We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Another expansion predictions

I am not sure if I doubled the subject but I wonder what will be next after Helm's Deep. Have you got any idea? I started playing LOTRO since Mirkwood expansion so still I'm not an experienced gamer but from one expansion to another I've started to lurk deeper into this world. Well I'm very excited that the game is instantly being developed by the programmers but what would You aim for another expansion? How far will they go ?

Their (very rough) plan is to go to Gondor and then Mordor. How that will actually be translated into expansions nobody knows at this point (likely not even Turbine). The next update after HD will very likely be just a new minor zone (like Enedwaith, Great River or Wildermore).

The next expansion (following the path of The Lord of the Rings sequence of events) will most likely take us into Gondor in 2015 and culminating in The Battle of Pelennor Fields in 2016.

The new battle tech to be used in the Helm's Deep expansion will no doubt be the foundation for the last and greatest battle of the War of the Ring.
    Welden of Elendilmir

I see Mordor (and quite possibly part of Gondor) and beyond as a totally new game in order to update the aging Lotro gaming engine which will already be 13+ years old (which is ancient in computer program years).
    Welden of Elendilmir

Do You think the game will end at the same point as the book did? Or are there chances to develop further more?

Quote Originally Posted by Luthoruc View Post
    Do You think the game will end at the same point as the book did? Or are there chances to develop further more?
    That all depends on a couple of things:

1. Licensing

2. Projected Revenue
    Welden of Elendilmir

I would love if this game was like a neverending story Someone on this board already said that one of lotro pros is "a player can feel to be a part of the whole middle earth" and what we do here just make at least some sense....

Quote Originally Posted by Luthoruc View Post
    I would love if this game was like a neverending story Someone on this board already said that one of lotro pros is "a player can feel to be a part of the whole middle earth" and what we do here just make at least some sense....
    Yeah, well, unfortunately the epic story does end (some time before the book does) with Sauron's downfall, and as he's 'the Lord of the Rings' it can't really be the same without him. You can already see that in the Scouring of the Shire which is hobbit-scale heroics, sort of, seeing off some scruffy thugs and not even having the satisfaction of sending Saruman packing, as Wormtongue murders him. And then what? Decidedly un-epic happenings compared to what went before, with only the prospect of the Gondorians and the Rohirrim going off beating up Easterlings or Southrons at some point, i.e. one bunch of Men fighting a conventional war against another bunch of Men, and where on earth would hobbits, Elves or Dwarves fit into that?

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Yeah, well, unfortunately the epic story does end (some time before the book does) with Sauron's downfall, and as he's 'the Lord of the Rings' it can't really be the same without him. You can already see that in the Scouring of the Shire which is hobbit-scale heroics, sort of, seeing off some scruffy thugs and not even having the satisfaction of sending Saruman packing, as Wormtongue murders him. And then what? Decidedly un-epic happenings compared to what went before, with only the prospect of the Gondorians and the Rohirrim going off beating up Easterlings or Southrons at some point, i.e. one bunch of Men fighting a conventional war against another bunch of Men, and where on earth would hobbits, Elves or Dwarves fit into that?
    Wormtounge murdering Saurman never happened in the books, only in the extended scene of PJ's movie and in several other LOTRO games.

2014's quest pack probably be Paths of the dead with the March to Gondor late (Oglisath) 2014 or early 2015 and Pelannor feilds being in mid/late 2015 then the White City being in 2016 spring and Shadows of Mordor being in mid/late 2016.

If they plan to shut servers down a year or 2 after Mordor, they probably go with a big bang and let Sauron and Balrogs run wield.

actually in the books wormtongue does kill saruman in the shire
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000072b33/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by kmac15310 View Post
    actually in the books wormtongue does kill saruman in the shire
    Huh? Guess I forgot or something or never read that part. Been a long time since I last read anything based on LOTRO or Middle Earth.

Book and page if you can please.

I don't have the book at the moment but at the end of return of the king during the scourging of the shire, the hobbits then kill wormtongue
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000072b33/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Dam and I just so happen to had lost that book when I moved.

Quote Originally Posted by lioheart View Post
    Dam and I just so happen to had lost that book when I moved.
    Here's a reminder of what happens:

Saruman laughed. 'You do what Sharkey says, always, don't you, Worm? Well, now he says: follow!' He kicked Wormtongue in the face as he grovelled, and turned and made off. But at that something snapped: suddenly Wormtongue rose up, drawing a hidden knife, and then with a snarl like a dog he sprang on Saruman's back, jerked his head back, cut his throat, and with a yell ran off down the lane. Before Frodo could recover or speak a word, three hobbit-bows twanged and Wormtongue fell dead.

- RotK, 'The Scouring of the Shire'

I personally would love Turbine to add in more of southern Eradior and possibly Harad, Khand, and Rhun after Mordor. But I kinda doubt it. I would love a desert and jungle environment to explore in this game though.