We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Suggestion to fix the lagg

Yo all,
    First of all my config:
    1. Processor: I7-3370k @3.50 GHz | 8GB ram - 1800 | 250 GB SSD | Radeon HD 7900 3gb |
    2. connection: download: 10mb/s | updaload: 2mb/s
    3. playing from Germany. on Snowbourn
    My problem is: Lagg when i play higher then medium grafic settings. Even in medium settings i lagg.
    That all being said, i want to ask Turbine/Sapience:
    Did you guys consider bringing 1-2 severs back to UK?
    I remember, when codemasters was there, i was playing in very high settings in raids and didnt even had to know what this word : "lagg" means.
    Since the servers are all in USA i´m forced to play in medium grafics and a lot of seetings taken off and still the lagg is there.
    I´m not an expert but: isn´t the lagg happening on the path between us and youre servers?
    I´m not asking how many players are still playing form outside USA, but still , Sapience is it possible tell me/us if you guys are thinking/planning to bring 1-2 servers back to UK/Europe?
    I´m here 5 years now and i´ve enjoyed then game sofar and i wanna enjoy it in the future also. bought HD also. When i think of BB and a lot of adds coming then one think is sure...i will lagg.
    Pretty please Sapience, an answer would make me happy, nomatter how hte answer looks like.

P.s: sry for my english...

Ty vm
    Micky | Snowbourn

As "lag" is also affecting US players (as well as not affecting all EU players) just relocating servers won't solve the problem (even if you ignore the Turbine statement that it isn't network related and rather a problem in the client software).

And if it actually helped, it would be completely unfair to those non-US players whose servers were not relocated (and US players on moved servers), even with offering free server transfers.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Sure, US players have lag as well, but Europeans have more, that's just the nature of the Internet.
    Relocating the servers would fix the "standard" lag, but not the server lag (or the stuttering on client side). It would definitly help for the game to run smoother.

Every game lags, some more, some less, but every game does, there is no exception. The question is how the client handles it. In the case of Lotro the clients performance is miserable.

I don't know much about lag or computers but can it really be because of where the servers are? I live in Europe and I have no lag at all. I can play on max settings no matter what I'm doing. My nextdoor neighbour however, has lag.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    I don't know much about lag or computers but can it really be because of where the servers are?
    Yes. Depends of how good application is. Usually within the country the latency (time to send a packet and receive an answer) is several milliseconds. Latency across the ocean (between America and Europa) is about 50-100 milliseconds.

If application (I'm not talking about LOTRO here) is badly designed, it may just try to send a packet to server and wait for answer several times in a raw.
    If it needs to send 100 packets then it'll take 100*10ms = 1 second within US and 100*100 ms = 10 seconds when between US and Europa.

Good application should try to compact 100 small packets in a single big packet and send it at once. But that's not always possible and it requires a lot of careful coding I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    I don't know much about lag or computers but can it really be because of where the servers are? I live in Europe and I have no lag at all. I can play on max settings no matter what I'm doing. My nextdoor neighbour however, has lag.
    Well, the thing is how people define "lag".
    Traditionally lag refers to in-game delays (mainly in shooters) caused by network latency, and that can very well be caused by server location, as network data travels very fast, but still a longer distance requires more time.
    When people talk about "Lag" in Lotro however they refer to many different types of "hickups" in game performance with a wild array of sources. The most problematic "lag" problems here are likely not caused by network latency directly, but by problems in the client software (which could be amplified by network latency). So server location may have an impact on some "lag" problems, but it's not the solution to "lag" in general.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

There's a myriad of reasons, many interconnected, why one might experience 'lag'.

The physical location of the server is just one of them, but personally I think it's one of rather marginal influence. In other words: I think it's not the bottleneck you think it is.

The coding of the client, the quirks of one's own ISP, the quirks of Turbine's ISP, the quirks of whatever/whoever sends the signal across the digital highway, the NSA peeking in on my gameplay (I know they do! they read this thread now too *waves*), playing on wifi (guilty as charged LOL), everything else including your smartphones and tables continually yabbayabbaing across the Intarwebz as well.

The point is if you keep your computer up to date and make sure you have a suitable quality ISP, and if Turbine keeps monitoring and finetuning the client and ensuring the quality of their hardware and ISP, that's really just about all we can do. And we'll still have lag because some spacehamster warped a solar blurblob into the wobbly thingajamajiggly.