We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cannot download "lotroclient.exe"

Hey all,

So I have been playing the game for about a week. Last night when I went to play the game was installing updates. However, it got stuck on lotroclient.exe . After about an hour of trying, rebooting and everything, I gave up and deleted all my files completely and re-installed the game using the standard version. However, just now as I am booting up the game, it is again stuck at lotroclient.exe .

This is really bothering me as it is seemingly impossible to play the game no matter what I do. I've noticed people have had similar problems and have tried turning off firewall and things of that nature and nothing helps. Any input would be great! Thank you!

Try to deactivate your antivirus software (not the firewall), Microsoft security essentials, Avira and such stuff. The updater does not threat this .exe in any other way as the other files, so the source of the problem must be another.
    If the download fails, the file was most likely blocked => bad antivirus software.

Which software do you use?

btw, the forum for technical assistance might be a better place to look for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Try to deactivate your antivirus software (not the firewall), Microsoft security essentials, Avira and such stuff. The updater does not threat this .exe in any other way as the other files, so the source of the problem must be another.
    If the download fails, the file was most likely blocked => bad antivirus software.

Which software do you use?

btw, the forum for technical assistance might be a better place to look for answers.
    Thanks for the response. I have McAfee so it could be that the AV aspect of it is blocking the program. I will try deactivating it and running it again once I get home from class and hopefully that is the problem so I can make an exception for it.

And sorry I didn't realize there was a technical assistance forum.

Sorry to bump this but I tried everything even going so far as uninstalling my virus scanner, uninstalling LOTRO again and installing the steam version. Nothing is working. I am at a loss.

If nothing else helps, copy the file from a friend.

But like you said, also the Steam installer won't work, so it's not an issue with the Lotro installer/launcher ... that strongly suggests there is a software blocking the download. Do you use Microsoft Security Essentials in addition to McAffee or another Malware Scanner?

I have every security feature off/uninstalled when I attempt to start game. I just tried for probably the 6th time to uninstall/reinstall. This time I chose the "play as you download" feature. This time I was able to play while it was downloading through happy cloud; however, once the download was complete and I attempted to start the game up again, it gets stuck on the launcher as it has been, this time at a different part "downloading file". And yes all of my security features were off and everything. Idk what the problem is but clearly I will be unable to play this game.

I guess it's time to contact support then.