We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Expanded Avatar Options

Is there any possibility we could get some expanded avatar options for the forum? It's really started to get quite confusing in some of the more busy parts of the forum. I've changed mine 3 times now because it is difficult to keep track of conversations when 3 people all have the same avatar in one thread.

I will volunteer my time to take screen shots, slap borders on them, resize them, and even make a detailed index for you guys free of charge if allowed. Would you be up for letting me put together a small collection and see what you think? If you like them, I'm happy to make even more.

LOTRO's artwork is copyrighted so I'm not going to start making these without permission.

Clearly it's possible for vBulletin to let people upload their own avatars - the old forums did so, and newer versions of vBulletin do too. Not sure why they didn't keep that. It's not likely to be a security risk, and even if 50,000 people were to upload an 80x80 avatar, that would be a grand total of like 1.3GB... peanuts.

It's always possible that they don't want to spend time policing avatars, but since images are allowed in signatures, that doesn't make much sense either.

Your guess is as good as mine, but I suspect they'll allow us to upload our own avatars before they'll set up a process where players can submit general-purpose ones for approval. The latter would take more time than configuring vBulletin, and would probably be endless (since nobody will ever be satisfied with a limited set).

Khafar

Lightbulb

Actually all uploaded photos are a security risk. Not to sound like im making a conspiracy theory but you can track someone by analizing the origin of a any photo posted on internet. The electronic photos go as far as having your GPS location when taken & so much more. But i think that LOTRO removed customized avatars because is a lot unecesary data clogging in their system.

I'm guessing my answer is no. I'll take the silence to mean that at least.

But I honestly don't mind putting together avatars for free. I'm an experienced digital artist who has done this type of work before, I know quite well how to select, create and optimize these types of graphics to make them as minimalistic yet visually pleasing as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Actually all uploaded photos are a security risk.
    I meant they're not a security risk to Turbine. But sure, if people take pics with their cell phones and leave geo-tagging turned on - then use tools which preserve the geo-tagging info when they shrink their picture to 80x80... it's possible to tell exactly where the picture was taken from.

But honestly, Facebook is a far bigger "security risk" on that front than a game forum would be, because it's far more likely to have unedited pics on it (with meta-data intact), because the pictures are much more likely to be of family/kids, and because the number of people using that web site is orders of magnitude larger.

Khafar