear set. but I am sure I could and do just do that old school to and just do the first 2 levels with drop gear.

That's not enough to make it worth the problems that craft XP causes. I have to buy a few of the XP disable pocket items too but the problem is I have to many characters I would have to win the state lotto to buy them for all my characters :-( I just not willing to spend more to disable XP then I did for all the expansions and content combined.

I know its a lousy idea but why could thy not have at least offer a account wide version. I mean they have a account wide riding skill account wide faster horse riding *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerf View Post
    I've 4 crafting alts that are all around ~30 that have never left their crafting points. My burg cook is almost ready to do the 39 class quests in carn dum, but he's never left MD/Hobbiton farms.

Getting a level 8 LM to Rivendell was eventful though (pre-gandalf port)
    The easy way to take care of that now days is make a free account hunter class on the same server power level it crating and doing festivals and there now you have a taxi *LOL*

Now that's a good way make use of 2 things that are useless

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    Ya ok that would work for that but truthfully I think your wasting your time to grind alts out for HD Lotto there is only 1 winner Per Server. My wife and I have 5 accounts between the 2 of us and about 300 character on about 12 to 13 servers. We did not win the last one and mostly won't win the next. To waist a hour to get just one entry for the lotto. It would be faster to go out and mow a few lawns and buy the thing and that way you would at least know that after you spent the hours mowing you would have something.
    I take your point, and yes, my chance of winning is of course negligible, even though each of the new characters was on a different server where I wasn't currently represented. However, your logic taken to its logical conclusion would have me working all the time and not playing computer games at all: after all, my money could be maximized by (derp) working instead of playing. However, if I did that I wouldn't be playing.

When I play games I'm not always trying to maximize my dollars, or collect as much gold as possible, or level as fast or as slow as possible -- sometimes I'm just looking around and exploring or trying to beat a challenge as efficiently as possible or finding as clever a node harvesting track as I can. And in this case, it's seeing how fast I can get from 0 to 10!

I have to buy a few of the XP disable pocket items too but the problem is I have to many characters I would have to win the state lotto to buy them for all my characters :-( I just not willing to spend more to disable XP then I did for all the expansions and content combined.

I know its a lousy idea but why could thy not have at least offer a account wide version. I mean they have a account wide riding skill account wide faster horse riding *lol*
    I think it's a great idea. I've bought a couple of the individual Stones, but would probably get the account-wide disabler option if it were available. I did buy the account-wide +78% riding skill, despite having a couple of Steed of the Hunter on different servers, as well as other 68% ponies (and I wish I'd waited until this week when it was 20% off!!).

Maybe you should take that idea up with the Player Council. I'm sure there's not as much market for it as for the account-wide riding, but there has been a very vocal constituency for something like it for years, which is why Turbine implemented the Stone of the Tortoise. I imagine they're crunching numbers all the time to see when things like this will make sense.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    In Peter Jackson's LOTR movies, remember the surly-looking old hobbit street cleaner sweeping the street when Frodo & co set out and giving them a grumpy dirty look? And all the way at the end of the third film, the same street cleaner sweeping the street giving the same dirty look. Must be a level-capped crafting alt

I crack up every I see that Hobbit!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    ...as cooking none stop for the 45minutes,... 52ed level warden.... In 8th level armor. I also noted the person had done the bounders bags and had the out riders pocket and universal tools....
    You certainly like to pass judgements! Why it bugs you that he cook for 45 minutes? he may have a army of alts to feed.
    • Why it concern you that he is level 52? Every person level up at his/her own pace
    • Why it wories you that he is wearing level 8 armour. If is a crafting alt he don't need more armour all he do is feed his mains.
    • Why you think he got out riders pocket and universal tools farming bounders bags? riders pocket can be optained from ROR expansion preorder & store while universal tools from store, lootboxes & hobbits gifts

At end why you mind so much what the other player do? He is playing without brake any rule or hurt anyone, on the way he enjoy it.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    You certainly like to pass judgements! Why it bugs you that he cook for 45 minutes? he may have a army of alts to feed.
    • Why it concern you that he is level 52? Every person level up at his/her own pace
    • Why it wories you that he is wearing level 8 armour. If is a crafting alt he don't need more armour all he do is feed his mains.
    • Why you think he got out riders pocket and universal tools farming bounders bags? riders pocket can be optained from ROR expansion preorder & store while universal tools from store, lootboxes & hobbits gifts

At end why you mind so much what the other player do? He is playing without brake any rule or hurt anyone, on the way he enjoy it.

The OP did not mind what the other player was doing. He just found it amusing:

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Now why is this so funny? I don't know, maybe I find a 52nd level warden that has obviously never left the shire amusing.

This is just an amusing anecdote not meant to kick anything off. But I would love to read some observations of other crafting alts; for amusement.
    It's like the time I logged in after and upgrade and did not notice that my Guardian's heavy armor had been unequipped because the upgrade raised its level requirement. My cloak blocked my view. I ran out into the Fields of Fornost and fought wights for an old crafting quest. Man they were hitting me hard. Finished the quest, checked inventory for something, and noticed all my armor sitting there. That was funny. The other players at Mincham's camp were laughing along with me.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

The OP never said it bugged him, never said he was worried about the armour.

He found it funny with a lvl 52 toon that's never left starting areas. I must say I agree. I don't find it wrong, or bad, or worrisome, or anything negative. I find it amusing. It makes me chuckle when I see something like it.

I hate having to quote myself " but this character was cooking none stop for the 45minutes I was busy there. yes, 45minutes isn't long when you are cooking for a group, "
    None the less you are laboring under a misconception. There is no argument here other then the one you are trying to start. I thought nothing more of it then it was amusing period
    I was not concerned by it, I was not worried by it, I assumed the pocket and tools was from the bounders event, that had no bad connotations, just a meaningless assumption. So why do you seem to have issues with that?

an·ec·dote
    noun \?a-nik-?d?t\

: a short story about an interesting or funny event or occurrence.