We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do hobbit characters have it easier or safer?

In Lord of the Rings Online, would hobbit characters have it easier, calmer, or safer then the elves, dwarves, or the race of Man would, during gameplay?

Well, you can fake your death...

But in all honesty, all races are pretty much equal. It is the classes and the player behind the avatar making the characters who they are. (And good gear).
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Knowledge View Post
    In Lord of the Rings Online, would hobbit characters have it easier, calmer, or safer then the elves, dwarves, or the race of Man would, during gameplay?
    No, but they do have the funniest emotes. So perhaps they'd be more amusing?
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Each race starts with it's own tutorial instance to familiarize you with the game. These are all at about the same level of danger.

When you complete that, you get put into a beginner instance. Elves and Dwarves go to Ered Luin while Men and Hobbits go to Archet. These are also about the same level of danger. You'll be level 5-7 when you complete this, depending on how much you do before the final quest.

Then you get put into the real world. This is where hobbits have it a bit calmer. They get put into The Shire, which has a much less dangerous feel to it. More of the quests are "fetch this or that" or go kill a few wolves or shrews. Pretty setting. Happier inhabitants.

Elves, Dwarves, and Race of Man characters go to Celondim, Thorin's Hall, or Bree, respectively. All are a bit darker than The Shire.

Somewhere between level 15 and 20 you will have completed most of the starter area and be ready to go on to the rest of the world, which is the land around Bree and then The Lone Lands. At this point everyone's in the same situation. Bad guys all over the place. Everyone does the same quests. The minor differences in racial abilities start to really be minor.

Have fun!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    When you complete that, you get put into a beginner instance. Elves and Dwarves go to Ered Luin while Men and Hobbits go to Archet. These are also about the same level of danger. You'll be level 5-7 when you complete this, depending on how much you do before the final quest.

Then you get put into the real world. This is where hobbits have it a bit calmer. They get put into The Shire, which has a much less dangerous feel to it. More of the quests are "fetch this or that" or go kill a few wolves or shrews. Pretty setting. Happier inhabitants.

Elves, Dwarves, and Race of Man characters go to Celondim, Thorin's Hall, or Bree, respectively. All are a bit darker than The Shire.
    Though what Nosdracir wrote here is right, there's a bit of difference between where you are in that beginner instance and where you are after it.

Whereas the beginner instance is completely determined by your race (i.e. hobbits and men have to do the Archet intro and elves and dwarves have to do the Thorin's Gate intro), the city you start in after finishing it is more of a suggestion.

When a character completes the intro and enters the main game world, each race will be in a different city, but at that point you're free to travel and if you would prefer a different region's quests you can go there and do them. So a new dwarf character could decide to go do the Shire quests or a new hobbit could decide to go quest in Bree-land, etc. The most common reason for doing this is if you're meeting up with friends of different races, but you could do it simply because you want to do the peaceful Shire quests on your elf or the the more active dangerous quests on your hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    No, but they do have the funniest emotes. So perhaps they'd be more amusing?
    I dunno, I'm a big fan of the dwarf /sigh...

I think that depends how good is the handler. My hobbits have it easier & safer.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

It is just too cute to watch my hobbit girl (she is a guardian) clobbing five orks while making noises like Monica Seles on the tennis court

race of man has best traits atm... but hobbit looks fun too
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

In general game play, I think that the races are pretty much equivalent. Even when you add in class on top of race, the distinctions aren't great enough to say that one particular race or race-class combination is indisputably better.

That said, I do think that hobbit racial deeds feel easier/less burdensome than the other three races. I especially hate the elf race deeds that depend on slaying dragons in Angmar and the human race deed to kill what feels like every Hillman ever born. lol

One thing that everyone but men can enjoy (after getting high enough to grind for it) is the "return to Bree" skill. Earn enough barrow trinkets in bree for kindred and you can buy the "return to Bree" skill. Men have to slot a trait to return to Bree (the other races can also slot a trait to go to their respective homes (less sure about hobbits)). Note that either of these skills are redundant on hunters (who can port to Bree whenever they want to instead of once an hour like these skills grant).

This can be approximated by buying a house in Bree, but after awhile you will notice the distance between Chetwood and Bree.