We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Swift Travel

  1. #1

    Swift Travel

    Hi all,
    I've been recently became VIP and also bought the quad pack with all the expansions so now i am only missing HD which is coming out November.
    My question has to do with Swift Travel. I am 21 lvl at the moment and i know that as a VIP i have the swift travel option available.
    Yesterday i went to North Downs, Esterdin and the stable master there had several options for swift travel but none of them available to me, they said required lvl 30 or unlocked through store.
    I know that as a VIP I don't have to unlock that through the store. So, can some1 please tell me which swift travel options i have as a lvl 21 and if all the other travels will be unlocked at lvl 31.
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    When you have swift travel, some destinations are unlocked from the start, and some have additional requirements to become unlocked, such as : min. character level (understandable), min. reputation in the destination region (e.g. acq, friend, ally), or having done a specific number of questions in the destination region.

    Oh, and I forgot an important condition : before you can swift travel to a destination, you have to have paid the local stable-master a visit first (or pay 1 Mithril coin) !

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    When you have swift travel, some destinations are unlocked from the start, and some have additional requirements to become unlocked, such as : min. character level (understandable), min. reputation in the destination region (e.g. acq, friend, ally), or having done a specific number of questions in the destination region.

    Oh, and I forgot an important condition : before you can swift travel to a destination, you have to have paid the local stable-master a visit first (or pay 1 Mithril coin) !
    First of all thanks for your quick response. I understand your answer, i though about these requirements too, but i don't quite understand why for example in Estendir there's no swift travel for me to go back to Bree, i have been there for all those previous lvls and questing there. So why i cannot swift back there?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmont View Post
    but i don't quite understand why for example in Estendir there's no swift travel for me to go back to Bree, i have been there for all those previous lvls and questing there. So why i cannot swift back there?
    Out of curiosity, have you talked to the Stablemaster at the west Bree gate? Don't just assume you have discovered a location simply because other Stablemasters have available routes to travel to that location.

    For example; In Moria, even though you've just entered for the first time, the Stablemaster at the Threshold knows the route to Dolen-View. But, if you don't actually talk to the Stablemaster at Dolven-View, by the time you get to 21st Hall's Stablemaster, you won't have access to the Swift travel back to Dolen-View.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you talked to the Stablemaster at the west Bree gate? Don't just assume you have discovered a location simply because other Stablemasters have available routes to travel to that location.

    For example; In Moria, even though you've just entered for the first time, the Stablemaster at the Threshold knows the route to Dolen-View. But, if you don't actually talk to the Stablemaster at Dolven-View, by the time you get to 21st Hall's Stablemaster, you won't have access to the Swift travel back to Dolen-View.
    I think so, yes. In general when ever i see a stable master i'll go and talk to him, but now that you mention it i cannot be sure, so i'll go and check it.
    So you're saying that there should be an option to go back to Bree if i've already discovered the west gate Bree stable master?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmont View Post
    for example in Estendir there's no swift travel for me to go back to Bree, i have been there for all those previous lvls and questing there. So why i cannot swift back there?
    I suppose you mean Esteldin in North-Downs ?

    I can only check in a couple of hours, but I'm quite sure you can travel back from Esteldin to West-Bree IF you are at least level 30 and IF you discovered the stable-master of West-Bree.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    I suppose you mean Esteldin in North-Downs ?

    I can only check in a couple of hours, but I'm quite sure you can travel back from Esteldin to West-Bree IF you are at least level 30 and IF you discovered the stable-master of West-Bree.
    Yes, sorry I mean Esteldin in North Downs, but if you say that i have to be at least lvl 30, then there is my problem cuase i am only 21 at the moment, lol
    anyway thanks for your replies.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmont View Post
    ..., but i don't quite understand why for example in Estendir there's no swift travel for me to go back to Bree, i have been there for all those previous lvls and questing there. So why i cannot swift back there?
    Short answer: because the devs decided you have to be lvl 30 to use swift travel for that route. I can't think of any realistic reason for such a requirement, id est quod est

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullr_of_Aesir View Post
    Short answer: because the devs decided you have to be lvl 30 to use swift travel for that route. I can't think of any realistic reason for such a requirement, id est quod est
    I suspect that back in the mists of time there used to be a reason, but for the past 2 years or so it hasn't made any sense. Maybe someday they'll get around to removing that.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullr_of_Aesir View Post
    I can't think of any realistic reason for such a requirement,
    It's somewhat a reward for hitting level 30 maybe. Also you have little reason to be in Esteldin much before 30 unless you're crafting, and Turbine doesn't seem to like low level master crafters that much, so that could be one reason.

    Finally, I honestly think that swift travel shrinks the world too much. When you can get from Isengard to Forochel in under a minute, then this means Middle Earth is a tiny place. (and running everywhere gets you a lot more money, since you find crafting nodes as you run, with more explore deeds and slayer deeds getting done that way too)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    and Turbine doesn't seem to like low level master crafters that much, so that could be one reason.
    I doubt that, considering they changed all crafting devices to be superior crafting devices.

    Thus, you only need to go to Estledin to do the initial Expert jeweller/tailor/woodcrafter quest or visit a guild. If you're just crafting, you can just stay in Bree.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    It's somewhat a reward for hitting level 30 maybe. Also you have little reason to be in Esteldin much before 30 unless you're crafting, and Turbine doesn't seem to like low level master crafters that much, so that could be one reason.

    Finally, I honestly think that swift travel shrinks the world too much. When you can get from Isengard to Forochel in under a minute, then this means Middle Earth is a tiny place. (and running everywhere gets you a lot more money, since you find crafting nodes as you run, with more explore deeds and slayer deeds getting done that way too)
    I totally agree with you that swift travel somehow shrinks the world, it's better running everywhere and experiencing the great world that Turbine created. On the other hand we have to admit that swift travel is a convenient and "easy" way to be whenever you want to be in seconds. I do believe that it should have been an option in game from lvl 20, at least for the VIP players.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Tyrol, sadly in Italy
    Posts
    4,242
    The level 30 requirement is there, live with it.

    It has always been there, also before f2p and mithril coins, so it's not a shop thing.
    Not so long ago, the game had less swift travel options, espescially in mid level areas, we are supposed to travel normally.

    There is a workaround to get to Rivendell quickly btw before being level 40.
    As level 15 you get the swift travel to Ost Guruth. From there the swift travel to Rivendell has no minimum level requirement.

    Before the Road to Erebor quest was introduced, my level 11 minstrel went to Rivendell on the bree starter horse
    Now you can talk to Gandalf in the Prancing Pony, accept the quest which ports you to Rivendell directly - I think that's possible from level 13 on.
    If you now abort the quest you can do this over and over again - or you use the Ost Guruth route.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,404
    That's normal. VIPS can use all the the stable travel options but they have to fullfil another requirements added to be VIP. Those are minimum level, discover location, completed deeds, reputation & some rides are 1 time use gated to epic quests only. VIPs have to work to earn the swift travel rides.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    I doubt that, considering they changed all crafting devices to be superior crafting devices.
    They also do many things to discourage low level crafters. Just player XP for crafting is a way to rush players along, so that you can't just stop and be a level 10 grand master without buying the xp disabler. All the best recipes now require high level reputation.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmont View Post
    On the other hand we have to admit that swift travel is a convenient and "easy" way to be whenever you want to be in seconds.
    Which is why it is something to be earned. When the game was new, you didn't even get a horse until level 35 and then only after an annoying quest (founders would get a weak horse at level 20 though). So a level requirement for swift travel should not be considered a hindrance really, the slow stable routes are still available (and give you time to get another slice of pie).

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,404
    Back in the day players have to earn everything, including the ridding skills with a set of like 4 prerequisite quest at level 35. People will run on foot until completed those ridding quest & sometimes way after if they didn't have 6g for a horse. 1 gold was a fortune!!!! They will not complain. They will thanks to have a stable ride sometimes, even if wasn't a swift ride.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Now you can talk to Gandalf in the Prancing Pony, accept the quest which ports you to Rivendell directly - I think that's possible from level 13 on.
    Apparently this route is not available anymore; the quest has been changed so its minimum level is 20 or so. My level 15 alt cannot get the quest now (silver quest ring indicating "quest available soon but not now"), but I haven't levelled them up to determine exactly what minimum level is required.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

  19. #19

    Confused as well

    As a new VIP - the ability to use swift travel seems to be totally random. For example - atm I am level 64 and just traveled from Rivendell stables to Echad Dunann. Now logically you would think I could use the swift travel option to go back to Rivendell, the Min level is 45 (I am above this) it is a "Discovered Route" and the option for swift travel is there - but all i get is a grayed out box with 35 silvers shown inside it - and yes I have about 100k gold atm so thats not the issue... and the same at other locations.... I have found this very confusing and very hit and miss...anyone have any clues or suggestions... Surprisingly swift travel to Echad Dagoras (lvl 50) IS available.... am I simply too high a level now to use the routes opened up at lvl 45?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray-Prescott View Post
    atm I am level 64 [...] I have about 100k gold atm
    Sarcasm?
    anyone have any clues or suggestions...
    Hover your mouse over the route in question and read the description.

    Sometimes Swift Travel destinations are locked by Deeds or by Reputation; http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Rocherves

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    4,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray-Prescott View Post
    As a new VIP - the ability to use swift travel seems to be totally random. For example - atm I am level 64 and just traveled from Rivendell stables to Echad Dunann. Now logically you would think I could use the swift travel option to go back to Rivendell, the Min level is 45 (I am above this) it is a "Discovered Route" and the option for swift travel is there - but all i get is a grayed out box with 35 silvers shown inside it - and yes I have about 100k gold atm so thats not the issue... and the same at other locations.... I have found this very confusing and very hit and miss...anyone have any clues or suggestions... Surprisingly swift travel to Echad Dagoras (lvl 50) IS available.... am I simply too high a level now to use the routes opened up at lvl 45?
    The Swift Travel in Eregion requires both a minimum level and completion of a number of quests in Eregion. The further south the stable, the more quests have to be completed.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    The Swift Travel in Eregion requires both a minimum level and completion of a number of quests in Eregion. The further south the stable, the more quests have to be completed.
    Thanks Nosdracir - but while that may be the case - there is no indication of what quests need to be done on the display - it shows that everything is fine - and yet the option is still grayed out... so you can understand my confusion... I am above the level, the route is discovered and I have the gold available... and the display says that swift travel is available - but I cant access it... very strange....but once again thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it



    @ HaleElven I apprecaite your post and the link - I will go and complete the relevant quests - the annoying point is that there is nothing displayed to indicate that quests are needed

    Once again if I can thank you both for taking the time to assist me - I appreciate it!

    Happy gaming
    Last edited by Dray-Prescott; Nov 05 2013 at 11:37 PM.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray-Prescott View Post
    the annoying point is that there is nothing displayed to indicate that quests are needed
    Did you read the rest of my post? Because you're wrong.

    Mouse over the route and it will tell what's required to use it.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray-Prescott View Post
    Thanks Nosdracir - but while that may be the case - there is no indication of what quests need to be done on the display - it shows that everything is fine - and yet the option is still grayed out... so you can understand my confusion... I am above the level, the route is discovered and I have the gold available... and the display says that swift travel is available - but I cant access it... very strange....but once again thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it
    I cant check at the moment, but for me the "blocked" Eregion routes shoved reason why they are locked in a pop-up windows, when i placed mouse cursor over these. Including the "need finish the deed "So and so"... There is no amount of quest told, only that you need complete the deed. And in deed itself is told the amount of quests to be completed.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter_of_Bree View Post
    I cant check at the moment, but for me the "blocked" Eregion routes shoved reason why they are locked in a pop-up windows, when i placed mouse cursor over these. Including the "need finish the deed "So and so"... There is no amount of quest told, only that you need complete the deed. And in deed itself is told the amount of quests to be completed.
    Not that is hard to go to your deed log & check how much quests you still need to complete for that deed.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload