We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Your name is gibberish ! Issue .

Hello , I have this problem where I am not allowed to name my character by my real name , Smrdo . I am really offended because you call my name gibberish . What would you feel like If I called your name garbage . My question is whether you could unlock this nick ?

It's considered gibberish because English names (which, as a note, is the language the entire LotR series is based on) have more vowels.

Asking in the forums won't get the system to allow it. Sending in a ticket might, but it's not likely.
    It's usually not a good idea to use your real name anyway.

Gibberish - Unintelligible or meaningless speech or writing. In this case, the United States server will only recognize names and words from the english language and may interpret names from other nationalities as gibberish. This does not mean your name is garbage, this system is only implemented to discourage farmers from getting easy access to the game (most farmers will not use proper English names as they take too much time to find as many are taken - and time is money for them).

I was not able to name my character CptDimples because it came back as gibberish. Even though Cpt is a legitimate English abbreviation for Captain. I had to use CapnDimples to make it work.

Gibberish and garbage are two totally different things. It's not offensive at all.

The real issue is that the name filter does not allow more than 3 consonant letters (as used in Western European languages) in a row. It doesn't account for letters that are semi-vocalic in other languages.

The error message should just tell you this clearly, rather than implying a value judgment ("gibberish") about your choice of names.

So "Rhythms" (minnie?), "Latchstring" (burg) and "Crwth" (minnie), to take 3 valid English words, would not be acceptable.

Hee hee.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Alusius View Post
    Hello , I have this problem where I am not allowed to name my character by my real name , Smrdo . I am really offended because you call my name gibberish . What would you feel like If I called your name garbage . My question is whether you could unlock this nick ?
    I know that feeling, some people tell me everyday that my name is giberish just because they can't recognize it in english... Well just for game purpose, give it a bit flexibility to your character name & add 1 vowel, so you can use your name (sort off). I dont know how is pronounced but maybe "SmArdo" may work.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 30 2013 at 06:40 PM.

I wanted to name a character Mourning and was told it contained offensive language.

Yes, it might be more accurate (and less potentially offensive) if the warning message said something like, "This name is phonetically impossible in English."

Quote Originally Posted by Molochnaya View Post
    I wanted to name a character Mourning and was told it contained offensive language.

Probably added to the shared filter dictionary between DDO and LOTRO - name having been added manually to the filter after characters in DDO named, "Mourning Wood" disappeared.

Maybe. Lol?

[CENTER][IMG]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/temp%20pix/lotro_fishingsig_zps0fda4196.jpg[/IMG]
    Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.[/CENTER]

Aren't you updated, Glibberish is the new "Cool", Yer Good Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Phawnie View Post
    I was not able to name my character CptDimples because it came back as gibberish. Even though Cpt is a legitimate English abbreviation for Captain. I had to use CapnDimples to make it work.
    Actually, you'd best hope nobody reports "CapnDimples" either. The two pertinent rules from the Naming Policy for what is not appropriate:

• Names containing ranks, titles or denotation of power.
    • Misspelled variations or homonyms of any of the above rules.

"Captain", "General", "Lord", etc are all violations of the top rule.

Khafar

I have a toon I named Postmortem, a loremaster. Nothing wrong with that name, but when it came to picking a surname..... I wanted to go with Postmortem Analysis.

Surname refused.... because it contained ANAL.

Not much I can do about it, and turbine isn't going to give one-time exceptions to people because they found something that is very reasonable, but still stopped by the filters. They would have thousands of people coming up with something that is a perfectly fine word but is stopped by the filters because PART of it isn't.

I knew a guy once that came from a town called scunthorpe in England, and wanted to name one of his toons for the local soccer club there of which he was a fan...... well guess what.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on Turbine's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I have a character named Phetchit, complete with a background story that his drunken father would come home each night and holler, "I need a beer ..... fetch it" "I need my pipe ....fetch it" "I need my supper ...... fetch it" So my toon naturally thought his name was Phetchit.
    Then I log on one day to find my name changed and a note that the name had been reported as profane ?? I guess someone took it to be a homonym of "Fat Sh**". That is quite a stretch but some peoples minds seem to work overtime looking for smut.
    Anyway after a long chat with a GM I got my name back.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000bc65f/01001/signature.png]Shumgrin[/charsig]
    Shumgrin Guard/explorer Bookman, LM/Scholar; Phetchit, Gelt, and others:
    All that is required for evil to succeed is for good man to do nothing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Apot View Post
    I have a character named Phetchit, complete with a background story that his drunken father would come home each night and holler, "I need a beer ..... fetch it" "I need my pipe ....fetch it" "I need my supper ...... fetch it" So my toon naturally thought his name was Phetchit.
    Then I log on one day to find my name changed and a note that the name had been reported as profane ?? I guess someone took it to be a homonym of "Fat Sh**". That is quite a stretch but some peoples minds seem to work overtime looking for smut.
    Anyway after a long chat with a GM I got my name back.
    Yes! Some people really go too far. Instead to ask, what that word means they point at you & yell "Stop using profanity!" or simply report you because they have a over active imagination . I have people adress me on a not nice way & accuse me of using profanity because i talked to a fellow latin in his language because he didn't know english.
    ...& i love your character biography!

Hahaha, nice troll thread... Cant believe so many fell for it...

But i wont give it away....

Quote Originally Posted by zagreb000 View Post
    Hahaha, nice troll thread... Cant believe so many fell for it...

But i wont give it away....
    But you posted in it

Quote Originally Posted by zagreb000 View Post
    A hint for the troll victims: Only a really unloving parent would name their child Smrdo...
    It might mean stinky or smelly in Croatian and related languages, but it's not an uncommon nickname where I grew up where most kids had Czech heritage.

It pretty much means "stinker" in Czech, too. I'm fairly certain no one was actually named that, though. But it actually sounds like a good nickname for some hobbits I know!