We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A quote from one of the best ever raid leaders...definately worth the reading

“…Tonight as we step down into the battlefield, we will face the usual war, tooth and claw, spear and blade, blight and fear, and worse: barely pubescent boys…confusing overwhelming numbers with skill and badly constructed trash talk with wit. Tonight we may win. Tonight we may lose and at this time I know not which. What I do know is there is no finer group I would wish to share the battle. Those who know me will know that I do not quit no matter what the numbers … I have never done so in all my 6 years in the moors and I shall not start this night. It is also well known that I do not construct my armies from the finest geared, the highest rank or the most effective classes. I select as my soldiers ask, in the order they ask and irrespective of their gear and class or rank. It has sometimes meant that we carry the day and sometimes we endure harsh slaughter against overwhelming numbers. A wiser leader might have chosen his army to win at all costs. I would not have it any other way. My army chooses me. Not the other way around. And I thank you for that honor and the wonderful company you have provided me with over the years…. I will not leave this battlefield until I am Captain-General. Mount up folks. It’s time to go to war.”
    -Yand, Brandywine

Touching, but a bit deep for a game.

However, I do respect the view that 'My army chooses me. Not the other way around.' as it should be. I'm personally not one for quotes or speeches, as it often ends with arrogance and unrespectable and misleading pride. However, it was decently written and helps to create a more serious atmosphere in what is often a comical and dramatic game.

Nothing more serious in lotro then getting to rank 15.

It does seem a bit serious for a game, but it was all a little tongue in cheek anyway; or at least that's how I saw it. If I were a raid leader, that's the kind of thing I would end up writing in class when I got bored or something. I like his approach to raiding, and it's a shame more aren't like that, but on a server as big as Brandy I guess finding people wouldn't ever be an issue if you're not picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha View Post
    It does seem a bit serious for a game
    Why? You spend 6 years and probably 1-8 hours a day doing something you are passionate about, why can't one be a little serious about it even if it is "a game".

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrinoth View Post
    Why? You spend 6 years and probably 1-8 hours a day doing something you are passionate about, why can't one be a little serious about it even if it is "a game".
    Well let's keep things in context...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabetha
    It does seem a bit serious for a game, but it was all a little tongue in cheek anyway; or at least that's how I saw it.
    Whether one should or shouldn't take a game seriously is a moot point IMO. What constitutes serious? Most of my family probably think I take the game too seriously because I'd rather play than do some of the things they consider fun. Personally, I think once it becomes a source of stress instead of fun it becomes too serious. And then there's the actual cases of people neglecting their children, losing their jobs, etc, because they get so wrapped up in a game. Depends on what you feel is 'serious.' As someone who has made RL lasting (6+ years) friendships with people on similar online games, I can appreciate that others can take it 'seriously' and still have fun and a normal life. Basically I was just agreeing with Kael that long, poetic speeches before raids isn't common (in retrospect, 'serious' may not have been the best word). Regardless, we both agreed it was very well done and I certainly enjoyed it.

As i am not rank 15 or close to rank 15, i can't really say what kind of speech one gives before making that monumental accomplishment. But if i had to guess, long winded, poetic, and slightly sarcastic is probably appropriate.

Perhaps "serious" wasn't the best choice of words due to the negativity picked out from it. I was intending to compare the direct influence from the quote compared to what you'd more often see (in a positive way). Most threads I have seen in the PvMP area have been based on quite a bit of drama, which usually looks somewhat comical from another's point of view. You don't get that feeling with the above quote, as it is more so motivational and intended to be somewhat inspiring to other participating players.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerunicorn5 View Post
    Perhaps "serious" wasn't the best choice of words due to the negativity picked out from it. I was intending to compare the direct influence from the quote compared to what you'd more often see (in a positive way). Most threads I have seen in the PvMP area have been based on quite a bit of drama, which usually looks somewhat comical from another's point of view. You don't get that feeling with the above quote, as it is more so motivational and intended to be somewhat inspiring to other participating players.
    Considering where and why he said that quote, it wasn't meant to be a quote on his accomplishment of rank 15. It was a roleplay quote before an interview.

http://mmoreporter.com/2013/09/17/lo...is-going-home/

Quote Originally Posted by Killerunicorn5 View Post
    Most threads I have seen in the PvMP area have been based on quite a bit of drama, which usually looks somewhat comical from another's point of view.
    What does this have to do with this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by b4jet9597 View Post
    Considering where and why he said that quote, it wasn't meant to be a quote on his accomplishment of rank 15. It was a roleplay quote before an interview.

http://mmoreporter.com/2013/09/17/lo...is-going-home/

What does this have to do with this thread?
    Seeing as I am not an active pvmper or role player, I was completely unaware of whether or not it was for a role play interview. It was my understanding (as guided by the OP) that the quote was meant as a way to commemorate hitting rank 15. The opening post didn't mention it either, therefor I do not see what would be "wrong" with my opinion at the time of the posts, especially if they were aimed in a positive direction.

To answer your question, it has plenty to do with this thread, specifically the discussion following it. As I stated prior, the quote had a more serious and direct approach, which compared to what you'd normally see on the pvmp section, is quite different.

~Sorry if we had any misunderstandings, and thank you for pointing out the source of the quote to clarify things.
    Last edited by Killerunicorn5; Sep 26 2013 at 12:33 AM.

nice discussion...let me give you a bit of info for the context. Yand spent 6 years in the moors to achieve final rank. Obviously, he led raids. So it wasn't really about role play at all. And yes, it was a quote from the beginning of LOTRO reporter which I listen to and download every week. What I liked about it is that it defined him as a leader. His leading wasn't based on so many things that falsely inflate his ego. I liked the interview and I think the whole thing is worth a listen. He even talked a bit about the tendency to send 'spies' to the other side, which I found somewhat amusing.

So this quote came at the end of a long 6 years of leading and then making the decision to step down for a time, away from the moors. Sort of a farewell in a way. dramatic, yeah, I could see how that could be. Serious? Well, maybe, but yeah, tongue in cheek. Nevertheless, he spoke some wisdom there and that's why I posted it here.

The the discussion of how to counter spies and how to counter countering spies was really interesting. Also made me realize i never want to lead raids.

It's funny that all this arguing happened over someone who allegedly PVE'd the majority of his rank up to R15. He's not the most well liked person out there, I've come to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondarthos View Post
    who allegedly PVE'd the majority of his rank up to R15.
    And how's that bad? I'm pretty sure that my r9 reaver is 50% PvE-based. Does that make me a bad player?
    Hydrogen
    Nitrogenn
    Hydronakh

Everything is a perspective. What one might find a bad thing, might not be bad in someone else's eyes. Just like how I may think the OP quote was a tad bit deep for a game, a lot of you might strongly disagree with me- It's your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondarthos View Post
    It's funny that all this arguing happened over someone who allegedly PVE'd the majority of his rank up to R15. He's not the most well liked person out there, I've come to find.

That's pretty much all I've heard about Yand since I transferred.

PvE or not, rank 15 is still a huge accomplishment. More so if all he did was pve for his renown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrinoth View Post
    PvE or not, rank 15 is still a huge accomplishment. More so if all he did was pve for his renown.
    Agreed. He is/was one of the main raid leaders also, so that means a good chunk of that r15 is from raid pvp. Pretty awesome accomplishment for sure.