We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Epic Quests built-in VS. Quest Packs to buy in store

I am currently a lvl16 Dwarf and I finished the Prologue and also the shared Dwarf/Elf Prologue.
    I am now doing Book I

Volume I - The Shadows of Angmar
    Book I - Stirrings in the Darkness
    currently on: Chapter 8: Master of the Wood

What is the difference between this and the following Quest Pack in the Store for 3995TP:

Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle

Unlock 1000+ Quests in the epic regions of Eriador!

Bundle Includes:
    Quest Pack: Angmar
    Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    Quest Pack: Eregion
    Quest Pack: Evendim
    Quest Pack: Forochel
    Quest Pack: Misty Mountains

How does one fit the Built in Epic Quest of "Shadows of Angmar Book 1 and these Quests Packs?
    Also, Book II of Epic Quests is Moria? How is this played when one owns the Expansion "MInes of Moria"?

Quote Originally Posted by Davingrim View Post
    I am currently a lvl16 Dwarf and I finished the Prologue and also the shared Dwarf/Elf Prologue.
    I am now doing Book I

Volume I - The Shadows of Angmar
    Book I - Stirrings in the Darkness
    currently on: Chapter 8: Master of the Wood

What is the difference between this and the following Quest Pack in the Store for 3995TP:

Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle

Unlock 1000+ Quests in the epic regions of Eriador!

Bundle Includes:
    Quest Pack: Angmar
    Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    Quest Pack: Eregion
    Quest Pack: Evendim
    Quest Pack: Forochel
    Quest Pack: Misty Mountains

How does one fit the Built in Epic Quest of "Shadows of Angmar Book 1 and these Quests Packs?
    Also, Book II of Epic Quests is Moria? How is this played when one owns the Expansion "MInes of Moria"?

There are several different types of quests. For the moment I will ignore class quests, festival quests, etc. and look at the two main types:
    The quests that are part of the Epic storyline and the regional quests.
    The Epic quests are explicitly identified as such and are not tied to a specific region. All the existing Epic quests are available to all players, regardless of subscription status and regardless of which expansions/questpacks you have.
    The regional quests make up most of the quests in the game. To be able to do them you need to have the corresponding questpack. The questpacks for Ered Luin, Shire, Bree-land, and Lone Lands are free for everybody.
    The questpacks that are part of the expansions (Moria, Mirkwood, Dunland/Isengard, Rohan) need to be purchased (either just the questpack or the whole expansion) before you can do any of the regional quests there.
    The remaining questpacks (Evendim, Trollshaws, Lothlorien, Forochel, etc.) are available to if you are VIP (have an active subscription) or can be purchased separately (for Premium/F2P players).

The bundle you mentioned ('Eriador Bundle') will give you all the listed questpacks so you can do the regional quests in those areas. If you are VIP you don't need it (and should not even be able to see it in the store.)

Book II of the Epic takes place mostly in Moria, except the final volume of Book II is in Mirkwood. There are also some visits to Lothlorien needed. You don't need any expansion to do Book II.
    There are also a ton of other (non-epic) quests in Moria, Lothlorien and Mirkwood. To do those you will need the corresponding Expansions/questpacks.

(Note: While all the Epic quests in the game so far have been free to everybody this will apparently not be the case with the upcoming Helm's Deep expansion. To do the Epic quests there you will need that expansion, but since you are only level 16 now it will be some time before you need to start worrying about that.)

So, the Book II "Moria" does not take the place of the content that is available when one buys the expansion "Mines of Moria"? Are they complementary to each other or is it redundant to go through the freely available Moria Book II and then buy the Mines of Moria Expansion?

To my mind, buying a quest pack is never redundant with the epic story. Usually, the latter alone will not suffice to take your char to a level where it would be advisable to follow the epic story to the next region. You'll encounter such a gap after you completed the epic story in the Lone Lands. If you did not gain additional XP, e.g. from doing other quests in that region or run skirmishes (available once you hit 20), you'd better not enter Evendim (or the Troll Shaws or whatever region the epic tries to lure you into).

Furthermore, as ertr wrote, up to Helms Deep the epic quests are free to everyone and thus not part of the quest packs or expansions. That is, you won't pay for something that you've already played through if you buy a quest pack.

Browse the forums, you'll find some threads on good quest packs to buy -- "good" in the sense of quest flow, level range covered, scenery, I guess.

So, the Book II "Moria" does not take the place of the content that is available when one buys the expansion "Mines of Moria"? Are they complementary to each other or is it redundant to go through the freely available Moria Book II and then buy the Mines of Moria Expansion?
    They are complementary to each other. While Book II of the Epic story mostly takes place in Moria and will take you through most of the locations inside Moria, the quests that are part of the Epic are only a small portion of all the quests that can be done inside Moria. For most of the other quests you need to have the Mines of Moria expansion (or the Moria questpack).
    If you were to do only the Epic and skip all other quests you would almost certainly at some point find yourself to be too low level to be able to continue with the Epic.

It is generally best (with some exceptions) to do the Epic and non-Epic quests in a region in parallell. (One notable exception is the Evendim region. The regional quests there are for level 30-40 (and it is generally considered the best region for that level-range) but the Epic quests there are for level 50.)

You mentioned that you were partway through Book I of the Epic. If you open your questlog (press 'L') and look at both the quests you are currently doing, as well as the quests you already have completed, you should see that some of the quests come under the heading 'Epic - prologue' or 'Epic - Book I', but most of the quests come under other headings. You will find more or less the same proportion of Epic vs non-Epic quests in all regions.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    The Epic quests are explicitly identified as such and are not tied to a specific region. All the existing Epic quests are available to all players, regardless of subscription status and regardless of which expansions/questpacks you have.
    This situation will change when the Helms Deep expansion launches. Starting with Helms Deep content and going forward the Epic Line is tied to ownership of the content pack. It is no longer free to all account types.

All account types will still have full access to the all Epic Line content released prior to Helms Deep.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

The Epic quest series moves you through the storyline of the War of the Ring. You start out in Bree in September, but it's December when you leave Rivendell and spring by the time you reach Rohan. (Except in Wildermore... but you'll find out why.)

The non-Epic quests you unlock as part of a quest pack or expansion quest pack are other quests that tell you what's going on in the area. In Bree they are dealing with waves of brigands unlike they've seen before. In the North Downs, the dead are not resting in peace. In Evendim, they've got the dead coming in from the North Downs and evil cult worshippers raising the dead in the ruins of Annuminas. Quests ask for your help with problems large and small.

In addition, the quest/expansion packs unlock deeds in the zone. Deeds are accomplishments for various things like finding points of interest on the landscape, executing skills, killing foes, gaining reputation, completing objectives, turning in tasks, etc. Deed rewards often include Turbine points, and may grant traits, titles, or other prizes that drop into your inventory out of nowhere.

Non-Epic quests are your best and most pleasant means of earning experience and advancing your character. They also provide you with equipment and other goods. You already have the quest packs for Ered Luin, the Shire, Breeland, and the Lonelands. This will take you to approximately level 30. The Eriador bundle picks up at level 30 and has about twice the amount of quests you need to get to level 50, where Moria starts. You even get Eneidwaith, which I think is now a level 58 - 65 zone suitable for your post-Moria and pre-Isengard questing. (Sorry I'm not sure; the last time I quested there it was a level-cap 65 zone.)

Hopefully this clears up the confusion. Basically, selling you quest packs is how Turbine asks you to pay for the game. I hope you feel that it's worth the money (or time spent earning TPs in game) that it takes to do this.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    The Epic quest series moves you through the storyline of the War of the Ring. You start out in Bree in September, but it's December when you leave Rivendell and spring by the time you reach Rohan. (Except in Wildermore... but you'll find out why.)

The non-Epic quests you unlock as part of a quest pack or expansion quest pack are other quests that tell you what's going on in the area. In Bree they are dealing with waves of brigands unlike they've seen before. In the North Downs, the dead are not resting in peace. In Evendim, they've got the dead coming in from the North Downs and evil cult worshippers raising the dead in the ruins of Annuminas. Quests ask for your help with problems large and small.

In addition, the quest/expansion packs unlock deeds in the zone. Deeds are accomplishments for various things like finding points of interest on the landscape, executing skills, killing foes, gaining reputation, completing objectives, turning in tasks, etc. Deed rewards often include Turbine points, and may grant traits, titles, or other prizes that drop into your inventory out of nowhere.

Non-Epic quests are your best and most pleasant means of earning experience and advancing your character. They also provide you with equipment and other goods. You already have the quest packs for Ered Luin, the Shire, Breeland, and the Lonelands. This will take you to approximately level 30. The Eriador bundle picks up at level 30 and has about twice the amount of quests you need to get to level 50, where Moria starts. You even get Eneidwaith, which I think is now a level 58 - 65 zone suitable for your post-Moria and pre-Isengard questing. (Sorry I'm not sure; the last time I quested there it was a level-cap 65 zone.)

Hopefully this clears up the confusion. Basically, selling you quest packs is how Turbine asks you to pay for the game. I hope you feel that it's worth the money (or time spent earning TPs in game) that it takes to do this.

Great explanation! Thanks Shukar.