We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GUNS

Lightbulb GUNS

If its true that the game has black powder than why don't we have guns like WoW RoM? The game could even have the musketeer class!

Like I said before, if you someone with authority could tell me whether or not you will do it than please do so. If not than please tell me.

Thank you for listening, and feedback?
    Last edited by Sapience; Sep 23 2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Turned off the excessive use of exclamation marks.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven-Lionsheild View Post
    If its true that the game has black powder than why don't we have guns like WoW RoM? The game could even have the musketeer class!

Like I said before, if you someone with authority could tell me whether or not you will do it than please do so. If not than please tell me.

Thank you for listening, and feedback?
    Not sure if troll thread, or serious.... This is LoTRO, unlike WoW, we have a LORE. Tolkien had no GUNS in his BOOKS, so, due to LORE, there are no GUNS in LOTRO.

Seriously, are you trolling us?

Glorgnorbor
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Not sure if troll thread, or serious.... This is LoTRO, unlike WoW, we have a LORE. Tolkien had no GUNS in his BOOKS, so, due to LORE, there are no GUNS in LOTRO.

Glorgnorbor
    Just because WoW has guns doesn't mean it doesn't have lore. Your arrogance blinds you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000027615c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by bamatram View Post
    Just because WoW has guns doesn't mean it doesn't have lore. Your arrogance blinds you.
    Really? Never heard of anyone who wrote a WoW book stating exactly what happened. *shrug*

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Glorgnorbor
    Lore is one of the main reasons that turbine cant put guns in lotro, not only that, but, if they stray to far from the "Lore" of lotro warner brothers can sue them, thus getting lotro shut down
    [B][FONT=arial]"We should always help those who are in need and ask for nothing in return, for helping is the reward"
    [/FONT][/B][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4X69hvL.png?1[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Barney1119 View Post
    Lore is one of the main reasons that turbine cant put guns in lotro, not only that, but, if they stray to far from the "Lore" of lotro warner brothers can sue them, thus getting lotro shut down
    So could Tolkien Estate.

Really? Never heard of anyone who wrote a WoW book stating exactly what happened. *shrug*
    What do you mean what happened?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000027615c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

No guns! The closest thing to guns they had was the dynamite stuff Saruman used to breach Helm's Deep, and the Ents were really pissed off with it. Dwarfs might have used explosives for mining, but I'm not sure. You use Powder Kegs in game though...
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

What do you mean what happened?
    Well, Tolkien wrote a book(Which is the lore to follow), explaining the story of Middle-Earth, and the path we are taking(Following the Fellowship).

Well, Tolkien wrote a book(Which is the lore to follow), explaining the story of Middle-Earth, and the path we are taking(Following the Fellowship).
    There are books about the sundering, the cataclysm, the introduction of races, and back story of regions and characters. There are atleast 20 books out there.

There are books about the sundering, the cataclysm, the introduction of races, and back story of regions and characters. There are atleast 20 books out there.
    Written before or after release?

Written before or after release?
    Some are written before release of WoW and others are written aftewards. It also has all the lore from Warcraft 1-3. You don't need books to have a lore. In fact there is a podcast on youtube called but wait there's lore that goes over the lore of WoW.

Some are written before release of WoW and others are written aftewards. It also has all the lore from Warcraft 1-3. You don't need books to have a lore. In fact there is a podcast on youtube called but wait there's lore that goes over the lore of WoW.
    Ah... But those are written as the game developed, LoTR set the stage BEFORE the game was developed. Wow is just making it up off the top of their heads, then writing a book about it. LoTRO is following a role set WAYYYY before them.

Ah... But those are written as the game developed, LoTR set the stage BEFORE the game was developed. Wow is just making it up off the top of their heads, then writing a book about it. LoTRO is following a role set WAYYYY before them.
    Warcraft 1-3 came out before WoW. By your logic I can say Tolkien made stuff up off the top of his heads. Just because something doesn't come out 50 years before the game explaining the lore doesn't mean it isn't lore.

WoW is a completely different animal because Blizzard owns their own IP, Turbine does not.

As a result Metzen can write into the game whatever pops into his head, retcon it in any way he wishes, and take it in any future direction he likes, hence Goblins, trikes, Mechano-Hogs, Monks, Draenei, etc, etc, etc.

Here we are playing LotRO, as was written, not <insert generic pseduo-historical-fantasy adventure game name here>. We are also not playing The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or The History of Middle Earth. All Turbine can write into the game, as per licensing contracts, is what is contained in The Lord of the Rings. That is it.

So, no guns or flying mounts or Ninjas or Warlocks or whatever.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000004f80c0/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cybelline View Post
    WoW is a completely different animal because Blizzard owns their own IP, Turbine does not.

As a result Metzen can write into the game whatever pops into his head, retcon it in any way he wishes, and take it in any future direction he likes, hence Goblins, trikes, Mechano-Hogs, Monks, Draenei, etc, etc, etc.

Here we are playing LotRO, as was written, not <insert generic pseduo-historical-fantasy adventure game name here>. We are also not playing The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or The History of Middle Earth. All Turbine can write into the game, as per licensing contracts, is what is contained in The Lord of the Rings. That is it.

So, no guns or flying mounts or Ninjas or Warlocks or whatever.
    I agree with what you said here. What I was arguing up above was that WoW did have a lore.

Warcraft 1-3 came out before WoW. By your logic I can say Tolkien made stuff up off the top of his heads. Just because something doesn't come out 50 years before the game explaining the lore doesn't mean it isn't lore.
    Just because a requested feature violates the licensed intellectual property doesn't mean it can be added to LOTRO.

Blizzard created Warcraft 1-3 and WoW and can do anything they want to do with their own IP. Turbine is limited by the license they negotiated with Saul Zaentz Co. for using the Lord of the Rings trilogy in a game. They can only push that license so far (*cough* Rune-Keeper, etc.). Guns is so far away that Morgoth has to face away from Arda in order to just be pointing in the right direction.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Decidedly. Unfortunately to get the full story you have to go to multiple sources, the game, the novels, comics, manga etc. It isn't all conveniently in one place and Metzen has a habit of reconning, so you can't fully trust that what is today, will be tommorrow (or next patch or expansion). Loose story threads are left all over the darned place with absolutely no indication from Blizzard that they will ever be concluded. Further complicating the matter is the fact that when they redid the world for Cataclysm, so much story (incidental story, but stilll...) was completely obliterated.

And finally, the nature of that game and the fact that Blizzard does absolutely everything in their power to railroad new players to level cap as fast as can be, very few players actually know the story; they haven't the slightest clue as to who is who, why things are happening/have happened, and the full impact that events and characters have had/will have. Most players just know their rotations and want to hit the loot pinata; that is the sum of their WoW experience.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000004f80c0/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Just because a requested feature violates the licensed intellectual property doesn't mean it can be added to LOTRO.

Blizzard created Warcraft 1-3 and WoW and can do anything they want to do with their own IP. Turbine is limited by the license they negotiated with Saul Zaentz Co. for using the Lord of the Rings trilogy in a game. They can only push that license so far (*cough* Rune-Keeper, etc.). Guns is so far away that Morgoth has to face away from Arda in order to just be pointing in the right direction.
    I never said I wanted guns in lotro it would be lorebreaking what I was stating was the fact that WoW does have a lore. How about you read robbie's first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybelline View Post
    Decidedly. Unfortunately to get the full story you have to go to multiple sources, the game, the novels, comics, manga etc. It isn't all conveniently in one place and Metzen has a habit of reconning, so you can't fully trust that what is today, will be tommorrow (or next patch or expansion). Loose story threads are left all over the darned place with absolutely no indication from Blizzard that they will ever be concluded. Further complicating the matter is the fact that when they redid the world for Cataclysm, so much story (incidental story, but stilll...) was completely obliterated.

And finally, the nature of that game and the fact that Blizzard does absolutely everything in their power to railroad new players to level cap as fast as can be, very few players actually know the story; they haven't the slightest clue as to who is who, why things are happening/have happened, and the full impact that events and characters have had/will have. Most players just know their rotations and want to hit the loot pinata; that is the sum of their WoW experience.
    Yeah it is kind of sad.

I never said I wanted guns in lotro it would be lorebreaking what I was stating was the fact that WoW does have a lore. How about you read robbie's first post.
    My apologies for misunderstanding your position.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Guns is so far away that Morgoth has to face away from Arda in order to just be pointing in the right direction.
    This made me laugh, thanks for that!
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

My apologies for misunderstanding your position.
    np it's all good.

Post My answer...

Ya but... saruman did have black powder and the game makes up all sorts of "top of the head" stuff like Skorgrim and the Dourhands, The brigands, characters, Most factions such as the lossoth of Forochel and the Eglain, Monsters/bosses, Cities, events, even most of the epics are made all up! There are more than even I can come up with! How is making a new class/weapon actually based on Sarumans black powder when lots of stuff is completely Turbines idea copyright?
    Last edited by Golhebron; Sep 23 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Lossoth do exist! Read the books!
    If you do not believe me:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Lossoth

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast