We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Developer Diary : Lore-master Class Changes in Helm’s Deep

Hey folks! I’m Deviled_Egg and I’m going to fill you in on some of the goodies the Lore-master will be receiving in the Helm’s Deep expansion. The Lore-master will feature three distinct specializations, each one catering to a different play-style.

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/article...E2%80%99s-deep

with most of the classes I am not too sure what to think about the changes.
    A DPS traited Loremaster sounds pretty damn potent on paper. Makes me think about how the USS Nevada finally went down. She survived Pearl Harbor and the testing of two atom bombs after the war. Pity the war department didn't have a dps loremaster. Wouldn't have needed anything else to win the second world war.
    A cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about- The Master

many lm i know were worried about having thier class nerfted..after reading this..ohh boy i imagine how many threads creep player will create , saying LM TOO OP, NERFT LM AOE,LM THE WILL WARDENS .......really it feels that they will be the next jack of all trades class..tanking pets amd more aoe ticks ....well finally this is out so less waiting for my beloved mini one to come.
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

This is the first class write up and in fact the only thing I have read about Helms Deep that sounded good. Everything else -- well I'll just keep it to myself. Hopefully it lives up to what is written though whether I ever try it out remains to be seen.
    Noldor of Arkenstone

I'm curious about the bog lurker. Maybe I missed the answer to this but will the bog lurker only be under the Keeper of the Animals specialization or can it be used with any specialization? Because right now it requires the legendary skill Friend of Nature that goes along with the Keeper of the Animals trait line, so that makes me think it will be gated behind that specialization but just checking. I love my bog lurker, so I'm particularly curious about this. The rest of the information I'll wait until getting a chance to play. It's hard to judge what it will be like, but it sounds interesting I guess. I'm still not thrilled about it though. :/
    Last edited by jnv7594; Sep 24 2013 at 05:53 PM.

I'm excited for these class changes. Viable KoA is what I've always wanted with my LM. AM is boring and red line has always been a blast. Although I didn't read anything about sticky gourd...is my second favorite skill in the game going away (shing-shing is first).

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    I'm excited for these class changes. Viable KoA is what I've always wanted with my LM. AM is boring and red line has always been a blast. Although I didn't read anything about sticky gourd...is my second favorite skill in the game going away (shing-shing is first).
    I agree. Love, love sticky gourd. Now that you bring this up, I'm curious about it too since it wasn't mentioned.

I am overjoyed that yellow line will be able to heal (some amount of at least) Morale! Woooooooooooo! I expected power sharing and debuffing to be included there as well.

I hope to my bones that the (Ancient Master) LM will retain its staple "disable", a long duration low cooldown Daze. Please, oh Eru please...

Lightning Storm is now an AoE skill, and no longer requires targets to have the Ancient Craft Debuff on them.
    Lightning Storm is ALREADY an AOE skill, with 5 targets. Is it gaining additional targets? What about the change skill makes it more an 'AoE' than it IS now?

It's the attention to details about our EXISTING classes that's going to help it continue to feel more like the character we've leveled up than a new one entirely.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

All of these sound very intriguing. I am generally a Keeper of Animals LM, but with multiple spec slots I think I will be trying out all of the lines from time to time.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

For anyone curious, we actually have a picture of what the LM trees look like - probably going to change, but better than nothing.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/lotro/helms-deep-interview (scroll down a little ways down the page). It's been for out for a little bit, but I'll throw it here.

Lurker and Eagle look like they require some points in the Blue line.
    Crickhollow Server:
    Evenhald: L85 Minstrel Armaius: L76 Loremaster. Gaheriad: L81 Hunter Malhion: L74 Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Lightning Storm is ALREADY an AOE skill, with 5 targets.
    I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it, Crell, lol.

The skills Fire-lore and Frost-lore hinder an enemy’s ability to defend from Physical and Tactical attacks respectively.
    Is this a misunderstanding or will Fire-Lore and Frost-Lore no longer debuff melee or tactical damage but rather defence? Will there be other ways to debuff damage from enemies?
    In my opinion there are already enough skills that increase incoming damage directly (e.g. for now Reveal Weakness, Telling Mark, Oathbreaker's Shame, Fall to Fire etc.) and many more indirect skills but not many that debuff damage (for now Disable, Fire-Lore, Frost-Lore, Wind-Lore) directly.

Does this mean players will be able to deal even greater amounts of damage while weakening enemies is nearly totally neglected?

Quote Originally Posted by jnv7594 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it, Crell, lol.
    I read it as, its a regular click-and-blast AoE skill like Gust of Wind or Cracked Earth. It hits x targets within y meters, and has a z meter range and probably less than a 5 min cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruili View Post
    Is this a misunderstanding or will Fire-Lore and Frost-Lore no longer debuff melee or tactical damage but rather defence? Will there be other ways to debuff damage from enemies?
    In my opinion there are already enough skills that increase incoming damage directly (e.g. for now Reveal Weakness, Telling Mark, Oathbreaker's Shame, Fall to Fire etc.) and many more indirect skills but not many that debuff damage (for now Disable, Fire-Lore, Frost-Lore, Wind-Lore) directly.

Does this mean players will be able to deal even greater amounts of damage while weakening enemies is nearly totally neglected?

The next few lines do go on to say how using different dps skills will generate different debuffs on the mobs like miss chance and attack duration. Sounds like debuffs might become more of an interactive thing rather than set it and forget it?

More on topic, yeah, it does sound like former debuffs might change to enhance incoming damage instead. Difficult to approach this stuff without knowing how other classes are changing as well, though. Those skills you mentioned from other classes might not even exist after the revamps, or get drastically changed like it sounds like LM skills are.
    85 LM Berewen, 85 Burg Balculus, 85 Guard Benferth

Quote Originally Posted by Thruili View Post

im no kind of expert but, if they neglecing weakening enemies ...must mean than minis and rk heals will be moar powerfull as to balance this kindn of lack?? -i jope so , im waiting for the last 3 diaries that are my played classes-
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

Once again, this is not a Developers Diary, detailing upcoming changes to a player character class.

It's more an initial design concept that should have been released months ago.

The changes may be wonderful, but we just don't know!

It's as if the devs are afraid to give players any hard details.

(They must have them, it's being tested in Beta)

"Sic' Em" ... we're getting lore and naming guidance from Xbox Live now? What's next, "pwnd stat" /sad

Real exited about these changes, especially about the Keeper of Animals.

One thing that looks nice:

The former skill, “Sign of the Wild: Rage” has been converted to a passive trait. Ranking this up will give permanent, passive bonuses to Attack Duration and Damage to your pets. Its sister skill, “Sign of the Wild: Protection” has received a similar treatment, and will significantly boost Morale and reduce Incoming Damage
    Also this souns neat:

Finally, the Legendary Skill for the Keeper of Animals, “Sic’ em!”, summons a host of animals to your side at once to swarm the enemy.
    This skill is a big problem for Lore Junkies (like me), and this almost sounds like a skill from GW2 which is not good for LOTRO. A name like say, Charge of Oromë (he was a hunter of the fell beasts of Melkor), would fit better.

The other lines look very good aswell, but KoA definately looks like it's getting the attention it deserves.
    Last edited by TJH-LOTRO; Sep 24 2013 at 06:34 PM.

On the revitalize your role page: the Lore-master can specialize in crowd control, healing and support, or damage dealing.

Diary says "The Ancient Master also has the ability to restore the Morale and Power of allies" in the introductory paragraph but neither the KoA nor the AM information talked about healing (just a group Power share on a DPS skill crit) at all.

So does pet line offer healing and support too? Or is yellow CC heal and support?
    [COLOR="#40E0D0"]Turbine does not give out rewards based on the profit factor; because rewards must be earned by completing content.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by icicles View Post
    "Sic' Em" ... we're getting lore and naming guidance from Xbox Live now? What's next, "pwnd stat" /sad
    I agree that the name needs to change. It sounds very inappropriate for a Tolkien title, not to mention inconsistent with other names Turbine has been using to date.

Hopefully it's just a placeholder name.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Quote Originally Posted by Belnavar View Post
    I agree that the name needs to change. It sounds very inappropriate for a Tolkien title, not to mention inconsistent with other names Turbine has been using to date.

Hopefully it's just a placeholder name.

-Bel
    I hope so, the dev team have been wonderful curators of the lore in that respect in the past; this one stands out like a sore thumb.

"Sic' em" sounds very un-Tolkien. Please don't go with the name "Sic 'em" when HD goes live

Otherwise this sounds like a huge improvement
    Co-Leader of The Osgiliath Guard, Arkenstone (ex Elendilmir)
    Osdor, Osdur, Osdrina, etc...

Before now I was rather apprehensive about the class revamps, but these changes seem mainly to be good. The new legendary skill sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm glad that they are expanding the frost-based attack skills more. It appears as though I'll still be able to (for the most part) keep my current play style and trait for damage with a hint of blue to keep my companion going. My only lament would be the culling of the 'Ents go to War' skill (Not sure if it is being removed, didn't see any mention of it), which I quite enjoy.

All in all, I'm looking forward.

Am I missing something, where is the crowd control?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000017d2/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast