We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Post lore master pet War Wolf

What are the requirements or prerequisites for getting the War Wolf that appears to be active while character is in mounted combat.

It's the yellow trait called "Riding Companion". To unlock it, you'll need to spend 2 points for "Intimidate", then 2 points for "Bond of the Lore-master", then 2 points for "Well Disciplined". The "Riding Companion" trait itself costs 3 points, and the additional trait "Bred for War" can be used to boost the pet's attack damage, bleed damage, and flank chance (costing 1-3 points).

Note "Riding Companion" is necessary to unlock the yellow capstone trait in each line, so if you want "Conservative Combatant" (heavy), "Strong Willed" (medium), or "Disengaging Strikes" (light), you must unlock the pet.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

The warwolf is the most pathetic pet of the LM. It's way too stupid, the other unmounted pets works okay, but this warwolf just seems ########. It doesn't auto aggro when you attack an enemy as the unmounted pets do, and the skill 'direct pet' does NOT work and the cooldown for it is way too long since you have to keep trying to direct the wolf 'til it actually works. And then it's also way too slow, if you can't dismount the enemy then the wolf is just gonna run and run after it without managing to deal any damage.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720601000028c012/signature.png]Mortum[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Thats odd! My lore master's wolf do all that what you said it dont. Maybe is cause im traited to buff my animal companions. My only grief is that it have no skill to tell the wolf when not to attack.
    I'm traited to nature's fury, if that's what you mean :P But it shouldn't matter though, mounted combat and unmounted combat are two different things, aren't they?

I'm glad that I have my warden to play with, much better at mounted combat in my opinion!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720601000028c012/signature.png]Mortum[/charsig]

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Magpiefood View Post
    I'm traited to nature's fury, if that's what you mean :P But it shouldn't matter though, mounted combat and unmounted combat are two different things, aren't they?

I'm glad that I have my warden to play with, much better at mounted combat in my opinion!

I find my War wolf works just great for me and I am a red line LM all the way.. in the mounted traits panel it helps to put points in the yellow tree and rank up to max 3 the Bred to War trait for the War Wolf. Plus you have to tag the enemy you want the war wolf to focus on first. I tag the enemy first, then hit my war wolf Command Pet, then I hit the mearas-lore & Sigh of Power, the pet runs after what I have tagged and it always pulls the aggro for me and I start opening fire as soon as I send my wolf where I want him to go and I just keep tagging the foes.. I Often use the skills that help the wolf to heal in battle too.. along with my steed.. which work when you have a foe tagged... GL

Don't forget, the major benefit of the war-wolf is the increased damage to your fire-balls when he flanks your target.

I do agree his damage is really low though, I believe he only does about 150-200 dps on a target.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    Don't forget, the major benefit of the war-wolf is the increased damage to your fire-balls when he flanks your target.

I do agree his damage is really low though, I believe he only does about 150-200 dps on a target.

Yeah I agree with that too...

The pet also provides extra procs to SoP Inspiration - which contributes quite a lot of damage over time.

For this is the only reason I summon the wolf before a large warband fight, and then bag him afterward.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]I'm a Banana[/COLOR]

colors

I remember somebody wrote somewhere that its possible to customize you "warwolf" into a specific color and that you can buy a dye in the Lotrostore. I cant find it tho. Is it possible to give my wolf a different color like say white? It now looks like a big racoon instead of a wolf.

My only problems with the wolf is he aggroing enemies when I'm trying to avoid them (because of this I normally only summon him in more complicated combat sittuations) and the wolf is a bit slow to follow light war-steeds