We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Man Burglar or Hobbit Burglar? Which is better?

I am starting a new class and I want to try the burglar but I am having difficulty choosing between the man or hobbit race. Which race of burgler is better? All advice will be very much appreciated, thanks

I have a burglar as my main. I personally think that hobbits make better burglars in the current Pre Helms deep system. They have better stats for stealth and at higher ranks have more means of going into stealth and avoiding agro than humans. (specifically the hobbit stealth and "play dead" traits)

Now after Helms deep its going to be a whole new ballgame. One I personally am looking forward to seeing how its changed and rolling new toons.

just my two copper

Quote Originally Posted by Kellzarr View Post
    I am starting a new class and I want to try the burglar but I am having difficulty choosing between the man or hobbit race. Which race of burgler is better? All advice will be very much appreciated, thanks
    Hobbits get to throw stones as a racial trait, which is possibly the only range attack a burglar has other than throwing axes. Plus, they're just a lot cuter.

In the long run, either choice is just as good as the other. Each race has benefits over the other races so pick what you think is going to be more enjoyable.
    Nimrodel: The Last Alliance
    At Cap: Trelrandir, Aulindyr, Venrilathan, Dralok, Thralok, Tharsuus, Ieloch, Faromond, Endilhelm and Kolbret.
    Level 50 Club: Harathanor, Myriae and Gordiadoc.

Man has sword bonus, and since swords offer a parry bonus, that tends to be a big draw. (Hobbits have a club bonus that offers little.)

The hobbit racial sneak and play dead traits are redundant for burgs, as they have sneak and Hide in Plain Sight skills that are more potent.

However men get a significant heal which is really useful. They also get an evade/parry bonus that's really useful for burgs and is a key to burg survivability.

Also, ports, Hobbits go to Michel Delving, which nobody wants to go to (farmers used to, but now they can farm in Bree). Men get a port to Bree which everyone wants to go to all the time, and is the hub that gets you anywhere else.

But, hobbits are cute. (Hence my minstrel is a hobbit, which also benefits from the possum ability.)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

I prefer hobbits but only because of the looks and cute emotes (/flip !). Regarding burglars, I did not like some skill animations when I tried a human race and that's why I rerolled my burg as a hobbit. And now.. now I regret that my hunter and mini are not hobbits as well
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Kadarka - MNS 105 / Ishtarel - HNT 105 / Ishtaridas - LRM 105
    Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105

The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Hobbits are better in every way.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#f0fff0][I]Trilli M Thistletoes ~ Hobbit Hunter of Gladden, Landroval & Crickhollow[/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Also, ports, Hobbits go to Michel Delving, which nobody wants to go to (farmers used to, but now they can farm in Bree). Men get a port to Bree which everyone wants to go to all the time, and is the hub that gets you anywhere else.
    Anyone can obtain the Bree port, though, human or not. If not a human, you just have to be Kindred with the men of Bree, and then purchase it from an NPC outside the hunter's lodge in South Bree.

However, the Bree port is available through reputation for other races, while the Michel Delving port is only available through the store for non-Hobbits for some odd reason. So, Hobbits can get both ports without the store, and don't need to waste a trait slot if they only need the Bree port...
    But none of that has anything to do with Burglars really.

I agree that the other Hobbit traits are a bit redundant for Burglars, so slight advantage for Men, but nothing the Hobbit cuteness couldn't compensate IMHO

Maybe I will start a second Burglar with Helm's Deep, this time a Hobbit instead of Race of Man.
    Just for the fun of stabbing mobs in their 3 letters...

-edit-
    whoops, Toramarthen was faster

Yups, both of you share valid info, but still moot, as none of my myriad hobbits have ever used the Michel Delving port aside from the farmer, back before farming became available in Bree. However all my characters have gotten/used the Bree port excessively, along with Bree housing port, and Bree kin port. ;-) I stand by all my reasons to man burg. (Want a hobbit? Make a mini.)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Man has sword bonus, and since swords offer a parry bonus, that tends to be a big draw. (Hobbits have a club bonus that offers little.)
    Burglars have passive traits called Dagger Training which gives them extra damage with daggers. All the best burglar weapons put into the game such as the Gold 85 class weapon are daggers. I don't think it's good for a Burg to use a sword.

Yups, both of you share valid info, but still moot, as none of my myriad hobbits have ever used the Michel Delving port aside from the farmer,
    Oh i see, so because "you" dont use the MD port, all other peoples opinions in the playerbase are "moot"... wow.

I have a hobbit burg, and a hobbit warden, and they use that port all the time. There are myriad reasons why you might return to the Shire, such as 6 festivals a year? the MD port is the only direct way to do so.

Hobbit >> Man for all classes, which is why there's no point bothering with junk classes like Captain and Champion and Lore-master.

That is all.

Let me know if you want to compare hobbits with elves and/or dwarves. I can help with that also.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

To be serious:

Just choose the race you want to. It is that simple!

Hobbit is the only option.

Every self respecting person picks a hobbit
    Just imagine that lil guy wearing a hood and stabbing orcs.... Yeah.
    [color=green][Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin][/color]
    [color=red]Member of Puliveivarit[/color]
    [color=green]I was a corner survivor[/color]

The hobbit racial sneak and play dead traits are redundant for burgs, as they have sneak and Hide in Plain Sight skills that are more potent.

However men get a significant heal which is really useful. They also get an evade/parry bonus that's really useful for burgs and is a key to burg survivability.

But, hobbits are cute. (Hence my minstrel is a hobbit, which also benefits from the possum ability.)
    Sorry for double post, but this post was so full of bad information that I couldn't help myself.

Sword bonus is bad. Burgs should use daggers as they get the class exclusive "dagger training" which is as powerful as the racial passive. Also daggers have +% auto-attack critical chance which means more crit procs for burglar critical chains. At 85 burglars get easily 23~% evade and about 14-15% parry so man passive is quite meh.

Racial sneak: Very good way to drop off "trackings" while your main stealth is on 10sec cd, has saved me many times. Play dead is super useful when you need to do ninja pulls or such, also great way to drop aggro without wasting hips.
    The manheal these days is useless, 2.5k heal with damn long animation

Hobbits don't get parry or evade, but they get passive +% shadow mitigation and 20 might= mitigations.

Michel delving is great now especially there's bounder bounty
    [color=green][Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin][/color]
    [color=red]Member of Puliveivarit[/color]
    [color=green]I was a corner survivor[/color]

Hobbit is THE best choice since they have the most important skill of all races: the ability to laugh so hard that they fall over
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Wink

Hobbit burglar cause they are more cute! Need more reasons? A hobbit stabbing a nazgul on its knee & making it fall to his dead, when no man could kill it.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Finland, having a costume party with Jon Sandheaver
    Didn't see this pointed out yet so I'll say it: Even if you don't have Bree port skill yet, you can take swift travel from MD for about 1 silver even if you're f2p. It won't delay your adventuring much more than 15 seconds. So, it's quite the same which port skill you have..

Quote Originally Posted by TharbadThief View Post
    Didn't see this pointed out yet so I'll say it: Even if you don't have Bree port skill yet, you can take swift travel from MD for about 1 silver even if you're f2p. It won't delay your adventuring much more than 15 seconds. So, it's quite the same which port skill you have..
    You purchased a ride to West Bree - Swift Travel for 70 copper coins.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

My post has nothing to do with play style, but with LOOKS! My son has a man burglar, all dressed in black, who really LOOKS like a burglar! He would be watched by every law enforcement type every step he took. But who would suspect a my cute little hobbit girl with pigtails and giggles? She couldn't POSSIBLY be up to anything!
    Officer and elder member of the Claws of Abigail kin.

I picked Hobbit for my Burglar simply because of the racial port.
    You can barter for a Return to Bree skill with Barrow Treasures, but you can't get a Return to Michel Delving skill unless you're either a Hobbit or willing to purchase it with TP (I'm not).

Humans take less damage the hobbits, and they get healed for a bit more. As such, they are slightly more survivable then hobbits. However, it's a very small difference, so unless you like tackling extremely challenging situations, the race won't matter most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nelar View Post
    Humans take less damage the hobbits, and they get healed for a bit more.

Humans take less damage than hobbits? Please explain.

Humans get healed for a bit more? Please explain.

Well Race of Man has a passive +5% bonus to incoming healing. And yes, it does affect self-healing from Mischievous Glee, and even morale potions if I'm not mistaken.

However, I'm not aware of any inherent damage reduction, unless he refers to the racial trait "Balance of Man" which increases your avoidance (+ (4 * Level) to Evade, Parry, and Block).
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast