We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    The AH's low prevalence of lowlevel to midlevel items has nothing to do with serverpopulation.

Low level to mid level items simply don't sell for enough silver/gold compared to raw materials, so noone bothers to post them on the AH.
    Quite. When someone is leveling, they don't really care for what's on the AH. Why spend the little silver you have on armor that will be redundant in five levels after you find something much better via a mob drop or quest reward. My guardian is working on her Woodworker skill, and when she crits on weapons, she posts in trade that she's giving away the weapons for free to anyone who wants them. She might get an offer but usually she won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    The AH's low prevalence of lowlevel to midlevel items has nothing to do with serverpopulation.

Low level to mid level items simply don't sell for enough silver/gold compared to raw materials, so noone bothers to post them on the AH.

Making the AH encompass all servers will increase the pool, but won't change the economics.

What could be done however was this: a system of posting orders instead of items. Player A places an order for a level 35 teal crafted sword, player B crafts it and places the product. Player A recieves product, player B recieves silver.

As long as such a system doesn't exist, and even if it ever comes into fruitition, you best option is however: ask a kinnie! Half the time you mightn't even need the mats!

Well its not using just the Ah its about using all the things I pointed out, if you just one variable your right its not alone a sign but add up all my variables and it will hit dead on every time. but I can bet you go on the Big 3 US servers and the AH is not empty. Are you really saying that if you log onto a server and the AH has not 1 item in it below 40 levels that that server is healthy? I am sorry that is a very good starting point that a server is dead and dying.

Overhauling the AH is not going to make the server one bit healthier that would just help to make it possible for the dead serves to help supply needed items. Every time I post that the AH is like a barometer for server health. I always get someone saying its not, but I already said 6 months ago that Brandywine, Landrovel and Meneldor where the only healthy servers left and that still holds true today.

I see the same thing here everyone says, Leave My server alone! because closing the servers would make things hard for you. Well how hard will be for you if they don't close the servers, but let me ask you this how hard will it make it if they shut the game down altogether.

I already started to 9 months ago rolled out my 10 characters on my Main account and my 2nd account I have my 8 there as well, so I am set up nice now on the Big 3. I don't have there crafts all done yet but setting up and running 54 new toons takes a bit. If you think moving a few toons is hard you should try that then you would really have something to complain about.

I know many really don't want to move there Characters and would rather sit on that dead server but there is a ripple affect by keeping them dead servers running. This game depends on new people that come try the game out fall in love with it and open there wallet. Not the F2P as much as they think there the ones that keep this game running there not. F2P was a way to get people try the game and buy the content or sub. Not roll up there 1 or 2 characters and power level them to 85.

So for the most part they have about a month to impress the new customer and get them hooked and turned them into a paying customer if in that 30 days that new player lands on just about any server but the Big 3 here in the states or in the EU on one of there big 3 servers more then likely that that turn over rate from F2P to paying and staying won't happen because in that month maybe they level to 30th level or so and if there end up on one of those Dead servers unless there not real bright they don't make the turn over to a paying customer and for the most part move along on there Grail for that great new game to play.

Now this has a ripple effect too. Every time someone comes here sets up a account and leaves instead of telling all his buddies what a great game he found and that they can set it up for free, the system of F2P breaks down right there and now even worst he tells them how dead the game is and not only loose him as a customer they loose all there friends too.

I have leveled characters on some of these servers that you say are not dead and trust me there dead! I went thru 30 levels of nothing not a soul unless I was in Bree.

Now I know that everyone thinks this is a solo game, but the truth is I don't think to many people start to play a MMO RPG to find themselves lonesome. I would say that these dead servers should at the least get listed as for Solo play so they stop scaring off customers.

So My Point is the reason they need to shut them down and compact has nothing to do with what we like or don't like! Its just the way they do it when server populations drop off badly. It just makes good business sense and its a common thing to happen in MMO when this happens.

BuT hay your in luck they never fix anything here so they will just keep them dead servers right here just the way you guys like it limping on life support. Ya nothing better but to have that Nice dead Coma server.

I wish they would set the game difficulty back to just a year ago and then I would like to see what U say about being on a dead server.

I was just wondering why did you all that like being on a dead server ever start to play a MMO in the first place is you wanted a solo game? Just wondering *rollingmyeyes*

Now you also know why in the Game Spot review of LOTRO HD expanision they called this game "a aging MMO" now don't shoot the messenger but I must agree but I did not not say it. I just repeated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    You'll get a clean server-list with no Last World Played and the Recommended Server on top of the list. When you've satisfied your curiosity, copy the untempered-with file back into the original folder and re-start the launcher.
    I guess Evernight is recommended. There are still issues with that system that could easily be addressed to help steer new players towards their desired server (low pop/med pop/high pop) etc. I remember when taking a C++ programming class we'd design programs with the least coding possible to suit our narrow scoped needs. Then we'd go back and describe how to make them more robust.

Anyways, sorta back to the topic..It doesn't appear Turbine is interested in player retention. They're simply interested in an incredibly high turn-over rate of players who cash splurge (aka facebook style games). Even if there were 100 players per a server, it'd still be best to not merge servers simply because it doesn't matter whether there is 1 person on a server or 1,000.

Unhappy

Guys, I love lotro like you wouldn't believe. Every expansion i've bought has been the most expensive one, even the "grindy" legendary routine I get along with. That is why I ask that instead of refusing to believe that the game is dying, let's be PROACTIVE and suggest real ideas to really give this game a second wind. I really really don't want to lose my Lotro this or next year. But I'm not blind, every month there's less active players and that's an ominous sign, despite all of you saying how much you like being alone. You might like it, but the powers that be do not and thus we really need to get some ideas going that would result in an influx of new players.

First of all, Server Consolidation is a 2 bladed weapon, and I am actually, as of right now against it, but I do know that it's not possible to have such dead AH and such dead instances. We need to make global AH and global Looking for groups a la World of Warcraft. This is true. We really need to make it so that you queue for a skirmish or an instance and you don't have to wait 3 hours to get a group going, rather just a few mins. Basically Fold the Servers by any other name, but excusing yourself of all the negative feedback.

More suggestions are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazus View Post
    Guys, I love lotro like you wouldn't believe. Every expansion i've bought has been the most expensive one, even the "grindy" legendary routine I get along with. That is why I ask that instead of refusing to believe that the game is dying, let's be PROACTIVE and suggest real ideas to really give this game a second wind. I really really don't want to lose my Lotro this or next year. But I'm not blind, every month there's less active players and that's an ominous sign, despite all of you saying how much you like being alone. You might like it, but the powers that be do not and thus we really need to get some ideas going that would result in an influx of new players.

First of all, Server Consolidation is a 2 bladed weapon, and I am actually, as of right now against it, but I do know that it's not possible to have such dead AH and such dead instances. We need to make global AH and global Looking for groups a la World of Warcraft. This is true. We really need to make it so that you queue for a skirmish or an instance and you don't have to wait 3 hours to get a group going, rather just a few mins. Basically Fold the Servers by any other name, but excusing yourself of all the negative feedback.

More suggestions are welcome.
    A global AH and instance finder simply isn't possible now. The old CM servers and NA servers have a fundamental issue with the database schema. Fixing that, cheaply, has to come first. The same thing applies to merges. Only CM to CM would work and NA to NA would work.

I play on one of the smallest servers, and there are always enough players for groups and the AH is fine for what people want to trade. Even /glff and /trade see plenty of usage, except when on the oddest of hours.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

I don't think a server merge is needed at all.

If I go to Forlaw or Hytbold, a lot of areas in the game really, I'm definitely going to see quite a few people playing. Sometimes GLFF is a little empty but theres good days and bad days. So I'm going to go ahead and say that IMO Brandywine has a well balanced population.

would not mind if my server would merge with other servers... the more the merrier...

I would not like to see the AH merged. I know how it looks like in GW2. There are advantages that comes with a smaller market for example the price for a given item is not preset for you everytime. Its more fun imo to be able to set the price the way you want it and have a reasonable chance someone will buy it. Merging AH with other servers does not take into account the fact that every server plays different. Differencies in pricing between servers due to player count etc is ruined. I would not like to sell an item in such an auction if I would have to sell it at a lower price than what is normal pricing on my server. Likewise I wouldn't like to buy an item that is overpriced compared to the economy of my server.
    A consolidated AH will be flat and boring!

There are too few people in open landscape zones that are not near the level cap. Top level zones has a buzzling activity. Problem is people level past the lower level zones quickly. Solution would be a semi-merge. Merging top level content zones would result in an overly populated area with bad consequences like lag. Merging lower level zones would result in a more balanced player activity, with reasonable chances to group up and do lower-than-cap level instances while leveling or other grouping.

But a semi-merge is like "huh what, beg your pardon?". How to relate to problems like kinship, grouping with players on another server, housing etc. only partially? Seems like something that would be awesome to see if it worked but I doubt it will ever work.

Another one of these threads?

Clearly the ones who aren't seeing anyone simply are not playing.
    There are tons of people still playing LOTRO.

Last night I saw 10 people in the shire.

10 is alot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3