We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Which classes should I that has good synergy with hunter?

    Hi.

    Basically my girlfriend and I wants to play this game, we're both so 'newbies' to the game.

    She wants to play hunter elf. We want to level up together. So basically, what should I take that fits into the hunter? She has no(besides a bit of DCUO) knowledge of MMORPG in generel, so she pretty much just runs in and hit everything and hope she survives so I have to 'carry' her while also deal some damage. - I can maybe convince her to play something else, if any other duo classes is better. Aslong as she plays something that is easy!

    Also which classes starts together?'



    Thanks in advance,

    Flunksch
    Last edited by Flunksch; Sep 19 2013 at 10:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    389
    Hunter is a hardcore DPS so I think a Minstrel would go well to provide healing and then you'll both be able to just burn through the content real easy!

    I envy you...I wish I had a partner to play with.

    **edit** oh I just noticed your other question. If you both choose the same race, then you'll both share the same starting area.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,707
    Actually, don't dwarves and elves both start together? Though perhaps only through the starting area and then get separated within Ered Luin when they come out... not sure, never made a dwarf.

  4. #4
    In my opinion, there isn't any class that wouldn't make a decent pairing with a Hunter.
    You could go for a Tankish Warden, Guardian or Champion to keep aggro off of her. you could go for a Healerish Minstrel, Rune-Keeper or Captain to keep her alive. You could go go for a crowd-controlish Loremaster or Burglar to handle any adds. And, of course, you could duo as another Hunter to double up on DPS.

    A side from that, after the tutorial, Elves and Dwarfs start in their own introduction area, and Men and Hobbits start in a different area. Each introduction area shouldn't last more than 20 minutes.
    After that, each race is sent to their own starting area; Elves and Dwarfs in Ered Luin (Elves to the South; Celondim, Dwarfs to the North; Thorin's Hall), Hobbits in the Shire, and Men in Archet (next to Bree). But, even then, if you start in different area, you can simply take a swift travel between the 4 starter area to join up.

    Personally, I prefer the Elven starter quest line over all others.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks ALOT for the answers, ill look up ministrel.

    and thanks, im also glad I can play with her, its quite funny to play with my girlfriend

  6. #6
    It doesn't really matter what class. You can actually run in, mash keyboard and hit everything, as long as you're a duo. Stuff dies. Lotro is very forgiving in terms of skill rotation while doing landscape stuff.

    Anyway, I wouldn't pick a Minstrel to go with a Hunter as my first choice. Minstrels can't heal their buddies in Warspeech (dps stance used for landscape questing). It will get tiresome dropping stance to heal, than re-applying stance to do okay dps again. You want to play a class that can support and dps the same time, or tank a bit if the Hunter is taking to much damage. I would go Captain + Hunter myslef. Than you can heal her, revive her, buff her, tank stuff if needed and do okay dps at the same time.

    Seeing how Captains are humans, you will not get the same introduction area the first 1-5 levels though. That might be a problem. But we are talking about 20 minutes of very easy playtime here. After that you can group all the way to level cap. In Lotro you can choose freely if you want to start levelling in Shire, Bree or Ered Luin.

    But than again, all classes works nicely as a duo for landscape. If you want the same introduction area (Thorins Gate) you would have to play dwarf or elf. Champion dwarf and elf Hunter makes a really nice and fun pair for questing. You kill stuff before they even touch you. Champions have some threat/aggro skills to save squishy Hunters as well, decent survivability on their own and awesome dps.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,277
    Since landscape mobs are relatively easy to go through, you could both play elf hunters and be fine. In fact, you would probably level _slightly_ faster.

    If you get into skirmishes and more challenging content, that is when you will be more likely to appreciate having a healer around.


    The advantage of your playing another class with her hunter and then switching up and you playing a hunter with her minstrel, or whatever second class she likes, is that you will always be able to take advantage of hunter ports.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
    Anyway, I wouldn't pick a Minstrel to go with a Hunter as my first choice. Minstrels can't heal their buddies in Warspeech (dps stance used for landscape questing). It will get tiresome dropping stance to heal, than re-applying stance to do okay dps again. You want to play a class that can support and dps the same time, or tank a bit if the Hunter is taking to much damage. I would go Captain + Hunter myslef. Than you can heal her, revive her, buff her, tank stuff if needed and do okay dps at the same time.

    Minis can heal in Warspeech, actually, but it's only one skill.

    If you use (Improved) Chord of Salvation in Warspeech, it becomes (Improved) Chord of My Salvation. The initial heal is you only, but party members get a heal over time effect for 20 seconds. It's not a whole lot, but my 85 mini can heal 105-140 every two seconds for 20 seconds with a 13 second cooldown (15 secs without the LI removing 2 secs from it) on the skill, so I can have it up at all times for a constant HoT effect.

    It's not a lot, but it should be enough to make things a lot easier if you wanna be a DPS mini with a hunter partner (which is what my Mini was from start to level cap).

    Picture
    Last edited by LethalLethality; Sep 19 2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    Minis can heal in Warspeech, actually, but it's only one skill.

    If you use (Improved) Chord of Salvation in Warspeech, it becomes (Improved) Chord of My Salvation. The initial heal is you only, but party members get a heal over time effect for 20 seconds. It's not a whole lot, but my 85 mini can heal 105-140 every two seconds for 20 seconds with a 13 second cooldown (15 secs without the LI removing 2 secs from it) on the skill, so I can have it up at all times for a constant HoT effect.

    It's not a lot, but it should be enough to make things a lot easier if you wanna be a DPS mini with a hunter partner (which is what my Mini was from start to level cap).

    Picture
    You could also set the minstrel up in Harmony stance, which turns the coda into a healing and damaging AoE attack. I used it a lot when doing landscape quests with friends, since I could kick in heals and damage at the same time. It also lowers the cooldown on Noble Cause, which helps make the mini a little more capable in melee.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,679
    I have a friend who is a Hunter and when showing her the ropes, the class that played best were Minstrel and Rune-keeper. RK has to be unlocked, so I also recommend Minstrel. For easy content, you can use your DPS to make stuff die before it gets to you. For more challenging content, you have heals and some crowd-control to keep the fights manageable. Plus, you get to kill stuff WITH MUSIC... how cool is that?
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,696
    I had a guardian that grouped with a hunter very often at low levels, before the made the game easier. It was a bit frustrating because most things would die before I could it even once. So I turned that into a challenge of trying to anticipate where enemies would run and attempt to intercept them and hold aggro for a few seconds until it died.

    So in that sense, a melee-only class combined with hunter has a good chance of being boring if the hunter is halfway decent, or at least until the game gets harder. If you do want melee then try taking on much larger groups at once, 3-5 at a time maybe.

    Lore master could be a good choice maybe. The ranged attacks means you won't be competing to see who hits first, you're able to rez when things go wrong, if the fight is hard then all the debuffs will help, and because lore master I found to be the hardest soloing class at low levels and thus needs some help.

    Overall though, any class is going to work if the hunter is patient and lets melee classes get in range before one-shotting the enemies. With upcoming class changes, I think some of the alternate builds (anything not max-dps) may be interesting as part of a duo; Trapper of Foes maybe to be something other than pew-pew.

  12. #12
    Any ranged class should pair well with a hunter.

    Hunter + Burglar was the worse duo I ever tried.

  13. #13
    Minstrel or Lore-master would be my suggestion. A hunter at low levels does a ton more damage than most other classes and if you go with a class that uses melee weapons you will find you are going to end up running around behind enemies as they run over to beat up the hunter. With a Minstrel or Lore-master you don't have to run anywhere, you can just focus on using spells to damage enemies before they kill the hunter or heal or stun them.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Space Coast, Florida
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunksch View Post
    Hi.

    Basically my girlfriend and I wants to play this game, we're both so 'newbies' to the game.

    She wants to play hunter elf. We want to level up together. So basically, what should I take that fits into the hunter? She has no(besides a bit of DCUO) knowledge of MMORPG in generel, so she pretty much just runs in and hit everything and hope she survives so I have to 'carry' her while also deal some damage. - I can maybe convince her to play something else, if any other duo classes is better. Aslong as she plays something that is easy!

    Also which classes starts together?'



    Thanks in advance,

    Flunksch
    First off, Hunter is NOT a 'run in and hit everything' type of class. That description sounds like a Champion. Hunters stand at range and wear medium armour so they have to be ready to run away when they pull too many mobs at one time.

    As for starting together, Hobbits and Men both run a starter instance in Archet while the Elf and Dwarf starter area is at Thorin's Hall. After you exit these areas, each race goes to a different town to quests designed around their race.

    However, if you decide to play different races, once you exit the starter area, any character can get a ride at a stable for 1s to a different starter area and do the quests there. This allows her elf to go to your starter area or for you to go to hers if you play some other race.
    [CENTER][B][I][COLOR=yellow]LOTRO proves that Middle Earth is Hobbit Forming![/COLOR][/I][/B][/CENTER]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Posts
    3,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunksch View Post
    Hi.

    Basically my girlfriend and I wants to play this game, we're both so 'newbies' to the game.

    She wants to play hunter elf. We want to level up together. So basically, what should I take that fits into the hunter? She has no(besides a bit of DCUO) knowledge of MMORPG in generel, so she pretty much just runs in and hit everything and hope she survives so I have to 'carry' her while also deal some damage. - I can maybe convince her to play something else, if any other duo classes is better. Aslong as she plays something that is easy!

    Also which classes starts together?'



    Thanks in advance,

    Flunksch
    I would support the captain.

    We produce sizable DPS while also carrying the ability to heal, you can still heal good in DPS traits, and vice versa. Really complicated class, but a good starting class if you want to know the basics of all classes. You really learn a lot about other classes as a captain

    Glorgnorbor
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore
    ____________________________

    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    4,178
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    I would support the captain.

    We produce sizable DPS while also carrying the ability to heal, you can still heal good in DPS traits, and vice versa. Really complicated class, but a good starting class if you want to know the basics of all classes. You really learn a lot about other classes as a captain

    Glorgnorbor
    I second the Captain. Not really that complicated if you learn your skills as you level up, and working in a duo you'll get a better chance to learn them than you would soloing. You'll learn how to redirect aggro from the Hunter to yourself, and you can absorb the damage easier as a heavy armor class. Easy to keep yourself and your Hunter friend healed up. You also gain a lot of buffing skills as you level, so you both do more damage, have more morale, get better crit damage, etc. Lots of options there.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Near the Equator
    Posts
    287
    Captain, Minstrel, RK or LM. Having heals makes your life so much better.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Czech republic
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Mildford View Post
    Captain, Minstrel, RK or LM. Having heals makes your life so much better.
    I got hunter-85 and if I have to choose companion it would be tanking close-combatant!
    1.) Captain - He can tank and heal at the same time, you can easily finish 3-men instances
    2.) Guardian, Warden - They will keep foes off you, warden can heal you a little on higher levels
    3.) Champion - You will become fast killing duo-machine but you will lack heal capabilities
    Elves - Dusreth (HNT104), Dusriel (RK98), Dusaran (WRD70), Dusraen (LM56), Dusador (GRD44),
    Mortals - Dusgar (CPT36), ...
    Laurelin server

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fangorn Forest
    Posts
    348
    [QUOTE=Jadowyn;6927963
    As for starting together, Hobbits and Men both run a starter instance in Archet while the Elf and Dwarf starter area is at Thorin's Hall. After you exit these areas, each race goes to a different town to quests designed around their race. [/QUOTE]

    Note that once you wind up in the "different town assigned by race" you can [somewhat] simply go to any of the other starting areas. Once you get to a stable, you should (hopefully) be able to fast travel to any other starting locations. I'm less sure about the Man location, as I don't think you can reach Combe by fast travel from the other areas (unless you've been to Combe as a VIP). This shouldn't be a problem as Combe gives less bonuses used later than any other location.

    Elves wind up in Celondim. The stable is in the lower section, and should be near the milestone.

    Dwarves wind up in Thorin's Gate. The stable is at the base of the whole structure, across from where the Dourhands were.

    Hobbits wind up in Little Delving. The stable is in Michel Delving (taking the mail gives you a speed boost + quest completion), so just keep following the road forever more until you get to the stable.

    Men wind up in Archet. You will have to make your way to the West side of Bree to find a stable that can take you to Celondim (Bree is mostly uphill past Combe. Your little orange arrows on the map should point the direction).

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by shann81 View Post
    I got hunter-85 and if I have to choose companion it would be tanking close-combatant!
    1.) Captain - He can tank and heal at the same time, you can easily finish 3-men instances
    2.) Guardian, Warden - They will keep foes off you, warden can heal you a little on higher levels
    3.) Champion - You will become fast killing duo-machine but you will lack heal capabilities
    There is nothing more misserable than being a champion duoing with a hunter. You end up spending all your time chasing mobs the hunter pulls aggro on.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by shann81 View Post
    I got hunter-85 and if I have to choose companion it would be tanking close-combatant!
    1.) Captain - He can tank and heal at the same time, you can easily finish 3-men instances
    2.) Guardian, Warden - They will keep foes off you, warden can heal you a little on higher levels
    3.) Champion - You will become fast killing duo-machine but you will lack heal capabilities
    Minis can tank pretty damned well, especially early on when they don't have threat reduction LIs. Even now, I don't put points into threat reduction as I want to draw attention to myself to take some of the pressure of the hunter I play with.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,203
    My favorite class is a Capt, but I'd avoid it with a hunter in a duo. Capt/Champ = awesome. Capt/Hunter = capt rarely gets to actually hit things as hunter nukes them from range. If you want to make hard content pretty safe, Guard(or warden if you are up for it)+Hunter is very strong. But Mini/Hunter or RK/Hunter are very strong too.

  23. #23
    I finally got my wife into the game about 3 months ago, and she was like your GF - wanted to play an elf hunter. I picked a Guard, and we're having a grand time. We're hitting 40's now, and it's been a pretty smooth ride.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    45
    I'd recommend an LM for sure, heals , ranged dps, crowd control, debuffs, what's not to love, works perfectly with a hunter:-)
    [center][color=yellow]The Mellowship/Eldar[/color][/center]

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    My favorite class is a Capt, but I'd avoid it with a hunter in a duo. Capt/Champ = awesome. Capt/Hunter = capt rarely gets to actually hit things as hunter nukes them from range. If you want to make hard content pretty safe, Guard(or warden if you are up for it)+Hunter is very strong. But Mini/Hunter or RK/Hunter are very strong too.
    I'm with you. As a Captain I has the choice of standing around waiting for stuff to get close enough to hit, or trying to chase it as it went for the Hunter. I had a LOT more fun duoing with a hunter as a Minstrel or RK.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload