We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How to learn Riding?

I just started playing LOTRO this week. I'm a Level 11 Dwarf Champion. I bought the Samwise Gamgee Starter for $9.99 and I got a Bay Steed. When I try to use it, I am told that I need 'Riding'. How do I learn the Riding Skill? I am currently in Bywater for Baggins' Birthday.

You need to buy the riding skill from the lotro store...95 TP

Thanks for the fast response.
    One more question.... Do Hobbits automatically get the riding skill without buying it? My wife can ride the bay pony and she's positive she didn't spend TP.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    If he has the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack, he already has the riding skill as it comes with it (it's an account wide riding skill actually).

Has the transaction gone through? If so, have you relogged since making the purchase?

Your account should be premium once you purchased it, if you were F2P beforehand.

Edit: As for your last post, are you sure you bought it on your account? No one gets the riding skill free. You either pay for it via TP, with the pack you got or you earn it at level 20 if you're VIP.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

I went to Skills in the LOTRO store and it says that there is nothing for me to buy. I am Premium, does that make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Davingrim View Post
    I went to Skills in the LOTRO store and it says that there is nothing for me to buy. I am Premium, does that make a difference?
    It sounds to me like you may have bought the pack for her and not you. Check your email (not hers) that is tied to your account for order confirmation. If it's not there, then you haven't bought it for your account.

In the store, it will be listed under Travel & Housing > Travel Traits

If you don't see the sole Riding Trait (Not Apprentice or Journeyman Riding Trait), you have access to the riding skill. If it does appear in the store, you don't have it.
    And Fourteen Other Alts

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    If he has the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack, he already has the riding skill as it comes with it (it's an account wide riding skill actually).

Has the transaction gone through? If so, have you relogged since making the purchase?

Your account should be premium once you purchased it, if you were F2P beforehand.

Edit: As for your last post, are you sure you bought it on your account? No one gets the riding skill free. You either pay for it via TP, with the pack you got or you earn it at level 20 if you're VIP.
    How can I confirm that the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack is applied to my character? I received the key code in email and I applied it to my account. I have logged in and out many times since I started.

How can I confirm that the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack is applied to my character? I received the key code in email and I applied it to my account. I have logged in and out many times since I started.
    Did you purchase only the one? If so, and your wife has got it, it sounds like you applied the code to her account, not yours.
    And Fourteen Other Alts

It sounds to me like you may have bought the pack for her and not you. Check your email (not hers) that is tied to your account for order confirmation. If it's not there, then you haven't bought it for your account.

In the store, it will be listed under Travel & Housing > Travel Traits

If you don't see the sole Riding Trait (Not Apprentice or Journeyman Riding Trait), you have access to the riding skill. If it does appear in the store, you don't have it.
    I definitely bought it twice (and applied two different key codes to each of our accounts).

I have the 4th Inventory Bag and Bay Steed on my account (but it still says 'Riding' required:

Prepare for your journey through Middle-earth like Samwise Gamgee!

- The Bay Steed & Riding Skill

- 4th Inventory Bag

- Currency Cap

I definitely bought it twice (and applied two different key codes to each of our accounts).

I have the 4th Inventory Bag and Bay Steed on my account (but it still says 'Riding' required:

Prepare for your journey through Middle-earth like Samwise Gamgee!

- The Bay Steed & Riding Skill

- 4th Inventory Bag

- Currency Cap
    Okay, one last thing...

Open your skills panel and go to Passive skills. Do you have one called "Novice"?
    And Fourteen Other Alts

Okay, one last thing...

Open your skills panel and go to Passive skills. Do you have one called "Novice"?
    Yes, I have Novice. I believe that earlier on, it told me that I needed Novice to try to ride. Now when I click on the horse, it does nothing. Under passive Skills I have Novice only. My wife, under Passive Skills, has Riding and Novice. Both of our accounts say Premium and like I said before, I have the Bay Steed and the 4th Inventory Bag (not sure how to check Currency Cap) so I'm pretty sure that I have applied the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack properly to my account as well.

It does look like a bug then. If you're gonna be in game for the next hour or two, you can try contacting customer support via a ticket while in game. GMs are generally faster in game (usually reply within an hour in my experience) and since you've made a purchase recently, you should have access to it for 30 days, IIRC.

Explain to them the problem as thoroughly as you can. GM's may not be able to handle this though, I'm not sure. If you'd rather fill out a ticket in your browser, go here:

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...?style=classic

Reply to the auto-reply you receive in your e-mail to verify you still have a problem, and support should get to you within a week. They're a bit slow, but they've handled things quickly once they get to you.

I hope you get this sorted out soon though.

Edit: to help get you started, use the following in the ticket boxes

Game- LotRO
    Support Team- LotRO Account/Store Support
    Request Type- Point or Store Inquiry
    Specific Point or Store Inquiry- Purchased Item or Access not received
    And Fourteen Other Alts

It does look like a bug then. If you're gonna be in game for the next hour or two, you can try contacting customer support via a ticket while in game. GMs are generally faster in game (usually reply within an hour in my experience) and since you've made a purchase recently, you should have access to it for 30 days, IIRC.

Explain to them the problem as thoroughly as you can. GM's may not be able to handle this though, I'm not sure. If you'd rather fill out a ticket in your browser, go here:

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...?style=classic

Reply to the auto-reply you receive in your e-mail to verify you still have a problem, and support should get to you within a week. They're a bit slow, but they've handled things quickly once they get to you.

I hope you get this sorted out soon though.

Edit: to help get you started, use the following in the ticket boxes

Game- LotRO
    Support Team- LotRO Account/Store Support
    Request Type- Point or Store Inquiry
    Specific Point or Store Inquiry- Purchased Item or Access not received
    Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll go open a ticket now.

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll go open a ticket now.
    Good luck. And let us know if/when you get it fixed. If it was an actual bug or something we overlooked while trouble shooting, it'll help in the future if someone has a similar problem.
    And Fourteen Other Alts

The Samwise Gamgee Pack gives all your characters a brownish gift box which you can click to open it. When opened, the box will put two items into your inventory: the Bay Steed (which looks like a horse's head) and an item that looks like a piece of paper. Right-click that paper to use it and it will give you the Riding Skill and disappear. After that, right-click the steed to add a Bay Steed skill to the Mounts sectiuon of your Skills panel.

To make certain things are working as they should, you can also roll a new, temporary character. Just log it in and look for the gift-box. If it's there, use it and you should get both the Steed and the Riding paper. If any of these items doesn't appear for you, something is wrong.

Anyelir,
    That was it! I didn't click on that paper. Everything is working fine now!

Thanks everyone, this forum is great for help!