We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: The Nazgul

Hybrid View

The Nazgul

In one of the chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring (don't remember which one, but I think it's "The Ring Goes South"), Gandalf says that the Nazgul cannot be destroyed that way (referencing the flooding of the Ford), and that the power of their master is in them, that they stand and fall by him.

I've always wondered if this meant that the Witch King could theoretically be brought back if Sauron had been given the chance...would that have been possible?
    I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again.

I don't have the books here with me, but I do recall that when the Witch-King died he let out a blood curdling scream and "his voice was never heard again in that age of the world", or words to that effect. I've always been intrigued by that, and it's always been my belief that if Sauron himself had survived he may have been able to resurrect any of the Nazgul who had fallen in combat. Perhaps Tolkien may have said something more definitive on the subject, but I don't recall ever reading anything.

I have nothing to back this up but my opinion.
    But as long as Sauron has the ring that was tied to the Witch King/Nazgul, It very well may be possible to bring him back. But the question would be, How much of his old strength and power of terror would he still have ? Or would he just be a shade of his formal self ?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f21fc/01006/signature.png]Saeloeth[/charsig]

"I don't know half of you half as well as i should like; and i like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnn View Post
    I have nothing to back this up but my opinion.
    But as long as Sauron has the ring that was tied to the Witch King/Nazgul, It very well may be possible to bring him back. But the question would be, How much of his old strength and power of terror would he still have ? Or would he just be a shade of his formal self ?
    I imagined him being reduced to a shade after he fell - just an evil spirit who couldn't take any sort of form. But the thing is, once the Nine Rings lost their power after the One was destroyed, shouldn't death then claim what was left of him? There'd be nothing keeping him 'neither living nor dead' any more, so it seems to me he ought to become just plain dead. But really, it's up to each of us to imagine whatever suits our imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    I imagined him being reduced to a shade after he fell - just an evil spirit who couldn't take any sort of form. But the thing is, once the Nine Rings lost their power after the One was destroyed, shouldn't death then claim what was left of him? There'd be nothing keeping him 'neither living nor dead' any more, so it seems to me he ought to become just plain dead. But really, it's up to each of us to imagine whatever suits our imaginations.
    My imagination says the WK changed his name to Juan and is now happily married and living somewhere on Tenerife.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    My imagination says the WK changed his name to Juan and is now happily married and living somewhere on Tenerife.
    Selling dodgy timeshares, perhaps? That'd be suitably evil

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Well I do know another called Alberto, in Mexico city my dad...

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    I meant while Sauron still had the Ring...I know that after it was destroyed more than likely the Nine entered the world of the dead instead of being alive and dead at the same time.

I've always just thought that, if given the chance, Sauron could've brought back the Witch King while he still had his power or if he regained the Ring. I suppose it's all up to imagination though.
    I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again.