We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What is the difference between EN-RP and EN-RE?

And of course, their difference between any other server.
    I have toons on Imladris and Bradywine, but I would like to experience more of role-playing thing. Is that what is happening on Laurelin and Landroval?
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

EN-RP means it is a Roleplay server. Turbine enforces a more strict rule-set than on normal servers (http://support.turbine.com/link/port...les-and-Policy).
    EN-RE means it is a Roleplay Encouraged server. Turbine does not enforce a more strict rule-set; however, most players treat it just like a Roleplay server.

Note that most players on Laurelin are in European time zones and most players on Landroval are in North American time zones.

EN-RP = English - Role Playing Preferred

EN-RE = English - Role Playing Encourgaged

The big difference is Laurelin is a former Codemaster's server from Europe where one server was set up under rules that does not allow for non-RP type names and activities. While you don't have to RP there, you can't make names that interfere with the RP immersion of the other players. Thus your name can be changed simply because you called yourself something like KillsOrcs or PepsiLover.

Landroval is one of the original US servers and Turbine decided not to enforce RP rules on any server. However the community designated Landroval as an UNofficial RP server. When Turbine took over the Europeon servers, they added the RE designation to differentiate Landroval from Laurelin and that while RP is encouraged, it is not enforced there.
    [CENTER][B][I][COLOR=yellow]LOTRO proves that Middle Earth is Hobbit Forming![/COLOR][/I][/B][/CENTER]

OK, thanks! I will think on this
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

I only know Landroval, so I'll add to the above posters by saying that Landroval offers a nice introduction to light event-based RP. There are lots of events featuring music and storytelling, where anyone can gather, speak a little bit in character, etc. without any pressure to RP or not. You can just go and watch and get a feel for how people interact while being a little bit in-character. There is a wide spectrum of RP types from lightweight (i.e. hobbits like pie, that's all you need to know) to hardcore (your character's story is heavily researched, actions carefully scripted), and every possibility in between. All you need is an idea of the character you'd like to play, and you can run with it however you'd like.

On Landroval most obvious RP activity happens in Bree: as you walk through town you're likely to see groups of people having conversation in character about where they are from, what brings them to Bree, what adventures they've had or missions they are about to undertake, etc. In the Pony you'll generally see someone strumming an instrument with a few folks around sipping a pint and making polite conversation while enjoying the music (and in the back rooms you'll find a couple enjoying each other's company, along with the occasional vampire melodrama, but we don't judge, hehe).

As others have said, the RP servers like Laurelin have specific rules spelled out in the roleplay section of the forums. Landroval has attracted a wide variety of players due to its reputation as an active server, so you'll find loads of folks who don't do any RP at all (and we have the character names to prove it lol!).

I'd recommend looking at the server forums for each, and posting any questions you have. From what I've heard of Laurelin it's just as friendly and helpful as Landroval, so I'm sure people on both servers will be more than willing to help you find the right fit. Good luck!

I've seen more roleplaying on Landroval, but Larurelin is far more friendlier. (Landroval is probably the worst server I've ever played on in any game when it comes to player friendliness)

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    I've seen more roleplaying on Landroval, but Larurelin is far more friendlier. (Landroval is probably the worst server I've ever played on in any game when it comes to player friendliness)
    Hmmm after creating an alt on Landroval for Weatherstock i found it nice and friendly there so i it's now kinda my second server where i play regular on.
    Nothing here matters.

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    Landroval used to be better. It was quite friendly when it was packed.
    These days it's rather sparse, and as a result rather cold and unwelcoming.

Still, if you find the right people it's a nice place.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002c32f/01008/signature.png]Thaeryn[/charsig]