We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The Bowmaster sounds like the worst nightmare of all tanks. Other than that, I digz.

Quote Originally Posted by bastiat1 View Post
    I think the brevity is deliberate and designed to cater to the current attention span of the casual player base.
    I'm just hoping they're just not quite finished and are simply giving us the general ideas while they work out the specifics. However, I'll agree that it was kinda short; diaries for most other classes have been more detailed. Hopefully we'll get another round of these in the next couple months that will give us the nitty gritty details, showing at least as much as simply telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibraisia View Post
    *Note i cant imagine them giving hunters EVER less than 25m range, even for huntsman
    Makes me question how they are changing RKs. On Live lightning RKs have a 20m range. If hunters have a 25 or 30m mobile dps range then I hope lightning RKs get their range bumped up as well.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Additionally with the sparse nature of the Diaries there is less content for us to obsess over and complain about before we have actually tried the changes and played them. I think that perhaps they have learned they like it better being whined at for more detailed than called names for detailing everything and people not trying it before commenting.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000bd0ff/signature.png]Aidus[/charsig]

"Live and Let Die"

Quote Originally Posted by Aidus View Post
    Agreed. These Dev Diaries are a joke. BAM!

Bowmaster hasn't been the core of most hunters builds in 2 expansions.

I'm not much into minmaxing a character. I mostly roleplay so I can't really comment on the changes. But, I can say that as diaries go, this felt more like a Cliff note than a Diary. I would probably understand it better if it were more in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by BackAgainAndThere View Post
    "...to kite like no other."

Unless hunters do a lot of kiting in PvMP, I don't see how improving kiting will be that useful. I guess Bowmaster it is!

The new Huntsman line is designed around PvMP and patterned after the Blackarrow Skirmisher stance. Hunters have been asking for a stance/line like this for a while

Expect the range to be ~20m...
    Ridduk R14 WL
    Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Inkfinger View Post
    Uhh... *cough* ?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the changes. I actually am looking forward to playing my hunter again. I'm just not sure you accomplished what you were aiming for.

Also do you guys even bother proof reading any more, or are rough drafts the new final draft?

Proof reading was considered to be far too Hardcore. They take a far more casual approach these days.

Please understand your class better before you cry Foul Play!

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Nobody enjoys kiting. Dev could simply have asked. Once.
    This game would stink if I couldn't kite around on my hunter when needed, its fun, I enjoy it immensely on my hunter when the opportunity affords. For example, ToO, fire and frost, the tank gets punted around the room and the Grimms chase after the tank. if you can't kite away, you're probably going to die from grimm AoE. Another example, IP t2c, kiting is basically required, no matter the class to make sure you kill the keg-masters before they reach the egg. So again, don't assume hunters never kite or don't enjoy it.

Also it sounds like they are enhancing the capstone on huntsman to allow for induction based attacks while also kiting which would be huge.

At cap, my hunters have np shooting on the move, they just can't generate Focus very well and it's really just the one ranged skill.
    If you can't generate focus well while moving, you must never be traited fleetness or precision not to mention +focus on crit.

Low cut root, because what you really want to do is kite. Low cut massive BLEED thank you. POISON. MAJOR DPS. My goodness, where will the nerf stop?
    This part I can agree with, also, an improved split shot would have been nice to apply bleed or debuff to make it relevant, or maybe they just got rid of it all together.

P.S. there's an agile rejoinder heal legacy that makes the heal very relevant at end-game.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Aidus View Post
    Hilarious.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Nothing about stances.

Quote Originally Posted by ddave View Post
    Nothing about stances.
    They've been alluding to stances being removed and becoming passive depending on how you trait.... but... we'll see.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Hi Jinjaah -- Great journal, excellent vision for the class, and awesome changes, at least on paper. I can't wait to try out the hunter 2.0 when HD launches. Being able to shoot all my skills on the move, even the induction ones, like the new huntsman line allows for, would really be a dream come true!
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

Turbien i iz disappoint.

I saw the other developer diaries and I feared the Hunter one would suffer the same fate as the others and would provide us little detail. C'mon Turbine, be a bit more generous and tell us more! The stuff we see here seems to be mentioned before in other places. Something like the Cappy dev diary!

"The hunter overall felt like the Bowmaster was the core of the class and venturing into the other lines was being used to supplement it."
    This is true, to be honest. Many Hunters indeed thinks 7-red is the way to go because the obvious DPS-increasing traits/trait bonuses are well, obvious (no offense to red-line Hunters). (2+) blue seems neglected by a handful of Hunters I randomly inspect throughout the map. Yellow seems less neglected on the other hand for moar leet CC, but again, is to support them so they can DPS their way through mobs.

Yeah, back on topic, I have my hopes high regarding the changes, but again:

Critics should consider that trait sets can be switched out of combat. I think having trait sets is supposed to encourage switching sets based on circumstances rather than sticking with one build. Might have an aoe optimised trait set, one optimised for single target one and one for cc and movement. I am hoping the trait sets work like customisable stances.
    Last edited by Idiotvillage; Sep 20 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    Bowmaster hasn't been the core of most hunters builds in 2 expansions.
    Yup, I haven't traited more than 3 red since I first got my blue traits over three years ago (even before RoI when Red was arguably better). I've been a blue line hunter forever, and really found it to be a much more enjoyable playstyle than bowmaster.

I really felt that this dev diary did little more than reiterate what the traitlines already do for hunters, bigger dmg attacks with red, faster inductions in blue, and cc with yellow. The mentioning of more traps for yellow and firing on the move for blue, do little to entice me that these changes will be beneficial. The comment on bowmasters maximizing on their procs piques my curiosity. As well, the cross traiting perks mentioned are things that people already try to do when they trait their off-colours currently so again nothing new there.

Unhappy The Oddball Speaks Out in Disappointment

I am a hunter whose traits mostly come from the Trapper of Foes line. This has been the result of a great deal of experimentation over the years--I have been playing this class since Christmas 2008 and have really taken my time. Despite playing just about every night, I am level 83. This is because I like to see every inch of the map and do every quest--this virtual Middle-Earth is my second home. From what I can see, that makes me REALLY odd.
    And that's fine with me. From playing so much for so long without constantly leveling up, I feel I have a really good grasp on my class, my skills, and my personal needs. I usually play with my husband, who is a champ of the same level as me. Three Trapper of Foes traits with a Huntsman and a Bowmaster mixed in has proven to be the best combination for me, because it allows me to do just the right amount of damage (often as much as he does!) without attracting all of the attention and getting me killed. I understand that many hunters work alone most of the time, and for that Bowmaster or Huntsman might make more sense, though I would say that a thorough understanding of your skills is all that is usually needed if you go with mostly Trapper. For example, with Trapper you may not be able to kill as quickly, but you have better control over how many are rushing at you at once, and if you need to you can always knock one out or send up to two running. I think maybe it comes down to patience. Do you want everything to die very quickly, or do you enjoy a nice little battle?
    Okay, so that is why I have gone yellow most of the way. Now my reaction to the changes, especially to my favourite trait line. Before I read this, i worried about the loss of skills, loss of flexibility, and the threats to do big things to the Trapper of Foes trait line. Having read this so-called Dev Diary, I have the same worries with NEW ONES added to them! Okay, so traps will become skills...we will only be allowed 20, and new traps have been discussed before, so will each kind of trap take up a skill slot? What happens to all of the crafted traps we already have? Will they still be of any use? What about other consumables: bow chants, focus potions, etc? Are the rather pitiful hunter melee skills going to be improved at all? Will changing from one trait line to another affect induction times? Worst of all, will my range be decreased if I don't choose Bowmaster? I work as a largely stationary hunter. I set traps, lure critters into them, shower them with more traps, and snipe them down, sending them running as needed. Not always just like that, of course, but that's the general idea. A decreased range would really change my gameplay style. I'm not unwilling to change, but I'd like to know that the change is coming. I also think it is rather sad that the "improved" ToF line is still going to need help from other lines. I just do not see the distinction between lines that was promised being made here at all.
    I read this "dev diary" with high hopes, remembering the ones in the past in all of their detailed glory. Instead of a proper dev diary we were given something like a teaser (again!) and I am left feeling as if I have just finished reading a mystery novel only to be told at the end that the author doesn't know who did it any more than I do.
    Last edited by snoopcat99; Sep 20 2013 at 01:15 AM.

Some interesting ideas but nothing about survivability here - emergency healing and CC skills.

My fear is that the Bowmaster line will be totally at a loss when the mob gets close, whereas now hunters can daze, slow or fear.

I've made sure to invest in a few self-heals (ring proc, maxed AR, high incoming healing) - what happens to those? Don't mind losing Strength of the Earth or even Press Onward but I wouldn't like to have no heals at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    Critics should consider that trait sets can be switched out of combat. I think having trait sets is supposed to encourage switching sets based on circumstances rather than sticking with one build. Might have an aoe optimised trait set, one optimised for single target one and one for cc and movement. I am hoping the trait sets work like customisable stances.
    So - what happens when circumstances change in combat? Like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by bastiat1 View Post
    I think the brevity is deliberate and designed to cater to the current attention span of the casual player base.
    Too long reply, didn't bother to read it

Seriously though, these so called "diaries" are more or less stating the obvious "you get three trees you can trait in, you'll focus on one but can use the others"... How about some specifics... ANY specifics for that matter for any of the classes. ### is happening to the classes?! We want to know the details (and yes, Orion's mini and champ posts as well as the warden revamp are imo the best dev diaries to this date, THAT is how diaries should look when introducing MAJOR changes to any class), simply saying we're chaning something doesn't really cut it in my book

Having read thru the dev diary there is one thing that stands out ......

Before the revamp, traps felt a little out of place. Not useable in combat, long inductions to place, it felt like a hunter really had to prep before a pull. If this pull was somehow initiated before the hunter was ready, then traps became something they didn’t concern themselves with anymore. Another concern was many mobs the player encountered, became immune to CC, severely limiting the use of traps. When it came time to revamp the trapper line, we wanted to incorporate traps into their rotations and play. Being useable in combat, reducing the induction or removing it in some cases, being able to place them via ground targeted, etc. all seemed to really make traps a lot more fun and engaging to use. Having the trapper get additional debuffs and buffs based off their traps being used on enemies also helped mitigate any perceived loss of importance in group play.

Did the Dev EVER play Hunter?

Traps ARE useable in Combat, (you get 2 traps) when traited in Trapper.
    You can drop up to 4 traps
    Quick Trap has NO induction
    ALL traps had 50/50 chance to hold an on-level mob

The ONLY time a Trap will not hold a mob is since they brought out Mounted Combat and changed the traps actions
    Now instead of holding a mob they apply a speed debuff

With this new Revamp of the Hunter I would like to see a list of what is being changed.
    Being told "We are reworking the Hunter" is not much to go on

Are we getting new skills?

If so.
    Can we have some info on what these might be

If not
    Are we having skills changed/removed?
    Which ones and why?

Unhappy

I see no new information in this dev diary.
    He could at least have given us the max. range in each trait line.
    Last edited by Eliahnus; Sep 20 2013 at 08:34 AM.

I dont like the implication that the hunters range has been changed for huntsman. And the number one issue with all these dev diaries is that they are extremely vague. On one hand, you are giving us very little substance but with the other hand trying to sell us this expansion pack. Transparency is at an all time low. All of these changes as they are put forth sound dandy but they are described very fluidly. I have a feeling there are things coming down the pipe not revealed in these diaries that I may not be a fan of.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000149f75/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    In all likelihood, it'll work exactly like Warsteed trait specs. The question is, will they be stupid enough to make additional spec slots per character purchases or will they be account-wide like the steeds, and will they charge us out the ### for them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast