We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Quest Feedback: Baggins' Birthday

The Good:

- Amusing! Loved the stories and getting to talk to Bilbo again.
    - It's always nice to be reminded of Hobbit lore which is what makes the Lord of the Rings so charming.

The Bad:

- Seeing Frodo in Rivendell again when he's supposed to be gone. Surely if you are past the fellowship departure a different character could start the quest chain otherwise it's a major plot inconsistency.
    - Needing to wait hours to complete the quest chain waiting for story tellers to become active. This is just bad quest design and provides no sense of achievement that one was "patient" enough to complete this quest. I hope we never see this kind of quest design again. I'd rather do a fetch and deliver quest than this and that's saying something. An option could have been needing to hand in so many bounder token before some story tellers open up, or simply have nothing baring them from telling their story. It's nice just to hear the stories and wouldn't diminish the quest reward, although given the current state of the quest chain rewarding you with Bilbo's hourglass would be more appropriate!

I have heard all of the horror stories with this quest since I've come back and have no plans on even attempting to do this quest. Quite frankly, I can't wait until the little pop-up disappears each time I log in or level up.

Sad state of affairs I might add.
    Zoofro Fireloins - Level 85 Dwarf Hunter (Active) - Landroval
    Zoofro Healfro - Level 64 Dwarf Runekeeper (Inactive) - Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Zoofro View Post
    I have heard all of the horror stories with this quest since I've come back and have no plans on even attempting to do this quest. Quite frankly, I can't wait until the little pop-up disappears each time I log in or level up.

Sad state of affairs I might add.
    Actually I did the entire quest line and really enjoyed it!!! Don't sit around for hours waiting for npc's to activate, there are generally 4 random npc's active per hour, at the top of the hour it changes to 4 news ones. So check back once per hour and you're good to go...this should take you less than 5 minutes each over the course of 3 or 4 hours!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001ae755/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Gwinthalion View Post
    Actually I did the entire quest line and really enjoyed it!!! Don't sit around for hours waiting for npc's to activate, there are generally 4 random npc's active per hour, at the top of the hour it changes to 4 news ones. So check back once per hour and you're good to go...this should take you less than 5 minutes each over the course of 3 or 4 hours!
    I think that is all that was missing - a bit more of an explanation so people don't get exasperated standing around for 45 min to see if an NPC will talk. Like you, once I understood how it worked, I found it enjoyable and not much work - though my luck of the draw in getting the last story from one Robin Smallburrow was not good LOL.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

I too found the stories to be rather amusing and hobbitish. Nicely done, Turbine.

The waiting was somewhat annoying but not too onerous. I would, however, question the wisdom of making success time-based when the birthday event is only a few days long. Doing this during a 2-3 week festival would be rather less frustrating.