We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How Do You Hotkey Your Gambits?

Hello Fellow Wardens!

I am a 22nd level warden and I do understand the principle of building up your gambits, but I am wondering if I am doing so correctly. So please bear with me.

This is what I currently have in my hot key bars:

Quick Thrust ...Shield Bash....Wardens Taunt....Gambit Default .... is this correct?

On the upper hot key slots that is C1, C2, C3, I have Shield Piercer.....Javelin-Toss....Ambush ... Critical Strike ...Recovery ... Is this correct? (Also is there a quick way other than using one's mouse to access those slots? Is that something I should be programing in my key mapping options?)

Now for the rest of the Skills such as Spear and Spear, Spear and Shield, and Spear and Fist, etc. . Those skill state that "Way of the Spear" Traits need to be slotted. My question is once I have acquired those traits, am I supposed to hot key those as well?

Or, should I be hot keying the Gambits themselves?

Please enlighten me

Aside from that I have been impressed by the wealth of information on how to play a warden and I am really loving the class!

Quote Originally Posted by Roegue View Post
    Hello Fellow Wardens!

I am a 22nd level warden and I do understand the principle of building up your gambits, but I am wondering if I am doing so correctly. So please bear with me.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of wardenism

This is what I currently have in my hot key bars:

Quick Thrust ...Shield Bash....Wardens Taunt....Gambit Default .... is this correct?
    Sounds right. I am presuming that you have them in the quickslot that have numbers (1,2,3,4), doing so makes the gambit a bit easier as a lot of ppl will say use 21 (shield bash + quick thrust).

On the upper hot key slots that is C1, C2, C3, I have Shield Piercer.....Javelin-Toss....Ambush ... Critical Strike ...Recovery ... Is this correct? (Also is there a quick way other than using one's mouse to access those slots? Is that something I should be programing in my key mapping options?)
    Not sure I fully understand what you are asking here. You can use your keyboard for those skills by pressing the CTRL key and then the appropriate number (e.g. CTRL+1 for Shield Piercer)

Now for the rest of the Skills such as Spear and Spear, Spear and Shield, and Spear and Fist, etc. . Those skill state that "Way of the Spear" Traits need to be slotted. My question is once I have acquired those traits, am I supposed to hot key those as well?
    Any skill placed in a quick slot has a key mapping. If you look at the quickbars they all should have a #, a letter and a # and so on. The ones with #'s, you just press that number to trigger the skill. If it has a 'C' then you press the CTRL key and the number, if it has an 'A' the you hold the ALT key and press the number.

Or, should I be hot keying the Gambits themselves?

Please enlighten me

Aside from that I have been impressed by the wealth of information on how to play a warden and I am really loving the class!
    When you build up a gambit it automatically shows up in the 'Gambit Default' slot for you, so you don't need to do anything with gambits in your quickslots.

Thank for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Ullr_of_Aesir View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of wardenism

Sounds right. I am presuming that you have them in the quickslot that have numbers (1,2,3,4), doing so makes the gambit a bit easier as a lot of ppl will say use 21 (shield bash + quick thrust).

Not sure I fully understand what you are asking here. You can use your keyboard for those skills by pressing the CTRL key and then the appropriate number (e.g. CTRL+1 for Shield Piercer)

Any skill placed in a quick slot has a key mapping. If you look at the quickbars they all should have a #, a letter and a # and so on. The ones with #'s, you just press that number to trigger the skill. If it has a 'C' then you press the CTRL key and the number, if it has an 'A' the you hold the ALT key and press the number.

When you build up a gambit it automatically shows up in the 'Gambit Default' slot for you, so you don't need to do anything with gambits in your quickslots.

Why is it every Warden I see has their Gambit Default on 4, and the Gambit Builders on 1, 2, and 3? I have my Gambit Default on 1 and my Gambit Builders on 2, 3, and 4. :P
    Eniigmatik | Exploit

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrcsBane View Post
    Why is it every Warden I see has their Gambit Default on 4, and the Gambit Builders on 1, 2, and 3? I have my Gambit Default on 1 and my Gambit Builders on 2, 3, and 4. :P

Hmm does it matter where the gambit default is located? I am kinda of new at this and I am open to suggestions
    Last edited by Roegue; Sep 20 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Builders: spear 1, shield 2, fist 3
    Masteries: sp-sp ctrl+1, sh-sh ctrl+2, fi-fi ctrl+3, sp-sh alt+1, sh-sp alt+2, fi-sp alt+3, sp-fi shift+1, sh-fi shift+2, fi-sh shift+3
    It's just what works for me. I keep toss on 5, shield piercer on 6, hampering on 7, wages of fear on 8, ambush 9, and critical strike 0
    I keep emergency skills to the far right and just use my mouse for them. Also, the reason most wardens put gambit default on 4 is because you hit builders more than you hit the default.

Having 1=spear, 2=shield, 3=fist is quite common so most of time I refer to gambits as number series, 32313 for example, in stead of name. Mostly becouse i don't even remember all the names, but i remember how its built and what it does. :-P

But it does not matter where you slot your skills, as long as it feels natural to you.

Masteries i have in q-e (fist masteries), a-d (shield masteries) and z-c (spear masteries.) Some play using numpad for gambit builders and masteries, some have skills set up in the right end of keyboards letters. Of course some are just clicking masteries, but i'm too clumsy with my mouse to do that efficently. I strognly suggest to edit your keymapping if you dislike cliking, try out different ways and find the thing you can use witout twisting your hands too much and not compromising on accuracy and speed to move around. While tanking and in moors that is important.

There is file lotro.keymap in ...\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online -folder. I made backup from it and when i made inappropriate keymap, i shut down lotro and switched the file back to original.

Also, warning: the keymap you edit affects all characters you play.

Thank you all, your input is invaluable!

I have spear on Q, shield on Y and fist on Z. Gambit default is =.

No not really. But the point is: you should place them where ever you feel comfortable with.
    Feailuve - Aeviternus - Vesanus
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

Hello,

You can place your skill anyway you like and youre felling good when using it.
    I think the better way to do, is to go look some warden video on youtube, and get some inspiration
    This is a video about my 85 warden on Sirannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59bzEH7P6gw

Have fun playing your warden

Keypad for gambits

I use my keypad, at the right hand, for everything gambit related. 1, 2, and 3 are Sp,Sh,T. The keys in the column above 1 are for SpSp,SpSh,SpT, the keys above 2 are for ShSp,ShSh,ShT, etc. My gambit key is the numerical plus, operated by the little finger. Battle Preparation is above the gambit key, on the numerical minus sign. Defiant Challenge is the delete key, below the 1,2,3 row. Beside it, at my thumb, is Quick Recovery. So all my gambits are loaded, built, and executed on the keypad.

My javelins are Page down, left key, up key, and down key--where my thumb rests if I relax my hand. Battle Memory is the right key, just over from the javelins. That's what the right hand does, except for Recovery, which is beside the keypad on the \ key.

The left hand covers movement, first aid/steadfast. In addition, it covers Ambush/Critical Strike. I use the mouse very little. My Hobbit Feign death, for instance, is a seldom used emergency move that I place in an easy to find quickslot, but I don't hotkey it.