We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tablet suggestions

Recently my Fiance and I moved into an actual house, our first real home. Every thing is great except we need a new solution to watch Netflix on our TV. In our apt we just ran an HDMI cable from my PC to the TV, but now we want to look a bit classier and not have a computer in our living room. I've thought about buying a wifi adapter for our TV and my PC (it's an old desktop that came without built in wifi), but I've heard some negative things about wifi adapters with Sony TV's. My next thought was to buy a cheap tablet and keep using and HDMI cable, which would also give me something to use during my lunch hour at work. Any suggestions on tablets, or are my misgivings about wifi adapters misplaced?
    "The LOTRO Store will offer convenience, not advantage." -Patience
    "These pots are only available in the store and they are not available via crafting. Nor do we have any plans for this to change right now." -Frelorn

I don't know much about tablets, but another option would be to hook a gaming console up to your TV and use that for watching netflix. I use an xbox 360 in my living room. Works great. I understand you want to be classy, so what you could do is buy the new xbox when it comes out in a couple months and use that, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by BackAgainAndThere View Post
    I don't know much about tablets, but another option would be to hook a gaming console up to your TV and use that for watching netflix. I use an xbox 360 in my living room. Works great. I understand you want to be classy, so what you could do is buy the new xbox when it comes out in a couple months and use that, hahaha.
    Somehow I think the Xbox one will be more expensive than a barebones tablet.
    "These pots are only available in the store and they are not available via crafting. Nor do we have any plans for this to change right now." -Frelorn

To get Netflix on your TV, you might want to check out the Google Chromecast, it's a small $35 device that hooks up to your TV and allows you to easily stream Netflix and other stuff to it. The Playstation 3 has great hi-def Netflix as well, but is more costly. The Roku streaming player might work for you as well.

The WD TV Live is another option - that's what I use for watching Netflix. It'll also handle pretty much any media file you throw at it,

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    To get Netflix on your TV, you might want to check out the Google Chromecast, it's a small $35 device that hooks up to your TV and allows you to easily stream Netflix and other stuff to it. The Playstation 3 has great hi-def Netflix as well, but is more costly. The Roku streaming player might work for you as well.
    Got the Chromecast, working great so far. I got some program called Plex that PC mag recommended to use to play vlc movies and stuff through a chrome tab, haven't tried that out yet though.

ChromeCast for the win.

There's many solutions. Here's a couple.

1. You could get a mini-xt pc quite cheap, the cases are pretty small and fit under your tv.

or

2. You could get an internet set top box, these are boxes specifically for plugging in a TV they look like a digital set top box but instead of an aerial plug in to the inter net and display lovefilm, youtube, facebook, netflix etc on your tv.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HMP2...ds=netflix+box
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]