We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reduced Awareness

I understand there are server issues going on. I was hoping these would be resolved with 11.4 as most of them seem to have been introduced with 11.3. But alas, it was not to be.

The problem I have is not with the 'reduced awareness' limiting my draw range, or with mining nodes popping up when I'm almost on top of them. No, that I can overlook as they still show up on my tracker even if they don't draw until I'm almost on them.

What I have a problem with is that an alert pops up, sometimes multiple times an hour telling me that you still haven't fixed this issue. It's like a fire alarm that's telling me about a forest fire in Colorado. The same forest fire that's been burning all month long. Pretty soon, you start to ignore the alerts for everything else as well, as it all comes into the same box. When it goes 'ding' I no longer think I have a mail, but that your system is notifying me for the umpteenth time today that you still haven't fixed this problem. 80%+ of the time, it's just that, and it's becoming old beyond compare.

So either: 1.) Borrow some of the nice people from NCSoft or Blizzard, or anyone else to give you some new eyes on the issue to help you fix this problem that's been going on for well over a month where your servers can't seem to handle traffic even when it's a ghost town, considering I get these messages even when very few people are on, at odd times of day. (Considering how long this has gone on, your in house folks seem to have zero grasp of what's causing this, or it'd be fixed by now. It's approaching ridiculous. I think you know that.) Or...

2.) Please at least provide a UI option to turn off certain alert messages, such as server messages that tell me 30x a day that someone still hasn't fixed this. I don't want to be reminded dozens of times a day that you still haven't fixed this. Really, it DOES NOT HELP with confidence. It's like constantly bopping someone on the head with a nerf stick. Yea, it doesn't hurt much, but after the 5th or so time in an hour it gets a bit annoying, and after the 50th time for the day you really start wondering why you tolerate the people doing it at all, much less actually pay them.

So please. Either fix it, or give us an option to disable your system alerts that most of us really don't care about.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Kaynith; Sep 24 2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar, tenn’ Ambar-metta!

I find this annoying as well. Especially when there are only 8 (+ some anonymous) people in the area....

What is even more intriguing to me is that when this messages pops up, my CPU use spikes to over 80%.... while I am standing still, at a mail box, in Rivendell.

In contrast, it did not pop up while I was doing Bilbo's birthday event on multiple accounts in a heavily populated Hobbiton over the weekend.

Last night this CPU use made my computer overheat and shut down. I was logged in with 2 accounts, and until recently, my computer was handling that just fine. Until now.

So what is the reason for this 'heavy processing load'?

Does this have something to do with the 'we detected that your system can run Direct X11' message and the unwanted change that followed after that to full screen mode?
    Do I really have to go back to change all my settings the way I want them when it is not my initiative or desire to change with what graphic settings I am running this game?
    Farm as if there is no tomorrow, cook as if there is no health inspection!

When in game, no thoughts of the forums, when on the forums, the game fades. The former is preferable.

This is really really bugging me, I took some time off when RoR launched and I figured I'd play the game again but the draw distance on some things is seriously bugging me. Fences that don't pop in, or invisible trees until I'm right on top of them.

I hit this for the first time last night. I'm in the US on arkenstone and it was after 12midnight when I got it. But then I have this craptacular intelontheinside on board graphics, so I didn't really notice any difference lol

Like Happybudgy, it's the circumstances during which I see the notification that really puzzle me.

A couple weeks ago I logged a low-level Hobbit camping in Overhill to check the mail and had reduced awareness. Draw distance, render quality and frame-rate all appeared to be unnaffected. And as neas as I could tell, there were no other players in the area.

Just a few minutes earlier, I had been doing the Farmer's Faire with what sometimes felt like half the server, with PCs and NPCs popping up at random, rubber-banding, PCs appearing to move in 5 or 10 foot jumps... basically all the stuff that reduced awareness claims to have, yet there was no reduced awareness.

I never thought to check my CPU load, I'll have to take a look at that next time I encounter RA.

Come to think of it, the only times I have ever seen "reduced awareness" recently have been in very low population areas. I don't even see it in Rohan, where the pop-ups and rubberbanding are almost accepted as the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post

Does this have something to do with the 'we detected that your system can run Direct X11' message and the unwanted change that followed after that to full screen mode?
    Do I really have to go back to change all my settings the way I want them when it is not my initiative or desire to change with what graphic settings I am running this game?
    So you are getting this too! I wonder how many others are?

From help in another thread here, I have figured out that this is caused by the game not finding the user preferences in the LOTRO folder under documents. Why this is happening I have no idea, but it is very very irritating.
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Yeah, others (including me) have posted about this before. It drives me crazy, not the reduced awareness in of itself, but the constant change between reduced awareness and normal which means you constantly get new alerts.

Under the old system, you could just ignore it. But now it shakes that stupid box all the time.

I get this from time to time as well. I was playing this morning and was in Bree and it popped up. I saw like 2 other people in bree and even checking to see how many was in bree there was maybe 25 people as it was very early in the morning. Just weird that it pop up when there was so few people on that early in the morning. I say it has to be some server issue or some issue in between them and us. Just might be time to upgrade the servers. Get some servers that run the new 12 core processors and as much memory as possible as well as new ssd's instead of old hard drives. Couldn't hurt right.

I was in the Old Forest last night, and the Reduced Awareness was so bad, it was totally unplayable.

This was the image right in front of me. Then, only one step later...

POOF! Look, there's a forest wall there!

Since 11.4 Reduced Awareness is now on 100% of the time I've ever been logged in.

I don't know exactly what you folks did in the last two updates, but it's making things worse, not better.

theres a few posts popping up. clearly a problem is going thru, as usual turbine doesnt care.
    currently without a home on Elendilmer

i agree, since last update the reduced awereness is much worse... in moria i walk of stairs, there are invisible walls (sometimes usefull if you wanna see where the mobs are, irritating if you have to find an opening/door in it)
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    What is even more intriguing to me is that when this messages pops up, my CPU use spikes to over 80%.... while I am standing still, at a mail box, in Rivendell.
    I had this happen to me last night. In my HOUSE. Step in the door... POOF! Reduced Awareness. I was like... are you kidding me? No one else was in the entire housing instance either.

I don't know if it's part of the reduced awareness problem, but I think it's neat how the game will occasionally forget to draw buildings. I keep going to the crafting hall in Bree and it's just a door floating in midair, like something out of Harry Potter. Or last night going to a quest giver in SW Othrikar, the building he was standing on was invisible, so I got to play a game of 'guess where the stairs are'.

Agreed. I was heading to Sarnur yesterday and had to guess where the goblin stronghold steps were to climb up to it. Some of the steps and walls never drew in, even after I had climbed past them.

Probably turbine way to fix lag is lowering the work on their graphic engine with reduced awarness ......

Awesome job as always
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/nzknxz.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

Hmm. I'm in North Downs all by myself according to the social panel, and voila! Reduced Awareness.

Not really sure what to make of that.

I was in Angmar last night and ramps and walls weren't drawing half the time. It was fun trying to find my way around 'Instawall 9000'. In one case a ramp didn't even draw, even after I'd gone down it. It was neat, seeing how the 'vanilla' SoA world was put together in some parts, and how they joined various different graphical resources to make ramps and connections to certain places, etc. But certainly not at the expense of not even being able to navigate in the game. This nonsense of the walls not drawing even when right next to them due to 'Reduced Awareness' is for the birds. Anywhere that has walls in close proximity, such as the Old Forest, certain areas of Angmar, etc, is becoming just about unplayable. It kind of sucks the fun out of taking an alt through these areas when I can't even see the walls. This has never, EVER, been a problem before 11.3. Whatever you did, Turbine, please UNDO it. I'd rather have the rubberbanding and lag.

Yesterday was constant Reduced Awareness for me. Today...not so far. It's like an every other day thing for me, I noticed it Thursday as well, but not Friday. *shrug* And it wouldn't bother me so much, but like you, I've started ignoring alerts thinking it's the reduced awareness when actually it was mail from my kin leader. :P
    Work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    I was in the Old Forest last night, and the Reduced Awareness was so bad, it was totally unplayable.

This was the image right in front of me. Then, only one step later...

POOF! Look, there's a forest wall there!

Since 11.4 Reduced Awareness is now on 100% of the time I've ever been logged in.

I don't know exactly what you folks did in the last two updates, but it's making things worse, not better.
    {Images removed from quote for brevity}

This is the type of thing that makes less sense than usual! I can understand processing loads, but the landscape is stored in it's entirety on our hard drives and rendering should have nothing to do with the server. This seems to imply that the processing overload is local and not server based? But then again, how can my computer have such a large processing load in deserted Overhill, but apparently no problems (despite obvious visual popups and slingshotting) in crowded Bywater?

It's starting to appear that there is something fundamental about the server/client that probably made sense when originally programmed, but is now showing problems. And being subh an integral part of the system, probably cannot be properly fixed short of an entire rewrite.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    {Images removed from quote for brevity}

This is the type of thing that makes less sense than usual! I can understand processing loads, but the landscape is stored in it's entirety on our hard drives and rendering should have nothing to do with the server. This seems to imply that the processing overload is local and not server based? But then again, how can my computer have such a large processing load in deserted Overhill, but apparently no problems (despite obvious visual popups and slingshotting) in crowded Bywater?

It's starting to appear that there is something fundamental about the server/client that probably made sense when originally programmed, but is now showing problems. And being subh an integral part of the system, probably cannot be properly fixed short of an entire rewrite.
    IMO It all boils down to junky code re-writes that they won't admit to.

I did a fresh install just a few weeks prior to 11.3. I copied my graphic settings exactly. I both wrote them down, and took screenshots to make sure I set everything back EXACTLY as it was prior to my fresh install. Everything was working fine. Then comes 11.3, and all of a sudden, people are seeing something most of us in 5+ years have NEVER seen before. 'Reduced Awareness'. I remember when the servers I played on were incredibly busy with hundreds of people everywhere, and people packing the major locations. Never got 'Reduced Awareness' even once, nor did my computer have a problem drawing or rendering anything. Then comes 11.4 and the same exact time the 'Reduced Awareness' thing goes off the charts. I was in Eregion today and got hit with it 5 times in less than 30 seconds. It was unreal. It was so bad it wasn't even drawing a boulder that I was right next to.

There seems to be nothing here...

But wait!

I panned the camera a certain angle, and it literally materialized before my eyes, and would then disappear when I moved the camera. What you see here is an in-between shot in the middle of drawing/disappearing.

I have taken toons through these zones before, and never had this problem before. Not once. My computer didn't just wake up the morning of the 11.3 patch and decide that after years of doing so, it just wasn't going to render walls and boulders anymore. Something in the code changed. And besides, the 'Reduced Awareness' message is very specifically a SERVER LOAD message. It's quite descriptive. The servers are being hammered, or so it thinks.

My line of thinking is more in tune with what a poster above said, and that this is related to the 'lag' fixes somehow. I think they have no clue what's really causing the lag, and they are tinkering with things they should not be, and which have never had a problem until now, out of sheer desperation. This would explain why certain areas are worse than others, old vanilla areas in particular.

This is the case whether I use my old lappy, or whether I use my much newer desktop which is capable of running things in high res. Completely different systems and OS, same exact problem. It isn't my, or your, or anyone else's computer. It seems every time something goes wrong with one of the patches, they point the finger at the client computer and say something is wrong with our computers. Not buying it this time. Most of Angmar and the Old Forest haven't changed one lick since vanilla days, and all of a sudden it just won't render? Naw... I've got a feeling that someone's playing around in the back end code, tinkering with the global rendering setting and poking around in things they don't fully understand trying to fix an unrelated lag issue, and toying with things which they shouldn't be mucking with.
    Last edited by Kaynith; Sep 29 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Best thing to do is put in bug reports. I get this constantly in the Ettenmoors on my creep and its quite annoying to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Erilor View Post
    Best thing to do is put in bug reports. I get this constantly in the Ettenmoors on my creep and its quite annoying to say the least.
    With all due respect, how is the server notifying me that it's under a heavy load a 'bug'? It's not a false alarm that does nothing. When the Reduced Awareness pops up my draw distance goes to crud. And then again, and again, and again, until I can't see things right next to me half the time.

My greatest fear is that this is 'WAI' *shudders*.

It's not a false alarm that does nothing. When the Reduced Awareness pops up my draw distance goes to crud.
    Same hear, and the combat gets all hesitant and skippy. I find it hard to believe this is what they planned.

With all due respect, how is the server notifying me that it's under a heavy load a 'bug'? It's not a false alarm that does nothing. When the Reduced Awareness pops up my draw distance goes to crud. And then again, and again, and again, until I can't see things right next to me half the time.

My greatest fear is that this is 'WAI' *shudders*.
    Well, I don't know what the problem is so I don't know if it is a bug or not. Just because the server is under heavy load, doesn't mean its not a bug. It's possible some piece of code was introduced with the last update that is causing more resources to be needlessly used. I really don't know since I don't work for Turbine. I still think filing a bug report can't hurt and at best might help them narrow in on the cause of the problem. I've played Lotro for 3 years now and it wasn't until very recently that Reduced Awareness became a consistent problem.

Yeah, I've experienced a lot of lag and Reduced Awareness just this evening. I had to log out for the day since it was becoming pretty unplayable. It wasn't nearly this bad the day before than it was today. What causes it? Too many people on the server or what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast