We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Where to next?

  1. #1

    Where to next?

    Here's hoping that Helm's Deep is a massive critical and commercial success, keeping LotRO in business for years to come.

    I was doing some timeline calculating for another thread today and realized that if you've completed the Epic Books to their current end, we're sitting at February 30, 3019 in game. Everything we've done, from the introduction quests for the Shadows of Angmar to the present, has taken about five months of in-game time. In the month March, which will probably begin with Helm's Deep, we see the Battle of Helm's Deep, the Battle of Pelannor Fields, the Battle of Dale, the destruction of Ring... essentially the ending of the story. Time has always been relative in LotRO, but it seems to me that we're reaching a pretty pivotal moment with the *next* expansion.

    As I see it there are two likely candidates: Gondor and northern Rhovanion (the rest of Mirkwood, Erebor, Dale, ect.).

    With Helm's Deep presumably ending the Rohan storyline, it makes sense for us to proceed to Gondor. That said, however, once the events in Gondor are completed, I don't see a whole lot of point in heading back north to Rhovanion. The Pelannor to the Morannon make sense to be the "endgame" of the game. I sincerely hope that they'll continue on after that, fleshing out the Tower Hills, Southfarthing, Grey Havens, ect. that have been marked, but unreachable for six years.

    Personally, I believe the next expansion will take us north into Rhovanion. It will probably release next Fall/Winter to coincide with the final Hobbit film. I would guess the epic quests would entail rallying the north against Mordor; the Wood Elves, Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, and Men of Dale. It would probably capstone with the Battle of Dale, after which we'd head to Gondor and do something similar. The only issue is that Dale and Pelannor happen simultaneously, but with LotRO zones occurring in a bubble it's doable. After all the entire expansion of Riders of Rohan occured in four days... and you thought you had a busy week.

    So what are your thoughts? Will we bash on into Gondor? Will we head north to the Lonely Mountain? Or do think something completely different?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000000a1c8/01008/signature.png]Balariond[/charsig]

  2. #2
    ICE managed to really expand the scope of Middle Earth with MERP (Middle Earth Roleplay), and IIRC everything they published had to be cleared by the Tolkien Estate.

    There's plenty we could be doing within the time frame of the War Of The Ring, but beyond the narrow path travelled by the Fellowship.

    I'd dearly love to see us move to Notrthern Enedwaith / Southern Arnor and explore the ruins of Tharbad. It is only 100 years since it was abandoned in the Fell Winter and could provide a compelling setting for exploring the dimmed majesty of man's former glory, and a rebirth of that glory at the end of the WotR.

    And even if we are constrained to remain closer to the path of the Fellowship then there is no need for our journey, or adventure, to end with the destruction of the Ring. The early Fourth Age would also make a great setting for a continuation /expansion of LOTRO.

    All The Best

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal, USA
    Posts
    6,287
    I would really love to get those dang gaps in Eriador filled. I still dream of the Tower Hills and the Grey Havens, as well as being able to take the old North Road properly from Enedwaith all the way up to Andrath, passing through Tharbad... that would be so awesome.

    But I don't know if we'll ever see those gaps filled. I think instead we will go either straight to Gondor or see north-east Middle-earth filled out. It depends which route Turbine decides to take... both have events happening more or less at the same time. I do want to see both.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    I would really love to get those dang gaps in Eriador filled. I still dream of the Tower Hills and the Grey Havens, as well as being able to take the old North Road properly from Enedwaith all the way up to Andrath, passing through Tharbad... that would be so awesome.

    But I don't know if we'll ever see those gaps filled. I think instead we will go either straight to Gondor or see north-east Middle-earth filled out. It depends which route Turbine decides to take... both have events happening more or less at the same time. I do want to see both.
    It's my hope that these areas are filled out during a Scourging of the Shire-esque expansion. The problem for Turbine will be making it sell, since the epicness of the story tends to decrease after the Ring is destroyed. Slapping around Bill Ferny is rather anti-climatic after the battle against Sauron
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000000a1c8/01008/signature.png]Balariond[/charsig]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    224
    At the risk of upsetting the purists, I would like them to make an entirely new game, set in Middle-Earth AFTER the destruction of the Ring. I'd personally love to see such a game with hub-based rather than linear questing. I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting this but I think it's well worth considering

    Middle-Earth Online: release date Spring 2015

  6. #6
    I'm not sure what intellectual rights Turbine has access to, but if they have (or can get) the rights to the Silmarillion, then they could offer exploration into the ruins of the fallen elven kingdoms and fight ancient evils that dwell in the pits of Angband.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseyboy View Post
    At the risk of upsetting the purists, I would like them to make an entirely new game, set in Middle-Earth AFTER the destruction of the Ring. I'd personally love to see such a game with hub-based rather than linear questing. I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting this but I think it's well worth considering

    Middle-Earth Online: release date Spring 2015
    Turbine's contract only let's them draw specifically from the Lord of the Rings... perhaps the Hobbit too, I don't remember. The Third Age is where Tolkien's writings end (actually there are brief snatches from the Fourth) and his estate carefully guards the use of his materials. So there's no need for anyone to get upset, because it won't happen. The lawyers guard the estate against just such an occurrence.

    And, of course, there's the obvious... pretty much every fantasy work since Tolkien has drawn on him and then created their own IP. Once the Lord of the Rings end, everything would be pure conjecture, hence you might as well create an IP anyway.

    *Edited to say* I know they don't have rights to the Silmarilion. Christopher Tolkien is still alive and guards that property like a Rottweiler. So we won't see a Silmarilion game any more than we'll see a Silmarilion movie... unless ungodly amounts of money change hands.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000000a1c8/01008/signature.png]Balariond[/charsig]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by dermax View Post
    Turbine's contract only let's them draw specifically from the Lord of the Rings... perhaps the Hobbit too, I don't remember. The Third Age is where Tolkien's writings end (actually there are brief snatches from the Fourth) and his estate carefully guards the use of his materials. So there's no need for anyone to get upset, because it won't happen. The lawyers guard the estate against just such an occurrence.

    And, of course, there's the obvious... pretty much every fantasy work since Tolkien has drawn on him and then created their own IP. Once the Lord of the Rings end, everything would be pure conjecture, hence you might as well create an IP anyway.

    *Edited to say* I know they don't have rights to the Silmarilion. Christopher Tolkien is still alive and guards that property like a Rottweiler. So we won't see a Silmarilion game any more than we'll see a Silmarilion movie... unless ungodly amounts of money change hands.
    I was thinking along similar lines to M.E.R.P - the Middle Earth Role Play system from the 80's. There was a LOT of 'artistic freedom' given to that (although I think everyone hated the magic system lol) which concentrated on smaller adventurers in different areas of Middle Earth, that often had nothing to do with the books. What made it enjoyable for many was the way it allowed fans of the books to get a little bit more information and/or insight into areas that aren't touched upon, for example, Mount Gundabad, The Iron Hills etc.

  9. #9
    There is still a lot left from the map - They've got to finish lots:
    north of Mirkwood, Ered Mithrin (The Grey Mountains)
    there is still a lot left of Misty Mountains (Mount Gundabad can be an instance for example)
    Iron Hill; Rhun (Rhovanion)
    Gondor is a quite a huge area so will take quite awhile while finishing that part of the map
    The area around Minas Thirit
    Mordor is a vast area which might be 2 or 3 expansions...
    And lastly South Gondor (Harondor) and there you've got lots of area.

    I think that might really go like 10 years and more or so to finish the map and also maybe review and modify it (add some instances and skirmishes)

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload