We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Server Consolidation is Needed . . . but how?

With the HD expansion the level cap will move to 95 and another massive zone will be added. Essentially, the size of the game has doubled since launch. As a result, the population is now spread very thin. The problems caused by the size of the landscape is compounded by the fact (no evidence but likely) that the population is down since this is an older game. Fewer people spread over twice the space make this more of a Minimally rather than Massively Multiplayer Online RPG. Given the above, I'd recommend that Turbine eliminate half the servers. This would pose a ton of challenges and unfortunately, I don't have the solution. Any thoughts?

How do you deal with toon names? People on two merged servers will certainly share a common name.
    How do you deal with housing? Same issue as above.
    How do you handle the press (and forums)? People will broadcast that the game is dying or Turbine is shutting it down, when in fact they are just taking a logical step to manage the growth of the landscape.

These are just a few of the issues, but I think it is an issue that Turbine needs to tackle. It is not just lonely in the lone lands - much of the landscape is desolate.

Leave my Nimrodel alone. I like it just the way it is because I love small servers. Every MMO I ever played, I've always looked for the smaller servers.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I am not seeing a problem here. I like my elbow room.

Look i'm sorry but there is absolutely no way this will happen while character transfers exist.

If you want to move to a high pop server you pay for the privilege. It may happen in the future but there is much milking to be done of character transfers first.

Another f2p doom and gloom hit piece ?
    Holder of a Golden Ticket (lifetime acct)

You probably haven't noticed, but there are several threads in the suggestions forum on the same topic.

All of them have the same response, as well.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    There is no reason to merge or delete servers. Either transfer to one with more people, get some friends to play or play it solo. All three are entirely viable options, and forcing people to change names, kins, homes and more is just out of the question, especially when it's just to convenience you.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Turbine already knows how to handle these issues. Turbine done server merges before - not for Lotro.

Server merges will occur when Turbine decides that it makes sense to do a server merge. As to when that will happen - no idea. A server merge may never occur.

What you can be sure of is that "There are no plans to merge servers" until "The public announcement is made" saying a server merge will occur on mmddyyyy with the listed details as to what is going to happen.

On line game companies do not like to do server merges:

1) There is a significant cost to doing a merge.

2) The company suffer a very noticeable drop in revenue.

3) The game gets a lot of bad press. A merge is an admission that the game is dieing by the operator.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Le Sigh, another doom and gloom thread. If you really are lonely, reroll on a higher(in your opinion) pop server.

I might not need more people on landscape but Auction House needs wider audience.

Maybe AH could be wider than just one server?

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisC View Post
    How do you deal with housing?
    Hmm now that I think about it, maybe the recent housing foreclosure changes stemmed from Turbine gearing up for an impending merge? 'Tis possible...

It won't ever happen for two main reasons, the first being it would likely force a lot of people that have played the game for years to choose new character names, and how bad it looks to the community when you do server merges.
    -Silverlode- Ithoran 95 Guardian | Ithorano 85 Captain | Velga 85 Burglar | Ithoriel 85 Hunter | Odolier 44 Minstrel | Ithorann 27 Lore-master

Easy. Offer free character transfers and let players sort themselves out. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexendynamus View Post
    free character transfers
    Even less likely to ever happen.
    -Silverlode- Ithoran 95 Guardian | Ithorano 85 Captain | Velga 85 Burglar | Ithoriel 85 Hunter | Odolier 44 Minstrel | Ithorann 27 Lore-master

Would have been nice if Lotro had had single server tech like Eve Online, but it hasn't and I'm sure they are much happier with people paying for individual character transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    Would have been nice if Lotro had had single server tech like Eve Online...
    No thanks. In this setting, doing that would have meant having to instance far more content, layer pretty much everywhere outside instances, make the game world quite a bit larger, etc. Global chat channels (if they didn't cause the chat server to melt down) would be absolutely horrendous. Launch day for any expansion would be far worse than shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

I think typical MMO server sizes like LOTRO uses are better in this type of setting, one which doesn't have 5000+ different destinations to help spread out a gargantuan number of concurrent users.

For the narrow purposes of doing instances, raids, and PvMP, some sort of cross-world matching service might be of benefit. A cross-world AH might too. But I don't want to feel like Middle-earth has the population density of Hong Kong.

Khafar

unlikely to happen...and i love the feeling of a "small" server (whatever that means) makes me feel safe..is like my rl tendencies i hate crowded spaces ..if low pop makes you unhappy then pay and move ( is not a priviledge to move to popular servers like someone said before..thats just nonsense XD )
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    Would have been nice if Lotro had had single server tech like Eve Online, but it hasn't and I'm sure they are much happier with people paying for individual character transfers.
    It works for Eve Online because the amount of landscape is so much bigger than Lotro. Eve has thousands of systems. Each system is similar to one of our regions. Eve gets around some of the load by not having respawns for some of the content. Instead the respawn occurs when the game world is restarted each day. For some of the content, you want to ready to play when the world come back up. Only one player or group gets to do it.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I have thought about this too as I happen to have my main toons on the dead and dying Arkenstone but have rebuilt myself on Brandywine Landrovel and Meneldor and been toying with the idea of moving my wife's and my main off to one of the big 3.

I know many don't like to face the fact but condensing the servers would be good for the game. You have to wonder how many new players roll up toons on a dead server and say phuu I am out of here! Or how many came here to play a MMO and found nobody to group with and left because they did not come to play a solo game.

Also I am sure landing on a server where the The AH is dead is not helping keep new players either.

I think offering some sort of bonus to Move characters or even free one time moves would be a way to get folks to volunteer to move to the less populated server and make level and age of toon restrictions would be good to keep pep's from rolling a new toon just to get the bonus to move instead of rolling on the server.

I just think really condensing the population might give some life back to Fellowships and Lower level raids and instances and increase the try and stay. instead of try and split % a good bit.

I know for those of us that have been her for a year or so already the best server to start on but that's not where the problem is it's the new guy's that land on those server where there is not a thing on the AH til 45 level or Moria.

I just think that even if they could merge 2 or 3 of the worst off server it could be good for all. They did do something very close in DDO when they shut down the EU severs and at first it was a rough for all but later it did work out pretty good.

The other point too is it would make the game cost them a bit less to maintain. I Big servers do cost a good bit to maintain.

But no matter is this is a good idea and make good sense that would be just the reason they will never do it. I have lost all faith in the powers that be here since the WB takeover. I am not sure what they are thinking over there in the CEO office but it don't look or smell very good at all *lol*

I mean I have never seen the amount of Doom and Gloom post as U do here and around the web. Go on Faceblotch Twittter and sites like that U just see a ere of boding Gloom. They even got slammed by Gamespot call this a Aging MMO. I am sorry if this offends anyone but this game has got a real bad stink of death about it. Just like back when they went F2p they need badly to do something to re-kindle the fire and spark the next generation of new players or the Elfs won't be the only one leaving middle earth.

My self I am only still here by a thread. I left already once after UD 10 when they started with all the craft XP, open tapping Festival XP. Then I came back when they fixed the warded and made a Agility Class and more fitting to the elf like it should as the Machwardens where Elf's not men and adding the forced emote toggle brought me back after 3 months

At this point they need to shake this game up Even there own words for the sales pitch for Hd sounds Grim "Experience the finale of Rohan's Epic Story" it make you think its the last.

No Matter in truth it will never happen. but it's fun to say what if?
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    dead and dying
    has anyone here read On death and dying? because, I just realized this thread , other related thread and the posts in them reflect one or more of the stages of facing death...some in denial..others in acceptance..ect
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

I used to play City of Heroes. That sometimes would have a dozen people on the server.

And while it's true that got shut down, it was actually still making fairly decent money (just not enough for the greedy people at NCSoft)

This is way more populated than that. Only server that seems really empty is Gilrain.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Isn't it up to those on the server to play their part and be active in it as well? I see people saying they're on dead servers... it's only as dead as you make it. All the servers have a decent sized player base, some moreso than others, but if you opt to not be social or say anything and only look for raids and fellowship invites, of course it's gonna seem smaller.

Gladden feels small at times. Then you hop in one day and everyone in an area is laughing and having fun. It really only takes a handful of people to get the ball rolling. I spent the last three days in The Shire doing starter quests not because I was talking to people the whole way through. The birthday event brought out the sociability of many people, and I imagine that things will quiet down again after it's over. That doesn't automatically make it dead though.

The best way to make the server seem alive, and in fact, be alive is to make friends and be sociable to everyone you meet. Exude an air of friendliness and they're more likely to do the same because they're not the only one doing it. I sometimes think that many people are afraid to talk, for fear of annoying another. If someone gets annoyed, they can ignore people. I remember a time earlier this year where someone was telling people to stop talking so much because he wanted to play rather than see other people talk. A large majority told him to either ignore everyone or unsubscribe to the channel they were talking in (OOC, I believe).
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by MithrilMinded View Post
    has anyone here read On death and dying? because, I just realized this thread , other related thread and the posts in them reflect one or more of the stages of facing death...some in denial..others in acceptance..ect
    Now I am not sure where your going with the death and dying as deed like deep six or the gloom and doom of lotro? if the latter ? then that was my point many threads have that smell about them or the feel of the grim reaper being right on LOTRO heals even on off site posting like Gamespot Facebook and more. Now if your talking the deep six tyoe then I have no clue where your going with it as it would not pertain to this thread.
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

I just hope they don't add new servers.
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

The servers always fill up again when new content is added. Seen it happen time and time again.

I am happy that my servers glff always has at least 100 players in it at the graveyard shift times I play. I don't want to be on a high population server. I prefer the calm nature of my server.

If the OP has issues with his server then Elvis should leave the building and move to a higher population server that will relieve his low population anxiety levels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast